Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

Not only flooding causing problems. Lane closure on Morrison St outside new development causing problems for drivers trying to get out of Morrison St. This happens every few weeks.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

On 17/11/2022 at 17:20, Stuart Lyon said:

Here we go again

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburghs-20mph-roads-plans-to-expand-speed-limit-to-90-per-cent-of-edinburgh-roads-3922433

Out for the usual consultation which they will ignore if it doesn't support their proposals.

Been 20mph in all towns in the entire Borders region for the last couple of years or so and it's a fecking farce, as some of the places have no more than a half dozen houses on the main road.  If you drive from the English border from Langholm up to say Peebles it'll take you at least an extra 20 to 30 minutes.

In saying that many don't bother to stick to it anyway, but I have seen the police pull people over and book them for speeding.

By all means have 20mph speed limit in built up residential streets but on main roads, no.

Scottish Borders Council did put it out to consultation just the other month back to see what the public thought about it, and had to withdraw it after a day or so because of the level of abuse they received, however it's a tick box exercise as the council will do what it wants regardless what the public think anyway.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Some nutter on Ferry Road today

That made me laugh a lot. 

What an advert for Hyundai. A lot more expensive cars would be absolutely ruined after that. 

Central Edinburgh is mediaeval / Georgian.  It wasn’t designed for cars.

Cumbernauld / Milton Keynes were.

If it’s made easier to drive into and through central Edinburgh more people will -> more congestion, more complaints.  Let’s make it even easier by building more roads and car parks. So what will we knock down to accommodate these new, faster roads and multi-storey car parks?  Or should we just go full Abercrombie & Plumstead and have an elevated Motorway through Princes Street Gardens?

(I’m not anti-car, BTW.  I think the bypass should be at least 3 lanes in each direction (not to mention having a roundabout in the middle of it….) and it’s astonishing that the main road to the M74 is the ridiculously s*** A702.)

Edited by FWJ

Regarding North Bridge - I’d imagine one of the problems is that it’s directly above one of the UK’s busiest railway stations with tens of 000s of people passing through it every day.

Impressive scaffolding looking up from Market Street though.  Good gig, whoever got that one!

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I won't be voting for Lib Dems then just for the attitude alone

I did see 3 (three) police officers in a 20mph zone the other day with a hairdryer out catching out motorists, it's a big job rather than preventing and solving crime 

While 3 chavvy motor trial biker's going well over the speed limit doing wheelies along Princes Street with no lights and helmets on terrorising road user's and pedestrians crossing the road with no police to be seen 

Will they fine cyclists and escooters going over 20mph and pedestrians running fast on pavements also? 

Also people farting inside public buildings causing bad smell pollution could well be a money spinner for the clowncil to pay for the trams and the North Bridge fiasco 

Tax tax tax and more tax is all you get from political figures just so they can pocket a wage rise for themselves 

Shanks said no

Reported this one on Friday 

CA397D3A-911B-430B-BDA1-B6BC367E6910.jpeg

On Wester Coates, rubble was flying over the wall into someone's garden

Edited by Shanks said no

Dennis Reynolds

Why the **** can you not turn left from Elm Row onto London Road. I had to go up and round the way back that was tailed back with busses trying to do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2022 at 13:00, Dennis Reynolds said:

Why the **** can you not turn left from Elm Row onto London Road. I had to go up and round the way back that was tailed back with busses trying to do the same.

Proof, if not already convinced that transport bosses are deliberately creating congestion, utter madness.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Chief cycling Da getting involved. It's such a bad junction. 

Yaaaaaaasssss, it's all kicking off because council road planners ain't got no common sense. Up and round the roundabout to venture along London road that you've already past on Elm Row 5 minutes prior, priceless. With the amount that they've howked up there, an underpass should've been dug...Central Prague, has many of these at major junctions.

Edited by OBE

Maroon Sailor

That Scott Arthur has got a lot to answer for with these ridiculous restrictions.

Absolute fecking idiots or tossers (maybe both) in the council.

Edinburgh has been turned in to a shithole by these goons

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I was reading on another site the rationale for this was that to accommodate a left turn here (and a pedestrian crossing) there would have to be a ‘all traffic stop’ element in the traffic light sequence.  By not allowing a left turn here it means the ‘green man’ is on for the pedestrians and traffic moves easier up Leith Walk.

The repositioning of the crossing is much better for pedestrians too (just as it is at the Haymarket end of Dalry Road)

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

One day, Edinburgh city planners are going to get Book 2: Bridges and Subways and things will get better.

:spoton:

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That Scott Arthur has got a lot to answer for with these ridiculous restrictions.

Absolute fecking idiots or tossers (maybe both) in the council.

Edinburgh has been turned in to a shithole by these goons

To be fair to Scott Arthur, he's been in the job 5 minutes, and I don't think his position is permanent.

They need to get their collective fingers out, though.

7 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

:spoton:

To be fair to Scott Arthur, he's been in the job 5 minutes, and I don't think his position is permanent.

They need to get their collective fingers out, though.

Looks like Cllr Arthur has been got at by the large Green lobby in his ward and by the jaggy jersey wearing planners and highways officials,He lookedpromising as if he might just bring some reality to  his remit(unlike the last incumbent who seemed to hate everything) but has crumbled very quickly.

Someone is going to get killed at that junction.  That'll probably be what it takes for the council to do something about it. 

Doesn't matter if you don't agree with the left turn restriction, the fact is people are crossing the road with a green light. You do not get to drive through that. 

If someone drove their car at me whilst I was crossing on a green man like some of the cars in that clip, they'd be driving around with half as many wingmirrors as they started the day with :lol:

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Someone is going to get killed at that junction.  That'll probably be what it takes for the council to do something about 

I say the same about cyclists going through red lights. Seen it so many times I think it's only a matter of time.

I was going down that way this morning and saw four cars go through in just one sequence - some on their horns like the pedestrians were at fault.

Short of having a cop or camera placed there permanently I’m not sure what more can be done.  There are ‘no left turn’ signs on all the lights and a big temporary one too.  The shape of the junction makes it difficult to turn left and there are three bollards there as well.  It’s as clear as can be it’s prohibited.  

Howdy Doody Jambo

So the Mcdonald Road Fire 🔥 Services to attend an emergency have to go up Leith Walk no left turn, so straight up to Picardy Place roundabout and back down to the same junction more often behind a queue of buses, traffic, cyclist's and Trams in both directions to Turn Right onto London Road and East bound 

Who signed this off really needs to question their own logic and give an explanation or is it just to cause mayhem, accidents and antagonise all road user's and pedestrians? 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

41 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

So the Mcdonald Road Fire 🔥 Services to attend an emergency have to go up Leith Walk no left turn, so straight up to Picardy Place roundabout and back down to the same junction more often behind a queue of buses, traffic, cyclist's and Trams in both directions to Turn Right onto London Road and East bound 

Who signed this off really needs to question their own logic and give an explanation or is it just to cause mayhem, accidents and antagonise all road user's and pedestrians? 

I read elsewhere that it’s to ease the flow of traffic up Leith Walk.  Otherwise, in order to have a pedestrian crossing, there would have to be an ‘all traffic stop’ phase in the traffic light sequence.

As for emergency vehicles - this isn’t the only prohibited turn in Edinburgh.  I’m not sure if they’re exempt in an emergency - I’m pretty sure they’re not allowed down one-way streets in any circumstance for eg.

Tell you what is a pain in the a**e - the roadworks at the end of Gorgie Road at Stenhouse Mill.  Took me 40 minutes to get down Chesser Avenue to the Shell Station at Stenhouse tonight 

Elm Row/London Road free-for-all...🎲

Glued plastic bollards in to deter the left turners, drivers just skittled them all over the shop. Bollards have been re-glued in situ, but now with a community police officer standing behind them, cardboard cutout would've done the job, no?

Dennis Reynolds

Duke Street and Great Junction Street in Leith back to being two way. Was an absolute breeze this morning.

Edit. Additionally, Albert Street is open again over the Christmas Period. 

Edited by Dennis Reynolds

13 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Duke Street and Great Junction Street in Leith back to being two way. Was an absolute breeze this morning.

Edit. Additionally, Albert Street is open again over the Christmas Period. 

Great Jct/Duke St and Barnard/Baltic St should've been completed 1st, not last...I wonder why.

Edited by OBE

• 2 weeks later...

Latest road management at Haymarket includes a Pelican crossing 10 yards short of existing lights at the end of Dalry Road! Who thinks-up these things?

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Latest road management at Haymarket includes a Pelican crossing 10 yards short of existing lights at the end of Dalry Road! Who thinks-up these things?

Roseburn is a nightmare as well now. I've noticed they've changed the road lay out there

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Been that way a few times.

It’s absolutely farcical.

Even a child wouldn’t think that one up.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Chas Booth. Apparently that's Gaelic for 'Utter Wankpiece'.

There are now  more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic speakers. And of course far far more in the central belt.

Queens Street ironworks(manhole covers)

Every single one just about has sank.

There's one where you can see the depression on the tar around the biscuit(iron manhole cover sits on brick on top of this)

That's simply bad compaction and bad workmanship.

There seems to be no tests done anymore to check reinstatement.

And Charlotte Square is an effing disgrace.

I've also looked at the prepped steel before concrete pour on the tramline down Leith.

This should be clean of debris.

Guaranteed concrete fail on this within months mark my words. 

I'm a right many git the night.

But I remember when I was on the roads.

We couldn't tar nothing till a CBR test (compaction) was passed.

Moany

Edited by Ked

Hannibal Lecter
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I like to pretend I'm in some sort of post-apocalyptic hellscape when driving there. One in which my car has three lives.

Kilgraston Road is starting to get the same way, there is one about half way on the upside you would disappear down if you hit it.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

There are now  more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic speakers. And of course far far more in the central belt.

And more Urdu speakers. Just how many Edinburgh citizens or visitors who speak Gaelic don’t also speak English?
Absolute gesture-driven stuff!

Maroon Sailor
34 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/ccwel/news/article/39/project-update-newsletter-december-2022

Latest news on the Roseburn to Haymarket cycleway. 

Its my understanding that this means Haymarket Terrace will close to all eastbound traffic for 6 months between March and October.

It's going to be a nightmare to turn right on to Roseburn Street

Howdy Doody Jambo

It just never stops the chaos, waste of millions of tax payers money and city council incompetence  for exactly what? 

It must be costing about £75000 a cyclist 🚴