Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

The Liberton brae has to be narrowed every now and then so holes can be dug, barriers put up and then nothing happening for months.

And if there is anything wrong with any road in Edinburgh, road works always have to take place at the Kaimes crossroads.

Edited by Australis

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

il Duce McTarkin
20 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Good news and hopefully the new administration can sort out the cycle lane mess at Longstone .

Scott Arthur is highly thought of in his ward, is very visible on social media, and is definitely a listener.

I'm sure he'll be better than MacInnes, although the job is a poisoned chalice and he'll never keep everyone happy.

Stuart Lyon

Next should be the removal of the road narrowing in Corstorphine High St. Traffic heading west gets stopped a matter of ft from the sharp left hand bend into the High St. Very dangerous. They've no introduced a similar road layout at Newton which has only succeeded in causing congestion. Who thinks-up these ideas?

30 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Next should be the removal of the road narrowing in Corstorphine High St. Traffic heading west gets stopped a matter of ft from the sharp left hand bend into the High St. Very dangerous. They've no introduced a similar road layout at Newton which has only succeeded in causing congestion. Who thinks-up these ideas?

that junction is a mare. I’d say it was probably thought up by a blind drunk monkey but that’s not fair on them. Incredible stuff. I’m sure the Council just get the crayons out and have a drunk party with maps and whatever mess they make up they pass. 

jamb0_1874
14 hours ago, jonesy said:

I'd imagine subsidy/funding from central government for bus lane creation was a strong factor.

Is that the Scottish government who have recently admitted they have a funding gap on road and infrastructure projects! Yet money is being spent on useless bus lanes, or putting bus lanes on non standard bus routes? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-61728712

jamb0_1874
19 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

I was stuck heading to Hermiston Gate last night, first time I've ever seen a bus using it.

I'm genuinely interested on what kind of bus it was? As is it even a bus route? 

On 07/06/2022 at 21:22, Stu_HMFC said:

Grid lock on Crewe Rd North every morning and between 330 and 6pm at night with this fiber works!not a worker in sight! Cars jumping the lights buses unable to pass each other it’s mental down here. The road past Ainslie sports centre closed too diversions right along Pilton Ave onto Crewe Rd North making it worse.

They could have at least put some parking restrictions in place along Pilton Avenue, The in laws live there and when visiting last weekend I tried turning into the street and was stuck at the junction due to tailbacks on the opposite side and parked cars in front of me, took 15 mins just to get into the street

34 minutes ago, Ribble said:

They could have at least put some parking restrictions in place along Pilton Avenue, The in laws live there and when visiting last weekend I tried turning into the street and was stuck at the junction due to tailbacks on the opposite side and parked cars in front of me, took 15 mins just to get into the street

Why bother driving, jump on a bus for the short distance...Leith/Pilton? Not a dig, a serious question...:confused:

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Why bother driving, jump on a bus for the short distance...Leith/Pilton? Not a dig, a serious question...:confused:

Live in Dunfermline now

31 minutes ago, OBE said:

Jump on the 19 on Crewe Road North into town the bus doesn’t move for 10 minutes due to the traffic up to the Crewe toll roundabout 😂 

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

It’s mental my mother in law lives on that street too when they started the road works weeks ago they workers were that thick they blocked drives with cars in them. They also blocked my garden gate with fencing I took down myself to get my baby’s pram out, further down the street a girl I work with father in law lives there found excess tarmac found in his bush and his bins they decided to use and hide. It’s a complete shit show. 

when you went down PA you should of cut into the flats the old school would of taken you out onto the main road. 

10 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

when you went down PA you should of cut into the flats the old school would of taken you out onto the main road. 

was coming up from past scotmid so just turned in, was first visit since the roadworks had started otherwise I would have

maroondevo52
4 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I'm genuinely interested on what kind of bus it was? As is it even a bus route? 

It was a private bus, like I said It's the first bus I've seen using the lane and I drive that route every day returning from Glasgow.

They worked on it for a while and it now looks open, I take it it will be a bus route shortly.

1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Jump on the 19 on Crewe Road North into town the bus doesn’t move for 10 minutes due to the traffic up to the Crewe toll roundabout 😂 

Savvy bus users get the bus up town from Crewe Rd South...:thumbsup:

Or walk, avoiding the dug shite!

Edited by OBE

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, jonesy said:

I wouldn't equate anyone who rides the peasant wagon with being Savvy, bud.

:spoton:

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

...k's sake!

£1.80 single ticket v £1.88 a litre of fuel, equate away Jones...

Edited by OBE

Fxxx the SPFL
42 minutes ago, jonesy said:

free bus pass helps :whistling: = extra :toasting:

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

30 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

free bus pass helps :whistling: = extra :toasting:

50p a unit of booze, might help fund the ¿free? bus passes...😀

Fxxx the SPFL
44 minutes ago, OBE said:

50p a unit of booze, might help fund the ¿free? bus passes...😀

:lol:

been here before
2 hours ago, OBE said:

...k's sake!

£1.80 single ticket v £1.88 a litre of fuel, equate away Jones...

£1.80 to sit in a packed bus full of grotty *******s spreading their germs, screaming bairns, jakies arranging deals on their phones, wee schemie dicks playing music on their phones, travelling at 10mph, stopping every 200 yards driven by some surly ******* who doesnt really give a **** about his passengers and would rather eat his own shite than be of any assistance. Then the prospect of doing it all over again on the return journey for another for another £1.80 if you can get on the bus thats taken 15 minutes to turn up.

Or

£1.88 to get you somewhere and back in the relative comfort of your own motor, on your jack or with company of your choice, music or radio of your own choosing. Air conditioned or heated to your preference.

Its a puzzler.

31 minutes ago, been here before said:

£1.80 to sit in a packed bus full of grotty *******s spreading their germs, screaming bairns, jakies arranging deals on their phones, wee schemie dicks playing music on their phones, travelling at 10mph, stopping every 200 yards driven by some surly ******* who doesnt really give a **** about his passengers and would rather eat his own shite than be of any assistance. Then the prospect of doing it all over again on the return journey for another for another £1.80 if you can get on the bus thats taken 15 minutes to turn up.

Or

£1.88 to get you somewhere and back in the relative comfort of your own motor, on your jack or with company of your choice, music or radio of your own choosing. Air conditioned or heated to your preference.

Its a puzzler.

1st paragraph leans towards a scene from a new Irvine Welsh movie. When was the last time you saw a packed bus, novelty nowadays?

A litre of fuel would get you 8.8 miles in something returning 40mpg, get your pumps on and walk it, your part of the problem... 

been here before
9 minutes ago, OBE said:

1st paragraph leans towards a scene from a new Irvine Welsh movie. When was the last time you saw a packed bus, novelty nowadays?

A litre of fuel would get you 8.8 miles in something returning 40mpg, get your pumps on and walk it, your part of the problem... 

Ok so out of all the bits in my first paragraph Ill concede they might not be packed :rofl:

I tend to walk or cycle. Im far from part of the problem. I honestly couldnt tell you the last time I used a bus.

**** that misery.

Edited by been here before

11 minutes ago, been here before said:

I tend to walk or cycle. Im far from part of the problem. I honestly couldnt tell you the last time I used a bus.

**** that misery.

You described a typical bus journey, it's a misery you said :rolleyes:, but you can't recollect when you were last on a bus, so how do you know it's all Irvine Welsh?...🤷‍♂️

been here before
9 minutes ago, OBE said:

You described a typical bus journey, it's a misery you said :rolleyes:, but you can't recollect when you were last on a bus, so how do you know it's all Irvine Welsh?...🤷‍♂️

Well Sherlock, see the last time I was on bus... or when I hear people talking about their journey into work... or the fact loads of people enclosed will spread germs, Im lretty sure thats not changed. Any time Ive seen them they still appear to be trundling slowly along, stopping every couple of hundred yards...

Im sure you can work it out.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Well Sherlock, see the last time I was on bus... or when I hear people talking about their journey into work...

Im sure you can work it out.

Jakies, screaming weans on the same bus as early morning commuters, I'll never have enough time to work that one out chief... 

been here before
3 minutes ago, OBE said:

Jakies, screaming weans on the same bus as early morning commuters, I'll never have enough time to work that one out chief... 

You're the only one mentioning early morning commuters.

Take all the time you need.

I never imagined anyone could  get so defensive about someone else thinking bus journeys are miserble experiences.

Very odd.

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

You're the only one mentioning early morning commuters.

Take all the time you need.

I never imagined anyone could  get so defensive about someone else thinking bus journeys are miserble experiences.

Very odd.

You think bus journeys are miserable, but you've not actually experienced them...Thanks bhb, you've helped me kill a boring hour...I'm away to catch ma bus and score some gear..see ya...:biggrin2:

been here before
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

The case for the prosecution...

3 minutes ago, OBE said:

You think bus journeys are miserable, but you've not actually experienced them...Thanks bhb, you've helped me kill a boring hour...I'm away to catch ma bus and score some gear..see ya...:biggrin2:

...rests.

jamb0_1874
6 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

It was a private bus, like I said It's the first bus I've seen using the lane and I drive that route every day returning from Glasgow.

They worked on it for a while and it now looks open, I take it it will be a bus route shortly.

Time will tell!!

• 1 month later...

Foot of the Walk junction & Bernard, Baltic & Constitution St junctions being completed last...deliberate (creating congestion) or incompetent planning?

Dennis Reynolds
2 hours ago, OBE said:

Foot of the Walk junction & Bernard, Baltic & Constitution St junctions being completed last...deliberate (creating congestion) or incompetent planning?

A bit of both. Drove to the vets this morning and it's an absolute nightmare. When you the think it can't get worse, it does. The amount of closed roads and diversions is outrageous. What makes it worse is the diversions also end up having roadworks on them. I noticed Easter Road had temp traffic lights on it. It's no wonder folk would rather drive as at least you can change your route. 

indianajones

Drove through Edinburgh for the first time in a while last weekend.

What a disaster that City has become. 

Can you even call them roads anymore? The roads in Eastern Ukraine are in better condition. 

41 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

A bit of both. Drove to the vets this morning and it's an absolute nightmare. When you the think it can't get worse, it does. The amount of closed roads and diversions is outrageous. What makes it worse is the diversions also end up having roadworks on them. I noticed Easter Road had temp traffic lights on it. It's no wonder folk would rather drive as at least you can change your route. 

Happening too often to be coincidences...:(

5 busses queueing on London Rd last night to turn left onto these temps, a few horns being sounded... 

25 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Obviously increasing the pollution levels to almost enough to vindicate the LEZ farce. Also It wouldnt be Edinburgh without a massive increase in cost and a massive delay.

luckyBatistuta
36 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Not even remotely surprised by this. Yes, I’d rather it was safe and if that means taking longer then fair enough, but meanwhile they’re still digging up more and more roads everywhere you turn and they just lie they’re for weeks, sometimes months and you never see any ####er working on them. 
Anybody any idea what remarkable new brainwave they’ve had for the Fairmilehead crossroads. 4 way temporary lights there and all the existing traffic lights that were there have been completely dug out and removed🤷🏼‍♂️ and also done at the same time as temporary 3 way lights have been at Hunters Tryst AGAIN!!!  How many times have we had temporary lights at Hunters Tryst in the last 18 months, think that’s the 3rd/4th time now

The White Cockade

Only get back once a year but the roads are a shambles 

Ended up just parking on outskirts and getting the bus 

Has anybody been through the Straiton roundabout just up from Burdiehouse recently?

You take your life in your hands trying to get on that Was scary

I was recently down in Brentford for work and they they started resurfacing the road outside the hotel at around 10pm, must have done 3/400yards of road overnight and road open to traffic again by 7am, in edinburgh that road would have been closed for at least 3 to 4 weeks

Jambo_jim2001

Was in the central belt today, roadworks everywhere,I say that loosely, Falkirk is like Swiss cheese,holes dug everywhere, traffic lights and not a soul to be seen, seemingly been like that for a couple of months. Need to get some of the Celtic team to do the repairs .

images (1).jpeg

Screenshot_20220804-160139.png

Dennis Reynolds

They started resurfacing the road outside where I was getting married over a week before the big day with very little notice. The road was still closed on my wedding day. Wasn't the end of the world but I still hold a pretty big grudge about it. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

They started resurfacing the road outside where I was getting married over a week before the big day with very little notice. The road was still closed on my wedding day. Wasn't the end of the world but I still hold a pretty big grudge about it. 

One day you'll laugh about it.

il Duce McTarkin
15 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not even remotely surprised by this. Yes, I’d rather it was safe and if that means taking longer then fair enough, but meanwhile they’re still digging up more and more roads everywhere you turn and they just lie they’re for weeks, sometimes months and you never see any ####er working on them. 
Anybody any idea what remarkable new brainwave they’ve had for the Fairmilehead crossroads. 4 way temporary lights there and all the existing traffic lights that were there have been completely dug out and removed🤷🏼‍♂️ and also done at the same time as temporary 3 way lights have been at Hunters Tryst AGAIN!!!  How many times have we had temporary lights at Hunters Tryst in the last 18 months, think that’s the 3rd/4th time now

Good enough. The wankers that live up that way can afford helicopters.

Howdy Doody Jambo

This North Bridge farce? Should the clowncil  not have just replaced the whole thing with a brand new bridge,they will have been at it for over 5years and counting when this is repaired, sure it will be or knowing the clowncil patched up with a lick of paint to be dug up with plastic cones scattered all over it weeks later Surely it would have been much quicker, easier and cheaper to demolish and rebuild a new stronger structured bridge that could take the weight of the tram up which would be of benefit to the citizens of Edinburgh on a daily bases going up and down past the University,  museum's, going very close to the commonwealth pool, 2 shopping centres and onto the sick kids and Royal Infirmary Hospital's, Bioquarter etc 

The Queensferry crossing was built in less this time, the St James shopping centre in half this time

Why is this patch up repair taking sooo longgggg and is obviously going to go multiple times over the original budget and then repaired yet again shortly after ? 

Nothing is ever done right and properly in Edinburgh with the best interests or intentions for it's people with no common sense regarding it's merits, we just get awkward organised caos with an ever increasing clowncil tax bill for the bollards, plastic cones, road's and streets closed and fireworks where the bins are overflowing with trash and the seagulls and rat's feed off the overnight bin bags 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

• 4 weeks later...

Horror of horrors the CeC have voted to continiue Spaces for invisible Cyclists under experimental traffic powers - charlatans at it again. Also it looks like they have voted to extend bus lane times. Can't see the detail on the EEN site as its behind a paywall. 

been here before
8 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Horror of horrors the CeC have voted to continiue Spaces for invisible Cyclists under experimental traffic powers - charlatans at it again. Also it looks like they have voted to extend bus lane times. Can't see the detail on the EEN site as its behind a paywall. 

The Evening News hasnt been behind a paywall for months.

You could try using this though to get round whatever you're getting:

https://12ft.io/

Dennis Reynolds

A total of 37 projects, including cycle lanes and road closures, first introduced during the pandemic, will now be taken forward under Experimental Traffic Regulation Orders (ETROs).

But a bid by Labour transport convener Scott Arthur to hold community workshops with residents in two areas where there were particular concerns – Comiston Road and Braid Road schemes, linked with the Meadows Quiet Route; and the Silverknowes scheme – was defeated by a Green amendment, supported by the SNP.

Cllr Arthur said in both areas there remained significant concerns but local residents were constructive in their outlook and wanted to improve their communities. And he wanted to “upgrade” the engagement to “proper face-to-face meeting” with residents. He said it wasn’t about removing schemes, but improving them.

He noted that all parties were agreed that the majority of the Spaces for People schemes should continue – the Lib Dems and Conservatives had proposed scrapping the most unpopular ones.

But he said: "I acknowledge that over the last few years people feel let down by how councillors have dealt with this and they feel there was a lack of transparency. And I think collectively in this committee we have a duty to rebuild that trust."

He also voiced concern about the impact some schemes had had on public transport and said Lothian Buses had highlighted the effect the Waverley Bridge closure was having on them. The committee agreed to ask officials to propose solutions where possible.

Lib Dem group leader Kevin Lang echoed Cllr Arthur’s comments about rebuilding trust. He said: “I think the reputation of this council was very seriously damaged in the last term because of the way in which a lot of this word was taken forward. We need to signal to our constituents that when we ask for their views it matters and we will listen and try to make changes where we get very significant feedback.”

Tory transport spokeswoman Marie-Clair Munro said the most recent engagement process had produced a very low response and many residents felt it had been inadequate.

"When a well-publicised Spaces for People survey was put to residents across the city in 2021, 17,600 residents took part. While a petition on Change.org in 2021 surrounding Spaces for People had 16,809 signatures.” She argued the schemes which did not have public support should be ended.

Green Claire Miller said progressing the ETROs would be for the betterment of the city. “We believe strongly in providing that chance to trial measures on the street and use that trial to gather feedback.” But she rejected the Labour proposal for expanding the engagement for some schemes but not others.

The SNP’s Danny Aston noted that where, in England, measures introduced during the pandemic had been removed cycling had decreased to the lowest level on record. “We thought the model for best practice was in places like Denmark or Belgium, not our friends south of the border – Ghent, not Kent.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburghs-spaces-for-people-councillors-agree-to-extend-road-closures-and-bus-lanes-3828185