Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

Maroon Sailor

Not sure how they are going to control the traffic at the Roseburn Terrace now Russell Road junction. There used to be a right filter on to Roseburn Street from the Terrace but can't see how it works now as Eastbound traffic is down to a single lane.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

Shanks said no
33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not sure how they are going to control the traffic at the Roseburn Terrace now Russell Road junction. There used to be a right filter on to Roseburn Street from the Terrace but can't see how it works now as Eastbound traffic is down to a single lane.

They will probably publish a new newsletter like this one https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/ccwel/news/article/32/new-junction-layouts when everyone goes WTF have you created at Roseburn.

this is off the Council website.......

Roseburn cycling and walking improvements

Edited by Shanks said no

Harry Potter

Can anyone explain the total mess/ disruption at roseburn, been like this for months now,

is it ever going back to normal or maybe close to it, if possible.

Farcical.

13 hours ago, Hannibal Lecter said:

Kilgraston Road is starting to get the same way, there is one about half way on the upside you would disappear down if you hit it.

It has been filled-in!

Dennis Reynolds
58 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Kinell

Screenshot_20230105-104939_Chrome.thumb.jpg.303becb8883181857368f98ac1f40051.jpg

They had one of those on Leith walk and it got closed after around a month or two. 

Nasty one at the lights or just before, on Eastfield going to Mussy with junction of Milton Road east. One of those 'OOOh jah!!' folowed by the tight inhale. Easy to spot in daylight but dawn/dusk/night it's gonna get you, folks.

I was involved in some of the original changes (central Edinburgh) and traffic calming schemes/measures in the early to mid 90s, which was I'd say primarily aimed at pedestrain safety as you'd expect in the city centre, and indeed neighbourhoods subjected to more than their fair share of rat running traffic. There was also an element of keeping traffic safely flowing factored into the changes.

This current lot seem hell bent on killing traffic stone dead!

Edited by ArcticJambo

Maroon Sailor
40 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

They had one of those on Leith walk and it got closed after around a month or two. 

Not surprised

So a car has stopped at position A and a whole load of schoolkids with their teacher cross over, then a batch of cyclists come through, followed by more pedestrians trying to cross.

The car behind wants to turn left but can't because someone is on A so the traffic in to town is stopped and backed up to the lights at Roseburn Terrace.

Shanks said no

Walking along Wester Coates this afternoon

0CF85717-B1E5-45B3-9564-71F029A863CD.jpeg.f644a27dcbf880df12ed3d8357d7c26a.jpeg

Thought it was weird seeing so many hubcaps lying together, then I looked at the state of the road. The whole surface is crumbling with dozens of temporary repairs

4C54A902-6AED-46BB-BFAF-2039C92268FB.jpeg.c824256828642e27150ddf19e6cc3b39.jpeg

On 04/01/2023 at 20:13, Francis Albert said:

There are now  more Polish speakers in Scotland than Gaelic speakers. And of course far far more in the central belt.

Read an early copy of the census, have you? But hey, you and the other HJs keep killing all of Scotland's history. There's a good boy. 

You're one of the 3.5m immigrants in London stealing English folks jobs, are you not.

Our road systems must be on a par with Albania or worse.

Remember reading, an American diplomat being driven from Holyrood to the new Scottish Office at Leith docks. He asked why the limo was being driven on temporary road surfaces...:D what a ridder..

Harry Potter
48 minutes ago, OBE said:

Our road systems must be on a par with Albania or worse.

Remember reading, an American diplomat being driven from Holyrood to the new Scottish Office at Leith docks. He asked why the limo was being driven on temporary road surfaces...:D what a ridder..

An American tourist was in my garage, said to me, its a challenge driving on your roads, my reply,

its a challenge for us. 😕.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

An American tourist was in my garage, said to me, its a challenge driving on your roads, my reply,

its a challenge for us. 😕.

What fell off/burst/snapped on his rental?

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Read an early copy of the census, have you? But hey, you and the other HJs keep killing all of Scotland's history. There's a good boy. 

You're one of the 3.5m immigrants in London stealing English folks jobs, are you not.

Stealing jobs? You don't approve of immigration then. My impression is that many immigrants and their descendents both north and south of the border are rather keener to work than mamy natives.

I suppose we immigrants are stealing jobs in the same sense  millions of Scots emigrants have done for centuries.

And gaelic was not part of the history of the parts of Scotland where most of the native Scots  live and have always lived

And what is an HJ?

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Considering buying a tank for driving about Edinburgh. About the only way to manage the pothole. Absolute brutal in my motor. 

The London Borough of Bromley is just as bad. A huge pothole hidden under a bit of flooding from heavy rain/burst water main cost me £250 last week. The guy who came to fit a new tyre told us his next call was a car on the same road who had just lost 3 tyres to the same cause.

Buying a tank might be a good investment.

Shanks said no
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Stealing jobs? You don't approve of immigration then. My impression is that many immigrants and their descendents both north and south of the border are rather keener to work than mamy natives.

I suppose we immigrants are stealing jobs in the same sense  millions of Scots emigrants have done for centuries.

And gaelic was not part of the history of the parts of Scotland where most of the native Scots  live and have always lived

And what is an HJ?

I'd guess its a House Jock, FA. 

Francis Albert
54 minutes ago, Shanks said no said:

I'd guess its a House Jock, FA. 

Ah! Thanks. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Dennis Reynolds

York Place closed westbound till May. If only there had been major roadworks there recently that they could have done this work during....

Is my memory finally going?

Did Torphichen Place (the wee road between Torphichen Street and Morrison Street) used to be one-way west-bound, ie all lanes went towards Morrison Street?

5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Did Torphichen Place (the wee road between Torphichen Street and Morrison Street) used to be one-way west-bound, ie all lanes went towards Morrison Street?

Don't worry you're fine. They changed it some time between 2010 and 2012.

Just now, Meathook said:

Don't worry you're fine. They changed it some time between 2010 and 2012.

12 years ago?  Don’t know if that makes me feel better or worse!  🤣

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, FWJ said:

You’re not going insane as it was one way.

• 2 weeks later...

Nightmare journey from Longstone through to Yeaman Pl.  Lanark Rd reduced lanes from Longstone Rd to bottom Craiglockhart Avenue! The latter backed up to the north end. No right turn into Shandon Place and then 4-way temporary lights at the junction of Ardmillan Terrace and Harrison Gardens. CeC should be shot.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Nightmare journey from Longstone through to Yeaman Pl.  Lanark Rd reduced lanes from Longstone Rd to bottom Craiglockhart Avenue! The latter backed up to the north end. No right turn into Shandon Place and then 4-way temporary lights at the junction of Ardmillan Terrace and Harrison Gardens. CeC should be shot.

Between that and potholes I'm f*****g sick of this council. 

The number of people who have had ripped tyres is horrendous. 

EH's potholes force you to drive like a slalom kier!

While I'm at it what's the score with the road markings at the junction of Albany St/Abercromby Pl with Dublin St?

There are 4 sets of double white broken lines! WTF!

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

EH's potholes force you to drive like a slalom kier!

While I'm at it what's the score with the road markings at the junction of Albany St/Abercromby Pl with Dublin St?

There are 4 sets of double white broken lines! WTF!

Saw a sticker on the back of a car.

"I'm not drunk just avoiding the potholes."

Don't know anything about your questions. 

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Between that and potholes I'm f*****g sick of this council. 

The number of people who have had ripped tyres is horrendous. 

I got my tyre done a week before Christmas after hitting a pothole.

Normally you would just put the spare on and take the wheel to get a new tyre at your leisure, but most cars don't come with spares nowadays. 

After a lot of fecking around with the AA, I decided to get a taxi back home to pick up my van.

I then went back to the car to whip the wheel off and then took the wheel to Farmers.

The wife waited with the jacked up car in the freezing cold

What a shitty day that was :muggy:

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I got my tyre done a week before Christmas after hitting a pothole.

Normally you would just put the spare on and take the wheel to get a new tyre at your leisure, but most cars don't come with spares nowadays. 

After a lot of fecking around with the AA, I decided to get a taxi back home to pick up my van.

I then went back to the car to whip the wheel off and then took the wheel to Farmers.

The wife waited with the jacked up car in the freezing cold

What a shitty day that was :muggy:

Brutal. 

I'm not sure if it was on here or Facebook but someone's car airbags activated because they hit a pothole. 😭

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

More chaos! Temporary lights at west end of approach road causing lengthy tailbacks. Westfield Road closed for 2 weeks!

Farcical and that's putting it mildly. 

Kennedy Bakircioglu
7 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

More chaos! Temporary lights at west end of approach road causing lengthy tailbacks. Westfield Road closed for 2 weeks!

You should try walking or cycling. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Makes it that bit harder to squash the cyclists. 

Is that the ones that run red lights or all of them?:10900:

The Real Maroonblood
57 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I leave the pretty female ones to go about their day. MAMILs can get a close up of my tyres, however.

👍

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I always read this with interest. Most councils are inept and full of pen pushers but there’s a tone of arrogance about Edinburgh council - we’ll do what we want and you dicks who live here can just get on with it.

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I always read this with interest. Most councils are inept and full of pen pushers but there’s a tone of arrogance about Edinburgh council - we’ll do what we want and you dicks who live here can just get on with it.

That’s certainly what it seems like.

• 2 months later...
Stuart Lyon

The eight month closure of Haymarket Terrace eastbound lane is already causing chaos along the diversion. All for the sake of a fixed cycleway that will hardly be used. To their credit SGN are taking the opportunity to upgrade their network at the same time.

Viewforth closed again for the umpteenth time in recent months. 

On 25/01/2023 at 20:29, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Totally agree and CEC were definately a major factor in us deciding to move across the water to Dunfermline back in 2021, Fife Council while no where near perfect do seem to be a huge improvement on Edinburgh, couple of months ago I reported a pothole, inspected in 5 days and repaired inside a fortnight. 

Also Fife seem much more aligned with roadworks, yet to personally be affected by more than a single road closure, unlike Edinburgh where it's far too common for a route and the next 2 or 3 alternatives to all have roadworks at the same time.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
27 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Totally agree and CEC were definately a major factor in us deciding to move across the water to Dunfermline back in 2021, Fife Council while no where near perfect do seem to be a huge improvement on Edinburgh, couple of months ago I reported a pothole, inspected in 5 days and repaired inside a fortnight. 

Also Fife seem much more aligned with roadworks, yet to personally be affected by more than a single road closure, unlike Edinburgh where it's far too common for a route and the next 2 or 3 alternatives to all have roadworks at the same time.

I think the reason for that is that Edinburgh, like London, has no time for car drivers and try to make that as obvious as possible by making life as difficult as possible, or at least by making no effort to make things simple 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I think the reason for that is that Edinburgh, like London, has no time for car drivers and try to make that as obvious as possible by making life as difficult as possible, or at least by making no effort to make things simple 

Unfortunately it's at the stage that we just have to live with it.

It just goes on and on.

Stuart Lyon

I do think the EH and GW councils try to outdo each other; GW Council now wants the M8 within the city to be a 30mph zone!

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Digging and roadworks at the Kaimes crossroads seems never ending most of the time the past five years, constant digging they go away after a few weeks and come back constantly.

John Findlay

The work on the North Bridge has now taken four times longer than it did to build the bridge originally.

Has there ever been a bigger waste of money on a road than this cycle lane in Edinburgh ? The cost and inconvenience so far on a road that already had a bus & bike lane is ridiculous. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Has there ever been a bigger waste of money on a road than this cycle lane in Edinburgh ? The cost and inconvenience so far on a road that already had a bus & bike lane is ridiculous. 

It’s a farce.

It causes more congestion.