Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

Doctor FinnBarr
10 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

A total of 37 projects, including cycle lanes and road closures, first introduced during the pandemic, will now be taken forward under Experimental Traffic Regulation Orders (ETROs).

But a bid by Labour transport convener Scott Arthur to hold community workshops with residents in two areas where there were particular concerns – Comiston Road and Braid Road schemes, linked with the Meadows Quiet Route; and the Silverknowes scheme – was defeated by a Green amendment, supported by the SNP.

Cllr Arthur said in both areas there remained significant concerns but local residents were constructive in their outlook and wanted to improve their communities. And he wanted to “upgrade” the engagement to “proper face-to-face meeting” with residents. He said it wasn’t about removing schemes, but improving them.

He noted that all parties were agreed that the majority of the Spaces for People schemes should continue – the Lib Dems and Conservatives had proposed scrapping the most unpopular ones.

But he said: "I acknowledge that over the last few years people feel let down by how councillors have dealt with this and they feel there was a lack of transparency. And I think collectively in this committee we have a duty to rebuild that trust."

He also voiced concern about the impact some schemes had had on public transport and said Lothian Buses had highlighted the effect the Waverley Bridge closure was having on them. The committee agreed to ask officials to propose solutions where possible.

Lib Dem group leader Kevin Lang echoed Cllr Arthur’s comments about rebuilding trust. He said: “I think the reputation of this council was very seriously damaged in the last term because of the way in which a lot of this word was taken forward. We need to signal to our constituents that when we ask for their views it matters and we will listen and try to make changes where we get very significant feedback.”

Tory transport spokeswoman Marie-Clair Munro said the most recent engagement process had produced a very low response and many residents felt it had been inadequate.

"When a well-publicised Spaces for People survey was put to residents across the city in 2021, 17,600 residents took part. While a petition on Change.org in 2021 surrounding Spaces for People had 16,809 signatures.” She argued the schemes which did not have public support should be ended.

Green Claire Miller said progressing the ETROs would be for the betterment of the city. “We believe strongly in providing that chance to trial measures on the street and use that trial to gather feedback.” But she rejected the Labour proposal for expanding the engagement for some schemes but not others.

The SNP’s Danny Aston noted that where, in England, measures introduced during the pandemic had been removed cycling had decreased to the lowest level on record. “We thought the model for best practice was in places like Denmark or Belgium, not our friends south of the border – Ghent, not Kent.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburghs-spaces-for-people-councillors-agree-to-extend-road-closures-and-bus-lanes-3828185

No idea about Denmark (never been) but Belgium has a cracking cycle/moped network but all are off road instead of interfering with with traffic.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

Malinga the Swinga
11 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

A total of 37 projects, including cycle lanes and road closures, first introduced during the pandemic, will now be taken forward under Experimental Traffic Regulation Orders (ETROs).

But a bid by Labour transport convener Scott Arthur to hold community workshops with residents in two areas where there were particular concerns – Comiston Road and Braid Road schemes, linked with the Meadows Quiet Route; and the Silverknowes scheme – was defeated by a Green amendment, supported by the SNP.

Cllr Arthur said in both areas there remained significant concerns but local residents were constructive in their outlook and wanted to improve their communities. And he wanted to “upgrade” the engagement to “proper face-to-face meeting” with residents. He said it wasn’t about removing schemes, but improving them.

He noted that all parties were agreed that the majority of the Spaces for People schemes should continue – the Lib Dems and Conservatives had proposed scrapping the most unpopular ones.

But he said: "I acknowledge that over the last few years people feel let down by how councillors have dealt with this and they feel there was a lack of transparency. And I think collectively in this committee we have a duty to rebuild that trust."

He also voiced concern about the impact some schemes had had on public transport and said Lothian Buses had highlighted the effect the Waverley Bridge closure was having on them. The committee agreed to ask officials to propose solutions where possible.

Lib Dem group leader Kevin Lang echoed Cllr Arthur’s comments about rebuilding trust. He said: “I think the reputation of this council was very seriously damaged in the last term because of the way in which a lot of this word was taken forward. We need to signal to our constituents that when we ask for their views it matters and we will listen and try to make changes where we get very significant feedback.”

Tory transport spokeswoman Marie-Clair Munro said the most recent engagement process had produced a very low response and many residents felt it had been inadequate.

"When a well-publicised Spaces for People survey was put to residents across the city in 2021, 17,600 residents took part. While a petition on Change.org in 2021 surrounding Spaces for People had 16,809 signatures.” She argued the schemes which did not have public support should be ended.

Green Claire Miller said progressing the ETROs would be for the betterment of the city. “We believe strongly in providing that chance to trial measures on the street and use that trial to gather feedback.” But she rejected the Labour proposal for expanding the engagement for some schemes but not others.

The SNP’s Danny Aston noted that where, in England, measures introduced during the pandemic had been removed cycling had decreased to the lowest level on record. “We thought the model for best practice was in places like Denmark or Belgium, not our friends south of the border – Ghent, not Kent.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburghs-spaces-for-people-councillors-agree-to-extend-road-closures-and-bus-lanes-3828185

The SNP and Green parties are a disgrace to the city and its residents. Care more about fanciful targets and cosmetics than improving life for those who live here.

They should never be allowed to run council again.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thank goodness. Will improve traffic flow and reduce air pollution levels in one fell swoop.

Are they going to pull up the bollards?

I think they will have to as the cycle lane space will be needed to allow 2 way traffic.

That Spaces for Cyclists shitshow needs aborted ASAP.

Biggest cause of congestion (for buses and cars) and air pollution to pander to a sprinkling of very vocal cycling arseholes.

The zig-zag road markings at Drumbrae North combined with the bollards mean traffic gets backed up over the hill because the road becomes one lane instead of two, preventing traffic getting into lane.

Harry Potter
12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That Spaces for Cyclists shitshow needs aborted ASAP.

Biggest cause of congestion (for buses and cars) and air pollution to pander to a sprinkling of very vocal cycling arseholes.

The zig-zag road markings at Drumbrae North combined with the bollards mean traffic gets backed up over the hill because the road becomes one lane instead of two, preventing traffic getting into lane.

Would be better employed filling in the pot holes. clowns.com

Speaking as a very rare ex cyclist who cycled on roads.

I now ****ing hate the cyclist *******s.

Bad enough in a city, but roads all over reduced to snails pace until its safe to pass the pricks.

Edited by Tommy Brown

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/workplace-parking-levy-charge-could-be-up-to-ps650-a-year-raising-ps19-million-for-transport-investment-3898248

The CeC milking the motorist cash cow yet again. Blatantly ignoring the dire economic situation caused by the Tories which has left most households significantly poorer the Council want their pound of flesh. Trying to force people out of cars and onto a dire bus service is a nonsense. My experience of buses isn't a good one. Trying to get to the game on Thursday was the most recent nightmare. 

14 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/workplace-parking-levy-charge-could-be-up-to-ps650-a-year-raising-ps19-million-for-transport-investment-3898248

The CeC milking the motorist cash cow yet again. Blatantly ignoring the dire economic situation caused by the Tories which has left most households significantly poorer the Council want their pound of flesh. Trying to force people out of cars and onto a dire bus service is a nonsense. My experience of buses isn't a good one. Trying to get to the game on Thursday was the most recent nightmare. 

To be fair, I think Edinburgh has a good bus service.  

The Real Maroonblood
49 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Edinburgh has a great bus service in theory but these days in practice it’s pants.

Driver shortages and multiple roadworks certainly doesn’t help.

Dennis Reynolds

Aye the bus service right now is shit but a lot of that is caused by silly roadworks and diversions. Takes an absolute age to get anywhere on a bus at the moment and they tend to be rammed.

So many of the junctions have not had the road markings painted for years they are so faint almost gone.

Potholes everywhere.

Our beautiful Edinburgh has gone down hill so badly.

The bus service is fine - just so long as you don't need to be anywhere by a certain time. Getting the bus to and from work can take me anything up to 3.5 hours in total, versus 1.5 hours max by car. And I live right beside the terminus so there is not even a wait for the bus to work as I can see it from my window! 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

The bus service is fine - just so long as you don't need to be anywhere by a certain time. Getting the bus to and from work can take me anything up to 3.5 hours in total, versus 1.5 hours max by car. And I live right beside the terminus so there is not even a wait for the bus to work as I can see it from my window! 

That's ideal being at the terminus.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The roads are in a dire state. Marchmont Road is like driving on a crater-filled moonscape while St Leonard's Street has been ruled out of next year's Paris-Dakar rally for being too tough on the cars' suspensions.

Yes all across the city, it's the same.

Christ knows where the council tax money has gone all these years.

Are they all pocketing it.

Dirty old town.

Here we go again!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-congestion-charge-motorists-may-have-to-pay-to-drive-into-city-if-public-transport-is-shunned-3899594

So people shun public transport because its basically crap and the CeC think the answer is a congestion charge! So motorists already hit by high fuel costs Work Place Parking charges, high on-street parking charges and austerity measure will just have to cough-up again. Will the public transport service suffer because of lack of use or will it be subsidised by the income from the congestion charge?

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Here we go again!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-congestion-charge-motorists-may-have-to-pay-to-drive-into-city-if-public-transport-is-shunned-3899594

So people shun public transport because its basically crap and the CeC think the answer is a congestion charge! So motorists already hit by high fuel costs Work Place Parking charges, high on-street parking charges and austerity measure will just have to cough-up again. Will the public transport service suffer because of lack of use or will it be subsidised by the income from the congestion charge?

An absolute shambles. 

As I've already said the buses in theory are good but practice crap. 

There are buses missing all over the place and particularly bad late at night. 

I know there are a shortage of drivers so until that is sorted they can stick everything up their arse.

Can’t say I’ve ever had much issue with buses in Edinburgh. 

You at the west side of the city? East is never really a bother from my experience. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, BlueRiver said:

Can’t say I’ve ever had much issue with buses in Edinburgh. 

You at the west side of the city? East is never really a bother from my experience. 

The West does appear to have a few problems. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

The West does appear to have a few problems. 

All I can imagine from the complaints. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. 

Watch this, tomorrow morning I’ll be 3 hours getting to work 🤣

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

All I can imagine from the complaints. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. 

Watch this, tomorrow morning I’ll be 3 hours getting to work 🤣

:lol:

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Here we go again!

Just back from London, the congestion charge really made a big difference there. A total shit show, gridlocked everywhere. Edinburgh council know it will change nothing,  It’s a cash cow, nothing else. 

They have slowly but surely building up to this for a long time…

Traffic lights at the bottom of Easter Road, which once moved freely, is now at a standstill most of the time

No left turn from York Place onto Broughton Street forcing everything straight on along Picardy Place to a standstill

George Street closed off westbound at Hanover Street

4 way Traffic lights on the George Street/Hanvover Street when Fredrick Street roundabout never has any congestion

Thistle Street/Hill Street/Young Street, constantly changing the direction of them

St Bernard’s Row at Raeburn Place, blocked off 🤷‍♂️

Cowgate🤪

Leith Street, no left turn up Calton Hill and no left turn up Waterloo Place forcing cars with an option of going up North Bridge or towards Princes Street which they can’t drive along

I’m getting cramp now, so I’ll stop now. There are so many more though, it’s just so blatant

Why have the CeC installed lights at the south end of Pitsligo Road at the junction with Newbattle Terrace. Also the narrowing of the Falcon Ave with Newbattle Terrace makes for a very tight turn; why do this? 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Anybody know why Waverley Bridge has been closed since the covids started and not reopened the congestion this has caused up market street and down the mound is a nonsense 

If the clowncil actually opened up roads the traffic could flow more lighter 

1 hour ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Anybody know why Waverley Bridge has been closed since the covids started and not reopened the congestion this has caused up market street and down the mound is a nonsense 

If the clowncil actually opened up roads the traffic could flow more lighter 

Its the arsehole clowncil causing congestion to blame on cars.

The complete shitshow with North Bridge needs investigating.  Somebody's writing a blank cheque.

Whats the script with that pedestrian crossing south of the drumbrae roundabout going over in to Lidl.

stopped twice this morning and no one near the crossing, never mind crossing it, beyond me, clowncil

idea no doubt.

stupid place to have it, too close to roundabout for a start.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Whats the script with that pedestrian crossing south of the drumbrae roundabout going over in to Lidl.

stopped twice this morning and no one near the crossing, never mind crossing it, beyond me, clowncil

idea no doubt.

stupid place to have it, too close to roundabout for a start.

That will be the usual arsehole pressing the button then crossing before the green man comes on. 🙄

Howdy Doody Jambo
7 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its the arsehole clowncil causing congestion to blame on cars.

The complete shitshow with North Bridge needs investigating.  Somebody's writing a blank cheque.

They would have been quicker demolishing the North Bridge and building a new one the Queensferry crossing on the Forth was built in half the time they will have taken for the repair that they started 2019

14 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

They would have been quicker demolishing the North Bridge and building a new one the Queensferry crossing on the Forth was built in half the time they will have taken for the repair that they started 2019

We're far too soft, if that was in France, the castle would've been occupied and Geni Talia severely booted...:dizzy2:

On 30/10/2022 at 10:33, Australis said:

So many of the junctions have not had the road markings painted for years they are so faint almost gone.

Potholes everywhere.

Our beautiful Edinburgh has gone down hill so badly.

We had relatives who live in Hull up for a visit a couple of weeks ago, and they couldn't believe the state of the roads in Edinburgh. One of the first things they asked when I saw them was "how are your roads in such a mess here?"

On 30/10/2022 at 09:10, davemclaren said:

To be fair, I think Edinburgh has a good bus service.  

It's an education getting a bus in Edinburgh just now with all the diversions.

36 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Our roads are shite.

However, your response should have been 'How is your city such a shitehole?'

Tempted I was

😆

Went to pick up Mrs Ribble last night from her work and noticed on waze how many roadworks there were around the trinity area, going by the roadworks commissioner website there are currently 793 separate roadworks inside the bypass image.thumb.png.b31f0a06a86e23ef508842e50c95457e.png

23 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Went to pick up Mrs Ribble last night from her work and noticed on waze how many roadworks there were around the trinity area, going by the roadworks commissioner website there are currently 793 separate roadworks inside the bypass image.thumb.png.b31f0a06a86e23ef508842e50c95457e.png

Nearly all of those around Trinity are down to City Fibre installing cables; they're probably responsible for a lot of the 793 around the city. The cost of progress?

49 minutes ago, Meathook said:

Nearly all of those around Trinity are down to City Fibre installing cables; they're probably responsible for a lot of the 793 around the city. The cost of progress?

In my experience they don’t cause much congestion. Can certainly **** up a pavement though. 

That thing you do
On 02/03/2020 at 20:38, Jambos_1874 said:

The City Bypass is the worst ****ing road in the world. Not for potholes, but for an absolutely shambolic design and complete lack of capacity. Absolutely shocking for a capital city.

Yep. And in general Edinburghs connectivity esp by road from the border up is shocking as most have to go cross country from Abington and the A1 itself is pretty bad as well. Compared to Glasgow which has the M74/M6 route its pretty poor.

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis Reynolds

I barely notice the 20mph limit tbh. Had a police car up my arse last week when I was abiding to the limit so they clearly don't either.

Maroon Sailor
36 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Here we go again

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburghs-20mph-roads-plans-to-expand-speed-limit-to-90-per-cent-of-edinburgh-roads-3922433

Out for the usual consultation which they will ignore if it doesn't support their proposals.

Very hard to maintain 20mph so I don't know where the appetite is coming from that Scott Arthur alludes to

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Out for the usual consultation which they will ignore if it doesn't support their proposals.

That's what they do. Ask for views, listen to concerns then find another way to appease said concerns and crack on with the proposals so their yardarm is cleared.

That's how we've ended up with the road layout monstrosities on Lanark Road and through Longstone.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Jeffros Furios
30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's what they do. Ask for views, listen to concerns then find another way to appease said concerns and crack on with the proposals so their yardarm is cleared.

That's how we've ended up with the road layout monstrosities on Lanark Road and through Longstone.

The disabled parking place opposite Sainsburys is effin madness , you have to drive onto oncoming traffic to get round it .

Same with the bus stop near the the roundabout .

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The spaces for people bollards on Viewforth still in place narrowing an already badly maintained road into a clusterf*** of who has right of way.

Surely some double yellows would suffice.

Whitehouse Loan don’t get me started...

Never spotted many cyclists this morning dropping wee Angus off at Gillespies, must have been too damp.

The Old Tolbooth

Fife is literally under water, you couldn’t go anywhere even if you wanted to today, I’m guessing Edinburgh is much the same all over, but does anyone know what the bypass is like as my wife is at the Royal and I’m worried about her getting home. 

46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Explains  why my nineteen bus couldn't get down the access road. Went along Ferry Road to Granton Road and all the way down to Granton Square.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He is going towards the Crewe Toll Roundabout. Here is an aerial picture from the Red Bridge looking towards West Pilton and Drylaw Police station.

Screenshot_20221118-142410_Samsung Internet.jpg