Edinburgh Roads

Harry Potter

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Democracy at work

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/spaces-for-people-council-ignores-majority-view-in-survey-over-future-of-one-of-most-controversial-schemes-3450096

I drove south on Braid Rd yesterday morning and as I made my way up the steep hill before the Braids Hotel there was a solitary cyclist on that stretch and he was pushing his bike up the hill! Don't tell me EH has a cycle friendly terrain!

The SNP/Labour CeC are as big a bunch of charlatans as the Tories at Westminster.

That whole area is a shambles and the cycle lanes are used as much as Easter Road ..in other words empty ! 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• OBE

• been here before

1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

That whole area is a shambles and the cycle lanes are used as much as Easter Road ..in other words empty ! 

i see they have moved the spaces for people on Craigs road, corstorphine, what a carry on.

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

i see they have moved the spaces for people on Craigs road, corstorphine, what a carry on.

Partially moved from St. John’s road too. Left a couple of areas though so still causing chaos on already very busy road. 

I'm so glad i can now call myself a visitor to Edinburgh's roads having recently moved over the water to Fife. No council has it perfect but in my limited time driving in and around Fife, Fife Council seem to have gotten the balance fairly right when it comes to speed limits, speed calming where needed and also faster roads where it's safe and appropriate to do so. As for cycling, there are cycle lanes where the pavement allows but not where it doesn't make sense, also in general the condition of the roads seems far improved from day to day driving in Edinburgh.

Apparently the CeC charlatans have ignored overwhelming result in favour of opening up a road in Portobello - vote was something like 660+ for with 40 against. 1 of the 40 was a Councillor.

Bruntsane Road about to be closed to cars forcing those in the Porty/Joppa area to take longer routes to Bypass/Asda/Fort Kinnaird alonmg alreadty heavily congested routes (High St/Brighton Pl or Sir Harry Lauder Road, or along to Eastfield and up Milton Road, or through Coillesdenes, which are also considered 'a quiet residential area').  Plenty of consultation feedback and 72% opposition to the proposed closure including a good few from the actual street.  Plenty of alternative to closure agreement, double yellows etc.  But nope they're no having it. Apparently a councillor lives on teh wee side street at bottom before crossing the bridge.  No accidents/injuries recoded on this street in last 8 yrs, meanwhile 2 deaths at the junction of Porty HS, Kings Road and Portobello Road.  Priorities, eh!!

2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I'm not anti car, there is a priority list of travel modes and it's just that i've put private cars last

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

She also says she owns a car and drives. At long last, we've found the one person who adhered to the ridiculous 20mph limits on main streets.

She probably goes up the middle of the road doing 30mph on her ebike whilst not using the bike lanes. Also it's not just main streets that the 20 limits are ridiculous on, take Portland Street in leith as an example, cars parked both sides and it's cobbled but let's spend money on signage and painting the road somewhere that it's almost impossible to travel over 20mph along anyway!

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The Sustrans type people are very organised when it comes to Twitter. They love a pile on.

Correct, would be interesting to see the for/against % of unaffiliated twitter users. 

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Or a genuine referendum. I'd imagine they'd be able to muster a good, well-motivated and organised turnout for that, but at least it would appear fairer than a couple of academics wading through the quagmire that is Twitter. Would be questioning their research methods, TBH.

Correct, similar to the 'Edinburgh Doctor' that McInnes used to champion the health benefits of Spaces For People, said doctor was involved with Sustrans and a doctors for cycling group so wasn't actually speaking in her capacity as a doctor but as a cycling enthusiast 

• 1 month later...

Large pothole 6 metres past Seafield St (just past the lights) heading East. This hole will shatter a smaller cars suspension.

MOT's offer reassurance that cars are fit for the road, current road conditions ain't fit for my car, national disgrace!

Maroon Sailor

Hit a sneaky pothole the other day (thud) on the Calder Road just past the fire station approaching the roundabout heading east.

Longstone's road layout still remains a nightmare imo - totally bonkers

Seymour M Hersh
On 16/11/2021 at 16:48, jonesy said:

McInnes, like any politician, ought to be treated with as much suspicion as possible.

A double tap would be too good for her.

I've ceased to obey the Council's rules. I now just drive the way that 31 years of experience has taught me. 20mph? Nah 30 on Lanark Road? Nah...

Edited by Spellczech

Edinburgh clowncil have just resurfaced Starbank Rd, guess what's gonna get howked up 1st when the trams venture from Newhaven up to Crewe Toll and beyond?

luckyBatistuta

Drove up Muirhouse Green about an hour ago, I don’t think I’ve seen a council road in such a mess in my lifetime, a disgrace. An obscene amount of potholes.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

On 25/12/2021 at 00:53, luckyBatistuta said:

Drove up Muirhouse Green about an hour ago, I don’t think I’ve seen a council road in such a mess in my lifetime, a disgrace. An obscene amount of potholes.

Theres a deep one in Essendean place, a tyre ruiner at the very least.

4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Saw a team of guys filling in the potholes in the speed bumps in Hutchison Crossway yesterday.

Total misnomer anyway...

• 3 weeks later...
Jambo_jim2001

Not Edinburgh,local council tarred road in my street even though they are well aware there is a under ground spring spewing water up through the old surface causing it to break up,,six months on water still spewing through, surface breaking up and like an ice rink just now,yet councils are running campaigns on how to save public cash

luckyBatistuta
On 30/12/2021 at 10:37, moshy said:

Just had the pleasure of having to drive in Edinburgh for a couple of days, when did Leith Walk and Elm Row get carpet bombed?

Picked a lady up on Sunday night just before the Theatre Royal Bar. She wanted to go to Trinity, work that route out🤣🤣🤣🤬

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Jeffros Furios

They've reduced the width of the road at Lauder Road which means buses have to swing  onto oncoming traffic to get round . 

All to accommodate 10ft of a cycle lane .

On 19/03/2019 at 16:38, Harry Potter said:

Made the journey up to bankhead recycling centre today to get rid of our old mattress.

On the way back going east along Bankhead drive the road surface has broken up and is in 

a shocking state, certainly the worst ive noticed in Edinburgh, not being funny but ive seen better farm 

roads, wonder when this will be fixed. 

Anyone else with similar stories regarding our roads.

Aye hit a pot hole 30th December burst my tyre straight away on Dalkeith Road. I was raging as only have a stupid electric pump which is no good when there’s a gash in the side wall. I was raging. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Picked a lady up on Sunday night just before the Theatre Royal Bar. She wanted to go to Trinity, work that route out🤣🤣🤣🤬

That's a helicopter 🚁 job or reverse back doon the road beep beep beep, shout oot the windae get aff the road! spin aroond the roondaboot cut through gayfield Square, east London Street right at Bellvue, canonmills Inverleith Row, right onto Ferry Road, left onto South Trinity Road 

The White Cockade

Left Edinburgh 25 years ago but back for a visit couple of months back

Couldn’t believe the shambles the roads are

Some if the cycle lanes are wider than what’s left for the cars ffs 

and those barriers next to them what is that all about 

Even saw a bus stop letting people off in the middle of the road as there’s a cycle lane and the passengers have to battle their way past those ****** on bikes that don’t slow down let alone stop

madness

and the whole town looks a mess 

i think the tourist figures will drop when they realise what a shithole they are visiting 

it’s criminal 

luckyBatistuta
59 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

That's a helicopter 🚁 job or reverse back doon the road beep beep beep, shout oot the windae get aff the road! spin aroond the roondaboot cut through gayfield Square, east London Street right at Bellvue, canonmills Inverleith Row, right onto Ferry Road, left onto South Trinity Road 

:scenes:

Nailed it :rofl:

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Go up Leith Street past the parking entrance to the new St James's Quarter. When safe to do so, do a turn in the road and that way you can then go down Broughton Street, through Canonmills turn right at Golden acre and into Trinity.

7 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Even saw a bus stop letting people off in the middle of the road as there’s a cycle lane and the passengers have to battle their way past those ****** on bikes that don’t slow down let alone stop

madness

i think the tourist figures will drop when they realise what a shithole they are visiting 

it’s criminal 

I’ve often wondered if someone gets hit by a cyclist/prick on a bike ( there is a difference) and has an injury who would be responsible ? Cyclist or the council who approved the road lay out.

I still have “ discussions” with cyclists as  I walk along Stenhouse Drive where the council have split the pavement between pedestrians and cyclists , with pedestrians , many with young kids , made to walk closest to the road thereby being sandwiched between two moving vehicles .

They don’t like me walking on THEIR part of a pavement apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Go up Leith Street past the parking entrance to the new St James's Quarter. When safe to do so, do a turn in the road and that way you can then go down Broughton Street, through Canonmills turn right at Golden acre and into Trinity.

Everything down was closed off John...

Jambo_jim2001

Hate driving in Edinburgh,I will get train through 20 mins tops,no worries about all the cameras,traffic restrictions,parking etc.feel it for the folks living there with no other options.

On 21/01/2022 at 00:32, The White Cockade said:

madness

it’s criminal 

The clowncill sign this off, clowncill dont like motor cars in their city so make it difficult for us.

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The clowncill sign this off, clowncill dont like motor cars in their city so make it difficult for us.

Precisely - there are sections like one bit at Goldenacre where buses need to cross into the other side of the road because the cycle lane means they don't have room to turn a corner.  However, that bend is where traffic on the other side of the road will back up at red lights.  You couldn't make up how incompetent these arseholes are at the clowncil.

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Precisely - there are sections like one bit at Goldenacre where buses need to cross into the other side of the road because the cycle lane means they don't have room to turn a corner.  However, that bend is where traffic on the other side of the road will back up at red lights.  You couldn't make up how incompetent these arseholes are at the clowncil.

👍

• 3 weeks later...
Maroon Sailor

Was driving through Longstone today and seen a car smashed up in the floating parking bay near the bus depot.

Not sure if it was hit whilst parked there but it wouldn't surprise me.

Always thought it is a dangerous road layout 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Was driving through Longstone today and seen a car smashed up in the floating parking bay near the bus depot.

It’s an appalling set up in that road.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s an appalling set up in that road.

It is 

I think this was a case of the council not taking no for an answer from the residents at the original proposals so they found a way to address their concerns and came up with this nightmare.

Coming on to that road from some side streets is difficult as well as you have to go across the cycle path to see round parked cars in the floating bays.

43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yes it was, a number of collisions with parked cars in longstone and Lanark road since the floating bays came in 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Yes it was, a number of collisions with parked cars in longstone and Lanark road since the floating bays came in 

Cheers

Always thought those set ups were accidents waiting to happen but this is the first I've seen a car smashed up and now heard of other collisions.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It is 

I think this was a case of the council not taking no for an answer from the residents at the original proposals so they found a way to address their concerns and came up with this nightmare.

Coming on to that road from some side streets is difficult as well as you have to go across the cycle path to see round parked cars in the floating bays.

A joke.

• 3 months later...
Dennis Reynolds

Bus lane on the A8 to be removed. Used to drive that way everyday for work and whenever it was down to one lane it was a shambles.

I drove because the busses were even worse. I actually preferred getting the bus but but when they regularly showed up late or not at all, taking the car was an obvious choice. Plus, it was much faster.

Jeffros Furios
10 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Bus lane on the A8 to be removed. Used to drive that way everyday for work and whenever it was down to one lane it was a shambles.

I drove because the busses were even worse. I actually preferred getting the bus but but when they regularly showed up late or not at all, taking the car was an obvious choice. Plus, it was much faster.

Good news and hopefully the new administration can sort out the cycle lane mess at Longstone .

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Good news and hopefully the new administration can sort out the cycle lane mess at Longstone .

and all the rest as well.

Grid lock on Crewe Rd North every morning and between 330 and 6pm at night with this fiber works!not a worker in sight! Cars jumping the lights buses unable to pass each other it’s mental down here. The road past Ainslie sports centre closed too diversions right along Pilton Ave onto Crewe Rd North making it worse.

jamb0_1874

Does anybody know what the point/thinking is behind making the hard shoulder on the M8 between newbridge and hermiston a bus lane? When pretty much any bus that might have been on the motorway turns off at newbridge to go along the airport road!!

I hate to think how much money has been spent on this project 🤦

maroondevo52
4 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Does anybody know what the point/thinking is behind making the hard shoulder on the M8 between newbridge and hermiston a bus lane? When pretty much any bus that might have been on the motorway turns off at newbridge to go along the airport road!!

I hate to think how much money has been spent on this project 🤦

I was stuck heading to Hermiston Gate last night, first time I've ever seen a bus using it.