U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

I would not claim to have better coverage than the news, they do a good job of providing the material from which I make my sometimes reasonable comments.

Not much on the Trump scene due to the major damage in Florida from the hurricane. Trump on the programs I watched, all fake news of course were critical of Trump going to a rally during such a c risis. Trumplike he managed to get even more criticism calling the Democrats the dims and saying they are wackos. What was interesting was that the rally of course was aimed at the November elections, and he commented on numerous occasions that a vote in November and they should all get out and vote was for him. I wonder how the Republican delegates feel knowing that they are only in their position because of the president and nothing to do with their if any accomplishments. There was quick comment on prison reform, a subject he is having a meeting to discuss with Kanye West today. I did not see the question, but it seems someone mentioned Sessions regarding prison reform, and Trump advised, Sessions done what he was told to do by Trump. Usually I would feel sorry for someone treated that way by a boss, I know I personally I would not have taken it and by doing so Sessions deserves all he gets.

One thing about being a couple of days from entering your twenty eighth year of retirement a person has lots of time to keep up with current affairs.

Appreciated, btw. 

Just heard he called the fed bank some names for putting up interest rates required to balance his tax cuts. 

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Cade said:

USA votes against a UN resolution condemning the death penalty for homosexuality.

:olly:

and yet in the real world they really didn't do that did they.

16 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

and yet in the real world they really didn't do that did they.

They have. Saudi lovers. 

alwaysthereinspirit
18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

More info for those who are interested:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/10/03/united-nations-ban-death-penalty/

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/following-backlash-us-clarifies-un-vote-death-penalty-gays-n807151

Anyone honestly believing that the US of A is for the death penalty for anyone being gay is obviously on the wind up. This thread is a prime candidate for the classic.

Are there people in the United States who believe gays should be put down or jailed? I'm sure there are. They would also in my eyes be seen as sick individuals who one should stay well away from.

Live and let live.

38 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/following-backlash-us-clarifies-un-vote-death-penalty-gays-n807151

Anyone honestly believing that the US of A is for the death penalty for anyone being gay is obviously on the wind up. This thread is a prime candidate for the classic.

Are there people in the United States who believe gays should be put down or jailed? I'm sure there are. They would also in my eyes be seen as sick individuals who one should stay well away from.

Live and let live.

I can't disagree with your sentiments about this, I think some of the opinions are based on the recent Kavanaugh situation where there have been lots of opinions that as a supreme court Judge he will rule against LGBTQ, Roe v Wade, gay marriage etc.but I suspect in fairness he is a long way as is the States for considering a death penalty sentence for Gays.

I do have a problem though with the suggestion that Kanye West is trying to get a pardon for a gang leader who is serving a 150 year sentence for murder. The individual is believed to have been the founder of a criminal gang in Chicago, who is suspected of still being the gang leader and controlling the drug operation while in jail, I would hope Trump would not even consider any pardon or lowering of sentence. I believe this was raised in the Kanye West , Trump meeting today in the Oval Office.

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Jesus Fox news is absolutely bonkers !!!

America is absolutely bonkers.

13 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Live and let live.

You really honestly underestimate the depravity of American Evangelical Christians. Evangelical leaders in the US already nearly got death penalty legislation passed in Uganda (western media outcry got the sentence reduced to life imprisonment). I'd not be surprised if 80-90% would express favour for the death penalty for homosexuals, if polled. It's biblically mandated, after all. That'll amount to over 20% of the US population, or 65+ million people. Good luck staying well away from that many sick individuals.

Edited by Justin Z

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

You really honestly underestimate the depravity of American Evangelical Christians. Evangelical leaders in the US already nearly got death penalty legislation passed in Uganda (western media outcry got the sentence reduced to life imprisonment). I'd not be surprised if 80-90% would express favour for the death penalty for homosexuals, if polled. It's biblically mandated, after all. That'll amount to over 20% of the US population, or 65+ million people. Good luck staying well away from that many sick individuals.

Kool Aid.jpg

One cannot deny President Trumps compassion and humanitarian mind. When Florida was threatened with a major hurricane, with the possibility of fatalities, and hundreds if not thousands being left homeless, this epitomy of humanity went to an election rally to ease the suffering of in his estimation thousands of people who were waiting for hours to see him. What a man, he just bleeds feelings. When the hurricane had passed, he for the people did not disturb them by visiting and commiserating with their loss, instead hosted Kanye West at the White House. How could those unfortunate people not feel boosted by a foulmouthed rapper being hosted by the President in their time of need.

A journalist goes into an embassy in Turkey where it seems the man a resident of the United States, was held, tortured, murdered, and later dismembered for disposal,  when asked about this, this man of the people stated he would have to think about it because the perpetrators the Saudis have bought 110 billion dollars of U.S. made arms, and interfering with that could cause job losses in the United States, what an American, he will ignore your murder so that no one loses their job, such concern for his people is indeed amazing.

But the best news is that I am sure in reward for his good living, christian approach to life his devotd wife, says on television that she loves him and everything is fine between them. What a fine couple, she uses the immigration policy that he derides to bring her parents into the Country,  he does not pay required taxes, but criticises illegal immigrants because they pay no taxes, he breaks every rule for fidelity in marriage, and yet has never been proceeded against in any manner, it just proves that if you are a good person good things will happen.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Poor gold-digging Melania.  It's sad.  Very sad.

Michael de Adder: Lock her up!

Up until that claim by Melania (about being the most bullied person in the world), I had a small amount of sympathy for her being trapped in an outcome she couldn't have envisaged when she went gold-digging on him. In fact, I would have probably offered my services to give her a good seeing to to compensate for the abuse she receives from her husband.

But now, I'm afraid, Melania, that the Knightley boaby is most definitely not at your disposal. Self-centred, vain, ignorant cow.

Francis Albert

I know when I say this on this  thread what's coming (Trump lover etc). But Melania actually said "COULD be the most bullied person in the world" (in fact she said ON  the world displaying a grasp of English which while  streets ahead of her husband's is  not quite complete). When challenged by her interviewer she quickly changed to "one of" the most bullied which may not be wildly inaccurate in cyberworld which is what she was talking about. The post above perhaps provides some supporting evidence for that. (As for at home who knows?)

Edited by Francis Albert

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I know when I say this on this  thread what's coming (Trump lover etc). But Melania actually said "COULD be the most bullied person in the world" (in fact she said ON  the world displaying a grasp of English which while  streets ahead of her husband's is  not quite complete). When challenged by her interviewer she quickly changed to "one of" the most bullied which may not be wildly inaccurate in cyberworld which is what she was talking about. (As for at home who knows?)

Trump Lover.

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Two mental health simians grinning at each either side of a desk. 

Sorry but what is a "mental health simian". Very genuine question.

15 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Retarded thumb walkers. 

Hillary Clinton said it best: "civility can start again" only when the Democrats regain power. 

Could be a while.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Hillary Clinton said it best: "civility can start again" only when the Democrats regain power. 

Could be a while.

You mean the sort of civility showed by Hillary to the targets of her husband's predatory sexual behaviour?

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Up until that claim by Melania (about being the most bullied person in the world), I had a small amount of sympathy for her being trapped in an outcome she couldn't have envisaged when she went gold-digging on him. In fact, I would have probably offered my services to give her a good seeing to to compensate for the abuse she receives from her husband.

But now, I'm afraid, Melania, that the Knightley boaby is most definitely not at your disposal. Self-centred, vain, ignorant cow.

And to think some poor bloke on  a train got about 10 pages of abuse for leaving a note suggesting someone might smile. I have a feeling the above will somehow slip by  by our defenders of women from abuse.

15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

You mean the sort of civility showed by Hillary to the targets of her husband's predatory sexual behaviour?

“Bimbo eruptions.” “I would crucify her.” “We have to destroy her story.” These are just some of the things said and done by Hillary Clinton to undermine women who accused her husband, Bill Clinton, of infidelity and even assault.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I know when I say this on this  thread what's coming (Trump lover etc). But Melania actually said "COULD be the most bullied person in the world" (in fact she said ON  the world displaying a grasp of English which while  streets ahead of her husband's is  not quite complete). When challenged by her interviewer she quickly changed to "one of" the most bullied which may not be wildly inaccurate in cyberworld which is what she was talking about. The post above perhaps provides some supporting evidence for that. (As for at home who knows?)

:helpsmilie:huckin fell.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:36, Justin Z said:

You really honestly underestimate the depravity of American Evangelical Christians.

American?  As JKB shows, depraved behaviour can be found in Bible fanatics of other nationalities as well.

All the same, elections are won and lost in the middle of the political spectrum, and I have a feeling that the Republicans will get to feel vindicated in a couple of weeks from now.  The Democrats can't win the Senate, and tightening poll results suggest that they might not win the House of Representatives either.

On 12/10/2018 at 05:36, Justin Z said:

This, in spades. My sister lived in Uganda for a couple of years while this was happening. It was 100% driven by the loonier* branch of the American Evangelical movement and whipped up extrajudicial violence that resulted in the deaths of multiple Ugandan gay activists. 

The UN vote was largely symbolic and far less important than at least a dozen other things about the current White House shitshow this week, but it's still morally abominable.

* yes, there are far less loony branches, although the non-loony types are starting to disassociate from the movement, in part because of the widespread Evangelical embrace of the racist adulterer baby snatcher.

13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

American?  As JKB shows, depraved behaviour can be found in Bible fanatics of other nationalities as well.

Although I agree wholeheartedly, alwaysthereinspirit's post was about the US.

Quite often on here some are referred to as Trump haters, i do have a hang up about hate, but will gladly accept the description in this case. My disdain of the man is that he is a liar, he talks rubbish, and admits to no wrong whether it may have been by accident or design.

I just ten minutes ago watched a cut out of an upcoming tv interview. He was asked about his senior aides if there would be any more upcoming changes. He said he is happy with some of his people and others he is very unhappy with and there will be c hanges. Can the critics of persons like myself who are not Trump supporters please qualify for me what that means. In the campaign which I watched diligently he stated frequently that he would bring in the best people. So far there have been more changes, by resignation and termination than in previous presidencies, my question is, was that a deliberate lie in the campaign, if not does it indicate a lack of quality in his ability to select the best personnel, is it just that the man is so incompetent that people just cannot work for him, and are interfered with when they do try, or is he deliberately trying to destroy the power of bureaucrats in the system and replace them with yes men who will do as he says, in a dictatorial style of management and presidency.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Quite often on here some are referred to as Trump haters, i do have a hang up about hate, but will gladly accept the description in this case. My disdain of the man is that he is a liar, he talks rubbish, and admits to no wrong whether it may have been by accident or design.

I just ten minutes ago watched a cut out of an upcoming tv interview. He was asked about his senior aides if there would be any more upcoming changes. He said he is happy with some of his people and others he is very unhappy with and there will be c hanges. Can the critics of persons like myself who are not Trump supporters please qualify for me what that means. In the campaign which I watched diligently he stated frequently that he would bring in the best people. So far there have been more changes, by resignation and termination than in previous presidencies, my question is, was that a deliberate lie in the campaign, if not does it indicate a lack of quality in his ability to select the best personnel, is it just that the man is so incompetent that people just cannot work for him, and are interfered with when they do try, or is he deliberately trying to destroy the power of bureaucrats in the system and replace them with yes men who will do as he says, in a dictatorial style of management and presidency.

A bit of all of the above I'd think.

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I think that is actually pretty rare. "Trump lovers" is however thrown around very freely however inaccurately.  

Francis Albert
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:12, I P Knightley said:

She actually came across quite well in a piece in of all places Sunday's Observer.

SpruceBringsteen

Overwhelming feeling about him where I am is absolute boredom. "Oh you praised a racist from the Civil War YET AGAIN? Yawn".

Maybe that's what he wants, but as the old adage says "it's better to be hated than ignored", so I doubt it.

Clearly he doesn't care about criticism

Unfortunately he is here to stay

No amount of protests from outside the USA matter

Trump is however, I hope, a one term president.

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I think that is actually pretty rare. "Trump lovers" is however thrown around very freely however inaccurately.  

No, that's just you. 

7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Overwhelming feeling about him where I am is absolute boredom. "Oh you praised a racist from the Civil War YET AGAIN? Yawn".

Maybe that's what he wants, but as the old adage says "it's better to be hated than ignored", so I doubt it.

Or as Oscar Wilde once said "There is only one thing in the World worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about"

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Can anyone hazard a guess, as to what the "political agenda" is, that these scientists seem to have?

Are they forming a new party?

Yeh, I wondered about that myself.

So it's not a Chinese plot & hoax afterall, designed to undermine American jobs, so was the POTUS lying or just ignorant & Ill-informed when he blamed the Chinese?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 hours ago, Barack said:

Can anyone hazard a guess, as to what the "political agenda" is, that these scientists seem to have?

I suppose that's just standard narcissistic behaviour. Anyone who thinks something he doesn't must only be doing it to target him. They couldn't possibly have their own thoughts and motivations. He doesn't even understand that concept. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Barack said:

They’re all Democrats.

32 minutes ago, Cade said:

Donny's newly commissioned artwork, actually hanging up in the White House

:cornette:

1800.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=form

Jesus! He’s got Nixon right next to him. Lincoln must be baffled. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)
  • Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)