Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

7 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

4790-F204-35-B3-4-B74-934-F-63-DCC2-CDD8
Scotland who, where, when.? No 7 could be Baxter

England 1 Scotland 2, Wembeley 6 April 1963. 

No 4 is Dave Mackay. No 7 Willie Henderson, No 8 John White and I think the other guy is No 11 Davie Wilson. (Baxter was No 6).

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

No 4 is Dave Mackay. No 7 Willie Henderson, No 8 John White and I think the other guy is No 11 Davie Wilson. (Baxter was No 6).

Have you seen that photo before?

Just now, Angel eyes said:

Have you seen that photo before?

I saw it a while back.  Searched for it again and the copy I found said it was at Wembley in 63.

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I saw it a while back.  Searched for it again and the copy I found said it was at Wembley in 63.

Ah okay I’ve never seen it before though 1963 is a tad before my time 

17 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

jorn sorensen ?   erik sorensen kai johannsen  finn dossing?    ?

It's Hal Stewart's "Scandinavian Invasion" with Morton at Cappielow - Per Bartram, Preben Arentoft, Carl Bertelson, Kai Johamson I think (there were several others).  Finn Dossing and Finn Seeman played for Jerry Kerr's Dundee United at the same time (they also signed a bunch).

We, of course, signed the best in Roald Jensen 😃

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, bigdav said:

Looks like Middlesbrough but according to London Hearts Ian Smith never played in that one.

Zico. Signed in 1977.

I go back a wee while with players, did at one time have lots of pictures, the Sunday Mail had a reporter named Rex who started a boys club and there was a picture of a player each week and you could send for and get it. Had them for years unfortunately in my coming to Canada and much later when my mother died my7 father threw out the small suitcase in which all, and there were many pictures were retained.

As far as players my first notable I recall was Archie Miller who played for Hearts at my first ever game in 1944. I was at Easter Road think or a Derby when there was an announcement that Tommy Walker was at the game getting him back finally from his military WW2 service in Burma. Later got to watch him when he got back into the team. Jimmy Brown became Hearts regular goalie, he was my favorite ever player, had a Sunday Mail picture of him posing in his strip with a ball clutched above his head. Later came my eras greats Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh, Mackay, Glidden and Laing,  man they were all stars. Bobby Parker, played like a Sherman Tank. Then so it will never happens does, Gordon Smith playing for Hearts.

Listened to the League Cup win in Egypt on Armed Forces Radio 1954, later 1956 took my father who had told me I was going to be a policeman when I was four, and preached that regularly {he was called up to the Gordon Highlanders in 1916, lost an apprenticeship, and worked after the war in menial jobs, got the job of a lifetime as Janitor at St Trineans Girls School in Park Road, Lost that job because the school closed for WW2} I was able to get him a seat on the A Division Southside Police bus, I was now a policeman, to go to the Hampden Final to watch his beloved Hearts in a Cup Final. We won, I think the combination of that, his policeman son and the bus trip were and lasted until the end of his life his greatest day ever

Hearts and the players have always and despite the distance are still are still a major interest in my life. Thanks for your patience in allowing me on an emotional day to take up your time and space.

Doctor FinnBarr
19 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Zico was Walter Kidd and that def ain't him.

I'm not convinced one way or the other. Walter certainly had that permed look in his early time with us but the face just doesn't look right.

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Baxter indeed was no6 and scored both goals that day, one a penalty. Dave MacKay hit the bar that day from a free kick a yard outside the box at the tunnel end. 

Maroon Sailor
21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211231_201241.jpg

5 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Ian Smith and Drew Busby behind the keeper in a 2-1 win I think against OFK Kikinda, a pre-season friendly in July or August’77. Can’t remember the goal scorers, John Gallagher might’ve got 1.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Aug 78 v Middlesbrough 

Jim Platt is the goalie, Terry Cooper is the defender. Could be Willie Maddren the other Boro player

4 hours ago, bigdav said:

It was Aug 77 vs Middlesbrough.  Smith scored the winner.

It was Aug 77 (1-0)

Had another match against Boro a year later, 3-0 and having checked LH, Busby didn't play in that one

All the Boro players seem to be as I thought

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Baxter indeed was no6 and scored both goals that day, one a penalty. Dave MacKay hit the bar that day from a free kick a yard outside the box at the tunnel end. 

👍

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I go back a wee while with players, did at one time have lots of pictures, the Sunday Mail had a reporter named Rex who started a boys club and there was a picture of a player each week and you could send for and get it. Had them for years unfortunately in my coming to Canada and much later when my mother died my7 father threw out the small suitcase in which all, and there were many pictures were retained.

As far as players my first notable I recall was Archie Miller who played for Hearts at my first ever game in 1944. I was at Easter Road think or a Derby when there was an announcement that Tommy Walker was at the game getting him back finally from his military WW2 service in Burma. Later got to watch him when he got back into the team. Jimmy Brown became Hearts regular goalie, he was my favorite ever player, had a Sunday Mail picture of him posing in his strip with a ball clutched above his head. Later came my eras greats Conn, Bauld, Wardhaugh, Mackay, Glidden and Laing,  man they were all stars. Bobby Parker, played like a Sherman Tank. Then so it will never happens does, Gordon Smith playing for Hearts.

Listened to the League Cup win in Egypt on Armed Forces Radio 1954, later 1956 took my father who had told me I was going to be a policeman when I was four, and preached that regularly {he was called up to the Gordon Highlanders in 1916, lost an apprenticeship, and worked after the war in menial jobs, got the job of a lifetime as Janitor at St Trineans Girls School in Park Road, Lost that job because the school closed for WW2} I was able to get him a seat on the A Division Southside Police bus, I was now a policeman, to go to the Hampden Final to watch his beloved Hearts in a Cup Final. We won, I think the combination of that, his policeman son and the bus trip were and lasted until the end of his life his greatest day ever

Hearts and the players have always and despite the distance are still are still a major interest in my life. Thanks for your patience in allowing me on an emotional day to take up your time and space.

Superb post, Bob. Always good to read your recollections and descriptions.    My Dad's favourite goalie of that era was also Jimmy Brown !!   And your description of Bobby Parker's tackling "style"  matches how he described it too !!     Davie Laing became the editor of the club matchday program in the 70s.

I wish you a happy & healthy New Year, sir  :notworthy:

7 hours ago, cookieboy said:

I was very fortunate to meet this legend a couple of years before he passed . His eyes lit up when I told him he was my late dad's favourite player . A true legend not just at Hearts 

8 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

A9770046-6-DC4-4-F34-9472-697962-D1-D5-B

We lived in Penicuick in the late 1960s / early 1970s. My dad would stand at the back door and whistle (fingers to lips; properly loud!) that it was time to come in for tea. I remember one time my brother and I (we were just wee laddies) were out the back in the common access grass area playing kickabout football. A bloke was coming home from work - he lived the far end of the street from us. One of us mis-kicked and it went to this bloke, who chipped it back. So we kicked it back again, and he obliged again. A short kick about ensued. I noticed my dad was standing at the back door making no attempt to whistle. Eventually he did. As we came inside, I can still hear him saying, “One day you’ll thank me that you can now say you played football with the great Alex Young.”

Percival King
5 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Thanks for taking the time to post. Our great club is more than just what is happening just now, or this season, or the last few years or our own individual years of being a supporter. We have a rich history and posts like this help keep it alive. We'll always have our memories, thank you for sharing yours.

50-A3-BD1-A-2-DC6-4955-B8-D2-76261-F0940
can name 7………greig, …….?, brown, murdoch,Baxter,…….?

………? Bremner,Johnson,……….?,………?, gilzean……1965

17 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

50-A3-BD1-A-2-DC6-4955-B8-D2-76261-F0940
can name 7………greig, …….?, brown, murdoch,Baxter,…….?

………? Bremner,Johnson,……….?,………?, gilzean……1965

Provan ?    McKinnon? Martin ? Hughes  henderson

N Lincs Jambo
14 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Provan ?    McKinnon? Martin ? Hughes  henderson

Is that not Bertie Auld next to Bud Johnston?

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

John Hughes I think

30 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

See below. Neil Martin next to BB.

After due consideration, I think both of these are correct.

:clap: 

20 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

After due consideration, I think you are correct in confirming that we are correct.

What a very considerate post.

:biggrin2:

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1970 Hampden - Colin Stein and Brian Labone. 0-0 with Jim Cruickshank in goal.

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Wilson said:

1970 Hampden - Colin Stein and Brian Labone. 0-0 with Jim Cruickshank in goal.

Only Scotland keeper to keep a clean sheet against England in the 60s/70s  until David Harvey in 1974.

On 01/01/2022 at 07:53, bigdav said:

Is it Ian Smith on the left? 

On 31/12/2021 at 21:13, Maroon Sailor said:

20211231_201241.jpg

I think the player on the left is John Hay.

19 hours ago, Gilamas said:

We lived in Penicuick in the late 1960s / early 1970s. My dad would stand at the back door and whistle (fingers to lips; properly loud!) that it was time to come in for tea. I remember one time my brother and I (we were just wee laddies) were out the back in the common access grass area playing kickabout football. A bloke was coming home from work - he lived the far end of the street from us. One of us mis-kicked and it went to this bloke, who chipped it back. So we kicked it back again, and he obliged again. A short kick about ensued. I noticed my dad was standing at the back door making no attempt to whistle. Eventually he did. As we came inside, I can still hear him saying, “One day you’ll thank me that you can now say you played football with the great Alex Young.”

what a great memory to have 

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

8 minutes ago, bigdav said:

He never played in that game. Its Iain Smith.

It is Iain Smith

He's very helpful in these 77/78 phots

Kind of the go to man. If in doubt it's Iain Smith !

56 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Only Scotland keeper to keep a clean sheet against England in the 60s/70s  until David Harvey in 1974.

Bill Brown (Spurs) was in goals in 1962 - Scotland 2 England 0. "Marginal" improvement from Frankk Haffey 😄.

I don't remember those games as too young but was proud to watch Cruickie's game. Sadly Bobby Clark played the third game in that competition (1970) to rob Jim of a three game shut-out. I never understood how anyone could pick Clark over Cruickie

On 31/12/2021 at 21:39, Thomaso said:

🎼 I’d walk a millions miles for one of your goals oh Ernie!

That was the song alright, there were some goals from Ernie, not too many but I remember at least a couple of thunderbolts from him at Tynecastle. Not the best player to ever wear the jersey but most of us liked him because he always done his best for the team.

1 minute ago, Dsjambo said:

That was the song alright, there were some goals from Ernie, not too many but I remember at least a couple of thunderbolts from him at Tynecastle. Not the best player to ever wear the jersey but most of us liked him because he always done his best for the team.

Sums up Ernie perfectly 👍

20 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

See below. Neil Martin next to BB.

You are correct here is the full team info.

(Match 313)  9th November 1965  (1966 World Cup Qualifying Group 8)
SCOTLAND - ITALY  1-0  (0-0)
Referee:   Rudolf Kreitlein (West Germany)
Crowd:     100.393, Hampden Park, Glasgow
Goal:      1-0 Greig (88)
SCOTLAND:  (Manager:  John (Jock) Stein/5)
William Dallas Fyfe Brown	     (28/Tottenham Hotspur) -
John Greig			     (12/Rangers)
David Provan			     (3/Rangers) -
Robert White Murdoch		     (1/Celtic)
Ronald McKinnon			     (1/Rangers)
James Curran Baxter [c] 	     (26/Sunderland) -
William Henderson	             (19/Rangers)
William John Bremner	             (3/Leeds United)
Alan John Gilzean		     (9/Tottenham Hotspur)
Neil Martin			     (3/Sunderland)
John Hughes			     (4/Celtic)

ITALY:  (Coach:  Edmondo Fabbri)
William Negri - Tarcisio Burgnich, Giacinto Facchetti - Aristide Guarneri, 
Sandro Salvadore [c], Roberto Rosato - Giovanni Lodetti, Giacomo Bulgarelli, 
Alessandro Mazzola, Gianni Rivera, Paolo Barison.

Maroon Sailor
43 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Is that not Denis Law?

I don't know but it's not Colin Stein

Looking at it again it has to be Law

Edited by Maroon Sailor

John Findlay
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Is that not Denis Law?

It's Colin Stein, the nose gives him away, as it is much wider than the Lawman's.

Colin Stein was the first £100,000 transfer between Scottish clubs when he moved from Hibs to Rangers in 1969.

It made the auld joke. There are three Steins in Glasgow. Jock Stein, Colin Stein, and Frankenstein.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm of that era and I remember this incident.

It is Colin Stein. 100%

👍 Cheers

Just couldn't see Colin Stein there - still can't 🤣

Strange phot so that's my excuse

23 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Greig, Provan, Brown, Murdoch, Baxter, McKinnon, no idea, Bremner, Johnston,Hughes, Henderson, Gilzean. 

3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Is that not Denis Law?

Looks like it to me. It’s the barnet.
Someone suggested it might be Colin Stein and if so, that will be (a) after he’d signed for Rangers (b) he’d received the appropriate penalty box coaching at Ibrox 🙄

9 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Someone suggested it might be Colin Stein and if so, that will be (a) after he’d signed for Rangers (b) he’d received the appropriate penalty box coaching at Ibrox 🙄

I was at the game, and can confirm it was a cast iron penalty! (but you are right re coaching)

21 hours ago, Morgan said:

That ugly distillery building provides a gloomy backdrop in too many Tynecastle photos.
Who thought it was a good idea to play football in the shadow of that monstrosity?

13 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Two actually seem to be certain it is Colin Stein. jonnothejambo and John Findlay. I have no reason to doubt them/ I just thought it looked very like Denis Law.