• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• jambocub

• Mr Elwood P

Selkirkhmfc1874
27 minutes ago, jambmoz said:

I’ve no idea if we want walker or not but he’s better than most of our current players. I’d have him back.

He's proved down south he's better than what we've got eh?

21 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

He's proved down south he's better than what we've got eh?

Irrelevant to what he has done down south. Crap players in Scotland have gone down south and done well.

Our fan base are divided on JW because of how the contract situation went at the end of his time here. Bottom line is no one knows the ins and outs and the actual truth. JW was one of the first names on the team sheet when here and would be an improvement to our squad.

An absolute no from me.

He made his bed up here. He can lie in it down there now.

You'd maybe get a good few games out of him before he decided he was above us and started re-loading his Instagram with The Rangers propaganda and nonsense.

Theres only one team in Scotland JW actually WANTS to play for - and its not us. Lets not forget that.

Fxxx the SPFL
24 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Irrelevant to what he has done down south. Crap players in Scotland have gone down south and done well.

Our fan base are divided on JW because of how the contract situation went at the end of his time here. Bottom line is no one knows the ins and outs and the actual truth. JW was one of the first names on the team sheet when here and would be an improvement to our squad.

he wouldn't improve our squad, too injury prone and hardly had any decent games for us he will not be back with us. All IMO

31 minutes ago, Erik said:

An absolute no from me.

You'd maybe get a good few games out of him before he decided he was above us and started re-loading his Instagram with The Rangers propaganda and nonsense.

Theres only one team in Scotland JW actually WANTS to play for - and its not us. Lets not forget that.

What a load of crap

JW has now left Peterborough and returned back to Wigan following his loan spell

I watched him a couple of times for Peterborough.  The last being in their 4-0 defeat to Barnsley in October, when he got hooked after about 30 mins. He never really featured after that,  not sure if it was because of the position he was being asked to play, or if he is/was carrying a(nother) injury, but he looked off the pace and disinterested when I saw him.  Got the impression that he didn't really want to be there which must have affected his game.  It will be interesting to see if Wigan have recalled him to play more of a part for them (they are struggling at the minute) or if they are looking to offload him permanently.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:45, Taffin said:

Peterborough are really poor.

Jason Cummings gets odd sub appearances and contributes jack shit to them. He's disinterested and lazy, he'd have contributed very, very little to us.

People overestimate the lower English leagues imo. I'm willing to accept football is a game of opinions but I respectfully disagree with your assertion. Peterborough are a poor team on the whole. Hearts would beat them 9 times out of 10, they have some players who'd maybe make the step up and be of value to us... players who can't get into their starting 11 are of absolutely no use to us whatsoever.

Agree with this.  I have had to endure watching Peterborough a few times this season, and whilst they sit near the top, they are, by comparison, a Scottish Championship level team at best.  Like all teams at that level (perhaps with the exception of Sunderland), their focus is getting players from lower leagues and trying to make a profit from them, which Peterborough have done pretty successfully in recent years.  There are not many, if any, I would have at Hearts.

Meanwhile it seems Peterborough are keeping Jason Cummings on loan for the rest of the season. Nottingham Forest are happy with the arrangement. 

Brave Hearts
8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I watched him a couple of times for Peterborough.  The last being in their 4-0 defeat to Barnsley in October, when he got hooked after about 30 mins. He never really featured after that,  not sure if it was because of the position he was being asked to play, or if he is/was carrying a(nother) injury, but he looked off the pace and disinterested when I saw him.  Got the impression that he didn't really want to be there which must have affected his game.  

Exactly like his performances, behavior, attitude and his lack of commitment in his last year with us.

So nothing has changed.

6 minutes ago, Brave Hearts said:

Exactly like his performances, behavior, attitude and his lack of commitment in his last year with us.

So nothing has changed.

Indeed.  Such a shame as, when on his game, he is a decent player.  Cannot see him back at that level again though, unfortunately

Jamie is a player who causes disagreement between fans as to how good he is. He is an ignigma who can be a genius or be a shadow who looks uninterested or unhappy at times.  Maybe he has made wrong decisions about his career in the past and regrets where he is now who knows ? I do believe he still is a Hearts fan at heart and I’d never slag him off but would I want him back as a player ? Probably not.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Yep and he'll be nowhere near us anytime soon.

You missed out “thankfully” ?

A_A wehatethehibs

I’ve actually changed my mind.

If Jamie wanted to come back to Hearts, I’d take him. Wouldn’t want him on loan, don’t see the point. It would need to be a permanent deal with the player 100% committed to Hearts for the years to come. 

The past is the past. Thinking about the future squads over the next few years, Walker could be a useful player for us. He could be excellent playing behind 2 units in Uche and Vanacek.

Walker looked good but a chronic lack of pace was always going to hold him back.

Webster left us and came back. If walker did come back he would have to hit the ground running. He wouldn't get any grace period. The guy is at a total crossroads in his career.

The Old Tolbooth

I really do not want him anywhere near a Hearts jersey in future, he's chicken hearted and nowhere near good enough. 

If he came back it would take him busting a gut week in week out to convince me. Otherwise he can just stay where he is. 

He has always been a good player but there is a way to behave towards the club that gave you everything. If he can do a Webster and redeem himself he will need a set of balls. 

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Arnold Rothstein said:

People laughed when I suggested he’d never play for a bigger club than Hearts.....

It was pretty obvious at the time- its just some refused to see it.

He simply stopped playing for a year, and it was an awful thing to watch.

He downed tools, his dream move fell to bits, and now he's scraping around the basement.

Entirely of his own doing.

I'm not convinced he can "re-motivate" himself- his heads gone utterly.

Yes or No? I’ve not seen him play in a while but from the level he’s at just now and from what I seen before he left, it’s a No.

If he was to sign, I’d support him

fully and hope he has a thoroughly successful career (or loan spell) with us.

Winning is all that matters to me. If a signing benefits the club on the pitch and we get the rewards, I don’t care if the players support Hibs or Rangers are complete pricks who’ve made mistakes.

3 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

Irrelevant to what he has done down south. 

What he did before injury took his pace is irrelevant to the player he is now. He's a fraction of the player he was. He can't play on the wing any more because he can't even beat the slowest of full backs.

The Jamie Walker that lit up our team some years ago is long gone now. The one that's left is a pale imitation.

Remembering 2nd spell Neil McCann is just depressing. I'd rather remember Jamie when he was a prospect rather than a disappointment cursed with injury.

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

What he did before injury took his pace is irrelevant to the player he is now. He's a fraction of the player he was. He can't play on the wing any more because he can't even beat the slowest of full backs.

The Jamie Walker that lit up our team some years ago is long gone now. The one that's left is a pale imitation.

Remembering 2nd spell Neil McCann is just depressing. I'd rather remember Jamie when he was a prospect rather than a disappointment cursed with injury.

Neil was playing pretty well until the Killie game. That finished him off.

I remember him being described on here as a "rusty old cripple"

Suspect our fans will have less tolerance for a returning Walker, than someone who was a bone fide star for us

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

Our fan base are divided on JW because of how the contract situation went at the end of his time here. Bottom line is no one knows the ins and outs and the actual truth.

You're right - we don't know the ins and outs of offers made and promises broken but what we know is that he finished his time with us disinterested, a little unfit and ineffective.

Whatever the reason for that happening, it happened and he allowed it to happen. The fact that he's not set the heather alight since leaving would also suggest that he's done little to pull his finger out and get back to his best - which was undeniably good.

He just doesn't seem to be a true professional who'll work hard and I don't think that HMFC has the capacity to cater for such a luxury on the hope that he'd get back to his best which was, what, 4 years ago? There's not even a guarantee that he'd put in enough of a turn to be any better than the players we've got.

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

Neil was playing pretty well until the Killie game. That finished him off.

I remember him being described on here as a "rusty old cripple"

Suspect our fans will have less tolerance for a returning Walker, than someone who was a bone fide star for us

2nd spell McCann just wasn't the same. His legs had gone and he tried to play centre midfield. Pretty much exactly the same as Walker. 

He was worse after that leg break - was it? 

I remember McCann having a great game against us for Falkirk at their place when they beat us 2-1.

Walker is about 10% of the player McCann was. I just don't see a second spell for injury ravaged JW working out for anyone.

31 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

Walker looked good but a chronic lack of pace was always going to hold him back.

Webster left us and came back. If walker did come back he would have to hit the ground running. He wouldn't get any grace period. The guy is at a total crossroads in his career.

Webster left us for a considerable period of time by comparison and was playing regularly at a higher standard inbetween than we have seen from JW. Would he be a good signing is a very difficult question to answer based on his injuries , last few months of his Hearts career and the known aspects of his agent with his need to drive players to Ibrox. I can’t think of a player who has left and come back to us in a short period of time with similar circumstances to compare him with that would suggest how fans would react as a whole either , Stevenson may be the closest.

Edited by sadj

doctor jambo
Just now, sadj said:

Webster left us for a considerable period of time by comparison and was playing regularly at a higher standard inbetween than we have seen from JW. Would he be a good signing is a very difficult question to answer based on his injuries and last few months of his Hearts career and the known aspects of his agent and his need to drive players to Ibrox. I can’t think of a player who has left and come back to us in a short period of time with similar circumstances to compare him with to suggest how fans would react as a whole either , Stevenson may be the closest.

Stevenson was very different- he was ALL effort and little talent.

Walker was ALL talent and little effort.

+ Stevenson was not being paid, whereas Walker wanted paid more by someone else

4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The fury and vitriol toward Stevenson at the time did not take in to account those factors though. 

Im not sure any of us can confirm either way the last statement either. Hence my reference to his agent. I don’t know Jamie well enough to comment on his intellect and personal input to decisions about his career. Agents can have a big bearing on these things as some players put a lot of blind trust in them

Edited by sadj

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I thought Walker would have gone to Rangers eventually, but that ship has sailed. Even the Hearts ship may have sailed. Its a pity, a talented player, but the wrong path and as plenty have said, held by a chronic lack of pace and at times will.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

“Lit up our team” is too strong, Jamie was never much more than a decent-good 7/10 player for us and I think that’s what he’d be if he came back. If the pace is gone we have to try and find a way to manage that and get the best of his ability which is passing in the final 3rd, delivery and an eye for goal. His game was never that much about pace but with his natural ability he is still a potential match winner in this division at 25 years old. At this level there are no perfect players, everyone is a crock or has one issue or another, we have to do what we can with our budget. Welcome to the bargain basement, £150k would be a big transfer fee for Hearts. That doesn’t buy you much wherever you look! 

We need options in that area for the years to come, our only quality option to link the midfield and strikers is Naismith. Other than him we’ve got Morrison, Amankwaa and Mulraney. We’ve seen what happens with no Naismith - we absolutely need to strengthen that area. Would not say Walker is the messiah but if we were bringing in 2 or 3 attacking players I think he’d be a good option. If Naismith leaves that’s going to be up to possibly 4 good players minimum we are going to need in that area of the park so if Walker wanted to be committed here I’d roll the dice and sign him. 

1 hour ago, Arnold Rothstein said:

People laughed when I suggested he’d never play for a bigger club than Hearts.....

League 1 clubs in England are massive compared to us...or so we were so kindly informed when we signed Olly Lee. 

12 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Who? Edinburgh City?

Nah they have a good title run going at the minute, no point ruining it with JW. Spartans might be an option though... 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I thought Walker would have gone to Rangers eventually, but that ship has sailed. Even the Hearts ship may have sailed. Its a pity, a talented player, but the wrong path and as plenty have said, held by a chronic lack of pace and at times will.

As I said above without knowing him well enough personally to know how much that path was his choice and how much it was agents guidance its hard to use it as a stick to beat him with. Can he get the pace back? Some of it but would he have the drive to do that? It would appear not.

Mark Allen? (DOF) was making a lot of the signing choices at Rangers at the time (As confirmed by him , himself) and I’d surmise he still has a large input on that despite Gerrard joining if indeed he’s still there. Would Gerrard want him however would you’d think be a resounding No.

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

“Lit up our team” is too strong, Jamie was never much more than a decent-good 7/10 player for us and I think that’s what he’d be if he came back. If the pace is gone we have to try and find a way to manage that and get the best of his ability which is passing in the final 3rd, delivery and an eye for goal. His game was never that much about pace but with his natural ability he is still a potential match winner in this division at 25 years old. At this level there are no perfect players, everyone is a crock or has one issue or another, we have to do what we can with our budget. Welcome to the bargain basement, £150k would be a big transfer fee for Hearts. That doesn’t buy you much wherever you look! 

We need options in that area for the years to come, our only quality option to link the midfield and strikers is Naismith. Other than him we’ve got Morrison, Amankwaa and Mulraney. We’ve seen what happens with no Naismith - we absolutely need to strengthen that area. Would not say Walker is the messiah but if we were bringing in 2 or 3 attacking players I think he’d be a good option. If Naismith leaves that’s going to be up to possibly 4 good players minimum we are going to need in that area of the park so if Walker wanted to be committed here I’d roll the dice and sign him. 

Consistent  7or8/10 players often get ripped apart on here , however in JW’s case I wouldn’t agree he was one. Possibly a 6/10 a lot of weeks with a few 4 and the odd 8 in there. He was not consistent in a Smith or Berra way other than possibly the promotion season when everyone was flying.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

As I said above without knowing him well enough personally to know how much that path was his choice and how much it was agents guidance its hard to use it as a stick to beat him with. Can he get the pace back? Some of it but would he have the drive to do that? It would appear not.

Mark Allen? (DOF) was making a lot of the signing choices at Rangers at the time (As confirmed by him , himself) and I’d surmise he still has a large input on that despite Gerrard joining if indeed he’s still there. Would Gerrard want him however would you’d think be a resounding No.

A common fault with professional footballers of a young age, they think they will hit the road to England and its a road littered with gold. Plenty have come home with tails between legs. To be fair to Jamie he is normal.

The only question for me, does he improve us, and I am genuinely struggling to believe he would. Everyone is getting better, which leads me to believe we need better.

Jamie Walker is not a bad player though. Steve Clarke would probably get a lot out of him for example, Greg Stewart type renaissance  perhaps.

A_A wehatethehibs
19 minutes ago, sadj said:

Consistent  7or8/10 players often get ripped apart on here , however in JW’s case I wouldn’t agree he was one. Possibly a 6/10 a lot of weeks with a few 4 and the odd 8 in there. He was not consistent in a Smith or Berra way other than possibly the promotion season when everyone was flying.

I meant he was never better than a 7/10, rather than “lit up our team” which was the post I responded to. He definitely dropped off toward the end but a lot of people are ignoring the fact that at the end he was mostly playing under Ian Cathro. If he came back he would be playing under Craig Levein. A totally different ball game to the shambles which we were when he left. Levein would not have Walker here if the boy was not 100% committed to Hearts and could add something. 

It would be a bit of a gamble but as I say I’d gamble. 

(Edit, I know it was levein that sold him in the end but the main decline of Jamie Walker was after neilson left and Cathro came in) 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

34 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

How good was Walker at playing the Naismith role for his last year at Hearts?

Genuine question.

scott herbertson

I’m in what I accept is a tiny minority on kickback who don’t agree that he wasn’t trying, downed tools or got disinterested. He often looked disinterested when he was playing really well - just look at the way he didn’t celebrate great goals throughout his career with us- I think it is a mannerism which unfortunately for him will always plague him. 

However i I do think his head was easily turned when rangers made their offers, I also think he is a confidence player and the injuries affected him. I also think he was badly affected by the cheating accusations and by the way referees failed to protect him afterwards (it’s reasonable to say he partly brought that on himself). Lastly the increasingly hate filled criticism of him and of his family on social media won’t have helped (again his poor choices in his own and his family’s use of social media were a contributing factor).

there’s  a load of baggage there, and a lot of reasons for not taking  him back. Having said that, he was a special player when his head and body were right. If Levein judges him to be in the right shape physically and mentally then a low price one year contract with an option to extend would possibly give us a useful impact player, but a lot of ifs there.

and add in to that that he would have to prove himself quickly 

Edited by scott herbertson

4 hours ago, Erik said:

An absolute no from me.

:spoton:

All the nonsense his dad caused as well, the lies he told about the offer Levein actually made to Walker.

He's had a chance at Wigan then had a chance at Peterborough. Not done anything has he? Why on earth folk think he'd make us better...

He's a wee hun and will only ever want to play for Rangers in Scotland. If joins another team in Scotland, he'll be liking Rangers pish on social media and getting his agent to sniff around again trying to engineer a move to his beloved Ibrox.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

How good was Walker at playing the Naismith role for his last year at Hearts?

Genuine question.

Not good but as I say a large portion there was under Cathro and the remaining few months he just could not get going, after Cathro left his head was mince with the social media and Rangers storm. Overall quality wise though I would say Naismith is at least 5x or 10x the player Walker is. That’s no shame for Walker, Naismith is probably the top Scottish attacking player of the last decade. He is absolute top quality. We are very fortunate to have him here, he is still on a £50k a week contract from an £8m transfer fee move. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Not good but as I say a large portion there was under Cathro and the remaining few months he just could not get going, after Cathro left his head was mince with the social media and Rangers storm. Overall quality wise though I would say Naismith is at least 5x or 10x the player Walker is. That’s no shame for Walker, Naismith is probably the top Scottish attacking player of the last decade. He is absolute top quality. We are very fortunate to have him here, he is still on a £50k a week contract from an £8m transfer fee move. 

I just think it would be crazy to sign someone who was terrible for the last year that he was here and hope for something different.

Especially with his injury problems. 

We should look elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Roman1874 said:

Jamie Walker is Scottish championship level at best now 

Probably.  Fitness / application levels would indicate that's where he sits 

I'd imagine he would bite your hand off to get back to Hearts now 

That's a period consigned to history for me. His fitness and lack of effort are appalling 

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Jamie is a player who causes disagreement between fans as to how good he is. He is an ignigma who can be a genius or be a shadow who looks uninterested or unhappy at times.  Maybe he has made wrong decisions about his career in the past and regrets where he is now who knows ? I do believe he still is a Hearts fan at heart and I’d never slag him off but would I want him back as a player ? Probably not.

Would explain his lack of pace 

cute-iguana-cartoon-260nw-1178233894.jpg

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Stevenson had talent, and made the most of it through sheer hard work. His performance in the LC final against St Mirren was one of the best individual performances I’ve seen from a Hearts player. Pity his team mates were a bunch of imposters.

46 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Stevenson had talent, and made the most of it through sheer hard work. His performance in the LC final against St Mirren was one of the best individual performances I’ve seen from a Hearts player. Pity his team mates were a bunch of imposters.

I'm still absolutely gutted about that game. Sutton & Ngoo were utterly dreadful. Stevenson deserved to lift a cup that day :(