Levein is not the answer mk2 ( merged )

Hood09

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

They were both terrible decisions. The only comparison I'm making is that we were very lucky with one and unlucky with another. The luck evens out. 

Hibs was unlucky. The Rangers one was total incompetence if not something more sinister, like officials being afraid of making big calls against Rangers.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Phil Dunphy

• Bull's-eye

• Enzo Chiefo

Unknown user

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Fair enough. You might be right.

Maybe, maybe not, but cheers, it's good to discuss things like adults. 

People just see things from different perspectives. We all think Hearts can do something special at some point, that's our job as fans. We just have different interpretations on how, what's happening now etc

All I can say is that I wouldn't be behind Levein if I didn't genuinely think we were heading somewhere special.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Maybe, maybe not, but cheers, it's good to discuss things like adults. 

People just see things from different perspectives. We all think Hearts can do something special at some point, that's our job as fans. We just have different interpretations on how, what's happening now etc

All I can say is that I wouldn't be behind Levein if I didn't genuinely think we were heading somewhere special.

Tbh, I’m boring myself with my own negativity.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Tbh, I’m boring myself with my own negativity.

Remind yourself what you love mate

:thumbsup:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Leeds doing well is proof that Levein's a dick now

Pretty much how it works. 

Clarke does well--CL's a dick. 

Some random in the championship _ he's a dick. 

Davies didn't want the job- cos... CL's a dick. 

It's a ****ing mental house in here at times. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The injuries have been made into a smokescreen. Yes, it had an affect, but our bad run also coincided with facing the more difficult games. Naismith was anonymous at Ibrox in the 3-0 defeat, but, of course he makes a difference to us, in general. After all the talk last season about CL not having the players to "play the way he wants to", he brought in 20 of his own players and now the injuries , to players who were here LAST season have prevented him from "coming up with a system that will allow us to score goals". One thing for sure is that over the last couple of seasons, every excuse under the sun has been deployed to fob off any detractors.  I agree with you, of course he should get the rest of the season , but the whole structure imo needs looked at in the summer.

3-1 at Ibrox

Keep up

17 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Pretty much how it works. 

Clarke does well--CL's a dick. 

Some random in the championship _ he's a dick. 

Davies didn't want the job- cos... CL's a dick. 

It's a ****ing mental house in here at times. 

Fecking hell 

28 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

3-1 at Ibrox

Keep up

My mistake. I wasn't trying to deprive Jimmy Dunne of his goal.

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

His last spell was 15 years ago. Last season we finished 6th and given that Cathro was gone before the start of it, and that Levein oversees recruitment, it can hardly be said that he was parachuted in.

The off-field progress under Budge has been immense but I don’t see the same clarity of thought with the squad. As a football team I think we’ve been drifting for some time.

We were drifting at the top of the league, as well as into a cup semifinal, for three months, until we suffered a severe and lengthy injury crisis. Yes, the wheels shouldn't have come off as badly as they did over the next several weeks, but as the injury crisis has started to ease, things have started to get back on track, with the natural order again being restored in the derby. It's clear that significant mistakes were made in the past, and Levein has responsibility for that as DoF, but substantial changes have been made in the scouting and recruitment operation in the last year, and the first team squad almost completely rebuilt, and while the last couple of months have shown that we're by no means the finished article, the difference between now and a year ago is clear to see for all but those who are determined not to see it.

FarmerTweedy
On 01/01/2019 at 12:07, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's hard to justify more signings,  having already signed 19 in the summer and with the much trumpeted injury problems clearing up. You don't seriously think we will be pushing for the title do you?  Don't quite see how realism equates to wanting us to fail.

Yes, we had a great start to the season but that was always going to be put to the test when we came up against the better teams and when other teams also started to hit form.

Don't forget that our first big test , with a full squad, was at Ibrox and we lost the game within 20mins. 

I expect that the OF will start to pull away and that we will be challenging Killie, Aberdeen and St J for 3rd - 6th. Some on here think we could be top because Vanacek and Uche will be here. Each to their own, and it's amazing how a derby win changes people's expectations, but I don't think we have the quality to be anywhere near the top 2 come Feb, Mar or May.

Our first big test was going behind away to Hamilton on the opening day of the league season. Passed with flying colours. 

The next big test was facing the reigning champions and double treble winners, and losing our captain before half time. Passed with flying colours. 

We've yet to go to Ibrox with a full squad this season, so I can only assume you were either dreaming or hallucinating about that. Dreaming, probably, given that your hatred of Levein far outweighs your love of the club.

FarmerTweedy
12 hours ago, oh ah grantona said:

I agree and for me Levein has bought the time to move upstairs at end of season. He won't ever go with Budge here .

I actually see what I think is a lot more of a Macphee stamp on the side over the past few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised come end of this season it's announced CL is going back up top or being phased out as the head coach 

Is that based on the similarity to the way previous teams managed by MacPhee played, or is it just all you've been able to come up with as a way to avoid actually giving Levein any credit for the recent upturn in form?

27 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Our first big test was going behind away to Hamilton on the opening day of the league season. Passed with flying colours. 

The next big test was facing the reigning champions and double treble winners, and losing our captain before half time. Passed with flying colours. 

We've yet to go to Ibrox with a full squad this season, so I can only assume you were either dreaming or hallucinating about that. Dreaming, probably, given that your hatred of Levein far outweighs your love of the club.

We had a full squad at Ibrox this season, apart from Berra. Dunne was playing so we were no weaker. Your excuse making is admirable though. In reality,  in modern day football,  teams never have "full" squads available but, given Levein signed 20 players in the close season, your excuses are simply ridiculous. As he's never beaten Rangers as Hearts manager,  possibly we need to look beyond injuries for a reason.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Hibs was unlucky. The Rangers one was total incompetence if not something more sinister, like officials being afraid of making big calls against Rangers.

What a lot of shite. The one that goes against us is a sinister decision but the one that goes for us is just a bit of bad luck.

At least you are seeing things from a balanced perspective eh!!!!! 

As previous posters have said the decisions generally even themselves out. 

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We had a full squad at Ibrox this season, apart from Berra. Dunne was playing so we were no weaker. Your excuse making is admirable though. In reality,  in modern day football,  teams never have "full" squads available but, given Levein signed 20 players in the close season, your excuses are simply ridiculous. As he's never beaten Rangers as Hearts manager,  possibly we need to look beyond injuries for a reason.

Levein beat the old Rangers at Ipox in his first spell but never mind Enzo. You keep making things up to heal your pain. 

2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Levein beat the old Rangers at Ipox in his first spell but never mind Enzo. You keep making things up to heal your pain. 

Did the game mean anything or was it a dead rubber???i don’t know just asking the question? 

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, bringonthesevco said:

I genuinely cannot make up my mind on how good a job Craig is doing.

on the one hand, we were top of the league, semi-final of the cup etc but on the other we seem to sign a higher percentage of poor players than most teams.  If we could improve that a bit we’d all agree that things are going well. I know people think it’s ok as most of the signings won’t be getting paid much but combined it’s a massive amount.

If we genuinely want to be challenging (even for 3rd), then I think Lee, Bozanic, Edwards, Amankwaa, Mulraney, Wighton are not up to the standard required and the jury is still out on  Garuccio and Clare and what have we done with Mitchell !!  If we put all of those players up for sale I doubt they’d be many takers ....

So I’m definitely in the 5/10 camp at the moment !!

We were doing that, but the scouting department was being run on a very limited budget, and has been significantly beefed up in the last year or so. Levein and Budge have both openly acknowledged that mistakes were made in the whole approach, as well as in individual decisions, and substantial changes have been made. The extent of the squad rebuild during the summer, on the budget we're operating with, was always going to mean that some of the players signed would turn out not to be of the necessary standard, and some would only be squad players (there will always be some players signed to be squad players, it's the nature of any squad-based sport). 

It's true that our squad should not have been in a state where it needed an almost total rebuild last summer, but it was, and the job Levein has done of that has been very good, and it's clear to see that we're now in a position where the basis of the squad is now pretty sound and a much lower level of squad turnover will be required in the next few years. 

i wish jj was my dad
Just now, rick witter said:

Did the game mean anything or was it a dead rubber???i don’t know just asking the question? 

We won at Ibrox whether it was a dead rubber or not I can't recall but Levein got slated for losing dead rubbers last year so If it was is he excused for those games. 

BTW FtH. 

:leveinnaturalorder:

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

We won at Ibrox whether it was a dead rubber or not I can't recall but Levein got slated for losing dead rubbers last year so If it was is he excused for those games. 

BTW FtH. 

:leveinnaturalorder:

Fair enough 

7 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Ahh the "old" Rangers. I see. Yes, I forgot about that end of season game. Anyway, just to reiterate, the defeat at Ibrox this season was nothing to do with injuries, we were well beaten. No excuses. 

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ahh the "old" Rangers. I see. Yes, I forgot about that end of season game. Anyway, just to reiterate, the defeat at Ibrox this season was nothing to do with injuries, we were well beaten. No excuses. 

Ah so it was a meaningless game. Thought that or there is no way we would have won. 

You are also correct about this seasons Ibrox match. Was quite embarrassing that Rangers only needed 18 mins to win the game. 

Edited by rick witter

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I never made any excuses. You said Hearts had never beaten Rangers under Levein. As much as it doesn't suit your agenda we have.

We are six points off the top of the table after playing a significant part of the season without our best 3 and other key players as we go into the winter break. The only rival we haven't beaten yet are the blue bigots. 

As much as it hurts you we will be stronger after the break and it's all to play for. 

❤️:clyay:

oh ah grantona
44 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Is that based on the similarity to the way previous teams managed by MacPhee played, or is it just all you've been able to come up with as a way to avoid actually giving Levein any credit for the recent upturn in form?

No I actually see Levein allowing or giving him the set poeces. We have certainly been a hell of a lot more creative in set plays than we have been in a long long time. 

That comes from set piece master Macphee 

I gave CL praise when it was required but I will shoot him down when required

Good for the club not great for first team is my opinion and it will not change as CL won't deliver or hint at silverware succes unless a draw opens up in his favour. Which hardly ever happens 

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Ah so it was a meaningless game. Thought that or there is no way we would have won. 

You are also correct about this seasons Ibrox match. Was quite embarrassing that Rangers only needed 18 mins to win the game. 

Was the trip to Fester meaningless? Craig's excellent record over 30 years against the wee team continues 

Bazzas right boot

**** me, the CL out slavers really stretching it now? 

Sack him because we lost at Ibrox 3-1....

Drifting aimlessly.... Folk missed us being top, win the first away Derby in 5 years? First semi in 4 years? 

**** me. 

Some need to really have a word with themselves and decide if following Hearts is for them, at least until CL leaves. 

The ability to continue to moan, gripe and get no joy from the team must be doing themselves mental harm. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I never made any excuses. You said Hearts had never beaten Rangers under Levein. As much as it doesn't suit your agenda we have.

We are six points off the top of the table after playing a significant part of the season without our best 3 and other key players as we go into the winter break. The only rival we haven't beaten yet are the blue bigots. 

As much as it hurts you we will be stronger after the break and it's all to play for. 

❤️:clyay:

I wasn't accusing you of making excuses, but it had been hinted at before that injuries were to blame for losing at Ibrox. Anyway, i accept CL beat Rangers before but, I'm sure you won't want to dwell on his overall OF record JJ.

We may well be stronger but the OF will be strengthening too and I think the gap between us and them is as small as it's going to be tbh. Aberdeen, too, are getting players back from injury while Killie are simply the most consistent team in the country, given their points haul during the last calendar year. St J are right behind with a game in hand too. It will certainly be an interesting second half as there are probably 7 teams that will fancy their chances of quslifying for Europe.

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Drifting aimlessly.... Folk missed us being top, win the first away Derby in 5 years? First semi in 4 years? 

**** me. 

Some need to really have a word with themselves and decide if following Hearts is for them, at least until CL leaves. 

The ability to continue to moan, gripe and get no joy from the team must be doing themselves mental harm. 

The tramps won't be happy until thejr nemesis is gone

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

I wasn't accusing you of making excuses, but it had been hinted at before that injuries were to blame for losing at Ibrox. Anyway, i accept CL beat Rangers before but, I'm sure you won't want to dwell on his overall OF record JJ.

We may well be stronger but the OF will be strengthening too and I think the gap between us and them is as small as it's going to be tbh. Aberdeen, too, are getting players back from injury while Killie are simply the most consistent team in the country, given their points haul during the last calendar year. St J are right behind with a game in hand too. It will certainly be an interesting second half as there are probably 7 teams that will fancy their chances of quslifying for Europe.

Yip, and with support from fans like you, getting right behind CL and the team we'll be one of the teams at least making Europe by the seasons end.... Eh? 

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The sort of competitive league people buy season tickets for, Enzo. 

I can't wait for us to get back in action. 

3 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Yip, and with support from fans like you, getting right behind CL and the team we'll be one of the teams at least making Europe by the seasons end.... Eh? 

I don't know for sure. Depends on the Cup Final as to how many places we get. I don't think we'll get 3rd. 4th is achievable imo.

3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The sort of competitive league people buy season tickets for, Enzo. 

I can't wait for us to get back in action. 

Some people certainly do JJ.

It should have been ten
20 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

**** me. 

17 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The tramps won't be happy until thejr nemesis is gone

Spot on lads. Maybe we should just ignore the vermin trolls. Sad individuals indeed.

2 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Spot on lads. Maybe we should just ignore the vermin trolls. Sad individuals indeed.

true , sad to see agendas against the manager that's just given us 1st away derby win in 5 years , but don;t bother about that, Rangers beat us at Ibrox  ,Craig Levein PHM IS the answer FTH

It should have been ten
15 minutes ago, cubanjambo said:

true , sad to see agendas against the manager that's just given us 1st away derby win in 5 years , but don;t bother about that, Rangers beat us at Ibrox  ,Craig Levein PHM IS the answer FTH

Absolutely mate, couldn’t agree more!

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Ours are more severe, no question but I’d wager that Leeds have had a more extensive list of injuries over the season than we have.

Point is, their form hasn’t been affected at all. Ours dropped off a cliff. Just a comparison at the end of the day.

FFS can you not give Leeds up.  There are plenty of clubs who have to resort to playing youngsters but in reality relatively fee succeed.

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

What a lot of shite. The one that goes against us is a sinister decision but the one that goes for us is just a bit of bad luck.

You can't see the difference between an offside not given when the ball was dead, the ref was in position and the linesman was looking along the line with an unobstructed view of at least one offside player and a goal from open play not given when both the ref and linesman were behind play and unsighted?

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Did Uche not go off injured never to return, so far?

FarmerTweedy

The Championship is the best example because the disparity is unbelievable. Leeds have nothing like the highest budget. Newcastle’s wage bill the year they went up was more than three times Leeds’ entire annual turnover. 

Celtic's wage budget is about five times our turnover.

FarmerTweedy

Probably an exception, but owing that to an exceptional coach. Don’t know though - people who watch them closely would be better places to say. I just live in Leeds and take an interest.

I rate Levein highly, but even I don't think I'd go as far as to say he's an exceptional coach. The thing is though, exceptional coaches tend to have lots of options for clubs that want to employ them, and those options are pretty much always at bigger clubs, and in bigger leagues, than us. The only chance we have of employing an exceptional coach is if we can correctly identify a potential one before bigger clubs than us do. That's basically what Levein tried to do with Cathro, which is probably the biggest thing he's got wrong in his career!

FarmerTweedy

We're a weaker team with Dunne than with Berra. Dunne is a talented player and may well go on to be better than Berra in time, but he doesn't have anything like the organisational and leadership attributes that Berra brings to the team. We lost that game primarily because of defensive mistakes. 

Thanks for admitting that you were slavering pish when you claimed we went there with a full squad though!

And given that you're happy to blame him for everything wrong that happened while he was only DoF, you really should give him some credit for us horsing sevco in the Championship. 

Edited by FarmerTweedy

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, oh ah grantona said:

No I actually see Levein allowing or giving him the set poeces. We have certainly been a hell of a lot more creative in set plays than we have been in a long long time. 

That comes from set piece master Macphee

I gave CL praise when it was required but I will shoot him down when required

Good for the club not great for first team is my opinion and it will not change as CL won't deliver or hint at silverware succes unless a draw opens up in his favour. Which hardly ever happens 

I'm not trying to be facetious or something here, but how do you know MacPhee does all the set piece stuff? Do you go to Riccarton and watch some of the training sessions? Do you actually know some of the coaching staff or players? Or do you just think that we've shown some creativity/imagination in our set pieces in recent times and think it's unlikely to have come from Levein?

And re silverware, most managers that win anything in Scotland outwith rangers and celtic do so because the draw opens up in their favour. If we replaced Levein, whoever came in would be in exactly the same position in that respect. 

Edited by FarmerTweedy

FarmerTweedy

Some people certainly do JJ.

People who love Hearts more than they hate Craig Levein do.

Bridge of Djoum
9 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Seven points better is an improvement, I’m not contesting that, and our best football this season has been better than last season (although if it had been worse then  we’d be having full-on meltdowns on here).

with regards to injuries, a good example to look at is Leeds United. So many injuries that they’ve been using U23s all season and barely had a senior player on the bench over Christmas. Two points clear at the top of the Championship with nothing like the division’s biggest budget. One reason - coaching.

FFS.

So because one team is doing well through an injury crisis, you use that to beat Levein over the head.

You used to be a decent poster.

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, rick witter said:

Ricks back! Same pish as usual though. When do the personal insults start?

5 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

People who love Hearts more than they hate Craig Levein do.

That's gonna be hard to prove. At the next game that I pick or choose to go to, I expect to see you there with a clipboard.

6 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

We're a weaker team with Dunne than with Berra. Dunne is a talented player and may well go on to be better than Berra in time, but he doesn't have anything like the organisational and leadership attributes that Berra brings to the team. We lost that game primarily because of defensive mistakes. 

Thanks for admitting that you were slavering pish when you claimed we went there with a full squad though!

And given that you're happy to blame him for everything wrong that happened while he was only DoF, you really should give him some credit for us horsing sevco in the Championship. 

OK, let's throw him a couple of victories against Rangers while DOF just to help his stats. That will be 26 points out of a possible 140 or so now.

47 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

OK, let's throw him a couple of victories against Rangers while DOF just to help his stats. That will be 26 points out of a possible 140 or so now.

We  have a fantastic manager and the club  is in the best position off field in decades.  If you cant be happy with that, why not do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Your constant negativity is just boring.

4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

FFS.

So because one team is doing well through an injury crisis, you use that to beat Levein over the head.

You used to be a decent poster.

Not only that but a team with one of the worlds most highly regarded coaches, who will, no doubt, be very expensive and have a dedicated team of highly paid staff, at a club who think nothing of spending 7m on a player 

Biesla is one of the most influential coaches since Cruyff. 

Leeds are a sleeping giant. 

Im not sure they are a relevant comparison. 

39 minutes ago, McCrae said:

We  have a fantastic manager and the club  is in the best position off field in decades.  If you cant be happy with that, why not do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Your constant negativity is just boring.

How can stating a fact be classed as negative? I've only been to 3 games all season. Can I suggest that if you don't like "negativity", you avoid threads with titles such as this one.

Leeds situation is different. Their young players who have come in for injuries are good. Jack Clarke is a better player than Anthony McDonald for example.

They also have an exceptional coach. Almost as good as Steve Clarke. 

• davemclaren locked this topic