Levein is not the answer mk2 ( merged )

Hood09

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's the thread before "Levein is not the answer mk3" - coming soon at an Internet near you after our next defeat.

Oh right cheers, thought it was a ‘the defend my hibs winning the cup decision’ from 2 and a half years ago thread, my mistake, really should read the thread title before posting such utter garbage. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Phil Dunphy

• Bull's-eye

• Enzo Chiefo

2 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Oh right cheers, thought it was a ‘the defend my hibs winning the cup decision’ from 2 and a half years ago thread, my mistake, really should read the thread title before posting such utter garbage. 

Easy mistake as it has veered in that direction after a detour into a "injuries to our key players shouldn't have affected our form at all and by the way Levein's responsible for the injuries anyhow" thread with a quick visit to a "Look how Leeds have coped with their injuries, we should be more like Leeds" thread.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Easy mistake as it has veered in that direction after a detour into a "injuries to our key players shouldn't have affected our form at all and by the way Levein's responsible for the injuries anyhow" thread with a quick visit to a "Look how Leeds have coped with their injuries, we should be more like Leeds" thread.

‘Multiple threads in one thread’ would be the best title for this one, mods, sort it out please. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Hibs loving EPL fanboy.

I prefer... 

Hun hating football enthusiast. ?

2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I prefer... 

Hun hating football enthusiast. ?

It's not about what you prefer though, it's about what others can make up.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Nope 

CL vegence is next. 

He wins the cup and all haters appoligise for being tits. 

Also folk that stand up get their heads loped off. 

Budget does not stretch to planes tho.. 

9 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Your not taking into account wages, employer's national insurance contributions,  Player Agent Fees and the ones we have had to pay off to leave.

Combined thats alot of money wasted over the last four and a half years.

If 20 go out and 20 come in the wages, etc will be much the same.

The money we got for Lafferty more than made up for any money "wasted"

28 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

Did you miss the 10 games in a row we couldn't beat them?

That was a low point for us and I suspect wouldn't have happened had they not won the cup.

They took a lot of belief from that.

That and us being spineless *******s for a couple of years.

Fortunately, and almost on topic, we seem to have come out of that.

did they make it 10 ? 

Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I know the new main stand isn't perfect, but to describe it, the debt owed to Ann Budge, and her shareholding as dross is very strange.

Good try, but I was referring instead to the amount of guff players signed by the Club and the need for the Football Department to play their part in raising revenues, by reaching Cup Finals.

Just now, Jingle Bells said:

Good try, but I was referring instead to the amount of guff players signed by the Club and the need for the Football Department to play their part in raising revenues, by reaching Cup Finals.

Every football club in the world budgets for getting knocked out of any cup competition in the first round they enter.

13 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Nope 

CL vegence is next. 

He wins the cup and all haters appoligise for being tits. 

Also folk that stand up get their heads loped off. 

Budget does not stretch to planes tho.. 

Ay? Can’t work that out ??‍♂️

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

Wrong reply

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Every club has signings that don't work out. Could be much worse for us. Look at Hibs signings under Lennon. Or Celtic spending 4.5m on Hendry, Commper, Cifti and Hayes. Levein did a remarkable job overhauling our squad in the summer and getting them playing well as a team so quickly.

Jingle Bells
44 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As we're also discussing Hibs on here, we've only signed 7 or 8 more players than them since Neilson and Stubbs took over  - ie Levein's time at the club -  and we've had one more manager change than them which always leads to more player turnover. We've also had more successes and fewer duds while operating with a lower budget so he's done all right. We can't really compare with Aberdeen and Killie as promotion and manager changes always leads to more players coming and going.

I couldn't give a furry rat's erse what other Clubs get up to especially The Shite.

However I would say a major part of the DOF role is to ensure continuity of playing staff when there is a change of Head Coach (in our case).

We have discussed this before on another thread but would add to that we have hardly been building a squad over the last four years in the same manner as MacDonald/Jardine  or JJ (first time around) did and they also had transfer fees to contend with.

6 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

I couldn't give a furry rat's erse what other Clubs get up to especially The Shite.

However I would say a major part of the DOF role is to ensure continuity of playing staff when there is a change of Head Coach (in our case).

We have discussed this before on another thread but would add to that we have hardly been building a squad over the last four years in the same manner as MacDonald/Jardine  or JJ (first time around) did and they also had transfer fees to contend with.

Changed days from then. Money talks now. We'd never have kept half of Doddie and JJ's (my 2 favourite Hearts managers) best teams for as long as we did if they were operating today's climate. Players like Cameron, McCann, Weir, etc would have been straight down south or picked up by the OF much sooner. In those days the financial gulf in players wages was much smaller. That's how a good player like Dave McPherson was able to switch between us and Rangers twice, and we kept someone like Craig Levein so long. The Bosman ruling also changed things forever, with players suddenly holding all the power. When JJ did get a huge budget he unfortunately mostly blew it.

Levein came in and had to wheel and deal at a time when the OF were really stretching away financially and the league had become a 2 horse race. He did a very good job in his first spell and I think has done well 2nd time around in different circumstances.

Edited by Guest

50 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

My favourite is the new boy who signed up on here on Christmas Day.......CHRISTMAS DAY???

I presume you're referring to me? I didn't join on Christmas Day. It was simply when my application was approved. Whoever approved could attest 

The reason I joined was to contact a poster who was looking to swap tickets for Saturday 

Hopefully that's OK 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Lots of new posters obsessed with Tosh....

I'm an old poster and I'm obsessed with Tosh. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Jim Weir said:

I presume you're referring to me? I didn't join on Christmas Day. It was simply when my application was approved. Whoever approved could attest 

The reason I joined was to contact a poster who was looking to swap tickets for Saturday 

Hopefully that's OK 

Aye whatever.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Be good to get a break from hibs winning the Cup chat ?

:lol:

You need to stop bringing it up, Tosh.

Enjoy the game. :thumbsup:

Just now, Notts1874 said:

Aye whatever.

I'm sure whoever approves these things could confirm 

Perhaps you're cosy enough to find out 

3 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

I'm sure whoever approves these things could confirm 

Perhaps you're cosy enough to find out 

Took two posts??????

6 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

As someone who can’t think of any institution as loathesome as Celtic, I was delighted when they hammered Hibs in the cup final in 2013. 

Because any Hearts supporter who would take a shred of happiness out of Hibs winning a throw in, let alone a major trophy, isn’t a proper Hearts supporter. 

Lots of Hearts fans (mostly older generation) wanted Hibs to win the cup in 1958.

We had already won the league and they wanted an 'Edinburgh double'. Thousands joined Hibs fans at Hampden only for Clyde to beat them 1-0 ?

Don't try and tell me they weren't proper Hearts fans.

Whatever Hibs win or lose has nothing to do with us. We should concentrate on what we can achieve and support whoever is running the team.

Jingle Bells
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Changed days from then. Money talks now. We'd never have kept half of Doddie and JJ's best teams for as long as we did if they were operating today's climate. Players like Cameron, McCann, Weir, etc would have been straight down south or picked up by the OF much sooner. In those days the financial gulf in players wages was much smaller. That's how a good player like Dave McPherson was able to switch between us and Rangers twice, and we kept someone like Craig Levein so long. The Bosman ruling also changed things forever, with players suddenly holding all the power. When JJ did get a huge budget he unfortunately mostly blew it.

I'd agree with you regarding JJ.

He was definately a Manager whom needed to be drip feed with resources rather than being given the keys to the vault.

Most of them whom have spent an entire working life in football are a bit the same.

There was a big difference in wages even back in those days

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Lots of Hearts fans (mostly older generation) wanted Hibs to win the cup in 1958.

We had already won the league and they wanted an 'Edinburgh double'. Thousands joined Hibs fans at Hampden only for Clyde to beat them 1-0 ?

Don't try and tell me they weren't proper Hearts fans.

Whatever Hibs win or lose has nothing to do with us. We should concentrate on what we can achieve and support whoever is running the team.

Was this before or after they all wished our club dead?

Jingle Bells
44 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Every football club in the world budgets for getting knocked out of any cup competition in the first round they enter.

I'm taking about the Football Department raising money for the Club though, via that route.

Just now, Jingle Bells said:

I'm taking about the Football Department raising money for the Club though, via that route.

Shall we give them a chance for some of the youngsters to develop first maybe?

5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Was this before or after they all wished our club dead?

Good point !

I must admit my attitude to them has hardened since their attempts to twart our CVA.

Their time in the sun has passed largely due to CL . Since the season both sides were relegated only two derbies have been won by the away team and both were by the team wearing maroon.

If beating Hibs is to be benchmark for a Hearts manager we have the right man in charge. He hates them as much as any fan.

Jingle Bells
52 minutes ago, graygo said:

Lafferty was a fairly safe bet compared to some that Hearts have signed.

By scouting properly the Club could have minimised the risks and thereby maximised the amount they made on the Lafferty.transfer.

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

Good job you weren't an advisor to Craig Whyte otherwise Rangers might still be alive. 

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm an old poster and I'm obsessed with Tosh. :thumbsup:

Cos I'm sexy. 

Jingle Bells
58 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Shall we give them a chance for some of the youngsters to develop first maybe?

Unfortunately, historically few will make it into the first team from the youth set up (or from any other Academy), If we find a superstar more than likely the bigger Clubs will try and nick him when it comes to signing a professional contract. Take our long search for a goal scorer as an example, how good are we really at signing up players at the "value end of the market"? 

Hearts will always be reliant on income from the fans and because of this I think the main danger to us is that if the football side of things stagnates for long enough,  it will eventually lead to apathy amongst the support,(a bit like in the 70s) .

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Renault said:

Now I have two things to dislike you for ?

Just two?

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
59 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Good point !

I must admit my attitude to them has hardened since their attempts to twart our CVA.

Their time in the sun has passed largely due to CL . Since the season both sides were relegated only two derbies have been won by the away team and both were by the team wearing maroon.

If beating Hibs is to be benchmark for a Hearts manager we have the right man in charge. He hates them as much as any fan.

i bet levein didn't want hibs to achieve their holy grail

budge did tho

3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

i bet levein didn't want hibs to achieve their holy grail

budge did tho

I'd bet that Levein couldn't have given a shiny shite whether they won it or not.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'd bet that Levein couldn't have given a shiny shite whether they won it or not.

i disagree :)

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

So do I.  ;) 

I meant his official viewpoint.

So do I.  ;) 

I meant his official viewpoint.

:lol:

ok ?

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Mr Levein is obviously the answer, he's pissing off the trolls and Gobshites.

For that alone he should be getting a pay rise and an extended contract.

Give him a 3 year deal as he just loves them.

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

O you weren't, you were claiming part of the FoH contributions are being spent on players and that it was wasted because not every signing has been a success. 

6 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Unfortunately, historically few will make it into the first team from the youth set up (or from any other Academy), If we find a superstar more than likely the bigger Clubs will try and nick him when it comes to signing a professional contract. Take our long search for a goal scorer as an example, how good are we really at signing up players at the "value end of the market"? 

Hearts will always be reliant on income from the fans and because of this I think the main danger to us is that if the football side of things stagnates for long enough,  it will eventually lead to apathy amongst the support,(a bit like in the 70s) .

You think the football side of things is stagnating? Great season in the Championship, got into Europe at the first go after promotion, heading for Europe again until Neilson left, then after a period of transition to repair the damage caused by Cathro, had an amazing start to this season. When have we stagnated exactly?

It's likely we'll follow the pattern we always follow. One good season for every couple of meh seasons, plus a poor season every 4 or 5 years leading to a manager change, but still mostly around the top 4 with occasional purple patches and dire periods, plus an occasional cup run. That's Hearts and that pattern doesn't seem to have caused fans to leave. Most know that the chances are high we'll have a good season after one or two meh ones so they stick around for it.

17 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Poor argument that.... 

Take that over a revitalised rangers any day. They are/were far more dangerous if that's your argument. 

You sound scared of hibs., tbh. 

If you ever called CL a loser a shite bag or a loser.... 

Revitalised hibs...... 

:trippin:

Hibs are shite, cup or no cup. 

But Rangers are and always were going to be revitalised 

Not Hibs though, although the start of them reverting to going small might be underway 

14 hours ago, luckydug said:

Good point !

What was the other one?  Before Saturday, the last time we won there was April 2014.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Not Hibs though, although the start of them reverting to going small might be underway 

So the wee club reverting to type by going super wee me?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Poor argument that.... 

Take that over a revitalised rangers any day. They are/were far more dangerous if that's your argument. 

You sound scared of hibs., tbh. 

If you ever called CL a loser a shite bag or a loser.... 

Revitalised hibs...... 

:trippin:

Hibs are shite, cup or no cup. 

Rangers had literally just won promotion. How on earth was a cup win going to “revitalise” them???

Only one club stood to benefit significantly from winning the cup that year, and that was the vermin. Defeat in that final would have damaged them massively.

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Rangers had literally just won promotion. How on earth was a cup win going to “revitalise” them???

Only one club stood to benefit significantly from winning the cup that year, and that was the vermin. Defeat in that final would have damaged them massively.

You can't say it would revatilise hibs and not acknowledge the same about rangers. 

That's what he did, and if that's your point, you have none. 

If you wanted Hibs beat for being hibs, fair enough. But you can't argue about revitalising the club without acknowledging that effect on either club. 

Hibs are that revatilised they are 8th two years later after a 4th place finish. 

I must have missed the bit about them being years ahead, dominating the derby and Scottish football since the cup win. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The longer the better tho. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

You can't say it would revatilise hibs and not acknowledge the same about rangers. 

That's what he did, and if that's your point, you have none. 

If you wanted Hibs beat for being hibs, fair enough. But you can't argue about revitalising the club without acknowledging that effect on either club. 

Hibs are that revatilised they are 8th two years later after a 4th place finish. 

I must have missed the bit about them being years ahead, dominating the derby and Scottish football since the cup win. 

the two teams were in completely different situations

rangers were on the up albeit miles away from where they believe their rightful place is but heading that way

hibs were hanging onto a cliff by their finger nails above a massive Dunfermline-like abyss

rangers winning the cup would have been an unwelcome helping hand along a road they were always going to travel anyway

hibs didn't fall into the abyss - a place similar to where they salivated at the prospect of hearts falling into either via liquidation or problems post admin

• davemclaren locked this topic