Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

The Treasurer
35 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

So because we don;t spend £150m on players the fans can't make a difference. Take it you weren't at the Hearts v Bayern game? Remember the hostile atmosphere that night? Our fans would probably applaud them now

I was at both legs v Bayern.

I wouldn't describe the atmosphere as "hostile".

We got behind the team, no doubt about that, but we managed it without "pyros" and it didn't matter whether you were standing on the terraces or sitting in the stand.

2 things you seen to think are vital to creating an atmosphere.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember when origi was classed as one of the worst players in Europe. This season he has stepped in for Salah in this match and scored winners v Everton and Newcastle. Some turn around

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

We got behind the team, no doubt about that, but we managed it without "pyros" and it didn't matter whether you were standing on the terraces or sitting in the stand.

I would say it was hostile. The first 20 minutes every Bayern touch was greeted with boos and colourful shouts. Then McLaren just about cut one of them in half to cheers. The shed belted out tunes. Bayern froze. That wouldn't happen now

Football changes and Pyros is part of it 

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Aye, that confused me also. Hostile is the last word I would have used. Great but not hostile.

2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

I would say it was hostile. The first 20 minutes every Bayern touch was greeted with boos and colourful shouts. Then McLaren just about cut one of them in half to cheers. The shed belted out tunes. Bayern froze. That wouldn't happen now

Aye, maybe time is playing tricks with my memory. First 20 mins I was just trying to stand in one place....with no luck.

AlphonseCapone
11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Of the major clubs in Europe, there's only two I detest: Real Madrid and Juventus. But I've no time whatsoever for Bayern or PSG, and I can't stand Barca with their constant preening bollocks. 

If they were true to their "more than a club" shite, OK. But they're not. They sold out many years ago, and have dived, thrown themselves around, and got other players sent off by cheating for well over a decade now.

As for their fans in tears at the end... get a life boys. They've run away with another title in Europe's most financially rigged league, and they've won Big Ears 4 times since 2006. Just like Madrid fans, they're pathetically spoiled, entitled brats.

I don't think an arm chair football fan should have the audacity to criticise folk that actually go support their team. 

Some game last night, that's why we love football. The absolute state of this thread though. Folk falling out over an English team playing in Europe, embarrassing stuff. 

The Treasurer
24 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Fans booing the opposition and cheering when a player goes in hard !!!

Wow those were the days, never hear anything like that now.

Causing damage to OUR pitch and filling the air with thick smoke is not "part of it" 

Jamhammer
44 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Liverpool aren't full of world class players. They have the best defender in the world in Van Dyke, Mo Salah and Firminho and the last two were out for this match. They have other excellent players but in comparison to Barcelona who have Messi, Suarez and Coutinho as a front three alone. 

Just shows how great a manager Klopp really is. He has to be the best manager In the world just now

When you saw his press conference you just knew the players would believe in him and themselves. He essentially said, "We need to score 4 goals. Why not"? Like he was talking abut going to the shops. He is a fantastic manager. His teams play great football. TBH I don't think the pyros made that much of a difference

Stephane Grappelli
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Rubbish, if you don't mind me saying.

If a club in Scotland or England were to talk abut winning "The Treble" we would immediately think about the domestic treble of League, Cup and League Cup. Why should it be different for clubs in other countries? It just so happens that the League Cup doesn't exist in Spain (it was a very short-lived competition) and they have the Supercopa de España instead.

I don't mind you saying, but you're wrong.

Barça themselves have been talking about the treble being the league, the Cup and the Champions League.  If they were including the Spanish Charity Shield they'd have been talking about the quadruple.

Run along now and learn some arithmetic, and some manners.

We_are_the_Hearts
15 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Fans booing the opposition and cheering when a player goes in hard !!!

Wow those were the days, never hear anything like that now.

Causing damage to OUR pitch and filling the air with thick smoke is not "part of it" 

You left out the colourful shouts and songs from the shed?

The place is a morgue, the support is divided. Play the devils advocate all you want.

Our fans have went soft and the opposition now enjoy coming to Tynecastle.

8 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I don't mind you saying, but you're wrong.

Barça themselves have been talking about the treble being the league, the Cup and the Champions League.  If they were including the Spanish Charity Shield they'd have been talking about the quadruple.

Run along now and learn some arithmetic, and some manners.

I've noticed some of your previous answers to posters. You really are a weapons grade erse, if you don't mind me saying.

11 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The place is a morgue, the support is divided. Play the devils advocate all you want.

I can think of a number of games the last couple of seasons where the atmosphere has been brilliant. And many games where it has been non-existent. Oddly enough, I think it coincided with the team playing some actual football on the park thus exciting the crowd.

Unless you are sticking some drugs into a pyro to excite the crowd, they really don't get the crowd going like the players doing their job on the park.

1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Exactly where I am, it's funny how up tight people get with the Messi/Ronaldo debate. Just enjoy them both! As for Messi not being as good as everyone says because he lost last night? ? that's one of the best things I've read on here. 

Amazing result, Klopp is such a positive influence, can really see that in his team!

Listening to TalkSport just now, they are DESPERATE for Spurs to go through. Tim Sherwood saying that the Ajax young team won't have faced pressure like this and will likely crumble. Maybe he missed their games against Real and Juve!

Ajax are at that stage where people are waiting on them to slip up.  I’m not so sure it’ll be the dramatic fall people expect. 

Spurs are capable of coming back but Ajax are equally capable of seeing the tie off. 

Ajax have sprung from nowhere and it’ll be a shame when they start to lose their top players. 

The Treasurer
21 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

You chose to use the Bayern game as an example (and it was a great night TBF)

Why not use a home game against Airdrie or a LC tie against Dumbarton as an example of how things used to be ?

People look back with maroon tinted memories that Tynecastle was always rocking with "edgy" songs and "colourful shouts" (whatever that means)

The truth is that, apart from the odd occasion, there is only a real  atmosphere when it's a big game and it's always been the same.

In fact I'd say it's probably better at the "smaller" games now that when we had 7-8k scattered around wide open terraces.

You also say our fans have "gone soft"

WTF does that mean ??

Edited by The Treasurer

Armageddon

Few things from last night, and I'm not a huge Liverpool fan and if I'm honest it stems from their previous love in with Sellick, anyway, the rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone was spine tinglingly emotional.

What a team they are but what a Manager Klippity Klopp is, some character.

Also, the Barca fans applauding at the end is another sign of what football is all about for me.

"Football is always the winner"

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He's greetin cause ye didnae say Real will catch them.

Tears and snotters for nothing.

Is he really? 

?

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Ye ragin' mate aye?

Is that why you won't answer the Messi question?

What was the Messi question? 

Robbo-Jambo
10 hours ago, tian447 said:

Oops! 

You know what I meant :lol:

:vrface:

Aye, but couldn't resist it ??

24 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye, but couldn't resist it ??

:olly:

:jjyay:

ArcticJambo
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Liverpool aren't full of world class players. They have the best defender in the world in Van Dyke, Mo Salah and Firminho and the last two were out for this match. They have other excellent players but in comparison to Barcelona who have Messi, Suarez and Coutinho as a front three alone. 

Just shows how great a manager Klopp really is. He has to be the best manager In the world just now

Not really having a go at you specifically but this post is typical of most posting here, you obviously only casually watch Barcelona if you actually think Coutinho and/or Suarez are relevant to Barcelona these days.  In the case of the former he hasn't ever been relevant.  PC should never have been anywhere near the starting line-up yesterday, against a team that everybody and their dog knew were going to be physical and intense, he's just too powderpuff and is easily dispossessed.  Suarez only scores goals against mid-table La Liga games, the rest of his game has been in steady decline for a good two years.  His first goal in 13UCL games or something last week was obviously an outlier.

Over the course of the two games, Barcelona were comprehensively outplayed, despite the flattering score favouring Barcelona last week.  Seasoned Barcelona watchers will tell you that this team over the past two seasons, at least, have been carried by Messi and a couple of others (ter Stegen, Alba, Umitit last year, Pique this year).  They've played countless games in La Liga this year where you stand back after the game and scratch you head wondering how the opposition didn't get anything from the game - that is predominantly down to poor finishing, and Messi.  EV just doesn't seem to have the edge/nous that a top-level coach requires, and certainly isn't going to one-up any of the top coaches in football. He'll be emptied after the CdR.

Anyway, I agree with you on Klopp; a fantastic coach, who deserves all the plaudits he's receiving.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Stephane Grappelli
39 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

What was the Messi question? 

Can't remember exactly.  Something about dishes it out but can't take it back.

Reminds me of someone...

Stephane Grappelli
59 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've noticed some of your previous answers to posters. You really are a weapons grade erse, if you don't mind me saying.

Of course I don't mind.  It says more about you then it does about me.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Exactly where I am, it's funny how up tight people get with the Messi/Ronaldo debate. Just enjoy them both! As for Messi not being as good as everyone says because he lost last night? ? that's one of the best things I've read on here. 

Amazing result, Klopp is such a positive influence, can really see that in his team!

Listening to TalkSport just now, they are DESPERATE for Spurs to go through. Tim Sherwood saying that the Ajax young team won't have faced pressure like this and will likely crumble. Maybe he missed their games against Real and Juve!

Also practically every time Spurs face adversity they crumble, they lost 4 goals against Man City and you would think it was some sort of masterclass from them. Their luck has run out.

The Internet
15 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not really having a go at you specifically but this post is typical of most posting here, you obviously only casually watch Barcelona if you actually think Coutinho and/or Suarez are relevant to Barcelona these days.  In the case of the former he hasn't ever been relevant.  PC should never have been anywhere near the starting line-up yesterday, against a team that everybody and their dog knew were going to be physical and intense, he's just too powderpuff and is easily dispossessed.  Suarez only scores goals against mid-table La Liga games, the rest of his game has been in steady decline for a good two years.  His first goal in 13UCL games or something last week was obviously an outlier.

Over the course of the two games, Barcelona were comprehensively outplayed, despite the flattering score favouring Barcelona last week.  Seasoned Barcelona watchers will tell you that this team over the past two seasons, at least, have been carried by Messi and a couple of others (ter Stegen, Alba, Umitit last year, Pique this year).  They've played countless games in La Liga this year where you stand back after the game and scratch you head wondering how the opposition didn't get anything from the game - that is predominantly down to poor finishing, and Messi.  EV just doesn't seem to have the edge/nous that a top-level coach requires, and certainly isn't going to one-up any of the top coaches in football. He'll be emptied after the CdR.

Anyway, I agree with you on Klopp; a fantastic coach, who deserves all the plaudits he's receiving.

:spoton:

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, kila said:

I can think of a number of games the last couple of seasons where the atmosphere has been brilliant. And many games where it has been non-existent. Oddly enough, I think it coincided with the team playing some actual football on the park thus exciting the crowd.

Unless you are sticking some drugs into a pyro to excite the crowd, they really don't get the crowd going like the players doing their job on the park.

Exactly, also pressing teams as Liverpool did last night gets fans on their feet and gets the atmosphere going. You don’t need the best players to do this just a fantastic level of fitness and an awareness of how to do it properly.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Can't remember exactly.  Something about dishes it out but can't take it back.

Reminds me of someone...

aye, if you want. I'll agree to that.

Ronaldo?

tokyowalnut
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly, also pressing teams as Liverpool did last night gets fans on their feet and gets the atmosphere going. You don’t need the best players to do this just a fantastic level of fitness and an awareness of how to do it properly.

I understand, clearly, that players have all differing levels of ability, but every full time player is capable of getting themselves fitter and stronger. I dont really want to bring Hearts into this thread, although I now am, but when we have swarmed the opposition we have looked good and it gets the crowd going. Not sure why we've only done that a handful of times. Liverpool are excellent at it. 

I'd still like to see Ajax win this before they are broken up in the summer. I also don't want to see the spew-fest of an all English final.

Stephane Grappelli
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

aye, if you want. I'll agree to that.

Ronaldo?

Not who I had in mind but go with him if you prefer...

3 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

So because we don;t spend £150m on players the fans can't make a difference. Take it you weren't at the Hearts v Bayern game? Remember the hostile atmosphere that night? Our fans would probably applaud them now

To be fair I remember being beaten at home 0-2 by Hamilton around 77-78 in the first division and we applauded Hamilton off the pitch as they ran us ragged.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

unnamed.jpg

Geoff the Mince
38 minutes ago, benny said:

For Spurs to win Eriksen and Dele Alli will have to play a lot better than they have recently.

Son is back which is a big boost ;  i do think Spurs will win tonight .

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

I understand, clearly, that players have all differing levels of ability, but every full time player is capable of getting themselves fitter and stronger. I dont really want to bring Hearts into this thread, although I now am, but when we have swarmed the opposition we have looked good and it gets the crowd going. Not sure why we've only done that a handful of times. Liverpool are excellent at it. 

I'd still like to see Ajax win this before they are broken up in the summer. I also don't want to see the spew-fest of an all English final.

Agreed, although if Liverpool win it’s also good for the game as they play the right way with a forward thinking progressive coach who clearly has his players playing for him.

Robbo-Jambo
8 minutes ago, Deek said:

To be fair I remember being beaten at home 0-2 by Hamilton around 77-78 in the first division and we applauded Hamilton off the pitch as they ran us ragged.

Remember it well ?. Certainly wasn't applauding too busy going mental at Hearts ?. One of the real low points in our history. 

40 minutes ago, benny said:

For Spurs to win Eriksen and Dele Alli will have to play a lot better than they have recently.

Problem with Alli is his attitude. He also only seems to come to life when the effective trio of Kane, Eriksen and himself are on the park. 

Swans about too much and gets caught in possession or doesn’t play it quick enough. 

However, it looked like he had a kick up the arse v Bournemouth and looked a bit sharper than usual. Needs the same tonight. 

12 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Fantastic mate, absolutely love it! It was weird being in the away end at Anfield when Hearts played there eh? ?

It’s never weird being in any away end following Hearts TOT, but I know what you mean. Didn’t like Suarez after his goal against us or for Barca last week, so delighted he’s now eating humble pie after last night lol 

It does look now that Manchester City will win the English title. 

So Champions League is Liverpool only chance actually winning something.

What would the Liverpool fanboys on here prefer if they had to choose Title or CL ?

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

What would the Liverpool fanboys on here prefer if they had to choose Title or CL ?

They really want the title

Nookie Bear
44 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

It’s never weird being in any away end following Hearts TOT, but I know what you mean. Didn’t like Suarez after his goal against us or for Barca last week, so delighted he’s now eating humble pie after last night lol 

Would love to be in the away end at Tynie. Would be winding up the Section G dicks and flinging smoke bombs towards the directors box

:scenes:

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Title I would imagine. They've won the CL fairly recently and they want to get their record back from Man Utd.

Big Slim Stylee
6 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

You chose to use the Bayern game as an example (and it was a great night TBF)

Why not use a home game against Airdrie or a LC tie against Dumbarton as an example of how things used to be ?

People look back with maroon tinted memories that Tynecastle was always rocking with "edgy" songs and "colourful shouts" (whatever that means)

The truth is that, apart from the odd occasion, there is only a real  atmosphere when it's a big game and it's always been the same.

In fact I'd say it's probably better at the "smaller" games now that when we had 7-8k scattered around wide open terraces.

You also say our fans have "gone soft"

WTF does that mean ??

The constant misty-eyed stuff on here is bemusing at times. “Tynecastle’s a library” is a favourite. What as opposed to an empty library like it was years back? Selective memories or senility plays a part, but the fact is it has always been the big games when it comes alive and not 6k against St. Johnstone on a weeknight.

2 hours ago, Crete said:

I love listening to the Liverpool fans singing YNWA so emotional. ?.

:cornette:

Angel eyes
4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

They really want the title

Klopp has had 4 years in charge and spent what nearly 400million think it’s about time they won something!

Stephane Grappelli
20 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Of the major clubs in Europe, there's only two I detest: Real Madrid and Juventus. But I've no time whatsoever for Bayern or PSG, and I can't stand Barca with their constant preening bollocks. 

If they were true to their "more than a club" shite, OK. But they're not. They sold out many years ago, and have dived, thrown themselves around, and got other players sent off by cheating for well over a decade now.

As for their fans in tears at the end... get a life boys. They've run away with another title in Europe's most financially rigged league, and they've won Big Ears 4 times since 2006. Just like Madrid fans, they're pathetically spoiled, entitled brats.

Nothing against Liverpool and I'm absolutely delighted that they thrashed that shower of cheating *******s last night.

I think you have a rather romanticised version of the club and it's fans though. For me, the English Celtic description is very apt and not because of some pseudo religious bollocks or the fact they share a fondness for a certain Rodgers and Hammerstein anthem.

Both clubs come from a city where everyone thinks he's a comedian.  Both sets of supports are offended by everything and embarrassed by nothing.  Both describe themselves as clubs of the people, that most tired of old cliches. 

Both describe themselves as the greatest fans in the world and have projected this image worldwide.  Rival fans, like us every time Celtic come to Tynie, know different.  You only have to watch those Liverpool fans pushing that poor old man into the fountain in Barcelona, then laughing about it, to see what utter scum they are.

As for your point about entitled brats.  Was speaking to a mate from Newcastle last week who has a season ticket for Newcastle United.  He can't stand Liverpool precisely because their fans are so spoilt and self entitled.

In saying all that, so delighted they absolutely ****ing SMASHED Barcelona.  

Well done Liverpool, well done.

Hampden Demolition

Liverpool fans only getting just over 16k tickets. Absolute disgrace! Less than 25% of the stadium capacity meaning the ‘UEFA family’ will have half the stadium. Everything that is wrong with modern football.