Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

It should have been ten
20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Some result and I didn't see that coming. Heading back from a gig so haven't seen any of the goals etc. 

Hopefully Ajax can finish the job tomorrow and go on a win the final though. ? 

Most importantly, how many Liverpool players were burgled tonight? 

:spoton:

:laugh2:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
37 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I know, sorry mate. Needed to pick on someone. 

Sorry pal. Just need to ram it right up someone.

I'd go with the second one, feels more natural

I don't like Liverpool very much, yet they had me jumping off the couch 4 times tonight.  What a game of football, even a non-football fan would have had a blast watching that. 

Great effort, very well done. They'll likely win against either Spurs or Tottenham, and it will more than make up for their inevitable finishing 2nd in the Premier League. 

It should have been ten
Just now, tian447 said:

I don't like Liverpool very much, yet they had me jumping off the couch 4 times tonight.  What a game of football, even a non-football fan would have had a blast watching that. 

Great effort, very well done. They'll likely win against either Spurs or Tottenham, and it will more than make up for their inevitable finishing 2nd in the Premier League. 

:arf:

Robbo-Jambo
7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

No chance if they are playing the two of them. ?

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

What have A Madrid got to do with it?  This is all about Barça getting turned over and Messi going missing yet again when they needed him most.

Just saying Barca aren't that great and A Madrid might catch them next season in the league. 

Calm down. 

1 hour ago, Haringshairband said:

Probably didn't word that quite right. People actually on my Facebook claiming to be Liverpool fans who were born and bred in Saughton actually celebrating as if it was Hearts who just reached a champions league final. I acknowledge it was fantastic football, I just can't get that passionate as they're not my team.

I wonder if it was Shorty Rogers and his family? He was scouse and lived in saughton mains place. His sons Ronnie and Ritchie Woodbridge were dyed in the wool Liverpool fans and iirc they used to take kids down to Anfield in the late 70’s early 80’s. They were definitely born and bred in saughton mains like myself. Other than that family then there were none that spring to mind. I was a busy bee regular until it closed and don’t recall many Liverpool fans from there. 

The Old Tolbooth

What a night! Even Klopp is lost for words, I'm lost for words too! That was just an unbelievably incredible night, with so many good players out for various reasons, and totally up against it from the first leg, this was the best ever!!! 

How did it even happen? Liverpool were utterly breathtaking tonight, and I think Origi has just won himself a new pay rise!l, but that winning goal was just genius, utterly genius!!! Trent was walking away from the corner and then spied Origi in the box and ran back and played it, incredible vision and just genius!

Liverpool deserve a trophy this season and I'd happily settle for this own as the league title looks done and dusted, I'm hoping Ajax win the semi now! 

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I wonder if it was Shorty Rogers and his family? He was scouse and lived in saughton mains place. His sons Ronnie and Ritchie Woodbridge were dyed in the wool Liverpool fans and iirc they used to take kids down to Anfield in the late 70’s early 80’s. They were definitely born and bred in saughton mains like myself. Other than that family then there were none that spring to mind. I was a busy bee regular until it closed and don’t recall many Liverpool fans from there. 

Or it could have been me too, Liverpool daft since the 70s, and used to drink in the Busy Bee, there were a few Liverpool fans in there tbh. 

The Old Tolbooth
58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If Poch sends them out with 4 at the back they have a chance. If he tries the 3 again then he’s playing into their hands. I’d say it’s too hard to call as the game at the Lane was very much a game of two halves. 

As excited as I am tonight for that Liverpool performance, I reckon Spurs are right in it tomorrow mate, they've proved that they can go away from home and be stubborn *******s to play against, Liverpool should have been 3 up at half time at Anfield, and were lucky not to lose in the end in that game, and you want to City and knocked them out of the CL, if you don't believe you can do it tomorrow night then what's the point? Spurs are more than capable mate, and I think they'll grind it out. 

1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Or it could have been me too, Liverpool daft since the 70s, and used to drink in the Busy Bee, there were a few Liverpool fans in there tbh. 

I recall a couple of Liverpool fans from saughton but like I said not many. I’m not on Facebook so wouldn’t know who’s been posting. I used to play for the Busy Bee pub team in the Sunday league back in the 80’s. I’ve had a Liverpool season ticket for 5 years now and will be there on Sunday. I only go and watch them if the fixtures don’t clash with my first love though. Hearts will always come first over anything. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I recall a couple of Liverpool fans from saughton but like I said not many. I’m not on Facebook so wouldn’t know who’s been posting. I used to play for the Busy Bee pub team in the Sunday league back in the 80’s. I’ve had a Liverpool season ticket for 5 years now and will be there on Sunday. I only go and watch them if the fixtures don’t clash with my first love though. Hearts will always come first over anything. 

Fantastic mate, absolutely love it! It was weird being in the away end at Anfield when Hearts played there eh? ?

Pasquale for King

Fantastic to watch a team fight for each other, press constantly and over come a technically better team. What an amazing comeback and it will be some final against the might Ajax.

52 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

:arf:

45 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No chance if they are playing the two of them. ?

Oops! 

You know what I meant :lol:

:vrface:

Edited by tian447

It should have been ten
51 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Oops! 

You know what I meant :lol:

:vrface:

Haha :lol:

The Internet
6 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Precisely. Which is why he absolutely is not the Greatest. When the going gets tough, Messi - genius though he undoubtedly is - goes missing. 

Lot of absolute shite this. You can't have watched that last night and not noticed how good Messi was compared to the rest of the team. Like I said earlier, he's now having to do both xavi and iniesta's job but also be on the receiving end cos he's the only one who can finish. He created numerous chances. 

6 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

What have A Madrid got to do with it?  This is all about Barça getting turned over and Messi going missing yet again when they needed him most.

Stop talking pish. 

Well done Liverpool.

Ajax worthy European champions.

5 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Just saying Barca aren't that great and A Madrid might catch them next season in the league. 

Calm down. 

He's greetin cause ye didnae say Real will catch them.

Tears and snotters for nothing.

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

They've been talking about the treble as league, Champions League and Copa del Rey.  If they were including the Super Cup it would be a quadruple.

Counting the Super Cup would be like an English Club counting the Charity Shield.  Which of course, they don't.

Whit did Real win this season?

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I know, sorry mate. Needed to pick on someone. 

Sorry pal. Just need to ram it right up someone.

:oohmatron:

7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Ah the old days with the half and half Hearts and Liverpool ski hats

When watching Liverpool win the European Cup I'm pretty sure I took that with me to Paris

I've seen Liverpool win the European Cup live, League cup finals live, attended Milk cup finals etc etc

I have a family connection with the club and do like to go and watch them but I'm born and bred in Edinburgh and my first love is Hearts

I am lucky though that my mum and dad let me stay up late to read some of the posts on here......At their age I just watch it upstairs knowing they can't manage the stairs to tell me off

Rangers mega thread should be suffice.

7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

1. Yes I have.

2. I completely disagree.

What's the problem here? That many of their fans are working class?

Oh - and as a Stoke fan, you're in no position whatsoever to attack any other fanbase. Liverpool fans applaud giantkillers when they're outplayed at Anfield. Stoke fans boo and abuse Aaron Ramsey for the crime of Ryan Shawcross almost ending his career.

Stoke :rofl:

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

1. Yes I have.

2. I completely disagree.

What's the problem here? That many of their fans are working class?

Oh - and as a Stoke fan, you're in no position whatsoever to attack any other fanbase. Liverpool fans applaud giantkillers when they're outplayed at Anfield. Stoke fans boo and abuse Aaron Ramsey for the crime of Ryan Shawcross almost ending his career.

What have Stoke got to do with this ? 

I’m talking about your constant auditions for the Guardian, where you try to attach a political angle to every aspect of football ...and it’s just generalisations based on following football through media, not attending.

So just piss off, Shaun. 

Nookie Bear
38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Stoke :rofl:

I know !

Proper working class football club though, so I can see why the JKB intelligentsia sneers at it, and it’s like. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know !

Proper working class football club though, so I can see why the JKB intelligentsia sneers at it, and it’s like. 

Had you soon for Hearts only, Nooks.

I loved Liverpool when I was a boy, probably because of King Kenny and the rest.

But only Hearts and Scotland now. But I don't mind seeing Caley doing well.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Lot of absolute shite this. You can't have watched that last night and not noticed how good Messi was compared to the rest of the team. Like I said earlier, he's now having to do both xavi and iniesta's job but also be on the receiving end cos he's the only one who can finish. He created numerous chances. 

He did well to create the chance on about 17 minutes but seemed to take the wrong option by flicking it to Coutinho on his left. I felt he might have been more clinical if they hadn't been 3-1 up at the time.

Collectively I was struck by how spooked Barcelona looked when Liverpool scored their third, as if they thought it was beyond them to get one goal back in the remaining half hour.

Mr Elwood P

Messi is the only one that can finish? He’s got Suarez and Coutinho for company. Suarez has scored 131 goals in 163 appearances for Barcelona. Coutinho actually has almost the exact same strike ratio at when he was at Liverpool. 

Messi definitely went missing last night. He had one great chance where he burst into the box and then lost possession as he’d made the wrong choice.

Nights like last night show why Ronaldo is the GOAT. He would have popped up with an away goal to make it 4-1 to take his team through. Messi is brilliant when the game is going Barcelona’s way but when it turns against them, as in Liverpool and Rome, he can’t drag the team through in the same way that Ronaldo can.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Nookie Bear
51 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Had you soon for Hearts only, Nooks.

I loved Liverpool when I was a boy, probably because of King Kenny and the rest.

But only Hearts and Scotland now. But I don't mind seeing Caley doing well.

I am Hearts only. Lawsons just slavering as per 

I’m one of those weirdos that can watch Messi or Ronaldo...and appreciate them both !  Neither a patch on Sergio Ramos though...

Stephane Grappelli
7 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Calm down. 

Ye ragin' mate aye?

Is that why you won't answer the Messi question?

The Internet
25 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Messi is the only one that can finish? He’s got Suarez and Coutinho for company. Suarez has scored 131 goals in 163 appearances for Barcelona. Coutinho actually has almost the exact same strike ratio at when he was at Liverpool. 

Messi definitely went missing last night. He had one great chance where he burst into the box and then lost possession as he’d made the wrong choice.

Nights like last night show why Ronaldo is the GOAT. He would have popped up with an away goal to make it 4-1 to take his team through. Messi is brilliant when the game is going Barcelona’s way but when it turns against them, as in Liverpool and Rome, he can’t drag the team through in the same way that Ronaldo can.

Ronaldo couldn't get Juve past Ajax so not sure that holds up. Messi has dragged barca through these games too many times to count but people only focus on the games barca dared to lose.

Messi had two excellent pin point through balls to put Alba and suarez through on goal, neither of them did anything with it. Then he decided to try and take them on himself and it took about 3 of them to stop him by fouling. He can't do it all himself all the time. Just most of the time. 

Coutinho has been found out massively at barca. I like him but hes just not a good enough replacement for who they've lost. Suarez can still dominate the diddy teams in la liga but he's noticeably slowing at the top level. Rakitic isn't as good as he once was and Arthur is too raw. Messi is carrying the team right now. 

14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am Hearts only. Lawsons just slavering as per 

I’m one of those weirdos that can watch Messi or Ronaldo...and appreciate them both !  Neither a patch on Sergio Ramos though...

It’s bizarre behaviour. (Taking sides)....Boy at my work, aged in mid 50s, jumped down my throat and foamed at the mouth almost instantly when we had a discussion about Ronaldo and Messi. ?

He’s pro-Messi and wouldn’t entertain Ronaldo being “in his league”.

Back in the days of Maradona et al...as a neutral,  you just enjoyed great players. Now you’ve got roasters acting like it’s their own team they’re defending. ?

Really annoyed that I missed Liverpool v Barca last night due to a problem with my BT account. Even though Liverpool is not a team I'd normally watch but I kind of knew last night they'd somehow pull it out the bag. Well done Klopp and his squad.

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Whit did Real win this season?

You're missing the point dear boy, as usual.  Not to worry!

I hate it when any of these billionaire clubs lose.  It's just no' fair.  Hopefully they can spend 15 fortunes in the summer transfer market and restore their fortunes.

I'll certainly be keeping my fingers crossed because right now I'm utterly devastated.

We_are_the_Hearts

The pyros for the team bus arriving. The atmosphere with everyone standing. Take note Budge!

The Treasurer
21 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The pyros for the team bus arriving. The atmosphere with everyone standing. Take note Budge!

You forgot to mention the spending £150m on players.

Take note Budge

tokyowalnut
57 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s bizarre behaviour. (Taking sides)....Boy at my work, aged in mid 50s, jumped down my throat and foamed at the mouth almost instantly when we had a discussion about Ronaldo and Messi. ?

He’s pro-Messi and wouldn’t entertain Ronaldo being “in his league”.

Back in the days of Maradona et al...as a neutral,  you just enjoyed great players. Now you’ve got roasters acting like it’s their own team they’re defending. ?

Exactly where I am, it's funny how up tight people get with the Messi/Ronaldo debate. Just enjoy them both! As for Messi not being as good as everyone says because he lost last night? ? that's one of the best things I've read on here. 

Amazing result, Klopp is such a positive influence, can really see that in his team!

Listening to TalkSport just now, they are DESPERATE for Spurs to go through. Tim Sherwood saying that the Ajax young team won't have faced pressure like this and will likely crumble. Maybe he missed their games against Real and Juve!

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

You forgot to mention the spending £150m on players.

Take note Budge

So because we don;t spend £150m on players the fans can't make a difference. Take it you weren't at the Hearts v Bayern game? Remember the hostile atmosphere that night? Our fans would probably applaud them now

steven_mck
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

default_spoton.png

Mr Elwood P

Ronaldo couldn't get Juve past Ajax so not sure that holds up. Messi has dragged barca through these games too many times to count but people only focus on the games barca dared to lose.

Messi had two excellent pin point through balls to put Alba and suarez through on goal, neither of them did anything with it. Then he decided to try and take them on himself and it took about 3 of them to stop him by fouling. He can't do it all himself all the time. Just most of the time. 

Coutinho has been found out massively at barca. I like him but hes just not a good enough replacement for who they've lost. Suarez can still dominate the diddy teams in la liga but he's noticeably slowing at the top level. Rakitic isn't as good as he once was and Arthur is too raw. Messi is carrying the team right now. 

Ronaldo scored in both legs against Ajax. If Messi had scored in both legs against Liverpool, Barcelona would be through and waiting on the winners of Spurs v Ajax to meet them in Madrid. He also goes missing a lot when playing for Argentina. Great player but on a night like last night, Ronaldo is the man you would want on the pitch next to you. 

Seems to have been a dramatic drop off in the 'Champions League' is boring, predicable etc chat. The last two seasons, especially the knockout phases, have been exceptional. Hopefully the final in Madrid lives up to the final in Kiev last year. The stage is set for Mo Salah to have his moment.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

10 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

They've been talking about the treble as league, Champions League and Copa del Rey.  If they were including the Super Cup it would be a quadruple.

Counting the Super Cup would be like an English Club counting the Charity Shield.  Which of course, they don't.

Rubbish, if you don't mind me saying.

If a club in Scotland or England were to talk abut winning "The Treble" we would immediately think about the domestic treble of League, Cup and League Cup. Why should it be different for clubs in other countries? It just so happens that the League Cup doesn't exist in Spain (it was a very short-lived competition) and they have the Supercopa de España instead.

WageThief
11 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

So because we don;t spend £150m on players the fans can't make a difference. Take it you weren't at the Hearts v Bayern game? Remember the hostile atmosphere that night? Our fans would probably applaud them now

Indeed.  The young team would be delighted to have some of their Munich brethren over.  They'd get arrested in Munich obviously, while claiming it was a 'red hand' salute to commemorate the defence of Rorke's drift.  At least Ernst Zundel is dead so they couldn't invite him along to the game.

AlimOzturk

Liverpool aren't full of world class players. They have the best defender in the world in Van Dyke, Mo Salah and Firminho and the last two were out for this match. They have other excellent players but in comparison to Barcelona who have Messi, Suarez and Coutinho as a front three alone. 

Just shows how great a manager Klopp really is. He has to be the best manager In the world just now

The Internet
13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Ronaldo scored in both legs against Ajax. If Messi had scored in both legs against Liverpool, Barcelona would be through and waiting on the winners of Spurs v Ajax to meet them in Madrid. He also goes missing a lot when playing for Argentina. Great player but on a night like last night, Ronaldo is the man you would want on the pitch next to you.

Ronaldo isn't asked to play as a creative midfielder as well as being the main goalscorer. Plus he scored twice v Ajax, Messi scored twice v Liverpool. Both still went out. I don't like comparing them as they're two of my favourite players ever but Messi is asked to do a lot more than ronaldo for the team. 

Mikey1874
28 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The fans walking out of games and booing players is down to the 'fans' that do it. No-one else. 

karipidis

Shows how bad a team Barcelona are. Messi is on his game they win 3-0. Messi has a quiet night by his standards (still played 2 unbelievable through balls for Alba and Suarez that they should have scored) and they lose 4-0. Hard to do it all. Ronaldo lucky he just gets to get on the end of chances without doing much else, and he still can’t outscore Messi.