• been here before

tartofmidlothian
On 04/09/2018 at 07:22, His name is said:

Uchi update. Current pumping iron getting even stronger. What a man 

Screenshot_20180904-071954.png

Just noticed "Uchegram". :lol:

Edited by tartofmidlothian

• 3 weeks later...

Really interesting part of Levein press conference today where he mentioned that between the end of last season and the beginning of our preseason Uche lost 6kg in weight, due to his own training regime over the summer. 

He knew that he had to get fitter to make the step up, and to be able to press from the front week in week out.

Absolute beast!

30 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Really interesting part of Levein press conference today where he mentioned that between the end of last season and the beginning of our preseason Uche lost 6kg in weight, due to his own training regime over the summer. 

He knew that he had to get fitter to make the step up, and to be able to press from the front week in week out.

Absolute beast!

How bloody big was he before :wow:

8 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

Without him in attack, we pose no threat

we badly need him back for Motherwell 

Or we don't spend 45 minutes pretending he is playing when he aint.

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

That is spot on, jamhammer

We spent the afternoon putting long balls into the box, to no purpose

3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

You really cant argue with any of that. 

I feel we should have brought another striker in when we sold lafferty. We seem a bit light up top. Sow or bringing vanecek in early would have been ideal. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
On 22/09/2018 at 21:15, Paulp74 said:

I feel we should have brought another striker in when we sold lafferty. We seem a bit light up top. Sow or bringing vanecek in early would have been ideal. 

We did wighton  

9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We did wighton  

Levein has always liked to play with a big striker, unfortunately Uche got injured and Vanecek does not arrive until January.

Wighton is no substitute for Uche, he is more a replacement for Naisy or McLean. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
6 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Levein has always liked to play with a big striker, unfortunately Uche got injured and Vanecek does not arrive until January.

Wighton is no substitute for Uche, he is more a replacement for Naisy or McLean. 

Agree they different types of player but the fact is since end of last season we've lost lafferty and signed MacLean, uche and wighton 

45 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Any word on his fitness for tomorrow?

I think CL will keep stume on that until near the KO.

29 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We did wighton  

Very early days for the lad, but he looks lightweight and short of confidence - another Gavin Reilly??

16 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Very early days for the lad, but he looks lightweight and short of confidence - another Gavin Reilly??

Lots more skill than Reilly but maybe needs a confidence boost .

He did well breaking through the middle but his pass was , at best , tentative . Same for the header .

Not any worse than many others on the day though

Just now, johnthomas said:

Lots more skill than Reilly but maybe needs a confidence boost .

He did well breaking through the middle but his pass was , at best , tentative . Same for the header .

Not any worse than many others on the day though

As I said it is early days, but first impressions were not good - TBH I did not see any sign that he has "lots more skill than Reilly".

With respect the outcome of him breaking through was pretty horrendous - he had the option of going himself as he was pretty much in the clear, however his pass was extremely poor.   As for the header, a decent striker finds the target there IMO.

I agree pretty much all the players had a poor day, so hopefully Wightman will prove to be a good signing.

32 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I think CL will keep stume on that until near the KO.

His interview on Twitter was not sounding optomistic for tomorrow. He did say that if he doesn't make tomorrow then he has a chance of making it for Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

As I said it is early days, but first impressions were not good - TBH I did not see any sign that he has "lots more skill than Reilly".

With respect the outcome of him breaking through was pretty horrendous - he had the option of going himself as he was pretty much in the clear, however his pass was extremely poor.   As for the header, a decent striker finds the target there IMO.

I agree pretty much all the players had a poor day, so hopefully Wightman will prove to be a good signing.

Wighton reminded me of Clum circa 2008, looked so low on confidence that he was scared to touch the ball

I'm assuming that his time at Dundee knocked him a bit, much like Souttar at United I would hope that's its just a case of building up his confidence and allowing him some time 

stirlingshirejambo
11 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I have seen highlights in the reserve games and he has looked great.

Up to coaching team to get him to show that in games

I don't think he lacks ability/skills thats for sure

Ministry of Football
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

The few times now I have seen Wighton, he has really not looked good.

The worrying thing is, you simply can't disguise the fact that he doesn't win headers and has no pace. 

More importantly, playing him up front forces Naismith into a deep midfield role, where he is utterly wasted. 

In my opinion Wighton is up there with Amankwaa in terms of ability. 

Not going to criticise Levein for spending cash on him though, as this has been an exceptional window. You can't get them all right. 

Hope he is nowhere near the starting line up tomorrow. 

25 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

His interview on Twitter was not sounding optomistic for tomorrow. He did say that if he doesn't make tomorrow then he has a chance of making it for Saturday.

Really hope CL is playing his cards close to his chest!   IMO a fit Uche is critical to us beating Motherwell.

16 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

The worrying thing is, you simply can't disguise the fact that he doesn't win headers and has no pace. 

More importantly, playing him up front forces Naismith into a deep midfield role, where he is utterly wasted. 

Not going to criticise Levein for spending cash on him though, as this has been an exceptional window. You can't get them all right. 

Sadly I have to agree with this.

23 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

I think Morrison will be starting ahead of him.

19 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Really hope CL is playing his cards close to his chest!   IMO a fit Uche is critical to us beating Motherwell.

Hope so and I totally agree.

36 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

I have paid a bit of attention to the lad as my stepson is one of his pals and I disagree with your post. He has suffered under the last two coaches at Dundee but is regarded by many as having the skills. He needs a bit more tolerance from some on here and will surely be shown that by our coaching staff and I am sure he is keen but with slightly fragile confidence.

43 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

you missed the sarcasm smiley as I assume you are being sarcastic.

I am looking forward to casting this up when Wighton becomes a valuable player for us. 

4 minutes ago, Rents said:

you missed the sarcasm smiley as I assume you are being sarcastic.

I am looking forward to casting this up when Wighton becomes a valuable player for us. 

My first impressions of Wighton were not good........but I very much look forward to being on the receiving end of your cast up!

10 minutes ago, deejtee said:

I have paid a bit of attention to the lad as my stepson is one of his pals and I disagree with your post. He has suffered under the last two coaches at Dundee but is regarded by many as having the skills. He needs a bit more tolerance from some on here and will surely be shown that by our coaching staff and I am sure he is keen but with slightly fragile confidence.

If he has "fragile confidence" was it a good idea to start him against a fired up, physical Livy team??

rather rely on our managers reason for buying him,much more bothered about the total reliance on Uche.We have an excellent pool of players and they will take up the slack should he miss out this game.

12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

My first impressions of Wighton were not good........but I very much look forward to being on the receiving end of your cast up!

Family member was playing for Hibs Reserves against us last Monday - the Hibs boys were apparently bigging up Wighton and how gd he was.

i was there on sat and he was very poor, but he was by no means even close to the only one. Bit early to write him off yet.

Just now, sairyinthat said:

rather rely on our managers reason for buying him,much more bothered about the total reliance on Uche.We have an excellent pool of players and they will take up the slack should he miss out this game.

If we have the players to take up the slack - why are you bothered about total reliance on Uche????

Just now, loveofthegame said:

Family member was playing for Hibs Reserves against us last Monday - the Hibs boys were apparently bigging up Wighton and how gd he was.

i was there on sat and he was very poor, but he was by no means even close to the only one. Bit early to write him off yet.

Don't think anybody is writing him off at present.

I think Levein will have been working hard on tweaking the formation and tactics for games without Uche. Let's be honest he has been reliable so far and there hasn't been any acid test for what happens when he is removed from the game against a tough opponent. 

However, Uche missing made a difference but perhaps the biggest problem was a general under par performance. Too many players failed to hit top form. You can perhaps argue Uche missing held Naismith and McLean back but it doesn't account for a very poor midfield performance which failed to take control of the game and create enough opportunities to score.

That and we had golden opportunities to score and never took them.

To be fair if wighton isn’t good enough after saturdays performance neither is Naismith, Michell and others. I expect Uche would have struggled the same as the rest against Livi.

Edited by jambopilms

8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

If we have the players to take up the slack - why are you bothered about total reliance on Uche????

Mainly because it's unhealthy and causes collective gloom.And we definitely do have the players to take up the slack,you think otherwise your choice.

7 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

To be fair if wighton isn’t good enough after saturdays performance neither is Naismith, Michell and others. 

With respect that is a nonsense comment.  Naismith and Mitchell have already proved they are quality players going by past performances.

Nobody is writing off Wighton after one game, however the facts are that he looked well out of his depth.  Someone has pointed out he is short of confidence after a poor time at Dundee - if that is so then a spell in the reserves to get himself acclimatised at Hearts might not be a bad thing.

Edited by Thomaso