Uche Ikpeazu

tartofmidlothian

I really hope that Levein makes a big deal in the media about the fact that Uche doesn't get his fair share of free-kicks and that refs are quick to give fouls against him when he is simply a big guy standing his ground.  Knowing Levein, he'll pick the right moment in the build up to a big game - maybe Rangers away - to put the ref under the microscope.

I actually wish Uche would argue the case a bit more with refs.  Or get Souttar to do it.  Naismith is in the ref's ear all the time but if the captain has a strong word with the ref after the first free-kick given against him, it might make a difference.

I love his work-rate, his passion, his honesty and obviously his strength and ability to occupy defenders.  We really could do with another option to back him up though as he is often tiring mid way through the second half and he isn't as effective then in his link-up play.  

He said in an interview that Levein told him he needed to shoot more and score more goals.  I hope he has another word and tells him to relax because he is taking on shots when he should be passing at times. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• tartofmidlothian

• BackOfTheNet

• been here before

loveofthegame

Said it on another thread but wow - what a performance. As other posters have said, don't care if he doesn't score if he plays like that.

First half he wins a pen inside 4mins, wins the first header on to Naismith which he plays through to Lee for second, wins header on to Mitchell who hits bar, wins first header again which leads to third goal. And that is just his highlights from the first half, let alone his other play. St Mirren defenders had absolutely no idea how to deal with him, it was as good a CF performance first half as you'll see without scoring. 

Second half I thought he looked a bit too desperate to score but he'd earned that right with his first half performance. 

Some of the ref's decisions were utterly utterly baffling. He is stronger therefore gets punished. Players bounce off him. Hope he never changes his game though. 

He is so so key to the way we play - I'd say along with Souttar and Naismith he is one of our 3 indispensable players. Until Vanecek comes in and proves himself we really need him.

Gareth Southgate should be knocking on this lad's door and begging for him to play for England instead of Nigeria. England need a striker like him and haven't had one in ages. Does he have a Scottish granny?

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

More sinned against than sinner.

Without a shadow of a doubt, unless of course you're a GFA referee! 

38 minutes ago, Barack said:

Watching in the 2nd half; just by the dug-outs late on, where he shielded it, bounced three(I think) off of him, controlled it, shielded again, before him being knocked over, and grabbing the ball in a: "It's my ball and I'm not playing anymore" way...was really funny to see. His body hair has muscle ffs. Ridiculous strength.

:lol:

You forgot the best part of that. We getting the foul and Jackson going ape shit crazy at the ref as if Uche was fouling any one of the 3 players trying to drag him down!

The guys immense!

16 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Appears Scottish refs (surprise surprise) have no idea how to ref him.

Absolutely clueless.

Craig wil have to make public statements pretty soon to explain the tules. In a lighthearted way of course.

There was one in the second half where the Saints player had his arm around Uche's neck in a headlock and hauled him down to the ground like he was in UFC.

Free kick St Mirren. 

migrane_always_sunny.gif

14 hours ago, loveofthegame said:

Said it on another thread but wow - what a performance. As other posters have said, don't care if he doesn't score if he plays like that.

First half he wins a pen inside 4mins, wins the first header on to Naismith which he plays through to Lee for second, wins header on to Mitchell who hits bar, wins first header again which leads to third goal. And that is just his highlights from the first half, let alone his other play. St Mirren defenders had absolutely no idea how to deal with him, it was as good a CF performance first half as you'll see without scoring. 

Second half I thought he looked a bit too desperate to score but he'd earned that right with his first half performance. 

Some of the ref's decisions were utterly utterly baffling. He is stronger therefore gets punished. Players bounce off him. Hope he never changes his game though. 

He is so so key to the way we play - I'd say along with Souttar and Naismith he is one of our 3 indispensable players. Until Vanecek comes in and proves himself we really need him.

Second this. 

He is so much more important than just a goalscorer. 

In Uche we trust lol

queensferryjambo

Uche was devastating in the first half. No goals but involved in everything. Second half he looked dead on his feet late on which IMO showed how much he had put into the game.

Sick of watching him getting the shirt pulled off his back and then him being penalised for a foul.

He is going to be a massive player for us this season. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Just watched the whole game on Alba, and on 47/48 minutes the ball goes back to their goalkeeper and Uche starts to run in, their defender is about 15 yards in front of him and 15 yards to the side.

As Uche gets closer the defender watches him and slams into the front of him to stop him in his tracks, the ball is 20 yards away, the linesman must be looking over as the defender is last man, so must see it?

Yet neither the referee or linesman gave it a second thought!!!!

I felt it was a red card!!!!

So Make Some Noise..

Love the guy but I think we seen his rawness that CL talks of in the second half. Very frustrating on occasions and wanted to do it himself when better options were available. Hopefully we can work on his awareness and link up play in the coming months. 

Edited by So Make Some Noise..

21 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

At one point today he was in an actual headlock and didn't get the foul. Also had his jersey nearly pulled over his head. No foul.

And this was given as a foul to St Mirren...! ?

6780FD83-60FC-4415-B2A2-B9FC5DFE33A9.jpeg

It’s obvious that refs don’t know how to judge what’s happening when Utchy is involved in a tackle. He’s so big and strong players just bounce of him. 

Its also obvious that opposition teams are working on a tactic to mark him. The one I’ve seen in recent games is one defender at the back and another backing into him. To me this is a foul and ignored by the officials either due to ignorance or they think he’s a big lad and the defender needs extra help in playing him.

is it any wonder he’s frustrated. 

Love the fact he occupies 2-3 defenders at a time creating space for other attackers. McLean probably can’t believe his luck playing alongside Uche.

42 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

It’s obvious that refs don’t know how to judge what’s happening when Utchy is involved in a tackle. He’s so big and strong players just bounce of him. 

Its also obvious that opposition teams are working on a tactic to mark him. The one I’ve seen in recent games is one defender at the back and another backing into him. To me this is a foul and ignored by the officials either due to ignorance or they think he’s a big lad and the defender needs extra help in playing him.

is it any wonder he’s frustrated. 

At corner kicks I would like to see him stand on the 18 yard box,honestly think he would be more dangerous there,defenders would be confused and he is refs main observation to blow the whistle for an infringement against him. Obviously not all the time but mix it up a bit.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, So Make Some Noise.. said:

Love the guy but I think we seen his rawness that CL talks of in the second half. Very frustrating on occasions and wanted to do it himself when better options were available. Hopefully we can work on his awareness and link up play in the coming months. 

What on earth are you slavering about? Uche was awesome. His contribution to the goals and general hold up play showed that he is a better forward player than anything we have seen at the club for many years. Only thing missing yesterday was a goal.

highlandjambo3
25 minutes ago, kila said:

DmFC-ZLXoAI-zcE.thumb.jpg.66fb8f679fc6d783ff8836b34b7074bb.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Love this pic.  Uche completely unfazed by the grown man on his back ???

Uche is not aware there is anyone on his back

So Make Some Noise..
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

What on earth are you slavering about? Uche was awesome. His contribution to the goals and general hold up play showed that he is a better forward player than anything we have seen at the club for many years. Only thing missing yesterday was a goal.

Slavering? Sorry mate, not allowed a different opinion to you? See 2 x moments where he could have slipped in Ollie Lee in the second half. See the chance where he took off Wighton. See the sqwaffed effort at goal when Naisy was running through as an option.  That's four big moments where had he taken a second to see what's around him we'd of had a better goal scoring opportunity. As I said, I love the guy however can definitely see why our coaching team continue to talk of him as raw. Most people with a footballing brain do see that too chief. 

Edited by So Make Some Noise..

2 hours ago, hmfcalum said:

seems about par for the course with Uche. gets very little (penalty aside)

We should be seriously looking at adding some years on his contract.  I've seen enough to know he will be a focal point for us for foreseeable future.

The Treasurer

We all know his strength is a huge part of his game but there's much more to him than that.

He has a great first touch and  good close control.

I've said it several times, I think his "assists" will be higher than his goals scored, which is fine by me.

I just wish referees would realise that players bouncing off him doesn't mean it's a foul for the opposition

International break and he's flown to Dubai to train with a well known PT. That's dedication.

This is same guy that Luke Shaw trained with before preseason and he lead most of the stats in the Utd training.

His determination to succeed is so good to see, he's going to go far. 

49 minutes ago, His name is said:

Uchi update. Current pumping iron getting even stronger. What a man 

Screenshot_20180904-071954.png

Uche's not pulling the bar up there, he's pushing the Earth down ??

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:21, So Make Some Noise.. said:

A weakness in some players is their failure to take on responsibility.  With so many new players in the team and playing in a new league, it may take him time to get the balance right.

Overall I have been happy with his contribution so far.

Just been watching his instagram stories the past few days.

He is a dedicated, absolute machine of a man.

Think he has realised that he is on the biggest stage of his career, what a time to have him.

Can’t wait to see him back in action.

Edited by jambo191

7 minutes ago, jambo191 said:

Just been watching his instagram stories the past few days.

He is a dedicated, absolute machine of a man.

Think he has realised that he is on the biggest stage of his career, what a time to have him.

Can’t wait to see him back in action.

Milinkovic done the same. If I had the cash I'd do the same fantastic idea.

29 minutes ago, billbaberton said:

Milinkovic done the same. If I had the cash I'd do the same fantastic idea.

You dont need cash to have an instagram account 

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:20, maroonsgotop said:

seems about par for the course with Uche. gets very little (penalty aside)

Is he having his arm for a snack mid game?

Feed the Beast

2 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

You dont need cash to have an instagram account 

Travelling to Dubai or whereever he may be for extra work with a PT obviously.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:03, hmfcalum said:

Uche is having a mid game snack of arm there is he no?

Feed the beast

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, His name is said:

Uchi update. Current pumping iron getting even stronger. What a man 

Screenshot_20180904-071954.png

Did he eat them once he was finished?

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:03, hmfcalum said:

Just about blew another gasket with that decision!!!  Hauled to the ground and throttled at the same time!!!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Dunked them in a protein shake first.

And garnished with an oil drum of habaneros