Sean Clare signs 3 year deal ( updated )

El Diez

alwaysthereinspirit
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Jordan Rhodes :lol:

So good and worth so much they loaned him out. Eeh by gum.

What is in the water down there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Bazzas right boot

• Deviskan

• Beast Boy

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Jordan Rhodes :lol:

???

First Luton now Shwednesday, fans of these no-mark teams think they are Chelsea / Man City level clubs 

We aren’t just any pub side we are an absolute top top pub side Hearts. Huge draw for players. 

30 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I read most of the red tops on the Clare signing and while the interest of other EPL clubs was mentioned there was no reference to him being a target of Steve Gerrard's Rangers as previously stated in the Record.

Nevertheless, the Record still manages to mention Kyle Lafferty in its piece on Clare, obviously as a sop to its bluenose readership.

The Sun

And he has now joined up with Craig Levein’s league leaders at Riccarton in a bid to win a deal.

Levein and Rangers boss Steven Gerrard were both keen on landing Clare during the close season.

But despite holding talks at the time the clubs were unable to reach an agreement with the playmaker.

8 minutes ago, scabber said:

Yip the mystery player is none other than Jordan Rhodes ???

Who was also alleged to be a signing target for us on here. I presume half of the city of Sheffield would've spontaneously combusted if that had actually happened? ? ? 

4 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Who was also alleged to be a signing target for us on here. I presume half of the city of Sheffield would've spontaneously combusted if that had actually happened? ? ? 

That would be the full monty. :whistling:

I was at the Hull vs Ipswich game at the weekend. Granted neither team will be challenging at the top end but the standard was absolutely dire. The former Ross Co player Jackson Irvine came on for Hull for the final 20 minutes and looked the best player on the pitch - scored the second goal for Hull.

Neither team could put 3 passes together and the ball spent most the game in the air or out of the park. If the drip down of SKY money to the Championship was to dry up we could easily compete for signing players that such teams sign. 

The other thing that came to mind is that Hull averaged over 20k crowds in the PL a couple of seasons ago while they are now down to around 12k. Like a lot of top flight sides a significant number of their 'fans' are only there to see the world class players playing for the big teams and a season ticket is the only way to guarantee a seat - they're not really there to watch the home team. Hence when they are relegated these 'fans' vanish and the crowds drop sharply.

The elitist EPL attitude and Sky Sports influenced hype has slowly filtered through to all the divisions and their clubs supporters. Year after year their heads are filled with shite.

On a Hibs level of delusion. 

Edited by Debut 4

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The elitist EPL attitude and Sky Sports influenced hype has slowly filtered through to all the divisions and their clubs supporters. Year after year their heads are filled with shite.

On a Hibs level of delusion. 

yep, they have ex-Scotland players Steven Fletcher, Barry Bannan and Jordan Rhodes whereas we have current Scotland players Steven Naismith and John Souttar...?

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Ultimately the fact is Sheffield Wednesday are named after everyone’s second least favourite day of the week after Monday. 

If they were Sheffield Friday maybe their fans would have a bit better banter. As it is, they are as depressing as a Wednesday morning.

The Hibs of Sheffield. 

Sheffield Bank Holiday Weekend and the fans would be delirious

1 hour ago, skinnybob72 said:

I was at the Hull vs Ipswich game at the weekend. Granted neither team will be challenging at the top end but the standard was absolutely dire. The former Ross Co player Jackson Irvine came on for Hull for the final 20 minutes and looked the best player on the pitch - scored the second goal for Hull.

Neither team could put 3 passes together and the ball spent most the game in the air or out of the park. If the drip down of SKY money to the Championship was to dry up we could easily compete for signing players that such teams sign. 

The other thing that came to mind is that Hull averaged over 20k crowds in the PL a couple of seasons ago while they are now down to around 12k. Like a lot of top flight sides a significant number of their 'fans' are only there to see the world class players playing for the big teams and a season ticket is the only way to guarantee a seat - they're not really there to watch the home team. Hence when they are relegated these 'fans' vanish and the crowds drop sharply.

To be fair, most teams’ gates drop after they get relegated. It doesn’t mean that the people who stop coming don’t really support the club, but there will always be more demand when you’re playing against top players in a more glitzy league.

12 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

To be fair, most teams’ gates drop after they get relegated. It doesn’t mean that the people who stop coming don’t really support the club, but there will always be more demand when you’re playing against top players in a more glitzy league.

Not ours - ours rose when we got relegated! But then, we're a special club with exceptional fans!:greggy::sheen::gfy:

jamboinglasgow
57 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

yep, they have ex-Scotland players Steven Fletcher, Barry Bannan and Jordan Rhodes whereas we have current Scotland players Steven Naismith and John Souttar...?

To be fair its a point. A lot of these Championship Scottish players dropping off from playing national football. I had a look at the recent Scotland squad and ones who have been in the squad in the last year and it surprised me to see that its been a year since S Fletcher, Martin, Bannan and Anya have been in a Scotland squad. Rhodes has been a long time. And I dont think we have missed these players. I was looking at which ones from the Championship I would want in the squad and was surprised how few, McBurnie, Douglas, Phillips, McGinn and 1 goalkeeper of Marshal or Archer. Of those 3 of them should be Premier league players and are not either due to relegation or been unlucky with transfers. I think the Scottish Premiership is generating the talented Scotland players. Be it the Celtic players, centre backs of McKenna and Souttar, or other up and coming players mixed with experienced veterans who have come back.

The lower leagues of English football have more money running around it reminds me of a quote from an anonymous EPL chairman when they the biggest tv deal was announced. He said the increase in money in the game when they are way above every other league in financial clout is that players who are pretty average get bigger pay deals for no improvement to the game. I see that with the lower leagues of England. There is more money sloshing around than in Scotland, but they still spend it on large squads of average players because they have not changed the way the games played. Mix in with the Championship which due to having 46 game season (49 if you get into the play-off final) and you have clubs with massive squads. I had a look at Sheffield Wednesday yesterday and found that their squad (according to wikipedia) is 35. So they have massive squads, constantly change teams except for a few star players, then are surprised why a young player might want to move to get a chance to play regularly.

The championship does have some good football and players, but they are usually at teams in the top 6 who have overspent to chase the goal of the premier league. The Scottish Premiership is more interesting and quite frankly fun.

17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To be fair its a point. A lot of these Championship Scottish players dropping off from playing national football. I had a look at the recent Scotland squad and ones who have been in the squad in the last year and it surprised me to see that its been a year since S Fletcher, Martin, Bannan and Anya have been in a Scotland squad. Rhodes has been a long time. And I dont think we have missed these players. I was looking at which ones from the Championship I would want in the squad and was surprised how few, McBurnie, Douglas, Phillips, McGinn and 1 goalkeeper of Marshal or Archer. Of those 3 of them should be Premier league players and are not either due to relegation or been unlucky with transfers. I think the Scottish Premiership is generating the talented Scotland players. Be it the Celtic players, centre backs of McKenna and Souttar, or other up and coming players mixed with experienced veterans who have come back.

The lower leagues of English football have more money running around it reminds me of a quote from an anonymous EPL chairman when they the biggest tv deal was announced. He said the increase in money in the game when they are way above every other league in financial clout is that players who are pretty average get bigger pay deals for no improvement to the game. I see that with the lower leagues of England. There is more money sloshing around than in Scotland, but they still spend it on large squads of average players because they have not changed the way the games played. Mix in with the Championship which due to having 46 game season (49 if you get into the play-off final) and you have clubs with massive squads. I had a look at Sheffield Wednesday yesterday and found that their squad (according to wikipedia) is 35. So they have massive squads, constantly change teams except for a few star players, then are surprised why a young player might want to move to get a chance to play regularly.

The championship does have some good football and players, but they are usually at teams in the top 6 who have overspent to chase the goal of the premier league. The Scottish Premiership is more interesting and quite frankly fun.

Yes there is a lot of mid-table mediocrity in all English leagues. Is 20-22 clubs too many? In the Premiership there is maybe one Europa Cup slot up for grabs outside of the "big 6" - this year it went to Burnley, well they struggled past Aberdeen, so for Championship teams' fans to be knocking the Scottish Premiership is really rather laughable... Other than the 4 or so clubs who spend the last few months chasing that 7th place EC place,  you have a few clubs doing pretty much nothing apart from ensuring they get the magical 40 points and then every other team is desperately sacking managers and trying to find a way of avoiding the relegation places...

In the Championship you usually have 1 or 2 at the top getting automatic promotion, 6 more chasing the 4 play-off spots and then a long line of clubs doing nothing at all, as the relegation is often sown up by financial basket cases...

Is the English game healthy? I don't think so. I think it is bloated on Sky money and ambitions that are stunted by November...Roll on next June when the Sky cheques come in and more overpaid, water-treading players can be signed up.

Edited by Spellczech

The English game is so far removed from the actual ethics of the game it’s ridiculous. 

the top league here is looking to be the best in a long long time. 

Jamboinglasgow makes great points

Voice of reason
On 16/09/2018 at 18:21, Bauld said:

Sheff Wed fans aren't too bothered and have written him off now that he has left them.

Funny thing is though they said something much different earlier this year before he got injured and refused to sign their contract. 

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/268906-sean-clare/?tab=comments#comment-7976143

Some good compliments in there. Sounds like an exciting signing.

Edited by Voice of reason

Can’t say I’m too bothered about the pissing contest that’s going on just now.

The more important stuff is can he play straight away, I know he’s been injured?

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

The more important stuff is can he play straight away, I know he’s been injured?

Ye he says he feels good in his interview. But will need to work his way into the team, Levein keeping him on his toes obviously and that's good management 

8 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

pissing contest is a strange terminology  .... for anything

AlphonseCapone
19 minutes ago, geomac said:

pissing contest is a strange terminology  .... for anything

What about for an actual contest involving pissing? 

jamboinglasgow
52 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Some good compliments in there. Sounds like an exciting signing.

read through that thread and they are raving about him (though I take that with a pinch of salt when a young player has a good game, fans can often (and I include myself in that) can over celebrate them.) But certainly talented. (I know I shouldn't but I did laugh when a guy posted that they should keep Clare and Hirst on long term contracts and that they will sell them for millions to help get the club financially under control. Que 7 months later and Hirst went to Belgium for £100k and Clare signs for us for £100k.)

I then decided to see the thread about him signing for us and found 16 pages since Saturday with all these same fans claiming he was never that good anyway, good riddance etc. Had to laugh at guy who said he would be scared to live in Scotland, seriously?

They have access to more money due to being in England. That's about all you can say for them.

They are a lower league side with no chance of winning anything.

Sheffield is a grim city with little going for it.

Their star player is Barry Bannan and Steven Fletcher gets game time for them. :laugh:

Some of their comments are hilarious and just highlight the level of ignorance and smugness that is commonplace among English no-mark teams with little hope for the future.

Stephen Muddie
On 16/09/2018 at 18:12, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

"Great catch for a small club like Hearts though, probably the best player they have ever signed - exciting times for their fans. Helps them try to close the huge gulf between them and Rangers to catch them up in terms of quality."

Sheffield fans are a bit dim are they not !

If all they have to go on is the UK media's poor coverage of and attitude towards our game or, heaven forbid, they have been reading the likes of BBC Glasgow/watching selective sportscene highlights which deliberately rubbish the very thing they're meant to be promoting, well, I don't really blame them.

I think a wee friendly is in order. I reckon we'd pump them silly.

The money down their (coupled with many’s feeling of superiority) clouds their judgement and the majority have little or no interest in anything outside their own bubble.

kind of like the coming home malarkey in the World Cup this year.

one of the reasons that I do not pay anything for sky sports. 

7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Ye he says he feels good in his interview. But will need to work his way into the team, Levein keeping him on his toes obviously and that's good management 

Thanks mate. Yeah I think that’s the best way to go about it. Will hopefully see him pushing off the bench in the next couple of games. 

Hmmn. Prescient. Can see why they are hurting...I have some sympathy for the Wednesday fans who didn't contribute to the thread lambasting him and Hearts...

image.thumb.png.406ffe9ec2c5711a3b8f8ecb4aa2687d.png

That's what I like to hear...can we win it, WHY NOT!...If there was ever the opportunity, it is now. Rangers haven't impressed me, Celtic are as weak as I can remember seeing them in the last 10 years, Hibs weaker, Aberdeen weaker...we CAN do it...

I was at Riccarton on Monday around 3pm, picking my Grandson up from box soccer, and as we left Sean Clare was following us out. He is a big guy, and was happy to pose for a photo with my Granddaughter and Grandson. Behind us a bit of a queue had formed, but he seemed genuinely pleased to pose with all of the kids.

1 minute ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

Anyone know anything about the polo shirt he's wearing in today's interview 

It’s mint.

21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Has had foot surgery but says he's ready to play on Saturday 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45565948

"I did my homework on all the clubs that were interested in me and this club rose to the top."

Great job done by the management here I think! Involve this lad in the recruitment process and we'll get the next Ronaldo and Messi!

Edited by Spellczech

12 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Thanks mate. Yeah I think that’s the best way to go about it. Will hopefully see him pushing off the bench in the next couple of games. 

Could be wrong but looked a bit short on sharpness at training today.  Not saying he won't be on the bench but won't start imo.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Could be wrong but looked a bit short on sharpness at training today.  Not saying he won't be on the bench but won't start imo.

Like Wighton will get 15 minutes at the end when we go 4 up

19 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

read through that thread and they are raving about him (though I take that with a pinch of salt when a young player has a good game, fans can often (and I include myself in that) can over celebrate them.) But certainly talented. (I know I shouldn't but I did laugh when a guy posted that they should keep Clare and Hirst on long term contracts and that they will sell them for millions to help get the club financially under control. Que 7 months later and Hirst went to Belgium for £100k and Clare signs for us for £100k.)

I then decided to see the thread about him signing for us and found 16 pages since Saturday with all these same fans claiming he was never that good anyway, good riddance etc. Had to laugh at guy who said he would be scared to live in Scotland, seriously?

Lol. West and South Yorkshire can be scary places at times. Ambulances and police cars scream up and down the Headrow in Leeds every few minutes. It can be murder trying to sleep with that racquet going on.

55 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Yeah I think it would be wrong to drop anyone whose started the season for Clare just yet, until he’s up to speed.

I felt Djoum was a bit poor until the game opened up later on and feel Bozanic was a little hard done by to not get on sooner. Was surprised when we took Lee off first but felt Djoum pushed on after that.

7 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Yeah I think it would be wrong to drop anyone whose started the season for Clare just yet, until he’s up to speed.

I felt Djoum was a bit poor until the game opened up later on and feel Bozanic was a little hard done by to not get on sooner. Was surprised when we took Lee off first but felt Djoum pushed on after that.

The game on saturday will have done wonders for Djoum’s match fitness. Clare will take a few games to get match sharp too. Hopefully they are both firing by the time we go to Ibrox.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

He’s not played a game in 6 months......he’s going to take a long time for him to catch up with the match sharpness of most of his teammates. 

1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Lol. West and South Yorkshire can be scary places at times. Ambulances and police cars scream up and down the Headrow in Leeds every few minutes. It can be murder trying to sleep with that racquet going on.

You can not be serious?