The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

29 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Yeah noticing that now! Would be better if it blocked quotes as well.

Easier to just pretend there was no lie than apologise for it going by the track record.

I honestly think the guy has severe emotional issues...

9 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Maybe worst of all is the way you think you can magically understand and somehow speak for other football fans. You can't. You only speak for yourself.

The above statement has literally zoomed at mach 10 into a whole new category of ironic...mind boggling stuff, how someone can be so completely and utterly self-unaware.

Coming from a man, that appears to believe he can tell people from Scotland about the Scottish psyche...and how we all feel about things (because he's visited Scotland once...and has many, many Scottish 'friends' - i.e. people he speaks to online).

A man, that tells us all he bleeds maroon...and presumes to tell us all about what it means to be a Hearts fan, and how Hearts fans feel about stuff...because he's visited Tynecastle once, and has many, many Hearts 'friends' - i.e. people he speaks to online).

I honestly believe that if Shaun is actually in Uruguay...he's probably a member of a Uruguay fans forum, and will be telling them all what it means to be a Uruguay fan...and how they all don't really dislike Argentina at all...online obviously, rather than actually venture into the world and speak to people face to face (mind you, that would take more eyesight re-adjustment than the Thai kids that have just came out of a cave after a week...Shaun's been hiding in one for a few years now!). 

Little pointer Shaun...you will never, know what the two things above mean simply by reading stuff online...and 99% of the people on this forum are indisputably more qualified to tell you about them (as we have/continue to actually live and breathe them).

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

32 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This has become a bit of a recurring theme on a number of threads recently. A number of posters seem quite keen to seemingly score points over the English by conclusively proving that football definitely didn't originate in England.

A brief glance at history books shows that the modern game developed simultaneously around the British Isles and beyond, so I don't think any single country can claim to have "invented" football.

The thing is, much of the world credits England with being the home of football simply because England had the first national association, and the first large scale organised league.

I'm not trying to score points here, I'm just trying to highlight the simple facts that give rise to the idea.

My own view is that the whole of these islands can take much of the credit for the modern game. As an Englishman supporting a Scottish club, I'm happy with that.

"It's coming come" is simply a catchy lyric to a song. Let's not worry about it.

But where i disagree is your last paragraph. It isnt just a catchy lyric. England think its their game.

They market that idea fantastically to the extent the Epl has become the biggest league in the world in large part due to this romantic notion of being home to football and the game being played traditionally/properly, which we know none of which is fully true.

Understand that this is as much a swipe at our SFA for not managing to do the same or even try to in marketing our game, even though the same could easily be said.

Its a bigger marketing tool than people realise. Forget the song, the notion runs through the heart of English football.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The World Cup final was last night. Easily the 2 best teams

It’s coming home man

The concept that posters on this site are knowledgable and impartial is like saying the Orange Lodge is a charity for poor Catholics. Like the majority of real Scots, and not the flag waving Unionists,  I hope England get stuffed. 

58 minutes ago, Barack said:

The inner monologue of JKB posters:

"Ah, another sunny day outside. I'll have a little check on JKB, I think. Hello, what's this? The coming home thread's moved on a bit. I wonder what's prompted...oh, right. Should've known..."

Ha !

Indeed, mate. 

Elementary, my dear Watson !

1 minute ago, Crete said:

Good luck England from most non bitter Scotland fans.

I'm not bitter, i've got good money on Croatia winning this whole sharabang so **** England.

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, Crete said:

Good luck England from most non bitter Scotland fans.

It's called rivalry. Were you a non bitter Hearts fan wanting Hibs to win the cup?

Sexton Hardcastle

The tea towel waving Rangers sympathisers are brutally cringey on here and twitter. We know you voted No. we know you support brexit. Support England lads and be banter merchants.

INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874
22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Breakfast tv into overdrive and mass hysteria this morning.   Shearer on TV just now almost crying.  Its delusional madness which one sees in those nutty religious sects  who have a charming / influential leader a la Jim Jones.  We all know how these sects end "!!!! Not advocating mass suicide but I am hoping they get a walloping from Croatia .  Currently stating that if Southgate ran for Prime Minister then he would be elected !! And please stop saying " the nation" its the only time I prefer national tv presenters to actually use the words " England" Its the " English nation"   Scotland don't give a flying ****  well a massive majority. If they lose no doubt being the sore losers they are everything will go pear shape....Fights in Moscow against the hard ultras and riots in England.   Delicious. 

Turned off breakfast tv this morning both sides were so full of patronising puke it was embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

It's called rivalry. Were you a non bitter Hearts fan wanting Hibs to win the cup?

I wouldn’t go that far Hearts are my team.

We_are_the_Hearts
4 minutes ago, Crete said:

A bitter Hearts fans going by your logic though

The English media are doing a wonderful campaign for Scottish Independence. 

We should oblige them at the first opportunity imo

We_are_the_Hearts
10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The English media are doing a wonderful campaign for Scottish Independence. 

We should oblige them at the first opportunity imo

Politics and religion don't belong in Football

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Politics and religion don't belong in Football

Try telling the Glasgow media then.

et_bigger.pngThe Evening TimesVerified account @TheEveningTimes
FollowFollow @TheEveningTimes
More

Which garment links Gareth Southgate and William of Orange?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

This has become a bit of a recurring theme on a number of threads recently. A number of posters seem quite keen to seemingly score points over the English by conclusively proving that football definitely didn't originate in England.

A brief glance at history books shows that the modern game developed simultaneously around the British Isles and beyond, so I don't think any single country can claim to have "invented" football.

The thing is, much of the world credits England with being the home of football simply because England had the first national association, and the first large scale organised league.

I'm not trying to score points here, I'm just trying to highlight the simple facts that give rise to the idea.

My own view is that the whole of these islands can take much of the credit for the modern game. As an Englishman supporting a Scottish club, I'm happy with that.

"It's coming come" is simply a catchy lyric to a song. Let's not worry about it.

Is it safe to say Long Bangers and Hot Ass were invented in Scotland? 

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Well it's not coming home, as France are winning the tournament.

BD4B127A-7A0E-41D8-B3BC-0BCB63BA497B.thumb.jpeg.d985211714c94ca8fbe090cf404b69ae.jpeg

:smugger:

7 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Try telling the Glasgow media then.

et_bigger.pngThe Evening TimesVerified account @TheEveningTimes
FollowFollow @TheEveningTimes
More

Which garment links Gareth Southgate and William of Orange?

FFS. I thought that was fake....talk about pandering to lowest common denominator. That's embarrassing. Can you imagine an English paper doing this?

6 minutes ago, King prawn said:

BD4B127A-7A0E-41D8-B3BC-0BCB63BA497B.thumb.jpeg.d985211714c94ca8fbe090cf404b69ae.jpeg

:smugger:

Forgot i'd entered that! can you link to the site?

I also have France winning the tournament.

and £30 at 12/1 :)

Alex Kintner
4 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I'm sure I heard somebody on the box last night referring to 'Waistcoat Wednesday' geezo what next, Southgate Sunday?

Tears and snotters Thursday would be lovely :)

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

:lol:

The Real Maroonblood
53 minutes ago, Crete said:

Well act like it.

132goals1958
11 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I thought old age was supposed to bring tranquility and wisdom, Colin? Not in your case, it seems.

"Oh no! They're getting excited that their team is still in the World Cup! HOW DARE THEY? No other country gets excited about their team reaching a semi-final. So arrogant, the English. I'm such a victim having the endless misfortune of living next door to them. Nothing can compare with what I've had to suffer. Having to listen to English football pundits is a whole different level of pain from war in Syria or parents separated from their kids in the US. Woe is me. Will someone save me from this hell?"

Here's the thing about... oh sod it, I'll say it, 1966. It says that we're shit. England have reached one major tournament final ever. And none overseas. That's despite us being a football-crazy nation of fifty plus million. Over the last 20 years, every major footballing nation in Western Europe has either won something (in France and Spain's cases, several things), or reached a final. France, indeed, have now reached 5 finals in that time, an amazing record. The odd man out? England. Our record is pathetic.

If I were Scottish, if I ever heard the words "nineteen sixty-six", I'd laugh. Because it's just like if Hibs fans reminisced or boasted about 1902 prior to two years ago. It's a massive millstone around the England football team's necks. But you, being you, actually get offended by it regardless. Embarrassing doesn't even begin to cover it.

Tomorrow night, we'll try and make history. Just reaching our first major final overseas ever would be cause for massive celebration. Maybe we will, maybe we won't; I think it'll be taut, tense, and I'm worried about the referee who's been chosen. But beyond that, I, like most of my compatriots, will take simple pride and joy from how well this team's done, how humble and gracious it's been, and how wonderful the manager is. Whether we win or lose, bitterness is not part of my makeup. Unlike a good number of people on here.

Shockingly ageist comment even if the recipient will treat it with the contempt it deserves.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

What is this strawman? I don't expect a single Scot to support England or be happy about England's progress. What continues to amaze me is the level of bitterness England's progress leads to among some Scots. 

If Scotland were in a World Cup semi/quarter/2nd round/1st round game, do you seriously think England fans would sit around desperate with every bone in our bodies for you to lose? Life's too short. 

Ireland and England also have a history beyond football. The RTE coverage has been very complimentary towards England and Eamon Dunphy wants us (and stupidly, is even tipping us) to win it.

Why is that? Does he 'just not get it', or something?

See above. This 'rivalry' is so one way, it's unbelievable. It's even worse than Hibs. 

I'm sorry - what? Your very post was in response to a comment from me which stated, because it's bloody obvious, that our record in international football is pathetic. I have no "you should be happy for us" view at all. I do have a viewpoint of: "The level of desperation for England to lose is one of the saddest, most embarrassing things I've ever seen. And I'm proud whatever happens now".

If we lose tomorrow, watch how everyone assumes that I'll be crying "bitter, salty tears". Nope. I'm absolutely delighted by how we've done, and at no point have ever believed we'd win the tournament. For me, tomorrow is just the difference between an excellent World Cup and a magnificent World Cup for England. 

I'm sorry, but :rofl:

No poster on here complains more incessantly about the media than you. Whether it's about England, or about Hearts. And you never, ever give it the benefit of the doubt on anything. You're one of the most easily offended posters on here. And always have been.

Not half as ironic as it'd be if you made it. You actually become incandescent with rage whenever anyone says they don't hate Hibs or England as much as you do. It's quite weird, tbh.

You know who my all time footballing hero is? Sir Bobby Robson. I guess that must be because I 'just don't get it'... :whistling: 

Aye the MSM is a great gauge of how a football fan feels.... You really that out of touch. 

Another view from Ireland. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1911824928861443&id=326062780771007

Some Scottish folk want England to win it, that's fine but don't expect all to. 

The rivalry is mostly one way as it goes beyond football. 

Also, I have heard England fans at a non scottish game singing about Scotland, so on a football, tribal  level it is not only one way. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

"It's a one way rivalry, England fans don't care about Scotland."

England fans singing during the Panama game: "Are you Scotland in disguise?"

France Croatia final. Said it for ages.  

Hope england win though because the football coverage has been class. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

But where i disagree is your last paragraph. It isnt just a catchy lyric. England think its their game.

But it isis just a catchy song lyric. Most of us were around when it was written by a handful of Englishmen who were excited at the prospect of their home country hosting a major international tournament which want even the world cup. 

It's a song lyric and needn't be taken literally. I know for a scientific fact that Lionel Richie has not and cannot dance on the ceiling. 

Folk using it now are not claiming anything about a rightful place for the trophy or anything like that. There's a catchy football anthem; England have done better than expected. That's it. Nothing deep; no outrageous, imperialist or colonialist claims. Just a fecking song. 

And I speak as someone who has been getting trolled with that song daily by people who assume that, as a Scot, I want England to lose and don't understand that I really won't mind if they win. 

10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

But it isis just a catchy song lyric. Most of us were around when it was written by a handful of Englishmen who were excited at the prospect of their home country hosting a major international tournament which want even the world cup. 

It's a song lyric and needn't be taken literally. I know for a scientific fact that Lionel Richie has not and cannot dance on the ceiling. 

Folk using it now are not claiming anything about a rightful place for the trophy or anything like that. There's a catchy football anthem; England have done better than expected. That's it. Nothing deep; no outrageous, imperialist or colonialist claims. Just a fecking song. 

And I speak as someone who has been getting trolled with that song daily by people who assume that, as a Scot, I want England to lose and don't understand that I really won't mind if they win. 

I think, given the huge advances in technology, Lionel Ritchie could, very well, dance on any ceiling he fancies !

Guest Paul Allen

In the early rounds I was indifferent to whether England won or not, but if forced to pick I preferred them to win because it made watching on TV more interesting as a neutral (and I have more affinity with our neighbours than a random country like Tunisia or Colombia).

However, now they’re one game from the final, do I want them to win tonight? ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOO DANGER!

Come on Croatia!! ???

Edited by Paul Allen

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Guys, apologies. My post above was too much. It's just England anxiety, but it's making me way too highly strung.

I'll stay off here today, and return after we know our semi-final fate. 

:toasting: 

It's good to see folk getting excited, I wish it was Scotland.

But, I would advise not expect the same amount of support, enthusiasm etc:    across the whole  board!

Do Uruguay support the likes of Argentina/ Brazil Columbia over other teams? Genuine question, as I know Brazil/ Argentina like to see each other humped in football.

I reckon you'll win tonight as well, it won't make me sad or angry... just disappointed.:laugh:

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Paul Allen said:

WTF is that all about?! I had to stop watching when he said something about Oliver Cromwell from the 17th Century. Absolutely tragic to come out what that sort of shite imo. :lol: 

It is, but just countering the claim that Emmon ( sp) ****ing Holmes speaks for Ireland...….

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

"It's a one way rivalry, England fans don't care about Scotland."

England fans singing during the Panama game: "Are you Scotland in disguise?"

Yip, they do it all the time.

It is also funny.

18Jambo_dave74

I understand that people have varying views on this kind of thing but for me it's pretty simple. 

I want England to lose tonight and want them to lose every single game they play - I'd hate it if they won the world cup. Just like I wanted Celtic to lose in Europe last night and I want Celtic, Rangers and Hibs to lose every time they play (unless it benefits Hearts). 

From my perspective, I actually really like Southgate and I think the squad of players England have seem like decent guys which has worked to their advantage as they don't have the ego's of the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Rooney etc despite perhaps not being as talented. As many others have said, it's the media that make them so dislikeable. I don't for one minute blame them for getting excited, its quite right that they should be but the problem is the fact that we share television/media. From the very start of the tournament, no matter the match, pre match/ half time analysis etc is being interrupted so that Gabby Logan can ask Trippier what his favourite colour is or Maguire how big his head is. We also get foreign pundits (Klinsmann, Fabregas, Bilic etc) being interrogated on all things England. I'd have less of a problem with all of this if I thought for one second that Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland would receive the same treatment as we know that wouldn't be the case. In fact I'm sure I saw on twitter that someone dug out copies of the national papers front and back pages from Wales run to semis of the Euros 2 years ago and there was barely a mention. 

I totally accept the English point of view that Scotland aren't rivals and so they don't see us as that. Fair enough,  Scotland fans don't need to be reminded how far we've fallen but should we ever qualify for a major tournament I don't think any Scots would expect support from English fans - why should they support us, or even care. The arrogance of the English media and pundits also stems from their views and comments about Scottish football in general. Again, nobody would claim Scottish football is as good or big as English football but there seems to be a constant need from south of the border to belittle our game for no apparent reason. A little bit of humility from the likes of Gary Lineker - who I'm sure the BBC give more money to then they do to the entirety of Scottish football - wouldn't go amiss when discussing Scottish football. 

54 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Did you read my post? Dorry to ask but im saying im not talking about the song (the lyrics of which were written because of that ownership of football mentality they have by the way).

I quite like the song. I definitely lije Baddiel and Skinner. I like they love England. They should. And they should rightly be shiting with excitement right now. I’m very jealous and most definitely have wee man syndrome!!!

BUT I’m talking about the entire basis of the glorious English game which has been marketed for decades, well before 96 and the song on being the home of football. Its clever and the world has bought it but like most ethos in large commercial business, it is pure rhetoric. You hear it almost every time you watch England or an Epl game, the talk about football being played as it should and straight claims to be the keepers of the game (tgese foreigners taking the game we invented and doing it wrong with their diving and imaginary yellow card waving, while their players look for contact and have quiet words with refs!!).

Its sickly, but its maybe less obviously a pure marketing mechanism than i realised.

And I’ll state again, I’m jealous cos Scotland could have and should have built something similar at the end of the 80s using similar (and more valid imo) shtick.

Hope ive managed to explain myself. Its a bugbear of mine but I haven’t worded it well on here thus far!!!!

As it is, im sitting in Provence on hols, with the masochist bit of me wanting a France England final so i can really get torn into it on Sunday with the locals!!!

14 minutes ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

I understand that people have varying views on this kind of thing but for me it's pretty simple. 

I want England to lose tonight and want them to lose every single game they play - I'd hate it if they won the world cup. Just like I wanted Celtic to lose in Europe last night and I want Celtic, Rangers and Hibs to lose every time they play (unless it benefits Hearts). 

From my perspective, I actually really like Southgate and I think the squad of players England have seem like decent guys which has worked to their advantage as they don't have the ego's of the likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Rooney etc despite perhaps not being as talented. As many others have said, it's the media that make them so dislikeable. I don't for one minute blame them for getting excited, its quite right that they should be but the problem is the fact that we share television/media. From the very start of the tournament, no matter the match, pre match/ half time analysis etc is being interrupted so that Gabby Logan can ask Trippier what his favourite colour is or Maguire how big his head is. We also get foreign pundits (Klinsmann, Fabregas, Bilic etc) being interrogated on all things England. I'd have less of a problem with all of this if I thought for one second that Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland would receive the same treatment as we know that wouldn't be the case. In fact I'm sure I saw on twitter that someone dug out copies of the national papers front and back pages from Wales run to semis of the Euros 2 years ago and there was barely a mention. 

I totally accept the English point of view that Scotland aren't rivals and so they don't see us as that. Fair enough,  Scotland fans don't need to be reminded how far we've fallen but should we ever qualify for a major tournament I don't think any Scots would expect support from English fans - why should they support us, or even care. The arrogance of the English media and pundits also stems from their views and comments about Scottish football in general. Again, nobody would claim Scottish football is as good or big as English football but there seems to be a constant need from south of the border to belittle our game for no apparent reason. A little bit of humility from the likes of Gary Lineker - who I'm sure the BBC give more money to then they do to the entirety of Scottish football - wouldn't go amiss when discussing Scottish football. 

Spot on for my views too bud

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Did you read my post? Dorry to ask but im saying im not talking about the song (the lyrics of which were written because of that ownership of football mentality they have by the way).

I quite like the song. I definitely lije Baddiel and Skinner. I like they love England. They should. And they should rightly be shiting with excitement right now. I’m very jealous and most definitely have wee man syndrome!!!

BUT I’m talking about the entire basis of the glorious English game which has been marketed for decades, well before 96 and the song on being the home of football. Its clever and the world has bought it but like most ethos in large commercial business, it is pure rhetoric. You hear it almost every time you watch England or an Epl game, the talk about football being played as it should and straight claims to be the keepers of the game (tgese foreigners taking the game we invented and doing it wrong with their diving and imaginary yellow card waving, while their players look for contact and have quiet words with refs!!).

Its sickly, but its maybe less obviously a pure marketing mechanism than i realised.

And I’ll state again, I’m jealous cos Scotland could have and should have built something similar at the end of the 80s using similar (and more valid imo) shtick.

Hope ive managed to explain myself. Its a bugbear of mine but I haven’t worded it well on here thus far!!!!

As it is, im sitting in Provence on hols, with the masochist bit of me wanting a France England final so i can really get torn into it on Sunday with the locals!!!

Sorry, Baddiel is to comedy what Sevco are to financial affairs !

More of this please.....

IMG_1092.JPG

35 minutes ago, Boab said:

Sorry, Baddiel is to comedy what Sevco are to financial affairs !

More of this please.....

IMG_1092.JPG

Oh yes much more of that. I quite like them both though. Loved Mary Whitehouse Experience back in the day and Fantasy Football was of its time but great. Skinner was a fine standup in his day too.

Edited by TheBigO

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh yes much more of that. I quite like them both though. Loved Mary Whitehouse Experience back in the day and Fantasy Football was of its time but great. Skinner was a fine standup in his day too.

Skinner is excellent. Baddiel...meh

1 hour ago, 18Jambo_dave74 said:

Best post on this thread

8 hours ago, TheBigO said:

England might win the World Cup (probably not but you never know), but if they do, what exactly will be coming home??

Not football. We invented that.

Bot the World Cup, only really France, as creators, Uruguay, as inaugural hosts and champs, and maybe Brasil as 5 time winners could claim to be its natural home.

So what is coming home??? I genuinely dont get all the home of football stuff. Started a thread on it last week but i think it was misinterpreted as a go at their teams chances or the daft song. Na, the English genuinely believe they are the home of football. Why???

@kerryagodliman on twitter asked that very same question. Even many of them didnt seem clear. Answers ranged amongst but not exclusive too (some were tongue in cheek others seemed genuine opinions)

football we invented it

foootball we took the idea and formalised it

the trophy - we only lent it out from 66 onward - and a few balls 

The concept of footbalL

get back in your box

are you trying to bait men to say women know nothing about football

the tournament

and “the team tonight”

worth a read though its quite a funny thread

Geoff the Mince
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I clicked the link and scrolled down. I came to a piece about shops in Glasgow running out of Croatia shirts, and being unable to meet demand for more.I

I get the whole England-Scotland rivalry. I feel it too.

But spending £40+ on a foreign shirt cos they are playing against England in a one-off game? 

It's all a bit pathetic to be honest .