• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
6 hours ago, graygo said:

"I can reassure them that it's safe in the council's storage facility at Penicuik".

This is the same council who managed to lose a whole pub they had in storage?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/pub-salvage-hope-hit-by-a-brick-as-rubble-sold-1-1282856

If you can sell off an entire pub by mistake and without realising it, I wouldnt have much confidence in the clocks safety.

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is that Sighthill?

Saughton Mains

The old terminus for the number 3

Whin Park Medical Centre is basically on the grass between where that white car is and the bus

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Saughton Mains

The old terminus for the number 3

Whin Park Medical Centre is basically on the grass between where that white car is and the bus

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1957 queuing to see The Bridge on the River Kwai

IMG_0901.JPG

Is that the Embassy on Boswall Parkway?

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Is that the Embassy on Boswall Parkway?

Yes it is.  When I lived on Royston Mains Avenue it was the place to be for the Saturday Morning kids matinee.  Cartoons and a film for just one penny.

Plus a sing-a-long:

"We come along each Saturday morning

greeting everybody with a smile.

We come along each Saturday morning

knowing it's well worthwhile ..."

I forget the rest.

On another occasion, my mother wanted to see a film called "The Body Snatchers",  but couldn't find a babysitter for me, so she took me with her.  That was a mistake.  She had to leave the picture house early because I was screaming so much. 

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

The Longstone Inn, gathering place every Friday evening for the Longstone Hearts Supporters Club in the early 1960s.

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes it is.  When I lived on Royston Mains Avenue it was the place to be for the Saturday Morning kids matinee.  Cartoons and a film for just one penny.

Plus a sing-a-long:

"We come along each Saturday morning

greeting everybody with a smile.

We come along each Saturday morning

knowing it's well worthwhile ..."

I forget the rest.

On another occasion, my mother wanted to see a film called "The Body Snatchers",  but couldn't find a babysitter for me, so she took me with her.  That was a mistake.  She had to leave the picture house early because I was screaming so much. 

As members of the GB club

We all intend to be

Good citizens when we grow up

And champions of the free.     

In our case at the new Victoria it was followed by songs such as land Of Hope and Glory.

Edited by bobsharp

luckyBatistuta
On 28/06/2018 at 12:31, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1591.JPG

Ok bud, this has caused a right old discussion in my house. My mother and father are over and they both along with my wife think it’s Earl Grey Street, but I think it’s Nicholson Street looking towards where  the Odeon cinema is, with St Patrick’s Square on the right out of shot. My only concern with my guess, is that it’s too wide, as there are 6 lanes. Put us out of our misery bud:lol:

30 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I just remember it as a burnt out shell before it was knocked down in the 70's. It seemed to be like that for a a very long time but as I was about 10 when it was knocked down maybe it just seemed like a long time. 

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Ok bud, this has caused a right old discussion in my house. My mother and father are over and they both along with my wife think it’s Earl Grey Street, but I think it’s Nicholson Street looking towards where  the Odeon cinema is, with St Patrick’s Square on the right out of shot. My only concern with my guess, is that it’s too wide, as there are 6 lanes. Put us out of our misery bud:lol:

It's Lothian Road isn't it? Taken form the ABC looking over to what is now Ali's Cave, Timpson's, etc. TSB on the corner at Fountainbridge. 

Les Izemore
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I just remember it as a burnt out shell before it was knocked down in the 70's. It seemed to be like that for a a very long time but as I was about 10 when it was knocked down maybe it just seemed like a long time. 

After it was knocked down it was rebuilt as a Wm Low supermarket which was a shoplifters paradise for us wee scamps at Granton Primary school. 

Just now, Les Izemore said:

After it was knocked down it was rebuilt as a Wm Low supermarket which was a shoplifters paradise for us wee scamps at Granton Primary school. 

I remember that, though having a car my Mum's supermarket of choice was the Trendsetter Leith Provident down at West Harbour Road. 

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My guess is Earl Grey Street, just down from Tollcross. The car parked on the left of the picture looks like my 1948 light blue Hillman Minx, the lady and her man  look like she has had enough and is pushing him under the truck.  Probably just been at St Cuthberts in Bread Street, he bought something and didn't use her store number, in women of those days minds that was a crime worthy of  capital punishment.

luckyBatistuta
On 28/06/2018 at 09:00, Maroon Sailor said:

Gladstone Monument on St Andrews Square.

IMG_0852.JPG

On 28/06/2018 at 09:00, Maroon Sailor said:

And now in Coates Crescent

IMG_0853.JPG

Did they drop it, because that doesn’t look like the whole statue?

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It's Lothian Road isn't it? Taken form the ABC looking over to what is now Ali's Cave, Timpson's, etc. TSB on the corner at Fountainbridge. 

I see that now, the roof of the Central Hall in the distance is the same. Cheers :thumbsup:

Maroon Sailor
30 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I was going to ask the same question as it said it was Great Junction Street !

Maroon Sailor
25 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Did they drop it, because that doesn’t look like the whole statue?

Different angle - might be deceiving

John Findlay
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1957 queuing to see The Bridge on the River Kwai

IMG_0901.JPG

Boswall Parkway. Now a block of flats on this site. My mum and aunt Leona used to doll my Aunt Lorraine their younger sister upto the nines to sneak her into X showings of hammer house of horror Dracula films in the late 60s st the Embassy. You can see St Margaret Mary's convent the white building to the left of the picture house in the photo. It's still here and I was baptised there as a three months old baby. Royston school,  now demolished and a care home built on the site is further to the left. My first primary school which I started attending in April 1968. I lived at 1 Royston Mains Place at the time.

Edited by John Findlay

34 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I originally thought it was Nicholson Street looking towards the town, with the university dome in the distance.  But it's definitely Lothian Road looking towards Tollcross.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I originally thought it was Nicholson Street looking towards the town, with the university dome in the distance.  But it's definitely Lothian Road looking towards Tollcross.

That bus will be turning right into Fountainbridge

IMG_0903.JPG

What a fantastic thread. Edinburgh really was a smart looking city back in the day.

I would still say it is, but some of the modern buildings that have replaced those gone by do not live up to the standards of old.

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Different angle - might be deceiving

Looks like the bottom section is completely missing 

19 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Does look like Nicholson, but I can see it now, just took me a while :lol:

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That bus will be turning right into Fountainbridge

IMG_0903.JPG

‘What’s amazing me about all these pictures, is just how many shop there are everywhere. Just shows you how much the internet has slowly killed them off. 

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Rab87 said:

What a fantastic thread. Edinburgh really was a smart looking city back in the day.

I would still say it is, but some of the modern buildings that have replaced those gone by do not live up to the standards of old.

Definitely, can’t get my head around what they replaced some of the buildings and shops with. Leith Street looks like a thriving, bustling street, but then replaced with a soulless journey to elsewhere.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘What’s amazing me about all these pictures, is just how many shop there are everywhere. Just shows you how much the internet has slowly killed them off. 

Shops, decent roads and pavements, clean, less traffic

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

For every closed shop, there is a new bar/restaurant. Another sign of the changing times. People in the main shop from home, yet go out to eat. 

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Shops, decent roads and pavements, clean, less traffic

Yeah, if only I could figure out how this guy managed it, I’d be off

81ABC831-DC0E-4200-861D-2D73C34EE8EE.gif

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, Rab87 said:

For every closed shop, there is a new bar/restaurant. Another sign of the changing times. People in the main shop from home, yet go out to eat. 

Quite a few restaurants struggling too, picked up a manager from one of the top restaurants just recently who closed up at 9 o’clock, because there was nobody coming in. Take away the tourists and Edinburgh city centre in the evening is not a busy place. Bars and clubs picking and choosing what nights to open, as there isn’t the business on certain nights. Edinburgh is turning into a giant student campus and you never see them until around 11 o’clock, when they hit the clubs (already intoxicated) who have a student event on (£1.50 a drink) 

Les Izemore
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Boswall Parkway. Now a block of flats on this site. My mum and aunt Leona used to doll my Aunt Lorraine their younger sister upto the nines to sneak her into X showings of hammer house of horror Dracula films in the late 60s st the Embassy. You can see St Margaret Mary's convent the white building to the left of the picture house in the photo. It's still here and I was baptised there as a three months old baby. Royston school,  now demolished and a care home built on the site is further to the left. My first primary school which I started attending in April 1968. I lived at 1 Royston Mains Place at the time.

My auld man was a Roystoner from 1953 after moving there from Admiralty Street as a 10 year old. 

He claims there used to be 5 churches on Boswall Parkway back then but I was raised in Pilton Avenue and can only remember 4. 

1 minute ago, Les Izemore said:

My auld man was a Roystoner from 1953 after moving there from Admiralty Street as a 10 year old. 

He claims there used to be 5 churches on Boswall Parkway back then but I was raised in Pilton Avenue and can only remember 4. 

Granton Parish

St Margaret Mary's Chapel

Congregational

Methodist

?

Les Izemore

Apparently there was an Episcopalian church on the corner of Boswall Parkway and Royston Mains Place, which is now the site of Crewe Medical Centre. Still healing then. ?

Just now, Les Izemore said:

Apparently there was an Episcopalian church on the corner of Boswall Parkway and Royston Mains Place, which is now the site of Crewe Medical Centre. Still healing then. ?

Right enough, so there was. 

There is no doubt Edinburgh had some beautiful areas, but there were areas that were not at all pleasant to look at or live in.  Hence the old saying Edinburgh like a fancy lady, fur coat and no drawers.

John Findlay
30 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

Bang on. The church is smaller and is behind the medical centre, where I am registered, now right in Royston Mains Place. Of course the church of Scotland was right across the road at what is now Wesley Court. Remember pour outs at weddings as a laddie. Happy memories as a young boy growing up.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Quite a few restaurants struggling too, picked up a manager from one of the top restaurants just recently who closed up at 9 o’clock, because there was nobody coming in. Take away the tourists and Edinburgh city centre in the evening is not a busy place. Bars and clubs picking and choosing what nights to open, as there isn’t the business on certain nights. Edinburgh is turning into a giant student campus and you never see them until around 11 o’clock, when they hit the clubs (already intoxicated) who have a student event on (£1.50 a drink) 

TBF, when you're charging around £4.50-£5 upwards for a pint in some of these 'high-class' establishments, its little wonder no one goes out. Those prices are now creeping into local bars as well.

As for the restaurants, some of the prices are ridiculous. Lots of owners out there seem to think every Edinburgh local is loaded.

John Findlay
51 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

He was/is correct. All on the same side of the road. My parents moved into Royston Mains Place in 1964. I was one year old.

Maroon Sailor
38 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

There is no doubt Edinburgh had some beautiful areas, but there were areas that were not at all pleasant to look at or live in.  Hence the old saying Edinburgh like a fancy lady, fur coat and no drawers.

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Never did get those Pay On Entry signs on the front of the bus.

Can only assume these were the first batch of buses without a clippy.

Then it just got stranger as on the 41

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor