Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0871.JPG

Where's this MS? Is that Leith Walk looking upwards (South)?

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember it more like this

IMG_0877.JPG

Yes this is how l remember it!

12 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Where's this MS? Is that Leith Walk looking upwards (South)?

Yes, barely changed apart from the bridge and Leith Central Station being gone.

will-i-am-a-jambo
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yes, barely changed apart from the bridge and Leith Central Station being gone.

Thanks Tazio.

Thats my Edinburgh just as I remember it, Lothian Road with Alexanders the Ford dealer, the goods station with the three wheel delivery trucks, the Waverley Market with the Shows, or Carnival every Christmas, Portobello in the summer, no tans in July only slight frost bite. Points duty at Salisbury intersection, and the Y intesection at Abbeyhill. Not the most modern as today, but it had an inner warmth all over, it was old, trusted, when the elderly gave you their in my day tales, they were helpful because they ran about the same streets.  Its up to date now, I am sure everyone enjoys it, but there was a price to pay.

Montgomery Brewster
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks mate, would be good to see it :thumb:

Just searched again for the umpteenth time. 

I wonder if it was a picture I saw in the boozer now. Like an old one on a wall. 

I will be in there on Saturday getting leathered and will check !

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Just searched again for the umpteenth time. 

I wonder if it was a picture I saw in the boozer now. Like an old one on a wall. 

I will be in there on Saturday getting leathered and will check !

:lol: every time I go in somewhere that has old pictures of Edinburgh, I’m straight over to have a right good look at them. Love looking at old edinburgh, how it used to be and trying to figure out where places are.

:thumbsup:

John Findlay
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0867.JPG

Looks before 1978. Might be queuing for Jaws 1975. I know I did aged 12.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Looks before 1978. Might be queuing for Jaws 1975. I know I did aged 12.

It's before 78, he was just saying that the queue was like that for Grease.

I would put money on it being Jaws - helluva queue whatever film it was

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Could've been this 1964

IMG_0883.JPG

Could be 1964, but don't think Cliff was that popular - more likely The Beatles imo.

1 hour ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Could be 1964, but don't think Cliff was that popular - more likely The Beatles imo.

The old Regal cinema, I seem to recall the Beatles appearing live there. 1964ish

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

The old Regal cinema, I seem to recall the Beatles appearing live there. 1964ish

You could be right.

been here before

One of my favourite historical pictures of Edinburgh by Alfred G. Buckham. Taken c1920.

afbuck.thumb.jpg.fd940279375641993c0f1433e74737af.jpg

The photographer himself was an interesting character who took quite a few aerial pictures when both aircraft and photography were in their relative infancy.  No fancy remote controlled gopros just a big hulking wooden box with a lens. He took his pictures thus..."If one's right leg is tied to the seat with a scarf or a piece of rope, it is possible to work in perfect security".

Edited by been here before

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

One of my favourite historical pictures of Edinburgh by Alfred G. Buckham. Taken c1920.

afbuck.thumb.jpg.fd940279375641993c0f1433e74737af.jpg

The photographer himself was an interesting character who took quite a few aerial pictures when both aircraft and photography were in their relative infancy.  No fancy remote controlled gopros just a big hulking wooden box with a lens. He took his pictures thus..."If one's right leg is tied to the seat with a scarf or a piece of rope, it is possible to work in perfect security".

That photo is amazing.

been here before
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That photo is amazing.

Isnt it. First time I saw it I thought it was photshopped, touched up, had some filtering applied some such, but no its 100% real. Its owned by the National Galleries.

https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/artists/alfred-g-buckham

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, been here before said:

Isnt it. First time I saw it I thought it was photshopped, touched up, had some filtering applied some such, but no its 100% real. Its owned by the National Galleries.

I’m glad it’s owned by the National Galleries and not some private collector.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sure is. Never knew there were little featured walls 

IMG_0889.JPG

Thanks for posting up my pics MS. Yep l didn't know about the wall features either, l quite like them but l guess they were removed as they look like they take up too much space. Love the old tram signs too. Wonder where that clock is now.

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thanks for posting up my pics MS. Yep l didn't know about the wall features either, l quite like them but l guess they were removed as they look like they take up too much space. Love the old tram signs too. Wonder where that clock is now.

Might have got moved to Morningside

On looking at it again - maybe not ! 

Would have been a good story

IMG_1616.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1616.JPG

Well spotted! Certainly looks the same. I actually thought as soon as l posted it looked like the one from Morningside but wasn't sure.

That clock has been in Morningside for years, picture from 1945 and it's reckoned to be about 20 years old in the photo.

0_post_card_views_jm_morningside.jpg

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

That clock has been in Morningside for years, picture from 1945 and it's reckoned to be about 20 years old in the photo.

0_post_card_views_jm_morningside.jpg

Looks like it's been moved around a fair bit that clock!

been here before
17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1616.JPG

I think those are different clocks. The one at Morningside originally srood outside Morningside Station before being moved.

Theres a bit about the Morningside clock here.

The pole and the surround of the face also looks different between the 2 pictures.

Now I dont know if Im right or not but if you look at the black and white picture of Binns/Frasers you'll see the famous clock on the wall dodsnt seem to be there (unless its obscured).

binns1.jpg.746d1a1d4a2514762cb2178bfd446f29.jpg

I wonder if its the same clock.

Someone must know!

Hers another old picture, no big clock on the street but the one on the wall is there...

binns.jpg.e3f399a4b48df6cc18feb40d9a8c73e7.jpg

And another old one with no clock on the wall but the big pavement clock is there...

20180628_223856.jpg.e35629d800091aee73d73465572e8eef.jpg

Maroon Sailor

What about Tollcross for the clock

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

been here before
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

The stand / pole looks far thinner and the bit round the face looks different.

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

Not the same as the one in Princes Street but one of a set of 4, think we know now where 3 of them were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollcross,_Edinburgh

In the middle of the junction is a distinctive ironwork pillar clock which has been one of the city's landmarks since 1901. Many Victorian and Edwardian photographs feature the clock at what was a busy tram hub. It was gifted to the city by Provost James Steel and Treasurer Robert Cranston, and was one of four similar clocks made by the Edinburgh clockmakers, James Ritchie & Son. The skeleton face and pillar were made by Macfarlane Castings. Originally a weight-driven pendulum clock, it was altered to a spring-driven mechanism in 1926. It and the clock at the city's West End were the largest street clocks in Britain to be driven by this type of mechanism. It was wound weekly by a clockwinder employed by Ritchie's, using a crank handle inserted into the base. In 1969, it was converted to an electric mechanism located between the dials. Junction improvements in 1974 led to the clock's removal, causing public consternation, as a result of which it was returned to a spot close to its original position.

Maroon Sailor

Here's another one or have we found the West End one now !

IMG_0893.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

After a bit more detective work I've found out that the one at the west end is now in storage in Penicuik, having been moved from the west end to the top of Leith Walk

"People keep enquiring about the clock that stood on the roundabout at the top of Leith Walk, removed a few months ago to make way for the trams.

I can reassure them that it's safe in the council's storage facility at Penicuik. What they possibly don't know is that it was originally a lamp standard clock at the top of Waverley Bridge. "In the late 1800s it was converted to a free-standing clock and moved to the junction of Queensferry Street and Princes Street outside Binns, now Frasers. "It was later moved from there to the top of Leith Walk. A whole lot of people out there will want to see it de-mothballed and back in the public eye before long.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Here's another one

IMG_0893.JPG

That will be the one in my post above and is the one that was outside Frasers.  :thumbsup: 

Edited by graygo

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

Worked in building to right when I left school(between there and offices at New St ,also gone) Also worked in tiled building in foreground(Highwayman pub) and the odd shift at the Travellers Tryst at the other end

Carl Fredrickson
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What year did the bridge come down? That’s a great photo though, gives a completely different look to that street. Take it the Spey Lounge isn’t there then, can’t see any meat wagons.

:lol:

Must have been sometime in the 1970s as I can mind it. I used to save up my pocket money to go to a toy shop just down from the bridge. I would get either a toy car or a toy soldier. Went in one Saturday and the bridge wasnt there. I was upset as I thought the trains would crash with no bridge :jj_facepalm:

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

I have a DVD of the building of the bridge. Old black and white stuff before the days of H&S. Guys rolling out cables with no safety harnesses or helmets. Frightening to watch but they worked on it with no outward sign of fear. 

Great detective work on the old clock Why is classic old stuff like that kept in storage when it should be on show for folk to see. 

luckyBatistuta
23 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Must have been sometime in the 1970s as I can mind it. I used to save up my pocket money to go to a toy shop just down from the bridge. I would get either a toy car or a toy soldier. Went in one Saturday and the bridge wasnt there. I was upset as I thought the trains would crash with no bridge :jj_facepalm:

:lol: it’s not Coronation Street