Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Radio Ga Ga

Where most of the stone that built the new town came from. 

IMG_1222.jpeg

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Bob sharp in that photo? Great thread👍🏻

😅

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

IMG_1222.jpeg

Now filled in, with a retail park sitting on it !!

Radio Ga Ga

Trinity College Kirk, demolished to make way for Waverley Station 

IMG_1230.jpeg

Radio Ga Ga
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Now filled in, with a retail park sitting on it !!

IMG_1231.jpeg

joondalupjambo
14 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

IMG_1222.jpeg

Craigleith Quarry

Nookie Bear

As an aside, what is the earliest known photograph of Hearts (players, ground etc)?

Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

As an aside, what is the earliest known photograph of Hearts (players, ground etc)?

Tynecastle Stadium in 1903.

Lone Striker
44 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Trinity College Kirk, demolished to make way for Waverley Station 

IMG_1230.jpeg

Wow.  Never seen that photo before.  It looks a fabulously ornate building, lost to history but at least there's photographic evidence that it existed.

One of your previous photos from the Holyrood area showed 2 piles of horse dung on the cobbles, and I was going to ask the JKB encyclopaedia  if there was some kind of  "waste collection" for it back in the day.  Your photo above  possibly answers it !! 😃

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow.  Never seen that photo before.  It looks a fabulously ornate building, lost to history but at least there's photographic evidence that it existed.

One of your previous photos from the Holyrood area showed 2 piles of horse dung on the cobbles, and I was going to ask the JKB encyclopaedia  if there was some kind of  "waste collection" for it back in the day.  Your photo above  possibly answers it !! 😃

Here's an engraving of it from 1847

image.png.350c3a317a0b35486295267d2b8e6b76.png

Edited by Footballfirst

Daktari

Some of the stone was used to rebuild a version as Trinity Church in Jeffrey Street. It's still there behind the hotel.

Image 22-03-2024 at 17.50.jpeg

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Some of the stone was used to rebuild a version as Trinity Church in Jeffrey Street. It's still there behind the hotel.

Another view

image.jpeg.c49aeca60ddc07b2296ba55065099a53.jpeg

PaddysBar
3 hours ago, Seaside jambo said:

Stay just up the road in sunny Niddrie now but born n bread in portobello 😄

pint is £3.50 for T and £3.30 for carlin 

I think am a beer drinker,  you're more than welcome in the club it’s open to non

members 

Did porty legion not move there for a while after they closed around 15 years ago?

I was a member of the legion but never went after the original premises closed. That was a great club. 

Seaside jambo
3 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Dp

Yes , they were there . Then moved to the rockville at Joppa 

That was a brilliant club must have had the best facilities for its members anywhere in the town 

PaddysBar
Just now, Seaside jambo said:

Yes , they were there . Then moved to the rockville at Joppa 

That was a brilliant club must have had the best facilities for its members anywhere in the town 

It was. Great snooker tables. Cleaned every day. Great dart boards and function rooms were great too. 

My dad was a member for years and I spent many great days there (as did Arctic Jambo) who once won the £100 jackpot on the puggy and kindly gave me half😂

I had loads of folk over from Holland for my wedding in 2002 and we had a day 2 party in the main hall in the legion, buffet etc. which also happened to be World Cup final day (30 June 2002). 

The dutchies were delighted Brazil spanked the gerries 😂

Seaside jambo

Sounds a great few days 

my dad and uncle were both members and had a few mates who used the snooker tables 

Never went there much myself just to play darts against the legion was a forester man 😄

Radio Ga Ga
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Built in the 16th century and apparently the best example of Gothic architecture in Britain, the railway gave £16,000 for it to be moved and rebuilt (a fortune at the time) but it never happened and only the Apse was moved to the Trinity church just off Jeffrey Street. 

IMG_1297.jpeg

PaddysBar
21 minutes ago, Seaside jambo said:

Sounds a great few days 

my dad and uncle were both members and had a few mates who used the snooker tables 

Never went there much myself just to play darts against the legion was a forester man 😄

My dad would definitely have known your dad and uncle if they were members between 1990 and 2008 (when my dad died). 

Baldwigforjack
On 20/03/2024 at 23:25, Daktari said:

Cannogate side of Bakehouse Close in 1905.

Image 20-03-2024 at 22.48.jpeg

Like Jambo-Jimbo my ancestors had moved on from Bakehouse Close by this point, but would still have seen this view on a daily basis as they moved down the road to Big Jack's Close.

Seaside jambo
Just now, PaddysBar said:

My dad would definitely have known your dad and uncle if they were members between 1990 and 2008 (when my dad died). 

Yes probably my uncle was a regular played. Bowling for them and Brighton place club 

My dad not so much he went when the club was in tower street now Figgate st 

His mate was air commodore Jimmy Rankin who’s picture was on the wall at the entrance 

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here's an engraving of it from 1847

image.png.350c3a317a0b35486295267d2b8e6b76.png

I remember seeing that pic of the engraving on here, but didn't twig that it was the same church in the old photo further up the thread.   Thanks for that info 👍

5 hours ago, Daktari said:

That Google photo shows the difficulty facing town planners in trying to balance modern improvement with preserving  very old landmark buildings.  Thanks for that post. 👍 

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Built in the 16th century and apparently the best example of Gothic architecture in Britain, the railway gave £16,000 for it to be moved and rebuilt (a fortune at the time) but it never happened and only the Apse was moved to the Trinity church just off Jeffrey Street. 

IMG_1297.jpeg

Thats another great old "photo".  Thanks 👍    It looks such a beautiful old building, yet there'll be very few folk alive today who are aware that it even existed or why it was demolished.   Its quite a privilege to see these old pics actually.

ArcticJambo
5 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

It was. Great snooker tables. Cleaned every day. Great dart boards and function rooms were great too. 

My dad was a member for years and I spent many great days there (as did Arctic Jambo) who once won the £100 jackpot on the puggy and kindly gave me half😂

I had loads of folk over from Holland for my wedding in 2002 and we had a day 2 party in the main hall in the legion, buffet etc. which also happened to be World Cup final day (30 June 2002). 

The dutchies were delighted Brazil spanked the gerries 😂

Completely forgot about that! Like many things!  Aye, good times in there, and the Coachie next door.

PaddysBar
58 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Completely forgot about that! Like many things!  Aye, good times in there, and the Coachie next door.

We also used to win the Thursday coachie quiz quite regularly 👍

Stuart Lyon
On 16/03/2024 at 14:13, Baldwigforjack said:

Any idea when the top photo was taken? I've just discovered my 4x great grandparents living in Bakehouse Close on the 1851 census, would be cool if they were in the photo.

Here's another photo of Bakehouse Close - no idea when it was taken.

Bakehouse Close.jpeg

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bakehouse Close.jpeg

1924 or there abouts, because in that year the City of Edinburgh purchased Huntly House/Acheson House and turned it into the Municipal Museum.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jambo-Jimbo
17 hours ago, Baldwigforjack said:

Like Jambo-Jimbo my ancestors had moved on from Bakehouse Close by this point, but would still have seen this view on a daily basis as they moved down the road to Big Jack's Close.

Don't know if you have this piece of info, it is the Ordnance Survey Directory Report from 1852 for Bakehouse Close, when your ancestors would have lived in the close.

BakehouseClose-O.S.Directory1852cropped.thumb.jpg.cc8cb906f0369b4576782f5b85c416e8.jpg

It says: A dirty close in which are a few houses irregularly built generally four stories high tenanted by work people of different callings.

Baldwigforjack
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Don't know if you have this piece of info, it is the Ordnance Survey Directory Report from 1852 for Bakehouse Close, when your ancestors would have lived in the close.

BakehouseClose-O.S.Directory1852cropped.thumb.jpg.cc8cb906f0369b4576782f5b85c416e8.jpg

It says: A dirty close in which are a few houses irregularly built generally four stories high tenanted by work people of different callings.

No, I didn't have this info, thanks.

Percival King
22 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

IMG_1222.jpeg

Great photo. Holiday Inn (Esso Motel) yet to be but on the other side of the junction.

periodictabledancer
18 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

I remember seeing that pic of the engraving on here, but didn't twig that it was the same church in the old photo further up the thread.   Thanks for that info 👍

That Google photo shows the difficulty facing town planners in trying to balance modern improvement with preserving  very old landmark buildings.  Thanks for that post. 👍 

Thats another great old "photo".  Thanks 👍    It looks such a beautiful old building, yet there'll be very few folk alive today who are aware that it even existed or why it was demolished.   Its quite a privilege to see these old pics actually.

The church was demolished and the stone was dumped on Calton Hill. By the time they got round to re-building it , they couldn't, as so much of it had been nicked. 

Stuart Lyon
21 hours ago, Baldwigforjack said:

No, I didn't have this info, thanks.

More info on Bakehouse Close from the book Close Encounters of the Royal Mile

IMG_0638.jpeg

51.jpeg

52.jpeg

53.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

quite simply the best thread on KB 

It is.

Thankfully it's one of the few threads that the Trolls and Bams don't appear. 

been here before

Oldest known photo of Edinburgh City Centre. 1839 Thomas Davidson.

12466027_1037797512944598_2655555395637984936_o.webp.6914339c82e0c263ae61641d5cb1b5e2.webp

On 23/03/2024 at 22:08, Stuart Lyon said:

Bakehouse Close.jpeg

Sorry, just seen the answer

Edited by Sydney

Daktari
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It is.

Thankfully it's one of the few threads that the Trolls and Bams don't appear. 

I really enjoy it, so I've been doing my bit and  trying to post more regularly to keep it fresh. Inevitably there will be some repetition but it's so long now that there will be people coming to it fresh that won't have seen the 'doublers' and if it encourages others to post, all the better. And the good thing about history is that there's more of it all the time!  Seeing stuff from within my lifetime described as 'history' is quite sobering.....