Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I really enjoy it, so I've been doing my bit and  trying to post more regularly to keep it fresh. Inevitably there will be some repetition but it's so long now that there will be people coming to it fresh that won't have seen the 'doublers' and if it encourages others to post, all the better. And the good thing about history is that there's more of it all the time!  Seeing stuff from within my lifetime described as 'history' is quite sobering.....

Great post.

I love history and all these photographs, in particular Edinburgh’s Southside evokes many happy memories.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

superjack
14 hours ago, been here before said:

Oldest known photo of Edinburgh City Centre. 1839 Thomas Davidson.

12466027_1037797512944598_2655555395637984936_o.webp.6914339c82e0c263ae61641d5cb1b5e2.webp

The thing I love most about this photo, if you showed it to someone who doesn't know, they'd never guess that's a jail.

Jambo-Jimbo
23 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

More info on Bakehouse Close from the book Close Encounters of the Royal Mile

IMG_0638.jpeg

51.jpeg

52.jpeg

53.jpeg

Cheers, I didn't know that the archway dated back to 1570.

Once again the best thread on KB just keeps on delivering.

Daktari
4 hours ago, superjack said:

The thing I love most about this photo, if you showed it to someone who doesn't know, they'd never guess that's a jail.

I posted away back in this thread somewhere about how St Andrew's House is built on the foundations of the old jail.  If you go down into the basement, the outline of the original building can be seen, including where the condemned cell was. Also those who were hanged were buried in the grounds of the jail rather than in a churchyard, so many of the executed  prisoners are still in situ, under the west car park.  There are no markers for them though, which I think was also the case when they were originally buried. 

Daktari

This was my post on page 305 of this thread. The Scottish Government article is worth a read, as are the personal reminiscences at the end of people who worked in the building. . I've also got a post on the same page detailing the executed prisoners who are still under the car park!

'There's a decent section about St Andrews House on the Scottish Government website. It was published for the 70th anniversary of the building, and can be found at this link - https://www.gov.scot/publications/70-years-of-st-andrews-house/pages/introduction/ '

Daktari

The Pleasance, 1929.  If you look at the very bottom right of the building there's a duplicate advert, presumably for a newspaper, saying 'Experts tell how Hearts and Hibs play'. A modern version would be 'Experts on JKB talk constant sh*te and fall out'. :) 

Image 25-03-2024 at 14.01.jpeg

Fxxx the SPFL
On 23/03/2024 at 18:30, Mister T said:

1000016419-colorized.jpg

took my future wife to be in there 1978 for a drink and the rest is history.

Footballfirst
40 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Duncans chocolate factory, Beaverhall Road, 1918.

Image 25-03-2024 at 13.41.jpeg

My mum worked there in the early 60s. One of her jobs was to hand whip the chocolate on walnut whips. 

I always looked forward to Fridays when she would bring home a bag of misshaped sweets.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

My mum worked there in the early 60s. One of her jobs was to hand whip the chocolate on walnut whips. 

I always looked forward to Fridays when she would bring home a bag of misshaped sweets.

Mrs TRM worked there in the mid 70’s and her job was putting the walnut on the whip.:lol:

Carl Fredrickson
35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

My mum worked at Rowantrees in the 70s by which point I think Duncans had closed. Fond memories of going "into town" on a Friday evening in the car (I got to sit in the front which was a huge thing and before seatbelts were compulsory). Parked outside the greyhound/speedway stadium and my mum would always have some chocolates for us. 

Over 40 years ago, jeezo. 

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Daktari said:

Duncans chocolate factory, Beaverhall Road, 1918.

Image 25-03-2024 at 13.41.jpeg

My late mum worked there in the 60s along with two of her sisters.

stuart500

I used to live quite close to Duncan's chocolate factory. The fabulous aroma of roasting chocolate wafted strongly out of the place. Best smelling factory ever! Who remembers Duncan's Chocolate Orange?

Footballfirst

Duncan's 1927

image.jpeg.2723909734983ba2452bbbddc8584635.jpeg

A couple of products

Store display for Duncan Old Style Milk Chocolate Walnut Whips candy, 1950s  | Vintage sweets, Walnut whip, Vintage recipes

British chocolate wrappers Duncan

Edited by Footballfirst

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Duncan's 1927

image.jpeg.2723909734983ba2452bbbddc8584635.jpeg

A couple of products

Store display for Duncan Old Style Milk Chocolate Walnut Whips candy, 1950s  | Vintage sweets, Walnut whip, Vintage recipes

👍

Heart of Darkness
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

My late mum worked there in the 60s along with two of her sisters.

My granny worked there in the early 70's. I remember her giving me bits of chocolate from a paper bag. I was about 5, I'm thinking that she might have got this free at the end of the week. The *Cabana coconut bar seems to spring to mind. 🤔

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, JWL said:

Old Photos, Vintage Photos, Vintage Scotland, New Saints, Edinburgh ...

Top of Leith Street.

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, JWL said:

17 Old leith ideas | leith, edinburgh, scotland

Cracking view up Leith Walk.

10 minutes ago, JWL said:

17 Old leith ideas | leith, edinburgh, scotland

Apparently when I was a wee kid (pre-school) I thought Leith Walk was The Bridges because there was a bridge going over it. Used to go to Telectra House every Saturday to meet my grannie finishing work and go for ice cream in Lanny’s Cafe on Henderson Street. Then we’d go to Bowman’s the pork butcher and get red pudding to take home for our tea. Happy times. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Apparently when I was a wee kid (pre-school) I thought Leith Walk was The Bridges because there was a bridge going over it. Used to go to Telectra House every Saturday to meet my grannie finishing work and go for ice cream in Lanny’s Cafe on Henderson Street. Then we’d go to Bowman’s the pork butcher and get red pudding to take home for our tea. Happy times. 

Telectra House, remember it well. Used to go to Lannies when I was a bairn as well and I remember the red pudding from the butcher. My dad used to get his tripe and sweetbreads there too.

12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Cracking view up Leith Walk.

I imagine it's taken from the top floor of one of the block of flats in the kirkgate.

John Findlay
Just now, JWL said:

I imagine it's taken from the top floor of one of the block of flats in the kirkgate.

Probably. My late mum was born there in 1942.

3 minutes ago, JWL said:

Telectra House, remember it well. Used to go to Lannies when I was a bairn as well and I remember the red pudding from the butcher. My dad used to get his tripe and sweetbreads there too.

Depending on your age he probably got his tripe and stuff from the offal butchers on Duke Street. Seems odd n\ow different butchers for different things. Sausages, puddings, and pork from Bowman’s, Anderson’s for your steak pies and beef, and the offal butchers (can’t remember the name but think it was vaguely Jewish sounding) for tripe, lover, kidney etc/ 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Depending on your age he probably got his tripe and stuff from the offal butchers on Duke Street. Seems odd n\ow different butchers for different things. Sausages, puddings, and pork from Bowman’s, Anderson’s for your steak pies and beef, and the offal butchers (can’t remember the name but think it was vaguely Jewish sounding) for tripe, lover, kidney etc/ 

Was convinced it was a butcher in Junction Street he got his tripe and sweetbreads on (or got my mum to get it) but could well have been Duke Street. Potted hough was another favourite of his, horrific stuff.

1 minute ago, JWL said:

Was convinced it was a butcher in Junction Street he got his tripe and sweetbreads on (or got my mum to get it) but could well have been Duke Street. Potted hough was another favourite of his, horrific stuff.

Potted heid my old man called it. Came in wee plastic tubs, gave me the boak watching him tuck into it. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Potted heid my old man called it. Came in wee plastic tubs, gave me the boak watching him tuck into it. 

Aye, he called it potted heid at times. I tried one wee mouthful when I was wee, absolutely disgusting.

davemclaren
48 minutes ago, Tazio said:

46 minutes ago, JWL said:

Aye, he called it potted heid at times. I tried one wee mouthful when I was wee, absolutely disgusting.

Lovely stuff. 

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I remember that . It was awful . 

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

I liked it and also tripe as well.

Daktari

I know this photo has been up before - advertising boards next to Corstorphine railway station, but until it was pointed out elsewhere, I'd never noticed the graffiti on the sausage advert!

Image 25-03-2024 at 21.20.jpeg

Lone Striker
On 25/03/2024 at 16:22, Carl Fredrickson said:

My mum worked at Rowantrees in the 70s by which point I think Duncans had closed. Fond memories of going "into town" on a Friday evening in the car (I got to sit in the front which was a huge thing and before seatbelts were compulsory). Parked outside the greyhound/speedway stadium and my mum would always have some chocolates for us. 

Over 40 years ago, jeezo. 

It got taken over by Rowntrees, but they divested it in the late 80s and it  reverted to an independent company for a while in the same building.  Quite sad to see an Edinburgh manufacturer of fine chocolate leave the city  and then go to the wall.

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

It got taken over by Rowntrees, but they divested it in the late 80s and it  reverted to an independent company for a while in the same building.  Quite sad to see an Edinburgh manufacturer of fine chocolate leave the city  and then go to the wall.

I agree. I seem to remember in the 80s there being Duncans chocolate bars. My parents hail from Glasgow but moved through here in the 50s and my dad used to say that Duncans was the best chocolate he had tasted. 

IIRC the Edinburgh Rowantrees was closed to allow production to go to York to "save" jobs in the hometown of the firm. Weird that years later my brother moved to Yorkshire and his wife worked in the Rowantree York factory for a while.

Lone Striker
19 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Morningside Road 1900s.  I love the lamp post.

May be an image of 4 people, tram and street

Aye. Looks to be right outside what is now the Gurkha 

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree. I seem to remember in the 80s there being Duncans chocolate bars. My parents hail from Glasgow but moved through here in the 50s and my dad used to say that Duncans was the best chocolate he had tasted. 

IIRC the Edinburgh Rowantrees was closed to allow production to go to York to "save" jobs in the hometown of the firm. Weird that years later my brother moved to Yorkshire and his wife worked in the Rowantree York factory for a while.

I think you're correct.  My former boss worked at the Edinburgh Rowntrees site until it closed (early 1980s ?) and I remember him saying that was the reason.  

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I think you're correct.  My former boss worked at the Edinburgh Rowntrees site until it closed (early 1980s ?) and I remember him saying that was the reason.  

IIRC (I was young at the time) Golden Wonder was another that the jobs went south for. I think the West Lothian factory closed to save jobs down south. A lot of folk stopped buying Golden Wonder and again, IIRC, Highlander crisps were founded possibly as a worker/manager buy out of the factory. A long time ago and much of this was probably me overhearing parents talking rather than seeing it on TV or reading a paper.

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

IIRC (I was young at the time) Golden Wonder was another that the jobs went south for. I think the West Lothian factory closed to save jobs down south. A lot of folk stopped buying Golden Wonder and again, IIRC, Highlander crisps were founded possibly as a worker/manager buy out of the factory. A long time ago and much of this was probably me overhearing parents talking rather than seeing it on TV or reading a paper.

This is a fascinating article detailing the story of Golden Wonder, founded in Edinburgh by a baker called William Alexander in the 1940s (which I didn't know).   Like most successful Scottish food producers, now taken over by one of the "big boys" and long-gone from Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62811916

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Thats a great find, James.    And as a bonus, we've learned that  you wore glasses as a youngster.  :whistling:😜

IMG_3373.gif

J.T.F.Robertson
19 hours ago, Tazio said:

My late dad loved the stuff too.

Carl Fredrickson
22 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

This is a fascinating article detailing the story of Golden Wonder, founded in Edinburgh by a baker called William Alexander in the 1940s (which I didn't know).   Like most successful Scottish food producers, now taken over by one of the "big boys" and long-gone from Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62811916

Thanks for that an interesting read

Daktari
4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for that an interesting read

The founder was from my home town Armadale too. Never knew that until I read this article when it came out.  He was probably down the pits at the same time as my grandad.