Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Janbo1874

The scaffold has been up around that building for so long I had forgotten what it looked like before.

Not been missing much and the nick of that stonework.

417469951_933070021519221_4415426105847953072_n.jpg

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

The scaffold has been up around that building for so long I had forgotten what it looked like before.

Not been missing much and the nick of that stonework.

417469951_933070021519221_4415426105847953072_n.jpg

A few new blocks of flats near me have been started and built to conclusion over the same period that building has been shrouded in scaffolding. Goodness knows what they’re doing as its not that old!

Hearts fans watch their side's Scottish Cup semi-final against Motherwell, March 1952. 

98,208 were in attendance for the 1-1 draw at Hampden Park.

Image 6.jpeg

ArcticJambo
52 minutes ago, Daktari said:

IMG_0008.jpeg

Not seen that one before, any date or source?  I believe it's pre-1873 when Stevenson's Widening proposals were put forward.

been here before
8 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not seen that one before, any date or source?  I believe it's pre-1873 when Stevenson's Widening proposals were put forward.

Has to be after 1863 if thats New Register House. So thats it narrowed to sometime between 1863-1873.

If I've got my bearings right the building on the bottom right is where the GPO building is. This was built between 1861–65.

So pre 1861?

Edited by been here before

ArcticJambo
58 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Image 9.jpeg

It's a crackin' photo ... any date? Apparently the Sinclair Fountain was around until 1926.

ArcticJambo
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Has to be after 1863 if thats New Register House. So thats it narrowed to sometime between 1863-1873.

Sorry, prposals were submitted but bridge reconstruction didnt begin til 1894 supposedly. Still, a good spot with NRH.

ArcticJambo
32 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Sorry, prposals were submitted but bridge reconstruction didnt begin til 1894 supposedly. Still, a good spot with NRH.

Getting mixed up here @been here before Stevenson's widening proposals were implemented March 1873, well according to this interesting we article ...

https://randomscottishhistory.com/2018/03/10/chapter-42-the-north-bridge-pp-334-340/

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

The GPO building was built between 1861 - 1865 so it predates that. Other than that, nothing exact I’m afraid!

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

It's a crackin' photo ... any date? Apparently the Sinclair Fountain was around until 1926.

No, but earlier than 1926. This one must be nearer the removal date going by the vehicular traffic. Apparently the ‘traffic hazard’ was the reason it was moved?

image.jpeg.f12c9ae8bdb934469fe0efc20d1f64c9.jpeg

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Daktari said:

image.thumb.jpeg.936f5a8e67009b481ae50ec189b58135.jpeg

New Register House, 1962 or thereabouts.

I remember when the Eastern Scottish buses went up that wee lane to the right of Register House to get to the bus station. 

image.png.185f25fca1eb9f339fb897e7035de2a7.png

Hearts Vs Airdrie from 1951. George Dingwall played centre-half for Airdrie. Wages were £8 per week, and £2 bonus if they won.
Hearts won the match 3-2.

17 hours ago, Daktari said:

image.jpeg.e7c0e859bd681d0b01dc64123b34332c.jpeg

1947 - Hearts connection?

Clue - apparently there's a Hearts legend in there somewhere.....

ArcticJambo
22 hours ago, Daktari said:

The GPO building was built between 1861 - 1865 so it predates that. Other than that, nothing exact I’m afraid!

22 hours ago, Daktari said:

No, but earlier than 1926. This one must be nearer the removal date going by the vehicular traffic. Apparently the ‘traffic hazard’ was the reason it was moved?

image.jpeg.f12c9ae8bdb934469fe0efc20d1f64c9.jpeg

Thanks, Daktari. :thumbsup:

John Findlay
On 26/02/2024 at 21:39, Daktari said:

IMG_0008.jpeg

North Bridge looking North. Before the Balmoral(North British) hotel was built.

John Findlay
15 hours ago, Daktari said:

I'm going to go for Willie Duff, the goalie far right top row.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm going to go for Willie Duff, the goalie far right top row.

No, but I have to say in my own defence before this goes any further that I’m only as good as the info where I found the photo. It’s apparently Edinburgh schools v leith schools in 1947……. 

John Findlay
19 hours ago, Daktari said:

Hard to tell their ages.

Now going for Ian Crawford.

Edited by John Findlay

Gundermann
On 26/02/2024 at 21:39, Daktari said:

IMG_0008.jpeg

TBH, North Bridge has been like that for the past 3 years or so.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Hard to tell their ages.

Now going for Ian Crawford.

I’ll thin it down even further John, front row third from the left… I’m starting to wonder myself but as I say, I’m just reporting it as I found it so happy to be proven wrong! 

Actually I think Ian Crawford is front right, so you were actually correct although not the one I was referencing. Back to third from the left, front row……..🤔

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Daktari said:

I’ll thin it down even further John, front row third from the left… I’m starting to wonder myself but as I say, I’m just reporting it as I found it so happy to be proven wrong! 

Looking closely at the photos, it looks like two different age groups. Older at the back and younger at the front.

The one in the front row looks like Alex Young, but I thought he went to school in Loanhead.

Edited by John Findlay

ok I’ll cave because I’m heading for hospitality and might forget later. Apparently that wee boy is Dave Mackay ❤️
image.jpeg.19a83e2f46bb104135d650a8fd27ead2.jpeg

I’ve found that on two different sources now, so there’s some corroboration. Also, it seems that might be the Edinburgh and leith combined schools teams, rather that versus each other which makes a bit. Ore sense because as you rightly point out it looks like different age groups. 

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Daktari said:

ok I’ll cave because I’m heading for hospitality and might forget later. Apparently that wee boy is Dave Mackay ❤️

Different age groups then 

Ian Crawford born 1934. Dave MacKay 1937. So he is 10 in the photo if from 1947.

17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Different age groups then 

Ian Crawford born 1934. Dave MacKay 1937. So he is 10 in the photo if from 1947.

Looks about right to be fair. 👍🏻

The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Dave hated that photo. 

Daktari

On this day, 134 years ago, the Forth Bridge was officially opened by HRH The Prince of Wales. Stopping on a special platform on the north connecting girder, he was invited to secure the final rivet – a specially inscribed gilded rivet, using a silver key made by Hamilton and Inches of Edinburgh.

Image 20.jpeg

On 27/02/2024 at 01:26, Daktari said:

image.thumb.jpeg.936f5a8e67009b481ae50ec189b58135.jpeg

New Register House, 1962 or thereabouts.

That's not New Register House, it's General Register House.

New Register House is the Births, Deaths and Marriages one, to the right of the wee path that goes past the Guildford and the side door of the Cafe Royal.

General Register House holds mainly Sasine records and has a Historical Search Room.

On 27/02/2024 at 01:39, davemclaren said:

I remember when the Eastern Scottish buses went up that wee lane to the right of Register House to get to the bus station. 

Is that the wee lane that ran between GRH and the now defunct St James Centre?

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

New Register House is the Births, Deaths and Marriages one, to the right of the wee path that goes past the Guildford and the side door of the Cafe Royal.

General Register House holds mainly Sasine records and has a Historical Search Room.

Is that the wee lane that ran between GRH and the now defunct St James Centre?

Yes. 

Daktari
41 minutes ago, Morgan said:

👍

2 hours ago, Daktari said:

On this day, 134 years ago, the Forth Bridge was officially opened by HRH The Prince of Wales. Stopping on a special platform on the north connecting girder, he was invited to secure the final rivet – a specially inscribed gilded rivet, using a silver key made by Hamilton and Inches of Edinburgh.

Image 20.jpeg

Is that Harry Secombe in a very early edition of Highway?

Daktari

Princes St station being built in the 1890's. The same frontage can still be seen on the Caledonian Hotel.

Image 21.jpeg

Image 07-03-2024 at 18.23.jpeg

periodictabledancer
38 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Princes St station being built in the 1890's. The same frontage can still be seen on the Caledonian Hotel.

Image 21.jpeg

Image 07-03-2024 at 18.23.jpeg

Nice one, haven't seen this before. 

Daktari
21 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Nice one, haven't seen this before. 

I always worry that I'm duplicating posts. I don't have a secret stash or anything, I trawl the web for publicly accessible stuff.  I can usually remember if I've seen one before, but no guarantees!