Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

36 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I think the Duke (or whoever) used Foot and Mouth to stop people crossing over and using the public right of way through the estate.

Lord Rosebury I think the estate was owned by.

I remember as a youngster aged around 12 approx 50 years ago, myself and a few pals would venture along to Cramond at the weekend and make our way over the river Almond, but rather the pay the ferryman (who I think was Polish) to get to the other side, we ventured further up the river and when the tide was out, oaf with the socks and trainers, rolled up our troosers and waded across 😁 then walked all the way along to South Queensferry where would buy some refreshments and jump on a bus home knackered .... Ahh the good auld days.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

287D97C2-4766-45C0-A413-45B3061441FB.jpeg

My father, and I used to do the walk regularly from Cramond, the wee boat across and walk through Lord Roseberry's estate. Into Queensferry then on the SMT bus to St Andrews Square and the tram home. A beautiful Sunday walk, and special because I believe it had been restricted during the war years, my time of doing it would have been the later 1940's. I never done it after that, I turned fifteen in 1950, and spent more time walking Princes Street and the Mound on a Sunday exploring for girls. Without much success.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Morgan said:
4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Morningside Station 1962

9BED9EF1-286B-463C-844E-75BD47902679.jpeg

Expand  

Love this one, RGG.

I still stand on that bridge with my laddie watching the occasional train. My mother did the same with me, and her mother with her.

Heart of Darkness
3 hours ago, pablo said:

I'm a bit surprised this has never been reinstated. Or a more modern version. The area is always busy, and people must want to walk on to South Queensferry? 

Aye it's a bit of a trek to get all the way round via M&C to where you would have gotten off the boat. 🥺

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Lord Rosebury I think the estate was owned by.

I remember as a youngster aged around 12 approx 50 years ago, myself and a few pals would venture along to Cramond at the weekend and make our way over the river Almond, but rather the pay the ferryman (who I think was Polish) to get to the other side, we ventured further up the river and when the tide was out, oaf with the socks and trainers, rolled up our troosers and waded across 😁 then walked all the way along to South Queensferry where would buy some refreshments and jump on a bus home knackered .... Ahh the good auld days.

What a twat he must be to try and keep people off the estate nowadays. I can walk over the Almond on 4 bridges in and around Blackburn.

3fingersreid
12 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Morningside Station 1962

9BED9EF1-286B-463C-844E-75BD47902679.jpeg

The wee laddie on the bridge looks like he’s on his way to dreeping down onto the train 

Seymour M Hersh
On 03/03/2021 at 12:41, Radio Ga Ga said:

5866FBA1-14F6-4CC9-B958-1B3EF3D72344.jpeg

Ah that brings back memories. The olde inn in D Mains. Thats where "the squad" as we called ourselves used to drink (except Sundays). 

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

287D97C2-4766-45C0-A413-45B3061441FB.jpeg

Mr Bidura (excuse the no doubt incorrect spelling) was the ferry master (chap who skulled you across the almond). 

5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Mr Bidura (excuse the no doubt incorrect spelling) was the ferry master (chap who skulled you across the almond). 

I seem to remember when he retired nobody wanted to take it on. 

On 03/03/2021 at 09:59, inspector said:

Is this off one of the lanes off the Gardens? My Dad was born at No.4 and his Dad(my Grandad) had his stonemason's business up one of them, I think. Personally, l never knew these buildings existed

Just a bump for this. I was speaking to my Dad about this, and he was telling me that the Silver Slipper Ballroom was up the lane on the right hand side. He's coming up for 90 so I guess it hasn't been there for 60 odd years if not longer

15 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I still stand on that bridge with my laddie watching the occasional train. My mother did the same with me, and her mother with her.

And I bet, up ‘til about a year ago, you popped into the Belly (Waiting Room’ or the Hermy for a wee shandy or two?  😀

Governor Tarkin
59 minutes ago, Morgan said:

And I bet, up ‘til about a year ago, you popped into the Belly (Waiting Room’ or the Hermy for a wee shandy or two?  😀

Hermie's better with the wee man. :thumbsup:

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I seem to remember when he retired nobody wanted to take it on. 

Not a massive surprise is it. 

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Great Junction Street?

It is

Central Bar in the distance

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It is

Central Bar in the distance

Lived down that way as a student 1982 or therabouts. Had a pint in most of the local boozers including the tam o shanter in the picture.

On 09/03/2021 at 19:27, Radio Ga Ga said:

Liberton Secondary demolition 1987

48F6AB6F-4EE8-4051-91BD-22ACD19E7EF4.jpeg

BF4E537E-CD1D-40E2-AEC0-2B858A095B3A.jpeg

C80E2FC6-DD3D-4F0E-88FA-2DCBC51FF307.jpeg

EC5F1B59-19F7-41E9-8F25-033D2F991DD8.jpeg

The "annexe". Was there 81/82. Looked a lot better in those pics. Mind you, the "Main Building" wasn't much better. 

Edited by westbow

On 12/03/2021 at 14:34, Maroon Sailor said:

20210213_190048.jpg

Grassmarket. About the same time as James Mason starred in Journey to the centre of the Earth. Based in Edinburgh, it featured Grassmarket, The Mound and I think Castlehill.

Seymour M Hersh
On 12/03/2021 at 14:33, Maroon Sailor said:

20210213_190137.jpg

Lauriston Place. Edinburgh Uni (medical department I think) ahead with the Royal Infirmery on the right behind the fence and George Heriot's (gardens) on the left.

3fingersreid
27 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Swanston Road 1914

2BEC76D8-D051-491B-89A6-357EB71CBF94.jpeg

T wood in the distance , Lothianburn golf course to the left , Swanson on the right 

On 13/03/2021 at 21:06, The Frenchman Returns said:

Haymarket

Not history but the old meeting the new.

I was in town for the first time this year just last week and was shocked to see the progress made with the Haymarket site. Hopefully , there's a couple of bars in their as platform 5 gets a bit busy particularly post match.

On 20/02/2021 at 17:01, Radio Ga Ga said:

22070FF5-F580-48DB-B8E6-8F95677964D5.jpeg

This photo has me confused - and I live here! I can’t work out what the wide street in the top left of the picture is. Somewhere in the Dudleys? Any idea how old the photo is?

18 minutes ago, leginten said:

This photo has me confused - and I live here! I can’t work out what the wide street in the top left of the picture is. Somewhere in the Dudleys? Any idea how old the photo is?

Could it be. stanley road.

14 minutes ago, leginten said:

I think it must be Stanley Road.  If you look along the top of the photo there's a rectangular park area and what looks like a church. That would be Craighall Road which meets with Stanley Road.

stan.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I think it must be Stanley Road.  If you look along the top of the photo there's a rectangular park area and what looks like a church. That would be Craighall Road which meets with Stanley Road.

stan.jpg

Cheers. I’ve got it now. At first I was looking at the northern part of Park Road and thinking it was Stanley Road.

wentworth jambo
16 hours ago, leginten said:

Cheers. I’ve got it now. At first I was looking at the northern part of Park Road and thinking it was Stanley Road.

Yep - the row of houses that almost follow the same angle as Stanley Road below it in the picture is Hawthornvale. Used to live in Newhaven Main Street - difference along in front of Annfield is unbelievable.

Edited by wentworth jambo

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

F8329B5A-9F79-482C-A1CE-6875AE38C8BD.jpeg

CCTV as well.😀

I was going to comment about the women but I thought better of it.

Radio Ga Ga
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

CCTV as well.😀

I was going to comment about the women but I thought better of it.

Never noticed the CCTV, as for the women...

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Never noticed the CCTV, as for the women...

Always dressed for the occasion.

15 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Old North Bridge, demolished 1859

FC0477C8-B71F-45D0-A5B1-D8A33444077B.jpeg

Nice one.   I take it that's looking north, with Register House at the back?

Radio Ga Ga
16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Always dressed for the occasion.

Some cracking pins, oh shit, I wasn't going to go there!

Radio Ga Ga
12 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Nice one.   I take it that's looking north, with Register House at the back?

Indeed it is