Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_082804.jpg

Amazing, compared to them now, how manky the art galleries were from the trains.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_082909.jpg

Orchard Ave? Opposite Stew Mel and now has flats (built in the late 80s I think) in front of them. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Pre 1950 the polis still wearing a helmet.

Hanging up his black jacket while wearing his white one

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_181922.jpg

The Classic aka the Scabby La La, a favourite haunt of my Late Dad's growing up in the Southside in the 1930's & 40's

Maroon Sailor

1480788749_20210416_184441.jpg.00d861a4252e28578e0c686b5bb97ed4(1).jpg.a82cbad2651b0feb3fe240b2b1c9e80d.jpg

20210416_200812.thumb.jpg.fdaa6e2ab17f6c82db94f5b82cbb7a69.jpg

What was that Maroon building in front of the bus stop - a pub that changed name ?

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, argyjambo said:

The Classic aka the Scabby La La, a favourite haunt of my Late Dad's growing up in the Southside in the 1930's & 40's

My Dad as well.

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_103005.jpg

I remember this still being worked on in the early 90's. When did these old flats come down? Must have been a long time ago? Was there nothing done for a long time?

Edited by Pap

5 hours ago, argyjambo said:

A wee extra always provided during the movie was the lassie pumping the flea spray over everyone, no bad, a tanner to get in two movies a serial the news and a cartoon , and a trailer and defleaed, best money ever spent. Probably stood in the queue with your dad at sometime, seems we were around the same generation.

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, Pap said:

I remember this still being worked on in the early 90's. When did these old flats come down? Must have been a long time ago? Was there nothing done for a long time?

Came down late 60’s early 70’s with all the other buildings round that way. This was to be one of the interchanges for the inner ring road which was scrapped eventually. 

after that in the run up to potential devolution in 79 , it was to be the new headquarters for bbc Scotland.

when that fell through it lay empty for years before being flogged for the retail / cinema space there is now

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Came down late 60’s early 70’s with all the other buildings round that way. This was to be one of the interchanges for the inner ring road which was scrapped eventually. 

after that in the run up to potential devolution in 79 , it was to be the new headquarters for bbc Scotland.

when that fell through it lay empty for years before being flogged for the retail / cinema space there is now

8 hours ago, Pap said:

20210416_103005.thumb.jpg.15633aa9bbe0ab530b905cd944f6b7f0.jpg.1841c982a7b6f31d34a567736a3a6eab.jpg

I can remember it lying dormant through the 70s and 80s and the Playhouse being refurbished. That always looked like it was going to be demolished as well.

Not sure about the Hospitality Inn that is on that board

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Is that Sciennes primary school? 

Lorne Primary School

12 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

My Dad as well.

Love to say my Dad as well, but as a 15 year old, dressed up to the nines, we tried, usually successfully, to get in. Happy days

Fxxx the SPFL
On 15/04/2021 at 22:54, Governor Tarkin said:

My great grandmother lived round the corner on Claermont Bank. The Stags Head was her local. They used to have a list on the notice board of 'Gracie's sayings'. She was a bevvy merchant but quite the character. It's all changed now, but every time I pop in for a pint after work, I raise my glass to old Grace Salvona. 

Yeah me and the missus drank in the Nags Head (our name) when we moved back to Edinburgh 14 years ago shame when it changed hands a few years back now some fancy bistro bar. i'm sure a few years ago they found a body in the tenement flat there and it was a woman who had been dead for two or three years i think nobody checked on her because she paid everything by direct debit if my memory is right.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_103005.thumb.jpg.15633aa9bbe0ab530b905cd944f6b7f0.jpg.1841c982a7b6f31d34a567736a3a6eab.jpg

I can remember it lying dormant through the 70s and 80s and the Playhouse being refurbished. That always looked like it was going to be demolished as well.

Not sure about the Hospitality Inn that is on that board

Cheers.

It had the covered walkway round it for ages i seem to recall. 

I remember going to a Hibs v Leeds United friendly at Easter Road (Leeds end of course) in the early 90's with some friends. There was trouble afterwards outside the Playhouse. A huge chase ensued and everybody piled into the walkway. Was so funny seeing this slow moving bottleneck of people trying to get to each other :laugh:

Leeds won 2-0. John Lukic saved a penalty also, iirc.

The Real Maroonblood
On 17/04/2021 at 09:42, inspector said:

Love to say my Dad as well, but as a 15 year old, dressed up to the nines, we tried, usually successfully, to get in. Happy days

👍

On 16/04/2021 at 02:32, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_103005.jpg

I saw many movies in the Playhouse and the old Salon. The Playhouse holds one outstanding memory for me.  I was a rookie working out of the police box at Millerhill road and Newcraighall Road. I received a telephone call to report to the Playhouse Cinema in Leith Street and control the queue.  It should be noted I was in A division and the Playhouse was in D. I arrived there and there was a long line up. I walked up and down ensuring that they kept to the outside of the sidewalk. After a while an Inspector and a Sergeant arrived, and spoke to me. They asked why I was there and I proudly told them, they acknowledged I was doing a great job. I got back to my police box and was soon visited by my sergeant and Inspector who reprimanded me severely for leaving my post the victim of a joke,  I think they felt I was punished enough now probably become famous for stupidity in the judgement of two divisions. I was lucky as a probationer not to have been fired right away. Never found out the culprit, and funny enough it was never mentioned to me again, I suspect some serious action would have been taken against the joker.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Heading up Comiston Road towards the Braidburn Park?

That's exactly where it is, with a classsic Saab in the foreground 👍

24 minutes ago, felix said:

With an even more classic vw fastback going past it. 

Maroon Sailor

Golden Bear barber's pole. This was used over a barber's shop in East Register Street

Bear as bear oil was used to grease hair

20210418_205814.jpg.d187f4b763885b0ab334c9eaeb0a9075.jpg

crunchy frog
On 10/04/2021 at 18:11, Mister T said:

I wondered what colour the girl with the spikey hair had so stuck it through a colourisation app. Still none the wiser. 

1618074512176.png

Is that leigh Griffiths dad behind her. Same plappy hair 😃 

1 hour ago, felix said:

1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

I think it is. 

Thanks, it looks a good wee while ago.