Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

been here before
7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. You can see the difference in the arches.  The museum has semi circular ones and Jenners more triangular with a horizontal brace.

The National Museum of Scotland is transformed for 21st century audience |  Culture24Jenners - Wikipedia

Theres also the fact the two of them look nothing like each other.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, been here before said:

To be fair, some people might have looked at the original photo and thought, ' That Jenners had a good range of fountains.' 

JudyJudyJudy
23 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

It seems obvious, but is this Jenners before internal changes?

Its the museum surely?

16 hours ago, been here before said:

To be honest, I thought it was Jenner’s too.  

29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210412_152910.jpg

Junction at Bonnington Road/ Pilrig Street. It must be them taking down the railway bridge.

been here before
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Junction at Bonnington Road/ Pilrig Street. It must be them taking down the railway bridge.

Awww man I thought that was the inside of Jenners

:facepalm:

On 11/04/2021 at 14:25, Radio Ga Ga said:

2090CD9A-D43F-4E63-876A-C76EE1BA995E.jpeg

Tremendous photo. Googled William Orr out of interest, turns out he was the grandfather of the founder of McSween of haggis fame. McSween himself worked in the shop pictured.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Awww man I thought that was the inside of Jenners

:facepalm:

There's nae fountain things ya daftie.

Mars plastic

Tremendous pics from the Sailor fellah and other contributors. This thread has to be one of the finest things I've ever seen on the internet. 

39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210415_085912.jpg

The Edinburgh Public Analyst was at one time down that street, next to the BOC lorry and down at flight of stairs. Can't remember the name of the street unfortunately

8 minutes ago, inspector said:

The Edinburgh Public Analyst was at one time down that street, next to the BOC lorry and down at flight of stairs. Can't remember the name of the street unfortunately

Cranston Street

3fingersreid
50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210415_085912.jpg

9 minutes ago, inspector said:

Cranston Street ? 

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210414_194622.jpg

Ironic one of the intermediate stops on the bus had Bridges

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210414_194622.jpg

Funny I have a picture of me taking notes at the rail bridge over the entrance to Newcraighall. It was a bus chartered for a group of Sunday school children he then dropped them off at the miners institute and decided to go under the bridge to get further down and return to the bus garage in Leith. My scanner for some reason won't work and Iam no sure how to post picture anyway. I also have a picture of me in the High Street when the Queen and the King of Norway are in a horse drawn carriage and the Queen is obviously saying. Oh Olaf theres Boab.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Funny I have a picture of me taking notes at the rail bridge over the entrance to Newcraighall. It was a bus chartered for a group of Sunday school children he then dropped them off at the miners institute and decided to go under the bridge to get further down and return to the bus garage in Leith. My scanner for some reason won't work and Iam no sure how to post picture anyway. I also have a picture of me in the High Street when the Queen and the King of Norway are in a horse drawn carriage and the Queen is obviously saying. Oh Olaf theres Boab.

I was on a Hearts supporters bus going down to an away match at Berwick. It was a double decker (Radio Forth advertised all over it). We came to this bridge and the driver didn't fancy getting under it so it took a bit of time to get the bus turned the other way. Think we still made it for kick off

WorldChampions1902
On 29/03/2021 at 18:26, Maroon Sailor said:

20210329_182540.jpg

This is definitely Broughton Road where it meets Rodney Street. My old stomping ground. The Stags Head on corner bottom right and Willie Lows Supermarket before it became Tesco’s in foreground.

15468D4D-8183-4775-A274-0E29E36097F8.jpeg

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

This is definitely Broughton Road where it meets Rodney Street. My old stomping ground. The Stags Head on corner bottom right and Willie Lows Supermarket before it became Tesco’s in foreground.

15468D4D-8183-4775-A274-0E29E36097F8.jpeg

My great grandmother lived round the corner on Claermont Bank. The Stags Head was her local. They used to have a list on the notice board of 'Gracie's sayings'. She was a bevvy merchant but quite the character. It's all changed now, but every time I pop in for a pint after work, I raise my glass to old Grace Salvona. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Carl Fredrickson
23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210416_082753.jpg

That is a memory of the zoo from my childhood. Couldnt believe that I was so close to a polar bear. So glad that the zoo now have the polar bears at the Highland Wildlife Park where they have a lot more space.