Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Does this qualify as Edinburgh’s history, looks like it was taken yesterday.

Pretty historic if there isn't a car or taxi in sight !

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Pretty historic if there isn't a car or taxi in sight !

It's part of my historic Edinburgh, as it's a photo of Croft-an-Righ in recent times. I used this street as my route to Holyrood park from Abbeyhill,   for various leisure pursuits such as football, tennis and throwing tuffets at courting couples further up Arthur's Seat.

In those days, it was almost exclusively Scottish & Newcastle breweries mostly used for storage I think, I also remember a market garden on the left before the entrance to the park. This would have been early to late 1960's

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

Shanks said no
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0_groups_and_outings_snow_white_laundry_1952_sw00_coach_outing.jpg.afa8fd582b3ca9529833cd5a47acbb4a.jpg

0_groups_and_outings_snow_white_laundry_1952_sw003.jpg

When I looked at the coach trip photo one of the ladies looks awfully like my granny. Then I searched and it’s the Snow White laundry in Longstone. Yes she was a laundress and yes she lived in Gorgie / Hutchison. I always thought she worked in the store laundry though. 

Will have to some digging now, problem is everyone is dead as it was taken in 1952 I think 

Shanks said no
25 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

When I looked at the coach trip photo one of the ladies looks awfully like my granny. Then I searched and it’s the Snow White laundry in Longstone. Yes she was a laundress and yes she lived in Gorgie / Hutchison. I always thought she worked in the store laundry though. 

Will have to some digging now, problem is everyone is dead as it was taken in 1952 I think 

Edit - the actual laundry was in Saughton - anyone know where? - I remember the one on Hutchison Rd and I assumed she worked there.

43 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Brilliant if it is your Granny.

Keep hoping someday one of my lot might appear in some of these photos, maybe they have, as there was a photo taken in Bakehouse Close c.1890's with some people in it, one of my families lived there at the time, there is no way of ever knowing for sure if it's my lot or not.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Maroon Sailor, where do you get all these photos from?

Just by searching the net

Shanks said no
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Brilliant if it is your Granny.

Keep hoping someday one of my lot might appear in some of these photos, maybe they have, as there was a photo taken in Bakehouse Close c.1890's with some people in it, one of my families lived there at the time, there is no way of ever knowing for sure if it's my lot or not.

My wife has independently verified the same woman is my Granny, no prompting, just can you see her in that photo, Mrs says its definitely her.

Huge thank you to @Maroon Sailor

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just by searching the net

Oh, and here was me hoping that you has access to some secret stash of photos.  :whistling:  :lol:

Maroon Sailor
42 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

My wife has independently verified the same woman is my Granny, no prompting, just can you see her in that photo, Mrs says its definitely her.

Huge thank you to @Maroon Sailor

Nice One ! 🙂👍

Maroon Sailor

Princes Street station is a strange one.

Did they build around it or did they squeeze it in to that corner ?

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Seymour M Hersh

Well I thought I had added a post asking if anyone knew anything about a golf club (long gone) at Cammo. The clubhouse was on Cammo road and has recently been knocked down and a rather splendid house erected in it's stead. I used to have many friends in the area and was there a lot but I had never heard of a golf club being there. I've found some info about it so if anyone is interested.

https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/scotland-63/scotland-central-east/edinburgh/138-cramond-brig-golf-club-cammo-edinburgh

annushorribilis III
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This must be somewhere in Granton

i874288.jpg

There were a lot of prefabs opposite the old gas works around Pennywell Rd. I had family who were staying in prefabs there in the early 1960s.  

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

Got a (rough) date for this one ?

Late 1870's

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

Got a (rough) date for this one ?

About 1896. The photo shows the dismantling of the old North Bridge. 

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

There were a lot of prefabs opposite the old gas works around Pennywell Rd. I had family who were staying in prefabs there in the early 1960s.  

I thought that but the 19 never went that far along. It went down Crewe Road/north.

I'm.thonking its maybe along the end of Boswall parkway/wardie crescent?

15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This must be somewhere in Granton

i874288.jpg

11 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

Here's another still from the video 'A Letter from Edinburgh' on the NLS site.  It says it's Pilton, though you can see the Granton gas holders.

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-4.png

Looks like West Granton road.

Turn right at the roundabout at the bottom of Pennywell road ?

i can’t recall the 19 going along there either.

Maroon Sailor
17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20191127_170022.jpg

This was listed as the Stenhouse area but I'm not seeing it.

17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This was listed as the Stenhouse area but I'm not seeing it.

If you start with the speedway track / greyhound track bottom left , the road heading up to the top of the picture will be Stenhouse Drive , first crossroads is Stenhouse Crescent  , the second is where the roundabout , Stenhouse cross is .

The long road running from bottom right to middle left on the picture is Gorgie road .

On the right edge of the picture is Saughton enclosure and Whitson above it .

The big road in the bottom centre of the picture is Chesser Ave .

Hope that helps a bit ? Thanks for posting , I can see my house in this picture 👍🏻

Edited by 3fingersreid