23 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Think it might have been Rodney Street.

Correct it was demolished in 1983.

Maroon Sailor

Army sea-sickness training. Seen more ripples in a bath tub

IMG_3098.JPG

On 25/05/2019 at 00:00, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3084.JPG

That is Causewayside,  at the junction with Preston St. Bertram's Sciennes, in the background. My grandparents along with my dad lived at 22 Causeways ide a few yards to the left of this picture

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

That is Causewayside,  at the junction with Preston St. Bertram's Sciennes, in the background. My grandparents along with my dad lived at 22 Causeways ide a few yards to the left of this picture

The shop that is motor sales I think at one time was Sandys chip shop. Somewhere close to that corner a man lived who was the last man to be sentenced to hang in Scotland. His crime satisfied the evidence for hanging, commited a murder while breaking in to a house. He was not executed as the legislation came in while he was in prison awaiting the sentence to be carried out and it was cancelled. That wee area was a big factor in my childhood.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

What was Bertrams ?

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Steel works

Thanks

Not many of those around the UK now

On 26/05/2019 at 14:36, Maroon Sailor said:

What was Bertrams ?

Bertram's as I recall, manufactured printing presses and associated machinery. My father -in-law was a good friend of one of the directors. That good friend also turned out was in the same boys brigade unit as my father.

On 26/05/2019 at 13:54, bobsharp said:

The shop that is motor sales I think at one time was Sandys chip shop. Somewhere close to that corner a man lived who was the last man to be sentenced to hang in Scotland. His crime satisfied the evidence for hanging, commited a murder while breaking in to a house. He was not executed as the legislation came in while he was in prison awaiting the sentence to be carried out and it was cancelled. That wee area was a big factor in my childhood.

My Dad who is eighty this year grew up in Gladstone Terrace and married my Mum who was from Mansionhouse Road.Her Dad was the Minister at South College St.Kirk.

The chippy he reminisces about is Franco's in Summerhall Place.

I was born and baptised (against my will) in a top floor flat in Marchmont Road.

From time to time I visit the area and can still see the cricket stumps he carved into a tree in the Meadows around 1948.

59 minutes ago, jb102 said:

My Dad who is eighty this year grew up in Gladstone Terrace and married my Mum who was from Mansionhouse Road.Her Dad was the Minister at South College St.Kirk.

The chippy he reminisces about is Franco's in Summerhall Place.

I was born and baptised (against my will) in a top floor flat in Marchmont Road.

From time to time I visit the area and can still see the cricket stumps he carved into a tree in the Meadows around 1948.

Your dad is about four years younger than I, which in our boyhood days was  lightyears  from each other. I don't recall Francos chip shop, ours were of course Sandys, one down in Summerhall Rizis run by two sisters, and Dicksons opposite Braid Place. My wife and I were married at South College Street Church in 1960.

8 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Your dad is about four years younger than I, which in our boyhood days was  lightyears  from each other. I don't recall Francos chip shop, ours were of course Sandys, one down in Summerhall Rizis run by two sisters, and Dicksons opposite Braid Place. My wife and I were married at South College Street Church in 1960.

Rizis, thats the one.It is now called Franco's.

I remember a huge fire at Bertram's that was probably the end of it in about 1980.

Montgomery Brewster
12 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I’m sure my old man used to say greasy rizis started life on the other side of the street which would tie in with bobs recollections. It moved when that building was demolished and flats built. 

There was also another chippy just down from Bertram’s called walters. Long gone now. Was on the wee street called sciennes just up from the wee corner shop at the meadows opposite the dick vet.

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3924.JPG

Classic picture. Used to get off at this stop regularly and toddle up the hill to the west mains allotments with my grandad. Other times get off at the stop round the corner and head into the wee corner shop for grandads mints. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3926.JPG

Remember when my cousin worked in St Cuthberts shoe shop.

Just next to it there was a pub called “Wee Anderson’s.”

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_3924.JPG

Any idea when this was?  I lived in a flat in the centre of the picture, on Blackford Avenue, in 1981 for a few months. I'm sure the garage was gone by then.

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Any idea when this was?  I lived in a flat in the centre of the picture, on Blackford Avenue, in 1981 for a few months. I'm sure the garage was gone by then.

I've a feeling it was in the late 60's

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

I've a feeling it was in the late 60's

Thanks. The flats on the site of the garage certainly look from around that time.

Jambo-Jimbo
43 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

The car sitting on the forecourt looks like a Morris 1100 or a version thereof, they started production in 1962 and ended in 1974, so the picture is most likely within that time frame or at best a few years after 1974 ish.

Stuart Lyon
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Remember when my cousin worked in St Cuthberts shoe shop.

Just next to it there was a pub called “Wee Anderson’s.”

Wee Anderson's.jpeg

luckyBatistuta

All on or looking on to the Cowgate

924AF9B0-F5CD-4866-84FC-1F758F3D1DDA.jpeg

B453E553-CB88-45C0-A9E8-1F7A0BBD82BF.jpeg Guthrie Street

471AD17D-BFCF-4E05-AB48-96F5006D05C8.jpeg

FF78C83F-5872-437E-8E84-FE71A560CB13.jpeg

6571B880-1B00-4B3E-9CBC-D86577779196.jpeg

1FE0DF16-FC7F-4096-B874-AE634B8D1397.jpeg

High School Wynd

BCE98039-2FC0-4A56-9C8B-1E0F9748EA72.jpeg

19BC7782-D7DA-4B74-8F37-9703A21648DD.jpeg

FA241A3F-F6EA-43B3-9BB6-F7A1ECD6F89C.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Stuart Lyon
4 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Wee Anderson's.jpeg

A better view of Wee Anderson's when it was the Richmond Bar owned by J Anderson circa 1925 I think. What is now the Southsider was previously called the New Richmond Bar.

Wee Anderson's.jpeg

Stuart Lyon
Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

A better view of Wee Anderson's when it was the Richmond Bar owned by J Anderson circa 1925 I think. What is now the Southsider was previously called the New Richmond Bar.

Wee Anderson's.jpeg

Oops wrong photo

Richmond Bar.jpeg