So who's next then

wanderer

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Reading between the lines of CL interviews and comments, we're definitely going to sign Ali Crawford. 

I think CL would like to sign him and the trial period is to see how fit he is.  If he comes through the challenging 1st two weeks of preseason training with flying colours I reckon he will be signed.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

• Alex Kintner

• Juanjo15

Cruyff Turn
12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think CL would like to sign him and the trial period is to see how fit he is.  If he comes through the challenging 1st two weeks of preseason training with flying colours I reckon he will be signed.

Yeah, I think it's to see if he can cope with the levels that will now be the requirement. The levels of pressing we saw when we pumped Celtic will hopefully become the norm next season and everyone needs to be at that level to accomplish that, probably why we have enough midfielders to start a different side each week. 

Also think he's maybe hoping to shift a few but brought him in just now to ensure that no other club would sign him. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yeah, I think it's to see if he can cope with the levels that will now be the requirement. The levels of pressing we saw when we pumped Celtic will hopefully become the norm next season and everyone needs to be at that level to accomplish that, probably why we have enough midfielders to start a different side each week. 

Also think he's maybe hoping to shift a few but brought him in just now to ensure that no other club would sign him. 

Having a HMFC training top on doesn’t stop anyone signing him 

Cruyff Turn
8 minutes ago, ericb said:

Having a HMFC training top on doesn’t stop anyone signing him 

It doesn't but if we left him as a free agent rather than taken him in to train with us, he may have been inclined to go else where, whether we had shown an interest or not.

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Get that Knudsen in or someone else in for the long throws

Ipswich will be rubbing their hands together 

Escobar PHM
25 minutes ago, 1874KRM said:

Naismith hopefully confirmed this week, who’s next? Any news on a milinkovic replacement yet? 

Possibly Crawford was earmarked for that, but I see he's tweaked his hamstring last week and missed  some training. That doesn't bode well considering he was here to have his general state of health tested.

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Possibly Crawford was earmarked for that, but I see he's tweaked his hamstring last week and missed  some training. That doesn't bode well considering he was here to have his general state of health tested.

I seen that, hopefully plays tonight. Hoping we sign more of a wide player. We desperately need someone that hits the byline 

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, 1874KRM said:

I seen that, hopefully plays tonight. Hoping we sign more of a wide player. We desperately need someone that hits the byline 

I don't think Levein is really committed to playing with 2 wide on either side (wing/full backs and wingers) It would be a huge leap of faith. I'll be happy enough if both wing backs can deliver a cross, even if they are not hitting the bye line. Of course Mulraney and Burns are both pacey wide players who we might see a bit of. Yeh we need a player like Boyle or Barker (but with better final product) Just having a quick wide player in the team forces teams to defend differently against you.

BelgeJambo

I guess we will know by the weekend if Silva is going to be signed up or are there any ITK on another goalkeeping option

Leeds released a goalkeeper -  Andy Lonnergan

rudi must stay
53 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I guess we will know by the weekend if Silva is going to be signed up or are there any ITK on another goalkeeping option

Leeds released a goalkeeper -  Andy Lonnergan

I think the second choice keeper will be alot younger, and one for the future 

Gulf Jambo
18 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

End of the window I reckon. When does the US season end?  

Don't think it matters for him as he is or was at a University team.

Should be available straight away if we want him.

Sounds good from what's been said so far. See how he does at the weekend

26 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Don't think it matters for him as he is or was at a University team.

Should be available straight away if we want him.

Sounds good from what's been said so far. See how he does at the weekend

Sorry I wasn’t talking about our trialist mate.  Heard we are after someone else ready for Europe. 

rudi must stay

Jamie Borthwick and Barry Anderson just started following Kevin Silva...

On twitter. No knowledge if they are following him, probably are to be honest

Edited by rudi must stay

Alex Kintner
38 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Jamie Borthwick and Barry Anderson just started following Kevin Silva...

On twitter. No knowledge if they are following him, probably are to be honest

That doesn’t make sense bud?

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

That doesn’t make sense bud?

I was saying they were following him on twitter. Then edited it, put in what I thought was a funny comment. Had a few beers to be honest. Just think it's interesting they now follow him

Hungry hippo
5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I was saying they were following him on twitter. Then edited it, put in what I thought was a funny comment. Had a few beers to be honest. Just think it's interesting they now follow him

Standard for journalists to follow potential transfer targets.

Levein has said another goalie and somebody else instead of Milinkovic since we lost out on him.

And we know we are waiting to see about Mitchell

All seems pretty clear.

I’m still not convinced Mitchell is a defender. A bit like dr funk, great going forward and some shot on him. Just saying .... 

7 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I’m still not convinced Mitchell is a defender. A bit like dr funk, great going forward and some shot on him. Just saying .... 

Doesn’t look like we’ll be playing him as a defender, more a wing back.

Which based on last season he was a lot more effective at.

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I agree, always felt defensively he was never too comfortable and got away with it in quite a few games.

Cruyff Turn
1 hour ago, CAR said:

Interesting article anyone else think we might look at adding another right wingback?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/where-hearts-may-look-next-after-signing-steven-naismith-1-4766208

Statement of the obvious but Full back and wing back are different positions, all our right sided full backs bar Brandon, are more defensive players. 

Brandon has played right mid and right wing so is perhaps more comfortable doing both attacking and defending. Godinho could maybe adapt to that position too as he's quite comfortable in the ball but both him and Brandon have long term injuries and are still fairly inexperienced.

M.Smith is not a wing back, he is a defensive player and is maybe better suited to DM, RCB and naturally RB and L.Smith is a full back. 

On the other side of the park, Garuccio's stats from last season say he can adapt to that position, his passing and crossing stats were very good. Mitchell is a proper left wing back and understand's what is required to play that position.  

So it would not surprise me at all if we brought in a natural right wing back along with a left winger, Vanecek, Mitchell and a Goalie. 

I'd be happy for us to pay 800k or so for Chris Cadden of Motherwell, as he's a natural in that position. 

19/05/2012

Think we still need a backup keeper, left back, defensive midfielder, winger and striker then we will be done for the window

1 minute ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Think we still need a backup keeper, left back, defensive midfielder, winger and striker then we will be done for the window

This is exactly where I’m at too.

Fubar_Stef

I'm not too sure that Levein likes wingers but we could definitely use a couple!

I think it's pretty safe to say that Amankwaa isn't good enough and with Milinkovic gone,  this seems to be the most important position to fill, in my eyes anyway. 

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Fubar_Stef said:

I'm not too sure that Levein likes wingers but we could definitely use a couple!

I think it's pretty safe to say that Amankwaa isn't good enough and with Milinkovic gone,  this seems to be the most important position to fill, in my eyes anyway. 

Amankwaa won't be here past January. 

Fubar_Stef
7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Amankwaa won't be here past January. 

Hopefully he's not here past tomorrow, along with Martin and Sammon.

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Fubar_Stef said:

Hopefully he's not here past tomorrow, along with Martin and Sammon.

Deal to the end of the season. See no reason why he'd be released. He has potential if you look at his career IMO

Edited by rudi must stay

Fubar_Stef
Just now, rudi must stay said:

Deal to the end of the season. See no reason why he'd be released. He has potential if you look at his career

He won't be released and there's still the smallest of chances he'll come good. It's getting smaller by the day though. 

I'm just hopeful there are clubs out there that will take the 3 of them off our hands. 

Silva, Demi, Vanecek plus a winger and that'll be us imo, still think we need a proper holding player but we've got far too many centre mids now

Need a winger definitely. Someone who gets to the bye line and can cross for the big man. Give him service and he’ll lap it up. Stating the bleeding obvious right enough but it’s a must have position to be filled

5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Silva, Demi, Vanecek plus a winger and that'll be us imo, still think we need a proper holding player but we've got far too many centre mids now

Hopefully we can move Martin, Cowie and Callachan on and that gives us space to get a proper DM.

18 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Deal to the end of the season. See no reason why he'd be released. He has potential if you look at his career IMO

Didnt he sign a three year deal or 2.5? 

Fubar_Stef
3 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Didnt he sign a three year deal or 2.5? 

Pretty sure he's got a 3 year, aye. 

Just now, Fubar_Stef said:

1 year extension if wanted to the 18 months I think.  Not as much of a disaster then. 

Fubar_Stef
1 minute ago, bistokid said:

It was 18 months. 

You're right. 

Glad to be wrong on this one lol

rudi must stay
20 minutes ago, Fubar_Stef said:

18 month deal. Sure of it. This season is make or break for him, no nice way of saying it he has to significantly improve

Fubar_Stef
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

18 month deal. Sure of it. This season is make or break for him, no nice way of saying it he has to significantly improve

From what i've seen, He is very good with his feet but seems to be an absolute bottle merchant. Not someone that actually wants the ball. 

I've not seen any of the blistering pace he was meant to have. 

Saint Jambo

If we're playing a 5-3-2 with wing backs and a player (Naismith) in the hole behind the front two, I'm not sure I see where a winger fits. Equally with 3 centre backs I'm not sure you need a classic defensive midfielder as your third centre back (Souttar) should be filling that role a lot of the time. Some of the creativity lost elsewhere comes from having two playmakers in central midfield behind an attacking midfielder. That would certainly be feasible with our squad. On that basis I'd say that along with goalie, left wing back and the striker who are all clearly on the cards, the position we look shortest is actually central defender where we have 4 players for 3 positions before you start getting on to very raw youngsters and full backs out of position.

The lack of wingers is more an issue about being able to change the formation when necessary and we have a couple of reserve wingers now. I get the argument about not having a right wing back but think we will see our 4 right backs asked to prove they can play in that more advanced role.

The Apprentice

It may sound harsh and I’m basing this purely on the 60-odd mins he was on the park on Sunday, but I’d be surprised if Silva was signed as backup keeper. Competition for Mason in the reserves and see how he does perhaps but thought he looked shaky at the goal and doesn’t appear very dominant or vocal whatsoever. 

Clerry Jambo

Levein may hang fire just now, try and get rid of some deadwood to free up wages and maybe grab a better quality goalie or whatever