• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

• Alex Kintner

• Juanjo15

HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME

Said this for the past couple season’s but we really missed out on Marc McNulty guaranteed goal scorer. People saying Wes Hoolahan a possibility? Wouldn’t knock it but strange considering his age possible replacement if Cowie goes perhaps. Would like to see Demetri Mitchell back and a strong CDM to break up play also a left sided winger would be ideal.

some free agents worth mentioning also that are available may be slightly out of our transfer budget however. 

- James Morrison.

- Emilio Izaguirre.

- Marc Wilson.

- Jeremy Toulalan.

- Gabriel Agbonlahor.

- Stephen Ireland

- Darren Bent

- Jamie Mackie

- Victor Anchibe.

think most of those players are wishful thinking especially with the influx of players but just show some there is loads of availability.

from that list ideally Jamie Mackie, James Morrison, & Jeremy Toulalan possibly Bent, or Agbonlahor would fit nicely into the team but be interesting to see who they go too.

Alex Kintner
27 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Said this for the past couple season’s but we really missed out on Marc McNulty guaranteed goal scorer. People saying Wes Hoolahan a possibility? Wouldn’t knock it but strange considering his age possible replacement if Cowie goes perhaps. Would like to see Demetri Mitchell back and a strong CDM to break up play also a left sided winger would be ideal.

some free agents worth mentioning also that are available may be slightly out of our transfer budget however. 

- James Morrison.

- Emilio Izaguirre.

- Marc Wilson.

- Jeremy Toulalan.

- Gabriel Agbonlahor.

- Stephen Ireland

- Darren Bent

- Jamie Mackie

- Victor Anchibe.

think most of those players are wishful thinking especially with the influx of players but just show some there is loads of availability.

from that list ideally Jamie Mackie, James Morrison, & Jeremy Toulalan possibly Bent, or Agbonlahor would fit nicely into the team but be interesting to see who they go too.

If we’re playing 3 at the back Most of the time then a dedicated defensive midfielder would be a waste of a salary I reckon. With a back three you want your middle CB to sweep and step forward with the ball and it negates the need for a dedicated holding midfielder. If there are games where we go ultra defensive then one might be needed buy I think Haring can play in that position and M.Smith has been very good in that role too.

Escobar PHM
27 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

If we’re playing 3 at the back Most of the time then a dedicated defensive midfielder would be a waste of a salary I reckon. With a back three you want your middle CB to sweep and step forward with the ball and it negates the need for a dedicated holding midfielder. If there are games where we go ultra defensive then one might be needed buy I think Haring can play in that position and M.Smith has been very good in that role too.

Hmmmm. Maybe you should tell Craig Levein that little gem, considering he played Adao in front of a back 3 whenever he could last season

Edited by Escobar PHM

11 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Hmmmm. Maybe you should tell Craig Levein that little gem, considering he played Adao in front of a back 3 whenever he could last season

Last season's midfield weren't exactly biasing games so giving the defence a little more protection wasn't a bad idea imo. 

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, Cigaro said:

Last season's midfield weren't exactly biasing games so giving the defence a little more protection wasn't a bad idea imo. 

I expect Levein to play with a holding midfield player in front of a back 3 all season, even at home.

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Ali Lawrie said:

If we are set on playing 3/5 at the back then arguably we should perhaps  sign another centre half. Currently have 4 for 3 positions. Levein has already said that Zlamal and the back 3 of Souttar, Haring and Berra will be the starting options, so if there was a signing they would be more of a backup option. 

Chris Hamilton should be the 5th. Or Daniel Baur.

Famous 1874
12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Chris Hamilton should be the 5th. Or Daniel Baur.

Like the look of Chris Hamilton, not really sure about Baur

8 hours ago, sadj said:

Only 32 ? feels like he’s been around since the 80s ? not sure hes ex Livi though ??

I had no idea he was only 32. Thought he was older than that when he was at West Ham. Good player in his day.

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I had no idea he was only 32. Thought he was older than that when he was at West Ham. Good player in his day.

Swap deal with his chinese club for Cowie? 

Just now, sadj said:

Swap deal with his chinese club for Cowie? 

Note the low post count of the OP but I'm never one for poo pooing a good rumour.

48 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Like the look of Chris Hamilton, not really sure about Baur

I’d imagine that Hughes will be the back up with Baur/Petkov/Hamilton playing more for the Reserve team if they’re not out on loan.

not sure how much first team game time the youngsters will get this season, probably more in the academy teams and reserve league.  

17 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Note the low post count of the OP but I'm never one for poo pooing a good rumour.

That was the first thing i looked at and the quality of the posts , im going to go with having a laugh hence a swap deal for Cowie

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

We played 3-4-3 during those matches so with only two in the middle of the park you need a more defensive minded player. 3-4-1-2 means an extra central player so you don’t need a DM. The standard of the players available makes a huge difference as well. 

Escobar PHM
9 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

We played 3-4-3 during those matches so with only two in the middle of the park you need a more defensive minded player. 3-4-1-2 means an extra central player so you don’t need a DM. The standard of the players available makes a huge difference as well. 

You must be going to different games than I went to last season.

Almost without exception we played a back 3 with wing backs making it a 5 defensively and to give some width when we had the ball. In midfield we had Adao holding with 2 in front of him, sometimes 3, and usually 1 up front, either on his own and sometimes with 1 off him or wide of him, and very occasionally we'd switch to 2 up front. If we couldn't play a back 3 because of personnel available we switched to a back 4 with 2 holders in front of them. 4-2-3-1 usually.

Cant think of a game we played 3-4-3. I wasn't there if we did.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Almost without exception we played a back 3 with wing backs making it a 5 defensively and to give some width when we had the ball. In midfield we had Adao holding with 2 in front of him, sometimes 3, and usually 1 up front with 1 off him or wide of him, and very occasionally we'd switch to 2 up front.

Scratch that. Forgot we had a back four that day

Edited by Frank1874

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Almost without exception we played a back 3 with wing backs making it a 5 defensively and to give some width when we had the ball. In midfield we had Adao holding with 2 in front of him, sometimes 3, and usually 1 up front with 1 off him or wide of him, and very occasionally we'd switch to 2 up front.

We played plenty games with 3 at the back and 3 up front. Quite often it was Cowie pushed wide on the right and either Milinkovic/Naismith/Moore/MacDonald wide on the left

Escobar PHM
12 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

So you missed the 4-0 pumping of Celtic? Great game. Tactical masterclass by Levein that day.

No I didn't miss it. And we didn't play 3-4-3 that day either.

We were 4-2-3-1 with a high line and a high press from the midfield 3

Edited by Escobar PHM

Tennant's  6's
10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Hoolihan then. Makes sense that rumour having just brought in Steven Naismith, might well have been asked. He is a clever player, seen enough to suggest he'd do well for us

he'd be terrific, hope that it's not just a name that's just been thrown out there.  

a creative ball playing midfielder like Hoolihan would definitely help us deal with most of the dross in the league, 3-4-1-2, take the game to the other teams..

Stupid Sexy Flanders
10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Griffith's future is interesting.  Doubt if he'll be prepared to play 2nd fiddle for much longer.  My guess is that he'll be at a premiership club this time next year.

Wouldn't have thought he'd go to another Premiership club if he leaves Celtic, more likely to head back down south. Unless he decides he's earned enough money & wants to end his career at Hibs. 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

No I didn't miss it. And we didn't play 3-4-3 that day either.

We were 4-2-3-1 with a high press from the midfield 3

Yeah already edited it. Forgot we had a back four that day.

If all goes well I think we'll be looking at:

Zlamal 

Haring

Souttar 

Berra

Godhino

Lee

Bozanic

Mitchell

Naismith 

Lafferty 

Ikpeazu 

With a back up of

New keeper

L.Smith

M.Smith 

Hughes 

Garuccio 

Djoum

Cochrane 

Edwards

New winger

Vanecek 

Mulraney 

With a further back up of

Mason

Brandon 

Hamilton 

Baur

Youth left back? 

Mcdonald

Burns

Irving

Moore 

Keena

MacLean

Leaving Cowie, Callachan, Sammon, Martin, Amankwaa surplus to requirements

Also Zanatta, Morrison, Currie and Petkov are at that funny in between age where they need to show that they can play some part or be moved on, as is Moore to an extent. We've got a host of very talented 16 year olds knocking on the door who can over take these lads if they're not careful 

Does anyone know if we have any left backs in the academy at present? 

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Yeah already edited it. Forgot we had a back four that day.

We might actually see a bold front 3 at times at home this season judging by some of the signings he'll need to give game time to.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Zlamal 

Haring

Souttar 

Berra

Godhino

Lee

Bozanic

Mitchell

Naismith 

Lafferty 

Ikpeazu 

With a back up of

New keeper

L.Smith

M.Smith 

Hughes 

Garuccio 

Djoum

Cochrane 

Edwards

New winger

Vanecek 

Mulraney 

Mason

Brandon 

Hamilton 

Baur

Youth left back? 

Mcdonald

Burns

Irving

Moore 

Keena

MacLean

Also Zanatta, Morrison, Currie and Petkov are at that funny in between age where they need to show that they can play some part or be moved on, as is Moore to an extent. We've got a host of very talented 16 year olds knocking on the door who can over take these lads if they're not careful 

MacLean will start more often than Izpeachu I reckon

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

We might actually see a front 3 at times at home this season judging by some of the signings he'll need to give game time to.

Not sure about that. Looks like a straightforward two up top and a no10 behind going by the three pre-season friendlies  

We are also trying to negotiate Vanecek to come before Jan. If that happens I think its fair to assume that Keena, Zanatta and Currie will be going out on loan.

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Zlamal 

Haring

Souttar 

Berra

Godhino

Lee

Bozanic

Mitchell

Naismith 

Lafferty 

Ikpeazu 

With a back up of

New keeper

L.Smith

M.Smith 

Hughes 

Garuccio 

Djoum

Cochrane 

Edwards

New winger

Vanecek 

Mulraney 

Mason

Brandon 

Hamilton 

Baur

Youth left back? 

Mcdonald

Burns

Irving

Moore 

Keena

MacLean

No godhino due to iinjury. Garrucio has played well so far, nothing to say he could be replaced. Mitchell also would be brilliant business

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Not sure about that. Looks like a straightforward two up top and a no10 behind going by the three pre-season friendlies  

I think we'll sign a first choice winger and SOMETIMES we'll play him up front with 2 strikers.(and 4 at the back so 4-3-3)

We looked best last season when Milinkovic was wide and on his game.

This assumes the midfield trio/pairing we settle on is way better than we were in that area last season. (Lee and Naismith mibbe)

Who knows. So many options but I'd really like to us to get on the front foot more at home and cut the daft draws out.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I think we'll sign a first choice winger and SOMETIMES we'll play him up front with 2 strikers.(and 4 at the back so 4-3-3)

We looked best last season when Milinkovic was wide and on his game.

This assumes the midfield trio/pairing we settle on is way better than we were in that area last season. (Lee and Naismith mibbe)

Who knows. So many options but I'd really like to us to get on the front foot more at home and cut the daft draws out.

Definitely good to have plenty options compared to last season :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

No godhino due to iinjury. Garrucio has played well so far, nothing to say he could be replaced. Mitchell also would be brilliant business

Of course with each injury you could move each player up a team, Smith comes into right back etc. 

You know what I'm on a roll :lol:

Here's a fourth XI

Keeper? 

Sandison

Petkov

Gajda

Left back? 

Amankwaa 

Cowie

Callachan 

Morrison

Zanatta 

Currie

Still no room for Martin and Sammon, could stick them in with the under 16s and have ourselves a mini tourney 

Edited by BigAlim

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Of course with each injury you could move each player up a team, Smith comes into right back etc. 

Here's a fourth XI

Keeper? 

Sandison

Petkov

Gajda

Left back? 

Amankwaa 

Cowie

Callachan 

Morrison

Zanatta 

Currie

Still no room for Martin and Sammon, could stick them in with the under 16s and have ourselves a mini tourney 

Strong team ??

Just realised I've rattled off 41 first team players without mentioning most of the 16 year olds who just signed senior contracts :lol:

think we're gonna need a big fire sale at some point

Escobar PHM
15 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Definitely good to have plenty options compared to last season :thumbsup:

Indeed. Also more impressed than I thought I'd be with some of the quality. Lee in particular looks a great signing, with a couple of others also looking like they will improve us.

28 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Zlamal 

Haring

Souttar 

Berra

Godhino

Lee

Bozanic

Mitchell

Naismith 

Lafferty 

Ikpeazu 

With a back up of

New keeper

L.Smith

M.Smith 

Hughes 

Garuccio 

Djoum

Cochrane 

Edwards

New winger

Vanecek 

Mulraney 

Mason

Brandon 

Hamilton 

Baur

Youth left back? 

Mcdonald

Burns

Irving

Moore 

Keena

MacLean

Really interesting to see it grouped like that. 

The third group look like the reserve team starting line up. It actually makes a few of our squad make more sense. 

Cowie, MacLean, Hughes will be huge assts on field developing the lads to old for youth football and not ready for first team. 

Could be a great way to get Zanatta, Currie, etc up to speed. 

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Dunfermline interested in Ross Callahan is what I have heard. Be not bad move for him.

Yes it would be. We're in real trouble if the laddie is a first pick this season given all the signings we've made in his area.

Tried his best but unfortunately our level is a wee bit beyond him.

vlad on the tyne

Lewis Moore to me is no better than David Smith that got released a few seasons back and is now playing with Stranraer. 

Yet to see how Levien keeps so many players happy but can see several youngsters going out on loan which may or not be a good thing.  Loans appear to have benefited Liam Smith, Keena and Godinho.  If Levien keeps recruiting players like amankwaa and callachan, the academy players will get their chance to shine. 

Edited by vlad on the tyne

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Djoum will return with competition and motivation, a class international on his game, and Harry will be a future international. So they are both going to start for me, the competition for the final midfield berth is going to be fierce.

As it stands I would expect Godinho and Garrucio to be the preferred wing backs, if Demi does come back then a further upgrade there too. Naismith in behind Lafferty, the last starting spot for me, who couples up with Harry, probably Lee or Bozanic first dibs.

51 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

Lewis Moore to me is no better than David Smith that got released a few seasons back and is now playing with Stranraer. 

Yet to see how Levien keeps so many players happy but can see several youngsters going out on loan which may or not be a good thing.  Loans appear to have benefited Liam Smith, Keena and Godinho.  If Levien keeps recruiting players like amankwaa and callachan, the academy players will get their chance to shine. 

Who was on my flight to Krakow last month, had to google him to check who he is playing for now. 

2 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Here's a fourth XI

Keeper? 

Sandison

Petkov

Gajda

Left back? 

Amankwaa 

Cowie

Callachan 

Morrison

Zanatta 

Currie

We have Sandison for left back (injured just now I think), Sean Ward plays left wing back although is more forward thinking and we have Logan at right back. 

Escobar PHM
51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Djoum will return with competition and motivation, a class international on his game, and Harry will be a future international. So they are both going to start for me, the competition for the final midfield berth is going to be fierce.

As it stands I would expect Godinho and Garrucio to be the preferred wing backs, if Demi does come back then a further upgrade there too. Naismith in behind Lafferty, the last starting spot for me, who couples up with Harry, probably Lee or Bozanic first dibs.

If we can gel a decent midfield before the  window shuts I can see Cochrane going out on loan somewhere he can start every week. Personally I'd keep him here and I'd start him most weeks at Hearts but it makes no sense to sign all these midfield players if your not going to fit them in somehow. I don't think that Levein believes the Premier is a place for a 17 year old to grow.

Hopefully Djoum doesn't just walk into the team automatically and rest there. He really needs to deserve a place, not just get one because of his pedigree.

Edited by Escobar PHM

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I reckon Olly Lee will be the first pick the midfielders available. 

The way I see it for now is a combination 3 coming from these pairs (if you get my drift)  Bozanic or Lee / Edwards or Cochrane / Djoum or Naismith..........fecking outstanding! Add in Burns / McDonald for youngsters. Mulraney/Godhino on the right and Garuccio/Mitchell on the left. A forward line combination of two from  Uche / lafferty / McLean  / Vanchek (when he signs) Kenna (for now). With Souttar Beera and harring at the back..... and there's some people who think were weaker than last year... I don't think so! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

If we can gel a decent midfield before the  window shuts I can see Cochrane going out on loan somewhere he can start every week. Personally I'd keep him here and I'd start him most weeks at Hearts but it makes no sense to sign all these midfield players if your not going to fit them in somehow. I don't think that Levein believes the Premier is a place for a 17 year old to grow.

Hopefully Djoum doesn't just walk into the team automatically and rest there. He really needs to deserve a place, not just get one because of his pedigree.

He wont. Going to have to earn his place and I think that will be good for us

Escobar PHM
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He wont. Going to have to earn his place and I think that will be good for us

If Djoum gets fit we should hopefully get the best form out of him. I doubt he 'll extend so he'll be looking to attract a club, plus he's got the ANC this winter. ( which will be shit for us if he's back to his best but never mind)

EDIT. Just noticed the ANC is June next year. Not the winter.(Pressured into it by the top European clubs I imagine)

Edited by Escobar PHM

3 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Just realised I've rattled off 41 first team players without mentioning most of the 16 year olds who just signed senior contracts :lol:

50 odd full time players we have.

Probably about 10 too many.

2 or 3 of them decent earners. We could still add a lot o quality to the squad if we could free up these wages.

21 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

If Djoum gets fit we should hopefully get the best form out of him. I doubt he 'll extend so he'll be looking to attract a club, plus he's got the ANC this winter. ( which will be shit for us if he's back to his best but never mind)

EDIT. Just noticed the ANC is June next year. Not the winter.(Pressured into it by the top European clubs I imagine)

They have moved it to June all the time now.  Pressured by players into it. 

3 hours ago, BigAlim said:

670?cb=20120118044701

16 minutes ago, El Diez said:

50 odd full time players we have.

Probably about 10 too many.

2 or 3 of them decent earners. We could still add a lot o quality to the squad if we could free up these wages.

Three of four on the way out permanently and quite a few of the youngsters out on loan I reckon.