• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

• Alex Kintner

• Juanjo15

Cruyff Turn
45 minutes ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

Could not agree more re Berra. Not and never has or will be his game and not playing to his strengths. I know he approached CL on more than one occasion last season about the tactical approach 

It's concerning that we have added huge numbers yet appear possibly weaker in first 11 terms than last season when we were almost 20 points off top 4. We needed quality to bridge that gap and I'm not sure we have done that 

I find it strange that if he was so set on playing 3-5-2/3-1-4-2 or whatever, that we didn't sign a Left sided central defender. Berra is a great defender but he's probably a better rugby player than a football player,( no offence Christophe).

His physical strength, positioning, Aerial prowess, reading the game/covering, marking, organisation and communication are Berra's strengths, and moving him from being the central part of the spine of the team to a ball playing Centerback/left back is just mental, just because he's a Left footer.

I like 3-5-2 because it allows us to play with two strikers, not to be outnumbered in midfield or through the middle, gets players in between the lines and limits the opposition to wide areas where, if you've got 3 centrebacks like we have, its going to take a cracking cross or brilliant counter attack to score. But you need to recruit for it, get the balance right and play to the strengths of the personnel at your disposal, so in that sense, im not convinced yet whether we've covered those bases. 

If we want to change it though, as you've said, we are significantly weaker than last season. We can't play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, because 1. we haven't replaced Skinny and 2. We needed two players of Skinnys ability to play it in the first place. Mulraneys fast but otherwise it's the same personnel in those positions as last season. 

4-4-2 is too easy to play against, a triangle will always beat a line, unless we play long ball football, which isn't going to please people having spent 1million quid on a new pitch.

4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1  is probably the only other way we will play but even then it comes back to wingers, no skinny and we've sacrificed a striker. 

So, yeah I think we've shot ourselves in the foot yet a little, even though we have strengthen significantly in numbers, much better in some areas, we still aren't balanced, versatile or strong/complete enough in any particular shape or system.

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I find it strange that if he was so set on playing 3-5-2/3-1-4-2 or whatever, that we didn't sign a Left sided central defender. Berra is a great defender but he's probably a better rugby player than a football player,( no offence Christophe).

His physical strength, positioning, Aerial prowess, reading the game/covering, marking, organisation and communication are Berra's strengths, and moving him from being the central part of the spine of the team to a ball playing Centerback/left back is just mental, just because he's a Left footer.

I like 3-5-2 because it allows us to play with two strikers, not to be outnumbered in midfield or through the middle, gets players in between the lines and limits the opposition to wide areas where, if you've got 3 centrebacks like we have, its going to take a cracking cross or brilliant counter attack to score. But you need to recruit for it, get the balance right and play to the strengths of the personnel at your disposal, so in that sense, im not convinced yet whether we've covered those bases. 

If we want to change it though, as you've said, we are significantly weaker than last season. We can't play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, because 1. we haven't replaced Skinny and 2. We needed two players of Skinnys ability to play it in the first place. Mulraneys fast but otherwise it's the same personnel in those positions as last season. 

4-4-2 is too easy to play against, a triangle will always beat a line, unless we play long ball football, which isn't going to please people having spent 1million quid on a new pitch.

4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1  is probably the only other way we will play but even then it comes back to wingers, no skinny and we've sacrificed a striker. 

So, yeah I think we've shot ourselves in the foot yet a little, even though we have strengthen significantly in numbers, much better in some areas, we still aren't balanced, versatile or strong/complete enough in any particular shape or system.

There were some nice moves on Saturday that didn't come off. I think Bozanic will be in there as a deep lying playmaker infront of the defence. I think the recruitment has been excellent, lots of good footballers brought in and they're finding their feet. Quietly confident for the season ahead

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

There were some nice moves on Saturday that didn't come off. I think Bozanic will be in there as a deep lying playmaker infront of the defence. I think the recruitment has been excellent, lots of good footballers brought in and they're finding their feet. Quietly confident for the season ahead

Wouldn't go as far as excellent, that's pushing the boat out a bit as we seem to be lacking in a couple of areas and we haven't replaced certain players, for like for like quality, or in certain roles... yet. 

Don't get me wrong rudi, I think all the players we've signed will be good or decent, but we've played a few square pegs in round holes recently and that shouldn't be the case.

Still a month to go so we probably shouldn't be too hasty in thinking this is how it will be until January 2019.

2 hours ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

I know he approached CL on more than one occasion last season about the tactical approach 

Really? Do tell us more.

rudi must stay
20 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Wouldn't go as far as excellent, that's pushing the boat out a bit as we seem to be lacking in a couple of areas and we haven't replaced certain players, for like for like quality, or in certain roles... yet. 

Don't get me wrong rudi, I think all the players we've signed will be good or decent, but we've played a few square pegs in round holes recently and that shouldn't be the case.

Still a month to go so we probably shouldn't be too hasty in thinking this is how it will be until January 2019.

13 players. I think that's it to be honest. I agree with your comment there. So far some of them dont look as good

Alex Kintner
5 hours ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

Cowie, Callachan, Liam Smith and Zanatta all moving on would be probable together with offering Martin an incentive to go 

G’day mate. Welcome back ??

Dr Ian Malcolm
4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Need a big clear out, also not entirely convinced we have covered nearly all bases. 

We've literally signed enough new players for a new team. Now have two keepers that can challenge for number one, a left back plus cover, numerous central midfielders to strengthen the weakest area from last season and have more than doubled the amount of strikers we finished with. What is that if not a "big clearout"?

Pox Doctor's Clerk
19 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

G’day mate. Welcome back ??

Think you have got the wrong person mate. Hello nonetheless! 

Cruyff Turn
4 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

We've literally signed enough new players for a new team. Now have two keepers that can challenge for number one, a left back plus cover, numerous central midfielders to strengthen the weakest area from last season and have more than doubled the amount of strikers we finished with. What is that if not a "big clearout"?

That's signing players that were needed on top of what we had last season, or replaced some that have left. 

There's still a fair few we could move on and there are still a few positions where players haven't yet been replaced and positions that we can still strengthen. 

Pox Doctor's Clerk
40 minutes ago, Bez said:

Really? Do tell us more.

Not sure there is much more to tell. Captain and manager having such a discussion is probably commonplace in football. Especially when the captain is very well regarded and pivotal to side 

Do you believe Christophe is at his most effective in left of a back 3? 

2 minutes ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

Not sure there is much more to tell. Captain and manager having such a discussion is probably commonplace in football. Especially when the captain is very well regarded and pivotal to side 

Do you believe Christophe is at his most effective in left of a back 3? 

You misunderstand. You stated that you knew these conversations had taken place. I just wondered how you knew this.

Pox Doctor's Clerk
2 minutes ago, Bez said:

You misunderstand. You stated that you knew these conversations had taken place. I just wondered how you knew this.

I just happen to know they have taken place. You're not saying if you prefer CB in a 3 or a 4 then 

6 minutes ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

I just happen to know they have taken place. You're not saying if you prefer CB in a 3 or a 4 then 

I know I didn’t. I’d sooner you actually bothered to answer my question first tbh.

Who do you support mate?

Alex Kintner
20 minutes ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

Think you have got the wrong person mate. Hello nonetheless! 

Nah, pretty sure I’ve got the right fella.

Pox Doctor's Clerk
3 minutes ago, Bez said:

I know I didn’t. I’d sooner you actually bothered to answer my question first tbh.

Who do you support mate?

Is this a hierarchy thing? What was your question - how do I know such discussions took place? A friend knows CB well. Hopefully that's OK 

I'm a Hearts fan mate. I understood this to be a Hearts forum.  Again I hope this is OK with you 

Pox Doctor's Clerk
3 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Nah, pretty sure I’ve got the right fella.

That's not possible my friend 

Just now, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

Is this a hierarchy thing? What was your question - how do I know such discussions took place? A friend knows CB well. Hopefully that's OK 

I'm a Hearts fan mate. I understood this to be a Hearts forum.  Again I hope this is OK with you 

No bother sir. Loads of posters support other teams on here. Was genuinely just interested. I’ll leave you to it. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Pox Doctor's Clerk
1 minute ago, Bez said:

No bother sir. Loads of posters support other teams on here. Was genuinely just interested. I’ll leave you to it. Cheers. :thumbsup:

No worries. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Good post with a lot of valid points  imo

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hello? Maybe missed it, as you could be getting home from work. 

Maybe if I explain why I ask, so as you don't think I'm being rude?

You're a new member, with a rather unique & memorable username. One of my boring little hobbie's I like...is reading. And Etymology. (That's the study of words. Though, I'm sure you know this.)

Anyway, Pox Doctor was self-explanatory. In relation to the doctor's who wore the hook-nosed, gas masked-type outfits. Around the time from maybe 1500's- through to early 19th Century. Might be out there. They wore the outfits to help combat the chances of them catching the disease being treated at the time. Smallpox, for example.

Listen to me, rabbiting on. Adding "clerk" to it, was, for me, a new phrase altogether.

It stems from the phrase.(for those who're interested?) "Dressed up like a Pox Doctor's Clerk". Basically, dressing up in flashy gear, for example.

"The Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms (4th edition, 1996) by G. A. Wilkes defines it as “dressed nattily but in bad taste” and claims it as an Australian expression, although conceding that it may have arrived from England. The expression is believed to have developed about 1870 but there were variants in the UK in the 20th century ."

I think perhaps this is where Frank was wondering if you're in Oz. He might have Australian relatives, and heard of this old saying before...I dunno. He's better off answering that one. 

But, as to my question; Only reason I asked, was when Googling the above. 3 hits down, was what appears below. Thought it was a strange coincidence, was all.

Anyway, thanks for reading this. And sorry, all.

20180724_180708.jpg

Interesting. Quite like all that stuff.

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, Pox Doctor's Clerk said:

I've only just joined 

Hence why I said welcome back. I remember you from when you were a member before.

18 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Hence why I said welcome back. I remember you from when you were a member before.

Didn’t want to stay the same?

Quite frankly.. if we don’t get a couple of fast attacking wide players and Djoum back pronto then we look like we could struggle to break down a kit-kat. 

There was gossip on here about a 'big name' player maybe coming to Hearts before the end of the window (Maybe not a 'big name' but was suggested that it would be as big or bigger than Naismith I think).

I'm not holding anyone's feet the the fire but does anyone know if that looks like its still happening?

I reckon we’ll sell Lafferty, move on Martin and Amankwaa and bring in Vanecek, a left back (hopefully Mitchell) and a winger.

Edit: I’d be pleased to see Adao coming in for Callachan or even Cowie but if it was going to happen it would probably have been done by now.

Edited by andrew

Clerry Jambo

Could Driver do a job, experienced wide player, really don't know what sort of form he is in....

Barry Anderson @BarryAnderson_ 22m22 minutes ago

Into August and Andy Driver (30) is still without a club after leaving De Graafschap. Trained with St Johnstone but no deal. Decent free agent for someone in Scotland or England needing a left midfielder.

Looks like we are defo looking at another front player if rumours of the last day or so are to be believed. 

23 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

There was gossip on here about a 'big name' player maybe coming to Hearts before the end of the window (Maybe not a 'big name' but was suggested that it would be as big or bigger than Naismith I think).

I'm not holding anyone's feet the the fire but does anyone know if that looks like its still happening?

I also said IF it happens would be towards if not at the very end of the window

Clerry Jambo

I think we need a strong experienced wide player if going 3 at the back all season. Inverness got through us at times quite easily.

I'm liking young Morrison, but a "Cadden type" player would be a good addition to the squad.

PS I know we wont get Cadden unfortunately

21 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I think we need a strong experienced wide player if going 3 at the back all season. Inverness got through us at times quite easily.

I'm liking young Morrison, but a "Cadden type" player would be a good addition to the squad.

PS I know we wont get Cadden unfortunately

Surely Zanatta is worth another try. I remember him playing wide left at our game against Ross Co and he played really well. He has been out on loan a lot and might be again but he is a big lad right up Cl's street.

43 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

I also said IF it happens would be towards if not at the very end of the window

Is this still hopeful Daz?

8 minutes ago, Hector Riva said:

I reckon Osman Sow will be back. 

He hasn’t played a minute of preseason due to injury and his manager says he’ll be out for a while so I doubt it

I wouldn't be up in arms if we signed Sow but it's worth remembering that even when he played his full season with us in the championship he was injured for months in the middle of it, I'm sure he'd contribute in tandem with Ikpeazu and MacLean until Vanecek arrives but I feel like it'd be more beneficial to bring in someone a bit different and more reliable 

Edited by BigAlim

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Has to be 2 wide players, everything else is bordering on overload let alone covered.

Saint Jambo
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Has to be 2 wide players, everything else is bordering on overload let alone covered.

Strangely I'm not sure this is true. We are arguably light in the following areas:

- Centre back - Souttar and Berra. Potentially Michael Smith converted from right back. Haring if he doesn't play in midfield. Hughes when fit. No youngsters looking like they are ready to step up. Going with the normal '2 players for every position' approach, we are light and this is especially true of a position where players are regularly suspended.

- Right wing back - Lots of right backs and a right winger, but possibly none that naturally fit the right wing back position. If I'm honest, this position looks a mess but I think we will muddle through with a mix of Michael Smith, Liam Smith, Brandon, Godinho and Morrison, in the hope that one of them can grow into that position..

- Left wing back - One player with no cover. Will be surprised if we don't do something about this. Assume we will make another effort for Mitchell in the next couple of weeks when the Man U squad for the season is settled.

- Defensive central midfielder - Personally don't think you need one in a 3-5-2, but Levein seems to disagree. If we use Haring that makes the centre back issue worse. Maybe Djoum is seen as an option here given he has played this role internationally.

- Striker - This is clearly a 'if Lafferty' goes situation, but in that scenario we are potentially short again, with bringing in Vanecek early looking like the most sensible option.

I'm not convinced that wide players 'fit' into our formation particularly well and may be most likely to be used to replace wing backs when we are playing teams that sit in and defend heavily as has been the case in the league cup. With the emergence of Morrison, as well as Mulraney and MacDonald, I'm not sure how much sense there would be in spending a significant chunk on a first choice wide player who may struggle for game time.

Hopefully we can slim the squad down in some of the overloaded areas, particularly right back and central midfield, to end up with a balanced squad by the end of August.

Not necessarily expecting us to move in all the areas above, but wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of further additions, especially once the English window closes and there are free agents still looking for clubs and additional players available on loan. These have been markets Hearts have clearly felt there is value in previously, with higher quality available than we can sometimes get earlier in the window. This would fit with the 'big signing' towards the end of the window rumour.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Strangely I'm not sure this is true. We are arguably light in the following areas:

- Centre back - Souttar and Berra. Potentially Michael Smith converted from right back. Haring if he doesn't play in midfield. Hughes when fit. No youngsters looking like they are ready to step up. Going with the normal '2 players for every position' approach, we are light and this is especially true of a position where players are regularly suspended.

- Right wing back - Lots of right backs and a right winger, but possibly none that naturally fit the right wing back position. If I'm honest, this position looks a mess but I think we will muddle through with a mix of Michael Smith, Liam Smith, Brandon, Godinho and Morrison, in the hope that one of them can grow into that position..

- Left wing back - One player with no cover. Will be surprised if we don't do something about this. Assume we will make another effort for Mitchell in the next couple of weeks when the Man U squad for the season is settled.

- Defensive central midfielder - Personally don't think you need one in a 3-5-2, but Levein seems to disagree. If we use Haring that makes the centre back issue worse. Maybe Djoum is seen as an option here given he has played this role internationally.

- Striker - This is clearly a 'if Lafferty' goes situation, but in that scenario we are potentially short again, with bringing in Vanecek early looking like the most sensible option.

I'm not convinced that wide players 'fit' into our formation particularly well and may be most likely to be used to replace wing backs when we are playing teams that sit in and defend heavily as has been the case in the league cup. With the emergence of Morrison, as well as Mulraney and MacDonald, I'm not sure how much sense there would be in spending a significant chunk on a first choice wide player who may struggle for game time.

Hopefully we can slim the squad down in some of the overloaded areas, particularly right back and central midfield, to end up with a balanced squad by the end of August.

Not necessarily expecting us to move in all the areas above, but wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of further additions, especially once the English window closes and there are free agents still looking for clubs and additional players available on loan. These have been markets Hearts have clearly felt there is value in previously, with higher quality available than we can sometimes get earlier in the window. This would fit with the 'big signing' towards the end of the window rumour.

Centre backs we have 4, plus the utility Smith. Right backs plenty. Morrison and McDonald are raw, so an experienced right sided mid/wing would be my preference, and likewise on the left.

Garuccio looking very good so far, if somehow we could get Demi back, would solve the left side, either as winger or wing back. That's the 2 holes for me without question.

As you say if Lafferty does go, I'm sure that will speed the Vanecek move.

Holding midfielder, its going to be Djoum, then either Bozanic or Haring I believe. I have went from being sceptical to very impressed, but holding on to my shit for a few league games before getting too excited.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Barack said:

A lot of coherent points here.

Especially the last paragraph. Although, again, I think we'll see a unicorn in a Hearts strip, before a bigger signing than Naismith shows up.

Will love to be proven wrong, however.

How lucky are we to have Steven Naismith. At my age you shouldn't have favourite players. But he is :lol:

Remember listening to the old Sportsound Through the Window programme years ago, praying we would move for him.

Now we have him and bits to work off him, I think he is going to be player of the year material for the entire league.

If we add 2 more players, we are going to give this a go and we seem to be sailing pleasantly under the radar for the moment.

Escobar PHM
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Surely Zanatta is worth another try. I remember him playing wide left at our game against Ross Co and he played really well. He has been out on loan a lot and might be again but he is a big lad right up Cl's street.

Wonder if Zanatta could be converted to a left wing back for cover ?

56 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Wonder if Zanatta could be converted to a left wing back for cover ?

Not sure about that but he scored a Hat Trick the other day apparently.

Italian Lambretta
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 09:46, Pans Jambo said:

I think we've already signed that player :pleased:

Karl Anthony Uchechukwu Mubiru Ikpeazu