Craig Levein: A Psychological Explanation

shaun.lawson

6 minutes ago, Bez said:

And you don’t get to decide that he knows more about Hearts than those of us who have supported the club since were in single figures of age. I’ve. been to see Arsenal twice, as well as countless times on the TV... does that make me an Arsenal supporter too? 

Its very evident to me who knows what about football. 

I have no idea what point you are attempting to make about Arsenal.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun.lawson

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Well, that's had a predictably mixed response. :laugh: The ad hominems from the usual suspects, I really can't be bothered with - other than to note that one of the usual suspects is so plain creepy, he even staked out my LinkedIn profile the other day. Get a life man.

I want to focus on one thing though. This idea that far from being broken, he's more determined than ever. Sorry, but no. Yes, adversity is often the making of someone - but not this level of it. Not constant adversity and endless misfortune which has followed him round to such an extent, we have to assume he stepped under various ladders and must've met a black cat somewhere along the way. This guy was a young, driven manager once. He's old and tired now - and much, much, much more negative.

My one hope when he was appointed was he could use everything I've written about as motivation to finally get that damn cigar. But on the contrary: at crucial moments, he's a rabbit in the headlights. Above, someone mentioned the incredible brain he has for football. Sorry - but anyone with a brain for football now, not football 15 years ago, would not have taken such a craven approach against opponents in such shambles, their fans were mute on Sunday. We didn't "quieten their fans" - we actually woke them up, so pathetic were we. 

In fact, if the complaint against me is I overthink things very often (fair enough, I plead guilty), then I have something in common with him. Because that's precisely his problem too. Paralysis by analysis. And there's no sign of it changing. Instead, it's getting worse.

Two words that piss all over your theory: Sergo Garcia

Went through much more sporting heartache than Craig Levein ever did

2 minutes ago, Bez said:

You should have taken your own advice before getting wired in to Franko tbh...

Nah, sometimes bullies need to be on the receiving end :thumb:

1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Its very evident to me who knows what about football. 

I have no idea what point you are attempting to make about Arsenal.

It’s not actually Hendricks. You just latch on to anyone who agrees with you and then try and make out that means they know more about Football.

I’ve been to as many of their games as Shaun has Hearts. I don’t claim to be a supporter though. 

1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Nah, sometimes bullies need to be on the receiving end :thumb:

Bence why I’m bothering to reply to you. :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson
16 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Sorry, he is no more "Hearts" than the other interlopers who infest the board.

A deeply curious post on a forum whose owner and administrator lives in Canada, whose previous administrator lives in Ireland, which has many contributors who live overseas, and about a club dependent on a model funded by fans across the world.

I love this idea that only fans who attend games every week are allowed to comment. Should anyone who doesn't have a yellow star by their names? Should FoH refuse donations from anyone who doesn't have an EH postcode? Should the club have bouncers at the gates instructed to turn away anyone who's not from Gorgie? Do tell. 

And here's something really shocking. On occasion, some of those who attend games are so blinded by emotional attachment that they can't see the woods for the trees. As a bare minimum, that this forum has so many posters who live much further afield, and therefore view things with much more perspective and detachment, provides a highly necessary counterbalance.

Alex Kintner
4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Christ on a bike, "reading from the shadows"!!!!  I'd rather read a thousand Shaun Lawson posts regardless of whether he drinks in Stratties, has Hearts bed covers and knows all the words to the European song than 10 of yours thats for damn sure!  People become connected to a football club or any organization for a multitude of reasons, be that through family or moving for work or something about the history or indeed for the glory (not one that can be attributed to claiming affinity to Hearts!). Just because we are born and bred Jambos and the majority from Edinburgh and Lothians or nearby does not exclude those who have fallen in love with Hearts from further afield. Shaun and anyone like him has just as much right as you or I to debate anything Hearts particularly when he is able to do so in the manner he does. Don't like it, don't read it. 

That’s exactly my question...what was Shaun’s reason and why did it affect him in a way that never made him passionate enough to ever attend a match but passionate enough to post on one of our forums regularly. It’s a genuine question. If it’s that it’s just a wee internet project for him as some suggest then I find it very hard to take anything he says with any credibility, especially if he’s never bothered to attend a match in all the years he’s been “following” us.

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

A deeply curious post on a forum whose owner and administrator lives in Canada, whose previous administrator lives in Ireland, which has many contributors who live overseas, and about a club dependent on a model funded by fans across the world.

I love this idea that only fans who attend games every week are allowed to comment. Should anyone who doesn't have a yellow star by their names? Should FoH refuse donations from anyone who doesn't have an EH postcode? Should the club have bouncers at the gates instructed to turn away anyone who's not from Gorgie? Do tell. 

And here's something really shocking. On occasion, some of those who attend games are so blinded by emotional attachment that they can't see the woods for the trees. As a bare minimum, that this forum has so many posters who live much further afield, and therefore view things with much more perspective and detachment, provides a highly necessary counterbalance.

I’ll bet the admins and owners of jkb have all been to a hell of a lot more than two Hearts games though (if Bez is correct that you’ve only ever been to two games). 

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

He's also been a world class performer in his field, spending over 400 weeks in the top 10 IN THE WORLD and WINNING 33 professional titles. Sorry but comparing Sergio Garcia with someone who has been punted from his only job in England when given the opportunity to manage at a higher level, binned from the National team job after a disastrous campaign and has won the grand total of diddly squat during his domestic jobs is hilarious as it is ludicrous. Garcia is a proven winner, both individually and in a team environment, Craig Levein, sadly for us is not and never will be.

shaun.lawson
5 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Nope. Sergio Garcia suffered various agonising near-misses, all of which were within his control, for 18 years.

Craig Levein has endured huge numbers of near-misses, career-wrecking injury, season-wrecking illness, shocking refereeing decisions, and even had to watch his previous clubs win something almost immediately after he left: not once, not twice, but on three separate occasions. And much of this wasn't within his control. 

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Well, that's had a predictably mixed response. :laugh: The ad hominems from the usual suspects, I really can't be bothered with - other than to note that one of the usual suspects is so plain creepy, he even staked out my LinkedIn profile the other day. Get a life man.

I want to focus on one thing though. This idea that far from being broken, he's more determined than ever. Sorry, but no. Yes, adversity is often the making of someone - but not this level of it. Not constant adversity and endless misfortune which has followed him round to such an extent, we have to assume he stepped under various ladders and must've met a black cat somewhere along the way. This guy was a young, driven manager once. He's old and tired now - and much, much, much more negative.

My one hope when he was appointed was he could use everything I've written about as motivation to finally get that damn cigar. But on the contrary: at crucial moments, he's a rabbit in the headlights. Above, someone mentioned the incredible brain he has for football. Sorry - but anyone with a brain for football now, not football 15 years ago, would not have taken such a craven approach against opponents in such shambles, their fans were mute on Sunday. We didn't "quieten their fans" - we actually woke them up, so pathetic were we. 

In fact, if the complaint against me is I overthink things very often (fair enough, I plead guilty), then I have something in common with him. Because that's precisely his problem too. Paralysis by analysis. And there's no sign of it changing. Instead, it's getting worse.

That may well be a fair point. Over thinking due to the pressure and trying to redress the unbalance and lack of fitness in the squad to get through the season. I dont have stats but compared to his previous tenure id expect a vastly higher number of changes game to game than back then. 

I think however you are wrong he has an incredible brain for football. IMO the approach is borne out of necessity as opposed to anything else. Hes highly and i mean highly respected in the game. Maybe not liked but thats neither here nor there. 

There is no doubt something clicked after the Hamilton game and his mojo came back. He has addressed issues in January only to have it go tits up with two key injuries. 

As I just said psychology is huge in football now throughout a club and the noises out of Tynecastle are not inkeeping with your amateur analysis thats my opinion and its from experience not from being a literate oxbridge educated “expert” on the Uruguay national team etc but from being at different clubs , seeing how they work , seeing how the psyche works , how its changed over time and how it affected me. 

Phil Dunphy
20 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

aye, because CL has never beaten hibs 5-1 as Hearts manager.

Right, that’s all it takes for a manager to win a game. “I won one before!”

You can bet he’d have shat himself at the prospect of O’Connor and Griffiths that day. Sat back and tried to hit a nearly relegated Hibs on the counter. 

The difference being of course, Ron has attended games prolifically before emigrating.

Also nobody is saying you aren’t allowed an opinion. People are pointing out that your opinion is just that, an opinion. An opinion based on unqualified psychological profiling.

I would argue that the people who are blinded and can’t see the woods for the trees are actually the ones who instead of accepting the obvious reason for our cautious approach away from home is in fact our lack of midfield strength and depth, instead claim it’s down to a psychological profile put together by a guy who’s never seen him play and never seen him manage.

5 minutes ago, Bez said:

It’s not actually Hendricks. You just latch on to anyone who agrees with you and then try and make out that means they know more about Football.

I’ve been to as many of their games as Shaun has Hearts. I don’t claim to be a supporter though. 

It actually is and if you were paying attention you would notice that I routinely comment on threads and posts whereby I disagree with much of what has been written by a poster but respect and understand their points. That we may not agree is fine but its pretty evident if they are knowledgeable or not. 

Your Arsenal comparison 'thing' is totally bizarre. Shaun has devoted significant time to Hearts throughout his life regardless of attending games and has a very clear connection and affinity for the club. He is also very knowledgable about the club and an array of other football subjects and if you can't see that and accept that then you are being deliberately facetious! 

shaun.lawson
3 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

I’ll bet the admins and owners of jkb have all been to a hell of a lot more than two Hearts games though (if Bez is correct that you’ve only ever been to two games). 

He's not. It's simply that he was aware of my presence at two games. And as forum policeman and self-appointed arbiter of right and wrong, he therefore trots out this lie whenever he feels like it.

His entire game is to derail threads he disagrees with by taking them off on tangents, almost always based on his personal dislike for particular posters. It's rather sad tbh. 

Hearts can be physchologically diagnosed as a team of fame,fortune,fraud,frustration,feeble,  f'ing awful,to the point even Freud would be challenged to help. But deep down thats what has attracted most of us to hold them in such high regard most of the time.  They are never boring, seeing Tommy Walker sit in the Directors box watching a championship, cup winning team, and never a smile or change of expression on his face.  Watching my old father with sheer exaltation on his face, and neighbours warning look out if you see Jimmy coming home from the game, Herts lost.  They are a true institution Shauns diagnosis of Levein could almost  cover my experience of how Hearts should or could be diagnosed over the last seventy plus years, multi personality, suffered from loss of character, loss of key players at unfortunate times, I don't think at any time their position has been the fault of one person, from the Board, through the managers, through the coaches to the players there have been individuals deemed culpable, but it takes many fingers in the pot to stir it.

He's not. It's simply that he was aware of my presence at two games. And as forum policeman and self-appointed arbiter of right and wrong, he therefore trots out this lie whenever he feels like it.

His entire game is to derail threads he disagrees with by taking them off on tangents, almost always based on his personal dislike for particular posters. It's rather sad tbh. 

More amateur psychoanalysis. When you starting your own practise? 

9 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Shaun this is the third time Iv said this you have an open playing field here to explain to many posters why and how Hearts. All your doing is back and forth about other posters and what they are at then calling them sad for doing basically the same thing to you. 

You write bigger novels than me on points which with your background I get but being a wordsmith does not give you carte blanche to be the man with the correct opinions. 

For instance you have said Levein is a loser blah blah blah his thinking is 15years ago. So on that point why is he attempting to play a style that is different to the one he had success with back then if he is stck in the past. Thats a simple place to start.

Edited by sadj

Alex Kintner
6 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

How many games have you attended then?

Alex Kintner
Just now, sadj said:

Shaun this is the thirs time Iv said this you have an open playing field here to explain to many posters why and how Hearts. All your doing is back and forth about other posters and what they are at then calling them sad for doing basically the same thing to you. 

You write bigger novels than me on points which with your background I get but being a wordsmith does not give you carte blanche to be the man with the correct opinions. 

For instance you have said Levein is a loser blah blah blah his thinking is 15years ago. So on that point why is he attempting to play a style that is different to the one he had success with back then if he is stck in the past. Thats a simple place to start.

This is where I’m at. Just save all the aggro and give those genuinely interested a bit of background on your Hearts journey. 

18 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

You are seriously over egging this now. The breakdown of this is he left some clubs for bigger and better opportunities just before they won a trophy? His playing career was ended by bad injury, how many players does that happen too who drift off and are never heard of again. Levein picked himself up got into management and made a success of it.

If you ever get to spend an hour in his company you'll soon know how much the club means too him and how determined he is too bring success. Without going over old ground he's faced a huge challenge at Hearts this season and now gets the chance to build his team. To analyse him like this is bonkers and based entirely on your opinion and without having actually met the guy. 

His last management job was only 5 years ago not 15 years ago. He was considered talented enough a manager to lead the national side, its hardly like he came from Stirling Albion. 

In reality its just another Levein bashing thread with a slightly different flavor to the others. The much talked about Steve Clarke's last real job was 2013, no one is knocking his abilities. Yesterday you were proposing Jack Ross got the gig, he's managed about 80 games in the championship and won heehaw as a player what does he bring over Levein

22 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Lol well said.

Alex Kintner
20 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

He's also been a world class performer in his field, spending over 400 weeks in the top 10 IN THE WORLD and WINNING 33 professional titles. Sorry but comparing Sergio Garcia with someone who has been punted from his only job in England when given the opportunity to manage at a higher level, binned from the National team job after a disastrous campaign and has won the grand total of diddly squat during his domestic jobs is hilarious as it is ludicrous. Garcia is a proven winner, both individually and in a team environment, Craig Levein, sadly for us is not and never will be.

I take it you’ve been a Sergio Garcia fan for a while then?

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

I take it you’ve been a Sergio Garcia fan for a while then?

If thats what you take from my point I'm Aok with it!  For your info its not difficult to do a quick wiki and pull out some salient points but yes I've followed Garcia's career, particularly in the majors and the Ryder Cup and was delighted when he won the Master's last year.

Nookie Bear
24 minutes ago, sadj said:

That may well be a fair point. Over thinking due to the pressure and trying to redress the unbalance and lack of fitness in the squad to get through the season. I dont have stats but compared to his previous tenure id expect a vastly higher number of changes game to game than back then. 

I think however you are wrong he has an incredible brain for football. IMO the approach is borne out of necessity as opposed to anything else. Hes highly and i mean highly respected in the game. Maybe not liked but thats neither here nor there. 

There is no doubt something clicked after the Hamilton game and his mojo came back. He has addressed issues in January only to have it go tits up with two key injuries. 

As I just said psychology is huge in football now throughout a club and the noises out of Tynecastle are not inkeeping with your amateur analysis thats my opinion and its from experience not from being a literate oxbridge educated “expert” on the Uruguay national team etc but from being at different clubs , seeing how they work , seeing how the psyche works , how its changed over time and how it affected me. 

What is this "incredible brain" all about?

What sets him apart?

Alex Kintner
4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

If thats what you take from my point I'm Aok with it!  For your info its not difficult to do a quick wiki and pull out some salient points but yes I've followed Garcia's career, particularly in the majors and the Ryder Cup and was delighted when he won the Master's last year.

Thanks, you’ve made exactly the point I was hoping you’d make ;):thumbsup:

Just now, Frank1874 said:

Thanks, you’ve made exactly the point I was hoping you’d make ;):thumbsup:

That comparing a superstar sportsman to Craig Levein wasn't sensible. Got it :thumb:

Bazzas right boot

I'm convinced. 

Hopefully Paul Hartley is appointed asap, and with CL sacked, a SC win is a done deal next season.

16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What sets him apart?

People confuse the fact that Craig Levein can string a sentence together and is undoubtably an intelligent person with his football "brain' and football IQ. He is quite the novelty, especially in Scottish football given the general average intelligence of those in prominent positions. Sadly for him and us that doesn't reflect in his teams results which is how managers are judged not on whether they are articulate or not. 

Edited by Hendricks

Why do so many on here credit CL with literally zero credentials to manage Hearts ? He knows more about the game of football than any poster on here and understands what is required to see the season out while avoiding possible relegation issues. The real fact is that CL knows we have a weak side and has decided that this season has to be one of being strong at home and taking any points we can get away from home all the while avoiding taking at tanning that will do nothing but drain an already confidence weak side. Next year will have to be different because he should be remedying the player side of things. The truth is that, unknown to him, CL is on a hiding to nothing with some posters on here, if he is to defensive he gets hammered for that if he sends out the team to get torn in and they get a hammering those same people will be on here giving him pelters for that too. You know being a football manager is a piss easy job ... just ask all the managers on here... not forgetting the shrinks very important they are.

7 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I'm convinced. 

Hopefully Paul Hartley is appointed asap, and with CL sacked, a SC win is a done deal next season.

That's a *** wind up unfortunately PH has proved he cannae manage a fish supper and a bottle of tizer :laugh:

Geoff the Mince
39 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

:jj:

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

That's a *** wind up unfortunately PH has proved he cannae manage a fish supper and a bottle of tizer :laugh:

tbf, by the looks of it SPH has no issues tackling fish suppers.

shaun.lawson
40 minutes ago, sadj said:

Shaun this is the thirs time Iv said this you have an open playing field here to explain to many posters why and how Hearts

*sigh* I've told this story many times before. The reason I haven't done so yet again, until this post, is because I hate threads turning into Shaun threads. That was a highly justified complaint in the past - but I can't help people being fascinated/obsessed (delete as applicable) with me I suppose.

When we're kids, we choose football teams for all manner of reasons. In many cases, it's because of who our family support. In my case, that didn't apply, because no-one in my family followed football (albeit, my younger brother went on to follow Tottenham; my younger sister, Norwich, and she writes about women's football now). I also have a peculiar emotional make-up (TLDR: being an outsider suits me) which means it makes sense that I'd choose to follow two clubs who weren't local. In short, tribalism isn't my thing; but football certainly is.

I chose Norwich (memo to neilnunb: why would anyone post on the Norwich FB page? Like the Hearts FB page, it's full to the brim of clowns) and Hearts for very similar reasons. In Norwich's case, it was because, midway through 1988/9, they were in the title race alongside Arsenal - but patronised, ridiculed and otherwise ignored. It pissed me off. In Hearts' case, it was because, midway through 1991/2, we were in the title race alongside Rangers - but patronised, ridiculed and largely ignored. That pissed me off as well - so I chose Hearts too. Heck, the very reason I live where I do now is because my long, long fascination with Uruguay started when I attended England v Uruguay at Wembley in May 1990: my first ever England game. 

I've never pretended to be 'normal' (though what is 'normal' anyway?), nor anyone other than my own person. But having chosen Hearts and Norwich, it's been lifelong for me (with no difference in my affections towards either) ever since. Far and away my favourite time following Hearts - and the period when I went to most games - was between 1996 and 2000 under JJ. That was the era encompassing my gap year and uni, so I had much more free time; and as I didn't drink or smoke and had a railcard, I had plenty of cash to spend on the club too. That's why I write about that period so often.

Later, as I headed onto a PhD, my resources grew a lot thinner, so I didn't get to many games. Only a couple a season until 2006 or so; none since 2010; and I moved to this country in early 2012, and flights back to the UK are horribly expensive. And you can impose some arbitrary cut-off point if you want: "You're not allowed to comment because you haven't been to a game since x" - but I think that'd be pretty absurd. Not least because if it's to grow, the club needs all the fans it can get, wherever they're from.

It was quite funny seeing neilnunb questioning me earlier - because my first ever online exchange about Hearts was with him, after Dundee 1-0 Hearts at the end of October in 1998. I was worried - while he was absolutely raging! That was on the Hearts chat thing which was part of the old club website. I started posting on Kickback in early 2000; and if you search for JKB on the internet archive, there you'll find me and a bunch of other familiar names from later that year. 

It would be extremely strange - in fact, it'd be downright sectionable - for someone with no emotional attachment to Hearts to have written well over 40,000 posts about them (and many more before 2008) on an internet forum. If people find it odd that an Englishman brought up in Middlesex (and who, incidentally, only lived in Norwich for 3 years while at uni) should choose to follow Hearts, that's their look-out. In fact, all they're doing towards me is what I'm doing towards Levein: amateur psychoanalysis. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

tbf, by the looks of it SPH has no issues tackling fish suppers.

on second thoughts ... and second helpings:laugh: I think you are right but you are at the wind up though ?

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

*sigh* I've told this story many times before. The reason I haven't done so yet again, until this post, is because I hate threads turning into Shaun threads. That was a highly justified complaint in the past - but I can't help people being fascinated/obsessed (delete as applicable) with me I suppose.

When we're kids, we choose football teams for all manner of reasons. In many cases, it's because of who our family support. In my case, that didn't apply, because no-one in my family followed football (albeit, my younger brother went on to follow Tottenham; my younger sister, Norwich). I also have a peculiar emotional make-up (TLDR: being an outsider suits me) which means it makes sense that I'd choose to follow two clubs who weren't local. In short, tribalism isn't my thing; but football certainly is.

I chose Norwich (memo to neilnunb: why would anyone post on the Norwich FB page? Like the Hearts FB page, it's full to the brim of clowns) and Hearts for very similar reasons. In Norwich's case, it was because, midway through 1988/9, they were in the title race alongside Arsenal - but patronised, ridiculed and otherwise ignored. It pissed me off. In Hearts' case, it was because, midway through 1991/2, we were in the title race alongside Rangers - but patronised, ridiculed and largely ignored. That pissed me off as well - so I chose Hearts too. Heck, the very reason I live where I do now is because my long, long fascination with Uruguay started when I attended England v Uruguay at Wembley in May 1990: my first ever England game. 

I've never pretended to be 'normal' (though what is 'normal' anyway?), nor anyone other than my own person. But having chosen Hearts and Norwich, it's been lifelong for me (with no difference in my affections towards either) ever since. Far and away my favourite time following Hearts - and the period when I went to most games - was between 1996 and 2000 under JJ. That was the era encompassing my gap year and uni, so I had much more free time; and as I didn't drink or smoke and had a railcard, I had plenty of cash to spend on the club too. That's why I write about that period so often.

Later, as I headed onto a PhD, my resources grew a lot thinner, so I didn't get to many games. Only a couple a season until 2006 or so; none since 2010; and I moved to this country in early 2012, and flights back to the UK are horribly expensive. And you can impose some arbitrary cut-off point if you want: "You're not allowed to comment because you haven't been to a game since x" - but I think that'd be pretty absurd. Not least because if it's to grow, the club needs all the fans it can get, wherever they're from.

It was quite funny seeing neilnunb questioning me earlier - because my first ever online exchange about Hearts was with him, after Dundee 1-0 Hearts at the end of October in 1998. I was worried - while he was absolutely raging! That was on the Hearts chat thing which was part of the old club website. I started posting on Kickback in early 2000; and if you search for JKB on the internet archive, there you'll find me and a bunch of other familiar names from later that year. 

It would be extremely strange - in fact, it'd be downright sectionable - for someone with no emotional attachment to Hearts to have written well over 40,000 posts about them (and many more before 2008) on an internet forum. If people find it odd that an Englishman brought up in Middlesex (and who, incidentally, only lived in Norwich for 3 years while at uni) should choose to follow Hearts, that's their look-out. In fact, all they're doing towards me is what I'm doing towards Levein: amateur psychoanalysis. 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

on second thoughts ... and second helpings:laugh: I think you are right but you are at the wind up though ?

lol, aye.

I was summarizing the apparent solution  to well, Hearts. 

18 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

People confuse the fact that Shaun Lawson can string a sentence together and is undoubtably an intelligent person with his football "brain' and football IQ. He is quite the novelty, especially in Scottish football given the general average intelligence of many other forum posters. Sadly for him and us that doesn't reflect in his accuracy which is how posters are judged not on whether they are articulate or not. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It's kind of embarrassing how Shaun gets targeted like this tbh. Decent, thought-provoking OP - the kind the board doesn't see enough of whether you agree with it or not - and he's set upon like a kid in the playground. 

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

It's kind of embarrassing how Shaun gets targeted like this tbh. Decent, thought-provoking OP - the kind the board doesn't see enough of whether you agree with it or not - and he's set upon like a kid in the playground. 

Don't worry, I've always attracted it. At least in part, that must be my own fault. 

shaun.lawson
3 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

So, in short, if we sack Levein now we will win the cup next year? 

Yes. We could try it and see, at least? 

Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

You know I would actually agree with you if what you have said was actually true! Have we now got to the stage where posters come on and start giving as a psychoanalysis of the manager... who has actually done nothing wrong? I agree that when the time comes and we have adequate players we should see a different style of play ... but just right now CL is doing things the way he is for a reason... we have a weak team. 

30 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What sets him apart?

Have you ever been able to tap into his football mind. Theres many people in the game who have opinions or thoughts on past present and future. Iv played with many and met many more and none have I ever felt had an insight or thought process or ideas in regards to football like CL. Thats not just me to be respected in football continually is a difficult task its something he has achieved over a very long period of time. Longer than Lennon longer than Clarke which are two names constantly thrown about. 

Yes in relation to Hearts he may care to much but thats a different conversation

It’s interesting somebody citing our last

two successful teams in the top league (Sergio’s cup and JJ’s run) discussing the midfield and completely missing out Rudi.

Rudi carried both teams - a once in a generation player that we don’t currently have.

JJ’s run also fell apart when a very ‘Levein type” signing in Kyle got injured.

And there will be those who say levein wouldn’t have played Rudi no doubt.

Well neither did Sergio or JJ initially. JJ wanted Capaldi instead of him FFS.

Levein gets and plays flair players when he can - Juanjo, Fuller, Valois and he took a punt with Perraira.

Give him the summer....

Edited by Jammy T

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Have you ever been able to tap into his football mind. Theres many people in the game who have opinions or thoughts on past present and future. Iv played with many and met many more and none have I ever felt had an insight or thought process or ideas in regards to football like CL. Thats not just me to be respected in football continually is a difficult task its something he has achieved over a very long period of time. Longer than Lennon longer than Clarke which are two names constantly thrown about. 

Yes in relation to Hearts he may care to much but thats a different conversation

Seems to me like you are in a better position to provide an opinion on how the man thinks than Shaun.

29 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

People confuse the fact that Craig Levein can string a sentence together and is undoubtably an intelligent person with his football "brain' and football IQ. He is quite the novelty, especially in Scottish football given the general average intelligence of those in prominent positions. Sadly for him and us that doesn't reflect in his teams results which is how managers are judged not on whether they are articulate or not. 

See now that was a pointless retort , thats what winds me up with you. You can make good points at times and hold a discussion then you veer off into how can I slag CL. His IQ is neither here nor there nlr is how hes perceived as a person. His football brain and football IQ are far and away above anyone Iv met in the game or had the pleasure to talk football with. 

• redm locked this topic