Update from Ann

Chaps

46 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Only thing I'd like to have known is whether there's a fair bit cash available to overhaul the squad in the summer. 

Is that not the reason for the statement and asking for continuing backing?  Usually a fairly straightforward equation. Some are too obsessed with the lack of a threat to the manager to improve or get the sack, which again is part of the normal equation.It seems clear to me that the club need cash to be able to progress signings but obviously there are other calls on the cash such as the playing surface. 

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McCrae said:

Of course, but we have had far more than normal. 

Who hasn't ?

Geoff Kilpatrick
41 minutes ago, Coco said:

I hope the tenders on the pitch include companies who might be able to improve what is there.  There are all sorts of techniques to improve grass management which don't involve changing soil or replacing turf.  Talk of a million pounds to replace the park when there is such a poor squad and income generating stand features unfinished  looks hugely unbalanced in spending priorities. 

I agree with this. Spending circa £1m on the pitch is a nice to have, not a necessity. I would understand it more if Tynecastle was becoming multi-use but it isn't as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Hendricks said:

I certainly want what is best for the club and that's sure as hell not allowing significant numbers of ST holders to disappear if there is a way to retain them. Talk of infrastructure and painting stands may do it for some and thats their choice but others require to hear a bit more substantive plans in terms of our first team before parting with their hard earned again on a first team football structure which has underperformed massively. You do you though :thumbsup:

So your voice here is going to affect season ticket sales? Who do you think you are? Are you the self proclaimed voice of all Hearts fans? There was a vote recently and you are in the minority chum.

You want whats best for the club do you? Why then have you been the most negative poster for as long as I care to remember? That is not what is best for the club? Your anti Levein tirade for the last X weeks? Best for the club? The CLUB supports the manager. If you want to support the club I suggest you pipe down and support the manager who despite you narrow minded opinion is undefeated at the new Tynie and put Hibs out the cup. The same manager who ended what no other club was able to do in 39 matches, beat Celtic. 

Infrastructure and painting stands whilst on first impressions may be the least of our worries but without paint metal rusts. Infrastructure is the very building blocks needed to create a stronger club. Do you wear glasses as your short term vision is that of a bat.

You bang on day after day about season ticket sales. I suggest you let other speak for themselves. If they chose not to renew it is their decision not yours. They are grown men and women. 

We have a management team in place who not only guided our club through administration but on to a new stand and significant growth as a business without your blinkered, anti 1 person crusade.

You are not qualified to boil an egg let alone run a business the size Hearts is and it will grow to further.

Your opinion is worth everything to you and nothing to anyone with more than 5 brain cells or those so short sighted they struggle to see the shadow before the train hits. 

41 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Exactly. Whilst I am pleased off field things are happening it’s the team that we all want to know about and how much money for transfers/wages we will have to make us competitive for a top 4 Place next year. 

There was just not enough content about the team for me in the statement or what the club sees as acceptable in terms of league position for next year. We must be top 4 next year. 

As much as we can afford.

Not a penny more, not a penny less.

I'll judge the club and the management by what they achieve, not what they spend.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

So your voice here is going to affect season ticket sales? Who do you think you are? Are you the self proclaimed voice of all Hearts fans? There was a vote recently and you are in the minority chum.

You want whats best for the club do you? Why then have you been the most negative poster for as long as I care to remember? That is not what is best for the club? Your anti Levein tirade for the last X weeks? Best for the club? The CLUB supports the manager. If you want to support the club I suggest you pipe down and support the manager who despite you narrow minded opinion is undefeated at the new Tynie and put Hibs out the cup. The same manager who ended what no other club was able to do in 39 matches, beat Celtic. 

Infrastructure and painting stands whilst on first impressions may be the least of our worries but without paint metal rusts. Infrastructure is the very building blocks needed to create a stronger club. Do you wear glasses as your short term vision is that of a bat.

You bang on day after day about season ticket sales. I suggest you let other speak for themselves. If they chose not to renew it is their decision not yours. They are grown men and women. 

We have a management team in place who not only guided our club through administration but on to a new stand and significant growth as a business without your blinkered, anti 1 person crusade.

You are not qualified to boil an egg let alone run a business the size Hearts is and it will grow to further.

Your opinion is worth everything to you and nothing to anyone with more than 5 brain cells or those so short sighted they struggle to see the shadow before the train hits. 

Anyone paying attention to any pish written on here is wasting their lives, quite frankly. The idea that anyone would be swayed by anything on here says more about the readers than the writers.

I would like to know details of the likely longevity of the proposed hybrid pitch and it's ongoing costs.      If the ongoing costs are reasonable and the longevity 'guarantees' an excellent pitch for say a period of 5-10 years+,    then I think the outlay will be worth it.     I would back the money being spent at the expense of other areas.      

People go on about the quality of the football on offer so why not give the players the best possible chance of playing good football?      If we carry on with an unreliable surface,    what's the point of trying to foster a great playing style?

19 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And the Hibs/Motherwell/Rangers/Ross C games the previous weeks?

Enjoyed the Hibs game because it's a derby and I love em, enjoyed the Motherwell game and really should have won. You ignored the Killie game which obviously we should have won, Rangers game was a poor performance but credit to the opposition for upping their game. Ross County was decent and again I thought we should have won.

Decent football all round and a lot better than most SPFL games if your using that as a benchmark.

23 minutes ago, Gambo said:

And the Hibs/Motherwell/Rangers/Ross C games the previous weeks?

I keep reading stuff like this. What is it you actually want. Are you suggesting we should sack Levein? Or is this just noise in some attempt to argue with people who are trying to look at the bigger picture, and have accepted Levein needs a summer window and will undoubtedly get....its ****ing boring..

What's your solution???

I bet when Ann presses the send button on these updates, she does so while muttering, "Time to piss some folk on Kickback right off."

People expecting strong words about the footballing side in such a public statement are blatantly at it.  There's what you say in public, and then there's what you do in private.  

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Anyone paying attention to any pish written on here is wasting their lives, quite frankly. The idea that anyone would be swayed by anything on here says more about the readers than the writers.

In other words he is wasting his time.

32 minutes ago, Ryder said:

For what Spencer? A long stand and a left-handed Screwdriver? 

Come on big shot. You claimed I had made certain comments on this thread

Back it up Mothy

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, VladMagic said:

In other words he is wasting his time.

As is everyone on here. I don't see anything wrong with Hendricks holding an opinion and airing it.

johnking123

Would be nice to get around the 14000 mark again. But will need to sign some good players. Midfield need serious investment if we are to have a better season. Still think we will sell Cochrane and are just giving him a better contract so any team has to come in with a very good offer.

rick witter
8 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

As much as we can afford.

Not a penny more, not a penny less.

I'll judge the club and the management by what they achieve, not what they spend.

So how have you judged them this season then? If we don’t invest considerably in the team next year we will still be an average mid table side. 

August Landmesser
5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

So you are another one who thinks it would have been "amazing" to beat Motherwell to get to that Hampden SF.

Nope.

It would have been amazing to be in a SF, just like it was when we beat Ayr United to get to a SF. I couldn't give a **** who we beat along the way to get to a SF, being in one is the mark of a way above-average season.

i wish jj was my dad
48 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Exactly. Whilst I am pleased off field things are happening it’s the team that we all want to know about and how much money for transfers/wages we will have to make us competitive for a top 4 Place next year. 

There was just not enough content about the team for me in the statement or what the club sees as acceptable in terms of league position for next year. We must be top 4 next year. 

You are spot on. Vital infrastructure that will  be essential to our long term future is nowhere near as important as guaranteeing a top 4 finish. 

That attitude has served us really well in the past 20 years.

9 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

Personally, I think that to break even after the year we've had is some sort of amazing achievement! 

When you take into consideration the Main Stand debacle of having to sack the original planners and start again, and having to inject a fair bit of money into the team in January, then it's no mean feat! (We've also got a new pitch to lay)

There were plenty of other threads all being positive pre losing to Hibs and Motherwell, stating how we need to be patient and things will come together over the next 2-3 years, and personally, apart from the playing side (which is being worked on), we're not far away at all, nothing has changed, we still need to be patient and see what happens over the next 2-3 years, and once we're free of having to spend money on new stands, pitches, repairs etc etc, then the playing side of things should take care of itself. 

Rome wasn't built in a day! 

Positive post John.

Wish I was as convinced as you the playing side is close. Not convinced Levein is the man to sort it but he's going nowhere fast!

Meant to say, fancy a few before the Aberdeen game? Platform 5 is meant to be decent. Need to nip in there for a bit. Catch you there?

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I would like to know details of the likely longevity of the proposed hybrid pitch and it's ongoing costs.      If the ongoing costs are reasonable and the longevity 'guarantees' an excellent pitch for say a period of 5-10 years+,    then I think the outlay will be worth it.     I would back the money being spent at the expense of other areas.      

People go on about the quality of the football on offer so why not give the players the best possible chance of playing good football?      If we carry on with an unreliable surface,    what's the point of trying to foster a great playing style?

Wonder if there is any comeback on the supplier of the pitch a year ago? Apologies if this has been previously discussed and I have missed it in the sea of insults this place has become!

queensferryjambo
8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The supporters' bar will be in the main stand.

I was a meeting quite a while ago (sorry can't remember if it was shareholders, sponsors or another meeting) and Ann had said that they were hoping to make the under croft of the Wheatfield a supporters club once the shop and offices moved over into the new Main stand. 

Makes sense to use those areas since they have been kitted out really well and will be getting vacated.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, rick witter said:

So how have you judged them this season then? If we don’t invest considerably in the team next year we will still be an average mid table side. 

I think the necessary investment for the team will be available. If the focus was 100% on the club infrastructure, the signings of Mitchell, Adao and Naismith in January would not have happened. Instead, resources were diverted to the team.

1 minute ago, deejtee said:

Wonder if there is any comeback on the supplier of the pitch a year ago? Apologies if this has been previously discussed and I have missed it in the sea of insults this place has become!

I highly doubt it.       It's entirely influenced by factors outwith the contractor's control.     

3 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We have not done great.

We will spend what we have.

That is the state of things. We can jump about demanding we spend money, we can surmise how well we might do if we spend £xxx or £xxxx

It wont make any difference, our finances will be dictated by how much we have to spend (pitch/stand/youth) and what we bring in (season tickets/merchendising/pies)

That might mean we will be average, it might mean we are world beaters, it doesn't matter a jot.

What you or I think we should spend or what we need to spend to succeed doesn't matter a jot either.

We will spend what we have available to spend.

Just now, Victorian said:

I highly doubt it.       It's entirely influenced by factors outwith the contractor's control.     

Such as the predictable Scottish weather and  being used to play football on? Accepting builders work but allowing for no football in the first third of the season it has been a bit of a disaster.

21 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Why does someone who has a different opinion to you need to pipe down?

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, deejtee said:

I think the problems go back to whoever Robinson got to relay the pitch, they put the wrong sand down and it’s never been right since. He then chose to take a payment off the firm instead of the rectifying the problem.

12 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Come on big shot. You claimed I had made certain comments on this thread

Back it up Mothy

Never said anything about this thread. You bash in though mate... I’m sure one of the big boys will give you a wee sympathy pat on the bottom. 

“Big shot” :rofl:

sairyinthat
1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

Well said Hendricks. The overall statement is pretty good - in everything concerning the playing side. Unless there is a team on the park the fans want to see everything else is secondary.

This needs to be reinforced by Ann, and not in the glib we must do better........

disagree with that,to me your reckoning is arse over tip.Stable financially well run club is what drives the team.Get that right and we get sustained year on year improvement in the team.

9 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

disagree with that,to me your reckoning is arse over tip.Stable financially well run club is what drives the team.Get that right and we get sustained year on year improvement in the team.

No no no

Spend money we don't have. Spend it now, before we have it!

Buy the success, success brings greater revenue, more money buys more success

It's a tried and tested formula, speculate to accumulate, it never fails. What could possibly go wrong?

8 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Maybe, but it’s still about making the right decisions at the top level.

We can still make an arse of things with or without good financial clout.

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, deejtee said:

They just supplied turf, the problems lie deeper than that. It's not the last pitch supplier to blame for those

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

And if we make an arse of it and we've spent a few years spending money we didn't have.... well we know how that ends

The Old Tolbooth
22 minutes ago, Beats said:

Positive post John.

Wish I was as convinced as you the playing side is close. Not convinced Levein is the man to sort it but he's going nowhere fast!

Meant to say, fancy a few before the Aberdeen game? Platform 5 is meant to be decent. Need to nip in there for a bit. Catch you there?

Sounds like a plan mate, not been in the rugger boozer for a while but quite like it. 

Levein will come good mate, I'm sure of it ?

Just now, davie1980 said:

And if we make an arse of it and we've spent a few years spending money we didn't have.... well we know how that ends

Eh?   We have a good financial position now and in the last year and have made an arse of it.

3 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

Sounds like a plan mate, not been in the rugger boozer for a while but quite like it. 

Levein will come good mate, I'm sure of it ?

Excellent ;)

7 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Never said anything about this thread. You bash in though mate... I’m sure one of the big boys will give you a wee sympathy pat on the bottom. 

“Big shot” :rofl:

You referenced Hendricks in your nonsensical rant earlier 

Billy Big Baws will be along to back you up just directly 

sairyinthat
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree that  but it is only my view I put forward

Just now, Spencer said:

You referenced Hendricks in your nonsensical rant earlier 

Billy Big Baws will be along to back you up just directly 

Big Shot does not need Billy Big Baws to back him up. Now if Charlie Big Bananas was to come along and throw his hat in the ring, then aye, maybe.

Have a word with yourself Spencer for the love of god. :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Eh?   We have a good financial position now and in the last year and have made an arse of it.

I didn't say weren't

I didn't say we hadn't

Footballfirst

The overwhelming message I take from the statement is that every pound is a prisoner and that we will have to be satisfied with jam tomorrow.

I'd expect that the club has only barely met its minimum financial and performance targets for this season, e.g. ST sales, match day revenue, hospitality, top 6 finish, transfer fee income.

The costs related the the Tynecastle development programme look as if they have gone well over budget (perhaps even more that has been communicated to date) to the extent that items previously included in the original budget, such as the new pitch and some the phase 3 development, don't presently have funding in place, hence the early call for cash and the increased ST prices.

I'm sure that Ann would prefer that any new funding provides an immediate return on the investment, e.g. hospitality, bars and other spectator facilities.  However it seems that some of the big ticket items such as the nursery and the pitch are now the top priorities but won't provide a direct return to the club.

It's all a fine balancing act. Ultimately the club's future prosperity will be dependent on success on the pitch, but while the bulk of income is derived from that source, so are the costs.  There is a need to ensure that investment in the football operation get's its share of any increased revenue.  To that extent I'd be more comfortable delaying some of the infrastructure programme until such time as it can be afforded.   

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The overwhelming message I take from the statement is that every pound is a prisoner and that we will have to be satisfied with jam tomorrow.

I'd expect that the club has only barely met its minimum financial and performance targets for this season, e.g. ST sales, match day revenue, hospitality, top 6 finish, transfer fee income.

The costs related the the Tynecastle development programme look as if they have gone well over budget (perhaps even more that has been communicated to date) to the extent that items previously included in the original budget, such as the new pitch and some the phase 3 development, don't presently have funding in place, hence the early call for cash and the increased ST prices.

I'm sure that Ann would prefer that any new funding provides an immediate return on the investment, e.g. hospitality, bars and other spectator facilities.  However it seems that some of the big ticket items such as the nursery and the pitch are now the top priorities but won't provide a direct return to the club.

It's all a fine balancing act. Ultimately the club's future prosperity will be dependent on success on the pitch, but while the bulk of income is derived from that source, so are the costs.  There is a need to ensure that investment in the football operation get's its share of any increased revenue.  To that extent I'd be more comfortable delaying some of the infrastructure programme until such time as it can be afforded.   

It does appear that way to me too. What I would say however, is that Ann Budge has pulled many a rabbit out of the hat thus far, and I expect she will announce another windfall to offset the costs at some point in the near future. She has an agreeable habit of attracting investment, often from sources that we may not have considered beforehand.

i wish jj was my dad
43 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

It really is that simple. 

1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

Image result for you mad

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:thumbsup:  Indeed. God alone knows what he is havering about. 

8 hours ago, Mort said:

Sorry to go against the grain here but I found it all to be a bit patronising.

Highlighting that its our first QF Scottish Cup appearance since 2012 like its some sort of achievement?

Assurances that everyone is focused on achieving a top six finish?

Great to hear all the off the pitch updates but spare me the nonsense about the failings of yet ANOTHER woeful season.

I expect you might be torn apart by some but I have sympathy with your view.  I would add that had this statement been on .net and made by Petrie, we would all interpret it as saying "we're skint".

I am in awe of what has been achieved in a short space of time but this statement does not have me jumping for joy.

1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

This is an outstanding post btw.

:greatpost:

3 hours ago, Hendricks said:

It may be your personality type to sweep everything under the carpet and pretend everything is rosy in the Jambo garden but some of us like to debate what could be done to improve our lot. If you don't like it, don't read it, nobody is forcing you to do so!  My main point with regards Budge's statement today is that she can't afford a further "poor season", not after this dismal one so her message with regards the team has to be a whole lot more decisive and upbeat and positive than today's was. Great stuff as usual about off field progress, a big fat MEH with regards to on it!  And especially on a day, only two thirds of the way through March  :rolleyes: she is asking our fanbase to come up with the readies and "back" her again.

My message would be, tell us about what your man proposes to do about the crap overall squad , tell us how he will be very active in getting pre contracts signed, tell us that he will have 3 or 4 senior strikers and replace (if necessary) our quality keeper and left back and bring in some genuine attacking quality in midfield, tell us how we are not at all happy at our failure to get to Cup semi's and finals and that it is something we are going to collectively prioritize, tell us that whilst we are excited about the youth system we owe our support to have a win now mentality too and that 10 league wins in 31 is simply not good enough for a club of our stature etc etc etc. There is plenty Budge could be saying about the football side of the club that would buy her significant grace and probably a good deal more cash in the coffers if she chose to do do. Instead those of us sceptical she has a clue what she's doing about the football side of the club are left thinking there's no urgency there and Levein is doing whatever the hell he likes under no pressure whatsoever. 

Or maybe I just have some perspective.

Pre-Mercer, the pieman, latter Romanov years and admin - genuine crises for Hearts, worthy of getting all angry.

Now - not a crises, just a poor season. Get angry by all means, but blowing it up into something bigger. Nah.

There are times to moan, boo, withdraw support and take action. This is a time to back the team.

Archived