Update from Ann

Chaps

13 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

That statement is a reality check for those that wanted their cake and to eat itas well. 

We are not a rich club. We have a fan base who are backing the club to the hilt. It would have been utterly amazing if we had got to Hamden and were sitting in a lofty league position alas it never happened. Our focus has had to be split to build an infrastructure for the future however the focus can steadily be shifted towards the on field product which God willing will bring the results we all crave. 

The statement like all the previous ones is keeping us informed and is written to make sure our feet are on the ground. 

Very good statement, thanks Ann. 

You would have been amazed if we had beaten Motherwell in the SC, and be sitting above Killie in the league??????

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mort said:

Sorry to go against the grain here but I found it all to be a bit patronising.

Highlighting that its our first QF Scottish Cup appearance since 2012 like its some sort of achievement?

Assurances that everyone is focused on achieving a top six finish?

Great to hear all the off the pitch updates but spare me the nonsense about the failings of yet ANOTHER woeful season.

Regretfully I have to agree.

9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

You would have been amazed if we had beaten Motherwell in the SC, and be sitting above Killie in the league??????

That is the part of the statement that annoys me.   Only a little, though.  

I don’t believe for a second that getting to the Scottish Cup QF shroud be seen as some sort or achievement.   Our league campaign will most likely end as a failure.    I would be surprised if Ann used such strong words though, publicly.  I hope that is her true view though. 

The statement as a whole, though, is pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

The product on the park is what needs improving most. I feel she should have acknowledged this more. This is what makes people buy season tickets. What she needs to remember is people will happily sit in the rain as long as they are watching a good team.

We are far from that at the moment.

All the rest was very informative and positive.

Agreed the product on the park needs improving. I do though think she has been right to keep focused on living within our means.  It would have been very easy and tempting to run up debt this year.  Hopefully when we move to fan ownership the people running the club then will have the same discipline.

4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Agreed the product on the park needs improving. I do though think she has been right to keep focused on living within our means.  It would have been very easy and tempting to run up debt this year.  Hopefully when we move to fan ownership the people running the club then will have the same discipline.

I totally agree - however I do believe that we have enough quality in our team to have beaten Motherwell in the SC, and finish above Killie in the League.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

I might be missing something but there is no committment to a hybrid new pitch just a quality new pitch.

The Hybrid pitch is a must in my eyes if we have to use more money from FoH to achieve that then okay with me.

Captain Sausage

This season hasn’t panned out how any of us would’ve liked. 

However, it is great to have a chairwoman who can come out and be that open and informative. 

No real spin, just facts. I like it. Well done Ann. 

12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I totally agree - however I do believe that we have enough quality in our team to have beaten Motherwell in the SC, and finish above Killie in the League.

We're still in with a shout for 5th. Re Motherwell, the thing is, we deserved to win that game. Mate who's a 'Well ST holder offered as much after the game. The result was a boot to the gonads, but perspective, we were very unlucky. 

22 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

If we had our strongest 11 available on a consistent basis... I think we would have beaten Motherwell and finished above Killie.  We have been very unlucky with injuries this year. 

47 minutes ago, Mort said:

Highlighting that its our first QF Scottish Cup appearance since 2012 like its some sort of achievement?

Great to hear all the off the pitch updates but spare me the nonsense about the failings of yet ANOTHER woeful season.

So you can surely see what the off pitch developments will bring to the first team and do for the future? She states clearly CL will be bringing in players and the academy will continue to supply players. 

I'm certain next years footballing targets will far exceed this seasons. CL isn't bulletproof he's firmly the man on the spot and with his relationship with Ann Budge we'll be a far far better team next year. They know the value of Season Tickets and how the first team effects sales, this will be the year we see the first team flourish.

Bad Religion
54 minutes ago, Mort said:

Football heritage.

8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

If we had our strongest 11 available on a consistent basis... I think we would have beaten Motherwell and finished above Killie.  We have been very unlucky with injuries this year. 

We have been unlucky with injuries - however IMO if we had started the game with the same players/tactics we had in the 2nd half we would have beaten Motherwell.

I can see she has basically said we are underperforming in the pitch I think we can all agree on that point.

However the statement reads to me of a rosy future and perhaps some need to grow a pair and suck it up for a bit. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
32 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Motherwell have only lost 1 cup tie to Celtic, gallantly and Killie are undefeated against Celtic and Rangers since Clarke arrived, those teams have done very well. We need to do better, we know this, but consider how many youngsters have been bled, how many injuries we have had and the uncertainty around the start of the season, then maybe it is not understandable or accepted, but realisic

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

So you can surely see what the off pitch developments will bring to the first team and do for the future? She states clearly CL will be bringing in players and the academy will continue to supply players. 

I'm certain next years footballing targets will far exceed this seasons. CL isn't bulletproof he's firmly the man on the spot and with his relationship with Ann Budge we'll be a far far better team next year. They know the value of Season Tickets and how the first team effects sales, this will be the year we see the first team flourish.

I would hope so. After we finished 3rd, Ann Budge stated she we would be "disappointed" if we only finished 3rd the following season.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Very good update in my opinion , roll on next season when we start on level playing field 

Francis Albert
18 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

The Hybrid pitch is a must in my eyes if we have to use more money from FoH to achieve that then okay with me.

Assuming the cost of replacing the existing pitch and under soil heating is say half a million and the cost of a state of the art hybrid alternative is say £1m then I think it would e short sighted to go for the former.

I know we need to be very cautious about debts but every efficient business uses debt as one form of finance and as with all things it is fine in moderation, particularly when we are talking about long term infrastructure benefits. .A loan at say 6% per annum (to pluck a number from the air!) would IMO be very much worthwhile if needed to bridge the funding gap. I think if the club offered an interest bearing facility at say 6% per annum over 3 to 5 years in the form for example of a 500 club scheme  this would be readily snapped up by fans - certainly none of my savings attract as good a rate.

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Motherwell have only lost 1 cup tie to Celtic, gallantly and Killie are undefeated against Celtic and Rangers since Clarke arrived, those teams have done very well. We need to do better, we know this, but consider how many youngsters have been bled, how many injuries we have had and the uncertainty around the start of the season, then maybe it is not understandable or accepted, but realistic

I accept that SG - my comments were aimed at the poster who said we were "not a rich Club" and as such he would be "utterly amazed if we got to Hampden" ie beat Motherwell.   Motherwell are certainly not a rich Club, and surely our standards have not fallen to the extent that a victory over them is a major surprise!

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Assuming the cost of replacing the existing pitch and under soil heating is say half a million and the cost of a state of the art hybrid alternative is say £1m then I think it would e short sighted to go for the former.

I know we need to be very cautious about debts but every efficient business uses debt as one form of finance and as with all things it is fine in moderation, particularly when we are talking about long term infrastructure benefits. .A loan at say 6% per annum (to pluck a number from the air!) would IMO be very much worthwhile if needed to bridge the funding gap. I think if the club offered an interest bearing facility at say 6% per annum over 3 to 5 years in the form for example of a 500 club scheme  this would be readily snapped up by fans - certainly none of my savings attract as good a rate.

Good point FA

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, Rents said:

I can see she has basically said we are underperforming in the pitch I think we can all agree on that point.

However the statement reads to me of a rosy future and perhaps some need to grow a pair and suck it up for a bit. 

Very much this. This season might not appear to be a success but long term it could be one of our most significant steps to long term progress if you scratch below the surface.

May one-six
1 hour ago, Mort said:

I have to agree with this. I think Ann's great and a real plus for the club, but the statement seems to excuse the poor fare that's been on show for most of this season and it sets out extremely vague ambitions for the future. I'm assuming that Ann didn't compose this herself, but merely signed off on it. If so, I think she should have cast a more critical eye over it before giving it the OK. 

Predicted in another thread last week that we’d be hearing from Budge shortly and this would be the exact tone of the communication. As always I’m glad of her impact and influence in terms of building the infrastructure off the park. There is no doubting the huge progress on a number of fronts and unlike her Head Coach there appears to be a taking of accountability and responsibility when things go wrong. Far less enamored by the frankly blasé sweeping under the carpet of another dire first team season whilst at the same time begging for further “backing”. Other than leaning on the academy for success there is precious little in the statement that provides confidence that the footballing side of the club will be any better in 2018-19!  She should be delivering a positive message loud and clear on that front if she wants a high % of ST renewals as it’s a better team that will see her receive continued financial support from some. 

What would an increased turnover by £1m be? What was our turnover this season?

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

That’s true but your loan would have no security behind it so riskier than bank savings. 

portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, Dunks said:

Supporters bar and coffee shop is a new one on me - any ideas where in the main stand it is planned for?

I believe it is meant to be on the 1st floor, the only floor on which the suites are presently open. Not sure if it is a reflection that these haven't been doing as well as was expected, or if they underestimated the amount of space available on each floor and feel they can accommodate all aspects of hospitality on the 2nd floor and in the top level restaurant area. I would tend to go with the latter

15 minutes ago, Ryder said:

What would an increased turnover by £1m be? What was our turnover this season?

Think it was £11m so moving to £12m or thereabouts

JamboGraham

"Our league position is not where we would hope to be at this point in the season"

"Losing to Motherwell was a blow"

She has clearly referenced her disappointment with the first team in both the League and Cup this season. What else could we reasonably expect to see her say here?...

The on the park stuff is debated to death via traditional media and social media, our DOF and coaches give umpteen interviews every week, do we really need another take on it. Ann is the business expert, I want to hear her talk about the business side of the club.

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s true but your loan would have no security behind it so riskier than bank savings. 

Understood but 6% would still give a bit of a risk premium compared to not much more than 1% from banks. And while I am generally extremely risk averse I feel that I know this particular business well enough to assess the risk over the short term at least as pretty low. And it didn't put people off the 500 club idea before, when the business was perhaps a little less transparent.

5 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

"Our league position is not where we would hope to be at this point in the season"

"Losing to Motherwell was a blow"

She has clearly referenced her disappointment with the first team in both the League and Cup this season. What else could we reasonably expect to see her say here?...

The on the park stuff is debated to death via traditional media and social media, our DOF and coaches give umpteen interviews every week, do we really need another take on it. Ann is the business expert, I want to hear her talk about the business side of the club.

Its a fairly open and honest statement, with a little bit of predictable positive spin on it - which should be expected obviously.

But, with regards to the above, I think perhaps it woulda been good to hear whats going to change to make sure we're not in the same position last year.

Other than acknowledging that theres work to be done in the transfer market, I don't find myself sitting here any more convinced it wont just be 'more of the same' next year to be honest.

I will stress, before the usual suspect jump on board what I've said above, that I don't think its a 'bad' statement as such. If anything, i'm just a bit 'meh' to it.

38 minutes ago, McCrae said:

True.

add the fact that Killie have had a complete stormer which was unthinkable 

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

A Hamden final and second in the league that woukd have been amazing. ( winning both would have even better) 

11 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Chee-us! ?

13 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

That's correct.

JamboGraham
4 minutes ago, Erik said:

Its a fairly open and honest statement, with a little bit of predictable positive spin on it - which should be expected obviously.

But, with regards to the above, I think perhaps it woulda been good to hear whats going to change to make sure we're not in the same position last year.

Other than acknowledging that theres work to be done in the transfer market, I don't find myself sitting here any more convinced it wont just be 'more of the same' next year to be honest.

I will stress, before the usual suspect jump on board what I've said above, that I don't think its a 'bad' statement as such. If anything, i'm just a bit 'meh' to it.

Fair enough, it's perhaps down to our own interpretation but I think the things that are going to change are identified..

- continue to invest in our various programmes and indeed in our supporting infrastructure …both physical and in people terms

- Anticipated additional development of talent from Academy to First Team

- Investment in a new pitch

- Made it clear that work is to be done in the transfer window

So money for new players, more talent from the academy, investment in our physical infrastructure and people at Riccarton, install a decent playing surface.

31 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Predicted in another thread last week that we’d be hearing from Budge shortly and this would be the exact tone of the communication. As always I’m glad of her impact and influence in terms of building the infrastructure off the park. There is no doubting the huge progress on a number of fronts and unlike her Head Coach there appears to be a taking of accountability and responsibility when things go wrong. Far less enamored by the frankly blasé sweeping under the carpet of another dire first team season whilst at the same time begging for further “backing”. Other than leaning on the academy for success there is precious little in the statement that provides confidence that the footballing side of the club will be any better in 2018-19!  She should be delivering a positive message loud and clear on that front if she wants a high % of ST renewals as it’s a better team that will see her receive continued financial support from some. 

I don't know what you expect her to say about the results on the field.  The target was top four and we failed to achieve that.  She's as disappointed as any of us, but it isn't something she should fall on her sword over.  She's aware of the fans' expectations and she has confidence that CL will produce a better team next season.

19 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

A Hamden final and second in the league that woukd have been amazing. ( winning both would have even better) 

A Hampden final and 2nd in the League would be "amazing"....with respect that's not what you said in your post that I replied to.

August Landmesser
58 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I accept that SG - my comments were aimed at the poster who said we were "not a rich Club" and as such he would be "utterly amazed if we got to Hampden" ie beat Motherwell.   Motherwell are certainly not a rich Club, and surely our standards have not fallen to the extent that a victory over them is a major surprise!

The poster actually said it would be 'utterly amazing' if we were at Hampden.

Which it would be, a cup SF is an amazing thing to get.

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I don't know what you expect her to say about the results on the field.  The target was top four and we failed to achieve that.  She's as disappointed as any of us, but it isn't something she should fall on her sword over.  She's aware of the fans' expectations and she has confidence that CL will produce a better team next season.

Personally I’d like her to say that the league position is unacceptable, that 10 wins in 31 league games nowhere near good enough and that massive improvement needs to be made in our cup efforts in both domestic cups next season. That she has and is making it abundantly clear to all those running the 1st team that the pressure is increasing and that they are all being scrutinized. That she can only take the heat for them for so long. Instead she made some nonsense comments about people being focused on securing top 6 and that we’d made the 1/4 of the cup for the first time since 2012!!! Well haud me back! Going on the initial reaction to ST packages and significant numbers of people suggesting they may pick and choose games next season due to cost, never mind those who have misgivings purely from a football stand point it’s my opinion her message about on field matters will need to be a hell of a lot more succinct and positive than this one over the next month or two! 

Cut The Crap
12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Agreed. There's little to be gained and quite a lot to lose by airing our dirty laundry in public in the way some people seem to expect. I trust that those in charge will have been privately reminded of their responsibilities in terms of on-field performance for next season.

24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Understood but 6% would still give a bit of a risk premium compared to not much more than 1% from banks. And while I am generally extremely risk averse I feel that I know this particular business well enough to assess the risk over the short term at least as pretty low. And it didn't put people off the 500 club idea before, when the business was perhaps a little less transparent.

Oh dear.  The 500 club and 6% loans.

A woman who been successful in business life and probably worth millions and you're telling her what she should do.

The tone of her statement suggests she is extremely keen NOT to take on unmanageable debt and this is further evidenced by her request to fans to buy their ST early which suggests she only wants to spend money that she is certain of rather than hoping it might come.  Whether this early money will be used to enhance the pitch, be applied to stand costs or even get in new players I don't know, but it definitely looks to me that she wants to hand the club over to FoH with no debt or as little as possible.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Would the setup and admin costs not make this an unattractive way to borrow money for the club?

I know it's been done before.

6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

The poster actually said it would be 'utterly amazing' if we were at Hampden.

Which it would be, a cup SF is an amazing thing to get.

So you are another one who thinks it would have been "amazing" to beat Motherwell to get to that Hampden SF.

7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

A Hampden final and 2nd in the League would be "amazing"....with respect that's not what you said in your post that I replied to.

Maybe not specific enough for you,  note to self ........ :blink:

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Maybe not specific enough for you,  note to self ........ :blink:

:thumb:

10 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Personally I’d like her to say that the league position is unacceptable, that 10 wins in 31 league games nowhere near good enough and that massive improvement needs to be made in our cup efforts in both domestic cups next season. That she has and is making it abundantly clear to all those running the 1st team that the pressure is increasing and that they are all being scrutinized. That she can only take the heat for them for so long. Instead she made some nonsense comments about people being focused on securing top 6 and that we’d made the 1/4 of the cup for the first time since 2012!!! Well haud me back! Going on the initial reaction to ST packages and significant numbers of people suggesting they may pick and choose games next season due to cost, never mind those who have misgivings purely from a football stand point it’s my opinion her message about on field matters will need to be a hell of a lot more succinct and positive than this one over the next month or two! 

Frankly, you are a bit of a sweetie-wife who expects far more than you are entitled to. :lol:

Archived