Season tickets - over 13,000 sold - half seasons on sale ( edited )

williamgerrard

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Jimmy Wardhaugh got three, can't remember who got the others. Hooked after that. Lucky to have seen some great players during that time. Great manager who carried the team with him. I always reckoned that the seeds of our decline came with our ditching him. We had a succession of losers after that right the way through till Doddie got the job.

Wouldn't disagree with that. Almost a different sport these days though. 

How much would Dave Mackay go for? Willie Bauld? Priceless. England and Sky killed it in the 90s 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• JALBO

• Alex Kintner

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Do you have someone in mind ?

I thought the form was to look at what managers are doing relatively well on small budgets.  So I imagine the current man to take Hearts forward (now that Archibald and Wright have fallen away) will be the boy at Livingston.  Or Steve Clark.

4 hours ago, kila said:

Is the barcode any bigger than it was last season? Assuming you're in the new stand

Just exactly the same design.

*Should point out I've moved seat within the main stand hence the new card so not sure if everyone is getting a new one or not.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

:cornette:

According to you everything is Levein's fault.  In any case you are a week late to my post and I didn't reply further as others such as JF said all I needed to say.  I notice you picked on my post though - you are like a broken record and have made a fool out of yourself on this thread with your failed predictions of doom and gloom.

Not everything Frank. Credit where credit is due - he has done well with the Academy and its starting to bear fruit now. But if you are in a well paid job then you have to take the responsibility too. You just have to look at the number of managerial changes in the EPL to see that well remunerated roles have concomitant demands.

Didnt realise you posted a week ago. I hope my post was worth waiting for.:thumbsup:  

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Wouldn't disagree with that. Almost a different sport these days though. 

How much would Dave Mackay go for? Willie Bauld? Priceless. England and Sky killed it in the 90s 

The games changed alright. Dave Mackay would have a job on his hands staying on the pitch these days. You are right though money has actually killed the game in many ways. Personally speaking I ditched my Sky Sports subscription some time ago. Got fed up with the way they treat the game up here. Mere crumbs for us as opposed to the virtual Fortunes thrown at the game down south. Didn't really want to see the majority of my subscription money going into the coffers of Arsenal, ManUnited or any of the rest of them.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Deevers said:

The games changed alright. Dave Mackay would have a job on his hands staying on the pitch these days. You are right though money has actually killed the game in many ways. Personally speaking I ditched my Sky Sports subscription some time ago. Got fed up with the way they treat the game up here. Mere crumbs for us as opposed to the virtual Fortunes thrown at the game down south. Didn't really want to see the majority of my subscription money going into the coffers of Arsenal, ManUnited or any of the rest of them.

Something missing from this forum, is tales from the 50s through the 70s. Club went from losers to riches to rags again. I can only but imagine how magical those days were (not the 70s!)

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Something missing from this forum, is tales from the 50s through the 70s. Club went from losers to riches to rags again. I can only but imagine how magical those days were (not the 70s!)

Certainly not the seventies, a downward spiral of increasingly poor players and increasingly hapless managers. Standing on the terraces was no bed of roses then. Mind you the spontaneous demonstrations at the back of the old stand demanding the sackings of managers were something else. Thank god Wallace Mercer appeared when he did otherwise the club was a goner. If anyone deserves a statue outside the new stand then it's him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Certainly not the seventies, a downward spiral of increasingly poor players and increasingly hapless managers. Standing on the terraces was no bed of roses then. Mind you the spontaneous demonstrations at the back of the old stand demanding the sackings of managers were something else. Thank god Wallace Mercer appeared when he did otherwise the club was a goner. If anyone deserves a statue outside the new stand then it's him.

That's really what I first remember, the couple of years leading to that. The fences going up as well. A club truly frustrated in the 70s and why Hearts chose me, I didn't choose them, because people actually cared, sometimes not shown in the right way. But it was the Seventies!

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It's something we will have to agree to differ on. In your post you said it would be relatively easy for us to change the way we play at home, and lose games. I look at it on the flip side, if you can play in a certain way at home, which works, why would you not consider playing the same way on the road. Rather than look to change in a downward direction, why not look to change upwards. Even a few of the players have mentioned it recently, they can't understand why they have to play the way they do away from home. Rightly, or wrongly, I interpret that as the team are playing in the way they are asked to play away from home, and it isn't working. I do think we make a lot of teams look better than they are when we go away and play against them. If any club, not just us, want to get anywhere in this division, they should be looking at the sort of team(s) that don't change the way they play against opposition depending on the surrounds. The obvious one is Celtic, and I say that while accepting that overall we have a way to go to reach them. But replicating the way they approach games is a good starting point, and not difficult to implement. It's a game of football, well to us it is, to those participating it is their profession and you should aim to be as good at your profession as you can, whether that be in a football park or sitting in an office. Lets try and give those playing for us at the moment a chance to show what they can do every week instead of every fortnight.

I take it you'll have come to the conclusion that I don't agree with you, that in the profession of football it isn't possible to perform to a certain level each week. I still cannot understand why such consistency cannot be aimed for.

Who said that?

1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

Not that you care but in 1987-88 we only took 4 points from h1bs, dropped 4 points from our last 3 games and finished 10 behind celtic.  We should have been champions again that season.  

Season 1989-90 finished 7 points behind the huns.   12 draws in 36 games and only 4 points from 16 against the old scum.  We should have won that season too.

Season 1991-92.  Only 8 defeats in 44 matches. 27 wins and end up 9 points behind Deadgers again.  A team who were already being subsidised by a bank and avoiding their taxes.  We were top of the league after 28 matches having just beaten celtic.  Lost 4 nil to the sheep in our worst ever defeat to them, then away at airdrie followed by losing at home to J McCluskey and the title was gone. 

Nobody knows exactly how many points the GFA(gtf) referees cost us in those seasons and how many they added to the arse-cheeks. But if it wasn't enough to cost us another 3 titles then they wouldn't have been doing their jobs.

Good ****ing grief. Where to start here I have no idea!! 

:conspiracy:

1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

Not that you care but in 1987-88 we only took 4 points from h1bs, dropped 4 points from our last 3 games and finished 10 behind celtic.  We should have been champions again that season.  

Season 1989-90 finished 7 points behind the huns.   12 draws in 36 games and only 4 points from 16 against the old scum.  We should have won that season too.

Season 1991-92.  Only 8 defeats in 44 matches. 27 wins and end up 9 points behind Deadgers again.  A team who were already being subsidised by a bank and avoiding their taxes.  We were top of the league after 28 matches having just beaten celtic.  Lost 4 nil to the sheep in our worst ever defeat to them, then away at airdrie followed by losing at home to J McCluskey and the title was gone. 

Nobody knows exactly how many points the GFA(gtf) referees cost us in those seasons and how many they added to the arse-cheeks. But if it wasn't enough to cost us another 3 titles then they wouldn't have been doing their jobs.

WTF does that mean????

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The only team in the division who had a poorer record away from home than us was Partick Thistle. The biggest disparity between points won at home and points won away was us, by a fairly comfortable margin.

Hamilton and Ross County had worse away records than us. Dundee picked up the same number of points away from home as we did, in one less game, but their post-split away games weren't at Pittodrie, £1brox and Rugby Park, so I'd argue they had an easier set of away fixtures, so could be regarded as also having done worse than us.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

4 if you count ‘65. ?

Should have said since 1965

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Hamilton and Ross County had worse away records than us. Dundee picked up the same number of points away from home as we did, in one less game, but their post-split away games weren't at Pittodrie, £1brox and Rugby Park, so I'd argue they had an easier set of away fixtures, so could be regarded as also having done worse than us.

I had to look the information up, and it was one of the websites that produce this sort of information. It was laid out in percentage terms, and the only team with a lower percentage than us away from home was Partick Thistle. As for your other post, two of the players I've heard talk about the way we play away from home recently were Christophe Berra and Steven Naismith, when I say heard I mean within conversation rather than what I read in any news article or such like.

FarmerTweedy
Just now, portobellojambo1 said:

I had to look the information up, and it was one of the websites that produce this sort of information. It was laid out in percentage terms, and the only team with a lower percentage than us away from home was Partick Thistle. As for your other post, two of the players I've heard talk about the way we play away from home recently were Christophe Berra and Steven Naismith, when I say heard I mean within conversation rather than what I read in any news article or such like.

Percentages of what? I don't know what the site you were looking at was saying, but it's a straight fact that Hamilton and Ross County had worse away records than us.

As for what Berra and Naismith have said to you, I can't really give much of a view on that without knowing exactly what they said and the context.

5 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Deevers we have something in common.

My first ever Hearts match is the same game as you.

20000 attendance for a LC match against Queens Park and hammered them 9-2.

I couldn't remember the goalscorers but I do remember being there.

Did your Dad take you to Love Street to see the title being clinched ?

I had been in Leith hospital for eye surgery and went straight to the Portobello HS bus from the hospital.

It's all a bit vague now as I was only six but I remember the fans sitting on the roof of the bus on the road home. One thing that has changed is a lot of them went to the cup final the following week to cheer on the Hibs against Clyde.

I agree with you on the above post if it hadn’t been for Mr Mercer we would have been history.

A statue on foundation plaza is the least our saviour deserves.

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Percentages of what? I don't know what the site you were looking at was saying, but it's a straight fact that Hamilton and Ross County had worse away records than us.

As for what Berra and Naismith have said to you, I can't really give much of a view on that without knowing exactly what they said and the context.

I was looking at the information here: http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=scotland

It is the section with the heading " relative home/away performances".

I've no problem with you not giving a view as you weren't involved in the conversations, and I've got no problem with you calling me a liar should you choose to do so. Don't worry about having such an opinion or thought, it is quite common place on here. Information has been put on here which goes all the way back to the top of the tree, but some have rubbished it, it is just the way JKB functions.

10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Deevers we have something in common.

My first ever Hearts match is the same game as you.

20000 attendance for a LC match against Queens Park and hammered them 9-2.

I couldn't remember the goalscorers but I do remember being there.

Did your Dad take you to Love Street to see the title being clinched ?

I had been in Leith hospital for eye surgery and went straight to the Portobello HS bus from the hospital.

It's all a bit vague now as I was only six but I remember the fans sitting on the roof of the bus on the road home. One thing that has changed is a lot of them went to the cup final the following week to cheer on the Hibs against Clyde.

I agree with you on the above post if it hadn’t been for Mr Mercer we would have been history.

A statue on foundation plaza is the least our saviour deserves.

Missed that one. The Old Boy worked shifts and was working that Saturday. 

Memories of of some great games at that time and some wonderful players. Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh of course, Dave Mackay and Alec Young. Into the sixties still with good players but not of the calibre of the fifties team. The 64/65 side was pretty good but the shock of losing on that last day had a huge impact on the club. Players went and the manager was shown the door. I often wonder what might have happened if he had been allowed to rebuild instead of John Harvey. A different outcome I reckon.  Anyway, great days and we have rich memories of that time.

• Moderators

Can you all get back to discussing season tickets please? If you’d like to analyse last year’s performances there’s plenty of other threads for that. 

7 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Missed that one. The Old Boy worked shifts and was working that Saturday. 

Memories of of some great games at that time and some wonderful players. Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh of course, Dave Mackay and Alec Young. Into the sixties still with good players but not of the calibre of the fifties team. The 64/65 side was pretty good but the shock of losing on that last day had a huge impact on the club. Players went and the manager was shown the door. I often wonder what might have happened if he had been allowed to rebuild instead of John Harvey. A different outcome I reckon.  Anyway, great days and we have rich memories of that time.

Yes great memories but I'm sure we will have plenty more days in the sun.

What I would give to see us win the league. We can dream.

Anyway we can't be far away from a 'club statement' now can we ?

7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Yes great memories but I'm sure we will have plenty more days in the sun.

What I would give to see us win the league. We can dream.

Anyway we can't be far away from a 'club statement' now can we ?

Hopefully. With good ST sales and a full stadium giving backing to a good side you never know what might happen.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Should have said since 1965

The 0 - 2 defeat by Kilmarnock in ‘65 was my first ever Hearts match. ?

johnthomas
1 hour ago, JKBMod 7 said:

Can you all get back to discussing season tickets please? If you’d like to analyse last year’s performances there’s plenty of other threads for that. 

Think we are on last century analysis now 

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, JKBMod 7 said:

Amen to this

5 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not at all, and I never did. But I am also able to put things into context, and I also realise the abilities of others, inevitably have an impact on my successes and failures

Never mind context think like a winner and it rubs of on everyone that comes in contact with you.

Always be in it to win it.

scott herbertson
9 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

11,000 season tickets sold is pretty good for the sheep. 

They have had a price freeze and an early bird discount this year, which will have helped greatly. 

I dont think  that’s what they article says. The 11000 is last year’s total before the start of the season.

Edited by scott herbertson

All Out Attack
36 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I dont think  that’s what they article says. The 11000 is last year’s total before the start of the season.

You are right. 

JamboGraham
3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I was looking at the information here: http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=scotland

That site is one of the better stats ones out there. I see what you were looking at. The table shows the percentage breakdown of points won home and away. However it is calculated by individual team. So the 37% for us still returns more actual points than Hamilton, Partick and Ross Co. as we have more points to divide in the first place. PS It’s still a very poor figure so not one I would be looking to defend!!!

JamboGraham
2 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

That site is one of the better stats ones out there. I see what you were looking at. The table shows the percentage breakdown of points won home and away. However it is calculated by individual team. So the 37% for us still returns more actual points than Hamilton, Partick and Ross Co. as we have more points to divide in the first place. PS It’s still a very poor figure so not one I would be looking to defend!!!

Just saw the mods instruction to stay on topic...so....we get most

of our points in our home matches which is what you get with a season ticket so roll up, roll up!!!

8 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

From an HMFC point of view would it not make more sense if we approached games away from home in the same manner we approach them at Tynecastle. Why look to try and even things up by going for a negative approach across all games rather than looking to try and even things up by approaching all games in a positive manner. If a team come to Tynecastle and cannot cope with the way we play why would you consider changing that way of playing away from home and give them a chance to compete. Just treat it as football match, irrespective of the venue, approach all games in the same manner, It isn't a different group of team that we are playing away from home, it is the same teams as those that come to Tynecastle and struggle. Why not look to make them struggle when they are at home as well.

I kind of agree with you PJ but there is the other side of the coin as well in that those teams who cannot cope with our style of play at Tynecastle are maybe playing a different style away from home as well. Seems mad to me.

4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Do you have someone in mind ?

If i was looking for this person i'd hope to find him. With all the resources Hearts have it has to be a top priority to have potential manager lined up to replace Levein when he leaves the job. Forget his bootroom idea it is just stupid in this day and age.

portobellojambo1
16 minutes ago, graygo said:

I kind of agree with you PJ but there is the other side of the coin as well in that those teams who cannot cope with our style of play at Tynecastle are maybe playing a different style away from home as well. Seems mad to me.

I think they are only able to play differently because we allow them to, because of the way we approach games away from home. If we are playing a style at Tynecastle which the opposition cannot cope with I just find it so difficult to understand why we would move away from such a style when we go on the road. If something works then why break it, play our way and force them to cope with it, don't sit off them and let them dictate how the game will develop. I'm not one of those who thinks we can play 38 games in a league season and win them all, but I would like to see us at least try and win every game we play in. In the season just finished from 60 points available on the road we picked up 18. It doesn't matter how you look at it, it ain't good viewing.

Apologies to JKBMod7 - I replied to the above post without looking at the last few posts on the thread, just seen it just now as I was looknig back over the last few posts.

Edited by portobellojambo1

6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

You didn't rate Alex MacDonald then

Who should Mercer have appointed? Would you have kept Bobby Moncur?

Johnny Harvey, Bobby Seith, John Haggart,Willie Ormond, Bobby Moncur, Tony Ford, Tommy McLean, JJ (2nd time), Romanov's puppets like Rix,  Neilson's last 8 months, Cathro  all these were at one time or another failed. Do you disagree.

Edited by mitch41

5 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

Did you win those games against teams who have their own pet referees?  Did you win those games when your best players were suspended while their thugs were free to play?  Did you win those games when your best players were stretchered off after being crippled by their untouchable captains?

Scottish football is corrupt. Matches are routinely fixed and HMFC will never be allowed to win the title.

We weren't softies do you remember Alex Ferguson & Jim McLean taking on the old firm and their referees ect and beating them. Rise above them and take them all on. Fight against corruption and bias or raise the white flag. I know what i'd do.

BobbyJenkins
21 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Johnny Harvey, Bobby Seith, John Haggart,Willie Ormond, Bobby Moncur, Tony Ford, Tommy McLean, JJ (2nd time), Romanov's puppets like Rix,  Neilson's last 8 months, Cathro  all these were at one time or another failed. Do you disagree.

Mitch will only be happy with the manager if he’s winning things from the off. Of course, Mitch has no suggestions for who that successful manager would be. 

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I think the over 60s seem to be more feral than the under 20s.

I am putting that down to their own personal clock ticking down 

What it suggests to me is that the guy won't accept anything but the halcyon days of Tommy Walker being in charge and even that ended badly. I'd love to have similar levels of success but taking out your frustration one one guy for 50 odd years of underachieving is hardly rational.

Gorgie_Rules

If we had reached 12,000 you would have thought the club would have announced it by now. Would be a good news story which would potentially encourage those that are maybe still swaying, especially before pay day the end of this month for many.

May be announced by week end after today's positive FoH news

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

What part of dot counting do 87.9% of posters on this thread fail to comprehend?

100% of it

FarmerTweedy
6 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I've no problem with you not giving a view as you weren't involved in the conversations, and I've got no problem with you calling me a liar should you choose to do so. Don't worry about having such an opinion or thought, it is quite common place on here. Information has been put on here which goes all the way back to the top of the tree, but some have rubbished it, it is just the way JKB functions.

I don't know what you're looking at in that 'relative home/away performances' thing, or in any other bit of that website, that could possibly lead you to conclude that only Partick had a worse away record than Hearts.  I'm genuinely utterly baffled!  By the way, the table of away results is right above the 'relative home/away' thing, clearly showing us in 8th!

Didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting you were a liar, I just meant that sometimes it's impossible to judge the meaning of what someone says without knowing the exact words and exact context and that, as I wasn't party to the conversation you referred to, I can't judge what was meant.  Contrary to that would be a recent direct quote from Naismith in an article (possibly on the scotsman website, can't remember for sure) where he said something along the lines of the players had had discussions about the away form and they couldn't really understand why they've been playing the way they have away from home.  Some people on jkb jumped on the 'playing the way they have' bit as being relatd to, and a criticism of, Levein's tactics in away games, but I don't believe it was meant like that at all, to me the wording and context were fairly clear that he was talking about the poor quality of play, eg poor passing, poor finishing, etc.

FarmerTweedy
6 hours ago, JKBMod 7 said:

Sorry!

4 hours ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Mitch will only be happy with the manager if he’s winning things from the off. Of course, Mitch has no suggestions for who that successful manager would be. 

Your having a laugh. Do we not have people running our club to do that. I mean if they can't identify talent why are they there. Is it all about pals and family or the best person for the job.

The Treasurer
12 hours ago, mitch41 said:

If i was looking for this person i'd hope to find him. With all the resources Hearts have it has to be a top priority to have potential manager lined up to replace Levein when he leaves the job. Forget his bootroom idea it is just stupid in this day and age.

So you're answer is no.

You want Levein out but you've no idea who should replace him.

That's a good plan

10 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

So you're answer is no.

You want Levein out but you've no idea who should replace him.

That's a good plan

That’s not a valid argument. So if we finish 6th again next season with no cup run and people on kickback can’t think of a replacement we should just keep him in charge? It’s upto the club to find a suitable replacement if someone is not up to the job.

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, karipidis said:

That’s not a valid argument. So if we finish 6th again next season with no cup run and people on kickback can’t think of a replacement we should just keep him in charge? It’s upto the club to find a suitable replacement if someone is not up to the job.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Of course the club would need to find a replacement for Levein or anyone else who wasn't doing their job.

I asked Mitch, who is very vocal about wanting Levein out, who he would replace him with.

So far he's failed to answer that simple question