Sweet Caroline

Fandango

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

For what it is worth.

In my part of the Wheatfield, quite a few joined in the Billy Boys song. A small, but noisy, proportion kept going into the third line. Of those that did, every one sang 'Fenian'.

Long time since I encountered this near me.

Nice guy who sits near me with two young children, was at this game without the kids (primary school age or younger). He's a grown man in his forties, but happy to sing about Fenian blood. I'd like to think that if his kids had been present he would have desisted. "What's that you're singing, dad?" 

Not a single one of you who defend this nonsense have EVER explained why Hearts fans, of all people, should sing these words. So, please explain the words and the meaning.

Words mean something. What on earth does being up to your knees in Fenian blood mean to a Hearts fan? And why Billy boys? As far as I know, both are references to 1930s Glasgow gangs. It really couldn't be clearer.

THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE. PUT A STOP TO THIS FILTH.

Rant over for now.

A fenian to me is your typical IRA supporting celtic fan or not so typical tri colour waving hibs fan. 

Apart from watching peaky blinders I've never heard this word other than refering to hibs or Celtic.

I think if we get a good collection of songs and chants to replace the old non PC songs this would fade out.  We literally have no songbook, majority of chants are shit

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jb66 said:

We literally have no songbook, majority of chants are shit

Not sure I follow your definition of Fenian but I agree with your comment about the songbook. 

22 hours ago, HMFC4ME said:

Might be a daft question but what's the significance of Sweet Caroline, is there any "meaning" or was it just random and caught on?

Anyone know our connection....if any??

I know its the anthem of the Boston Red Sox.

On 22/01/2018 at 14:32, Thomaso said:

The idiots singing the "FTP" bit need to have word!   Could be a cracking song for us but it is being ruined!

I’m not condoning this but have a word man! FFS! 

Are you Ann Budge in disguise? 

6 minutes ago, red said:

I’m not condoning this but have a word man! FFS! 

Are you Ann Budge in disguise? 

Adding in Sectarian bits and pieces, even in jest is utterly pathetic, boring, adds zero humour and just associates us with Sevco in people's eyes. Sweet Caroline is a great party song and no pathetic cave man ad-lib lyrics are required.  I hated hearing irrelevant sectarian crap 30 years ago and hoped it would be long gone by now but sadly not.

Just now, SwindonJambo said:

Adding in Sectarian bits and pieces, even in jest is utterly pathetic, boring, adds zero humour and just associates us with Sevco in people's eyes. Sweet Caroline is a great party song and no pathetic cave man ad-lib lyrics are required.  I hated hearing irrelevant sectarian crap 30 years ago and hoped it would be long gone by now but sadly not.

I get that, however a first win in years against Hibs, Guy probably had a good few beers and has got a bit carried away, would it be ok to add in FTH or is that not acceptable either?  

4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Sadly bigotry is clearly on the rise at both home and away games this season.

It started on day 1 at Parkhead with the dubious Lafferty flute song and has escalated ever since.  It would appear that Hearts have given up even trying to tackle this problem.

15 minutes ago, red said:

I get that, however a first win in years against Hibs, Guy probably had a good few beers and has got a bit carried away, would it be ok to add in FTH or is that not acceptable either?  

Certain people should have been singing FTH not FTP.

Its simple. No reason for it when FTH fits perfectly in the song and is a millions times more relevant.

If people want to be bigots., that's fine I'm not one for getting worked up about it, people can do what they want, but i really wish they would keep it out of tynecastle.

It's utterly embarrassing and cringeworthy.

Definitely a bunch of folk in section G who fancied this one once the Rangers game was postponed. 

The Jay Beatty song they were singing on the way to their seats was disgusting.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
23 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

It started on day 1 at Parkhead with the dubious Lafferty flute song and has escalated ever since.  It would appear that Hearts have given up even trying to tackle this problem.

the Kyle lafferty song is a bit of fun - most of the crowd are happy to sing it and big laff seems to appreciate it

if there's a problem with other stuff I can't see Mrs B just ignoring it - she's probably realised that just banning folk might not be the best way to sort it out - likewise she could be taking a breath or two before jumping in this time

28 minutes ago, jake said:

What' s the pope got to do with Hearts.

Absolutely nothing.

Which is why lot's of Hears fans objected to being made to observe a minutes silence when one died a few years ago.

We have players, employees and supporters from various religions at the club......singing FTP by the buckfast drinking, absolute braindead element of our support is just shameful and cringeworthy to say the least.

Baird, King and Michael
1 hour ago, red said:

What do you mean "guy"... It was a large section of the support singing FTP. Loud enough to be picked up on the TV coverage. Carried away after a few beers and a good win or not surely it is utterly unacceptable for our club to be associated with this.... No???? 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, red said:

I had more than a few beers but still managed FTH other than FTP

24 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Absolutely nothing.

Which is why lot's of Hears fans objected to being made to observe a minutes silence when one died a few years ago.

Fair enough .

So why are some wanting to fek him at a football match?

And are we happy if part of our support started singing ftq instead?

Or should I think of someone political or religious to fek then?

It's up to people which set of beliefs they choose to follow.

But a football ground is for football songs no?

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Definitely a bunch of folk in section G who fancied this one once the Rangers game was postponed. 

The Jay Beatty song they were singing on the way to their seats was disgusting.

Thought there was a great atmosphere in G. Anyone who sat there that doesn't usually is welcome back. 

That's the way Tynecastle should be every week, bloody magic, bouncing, everyone going nuts.

Pity no one put the song on when the ground was still full, hopefully somebody will do it yet.

Even when a heard A 9 was shut a couldnt give a toss, but just as we got to the snow gates at Drumochter they were opened, Happy Days HHGH. FTH 

PS Cut out FTP crap.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

It started before this season. I heard "No Pope Of Rome" against Raith last season for example. I wish I was kidding.

yabadabadoo1874again
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Have to agree.  Hearts need to show some organised mettle here...or count the cost of families who will simply go elsewhere...if they do not have gumption to root out these attention seeking mini THE Rangers fans...who care nothing for Hearts...

6 hours ago, jb66 said:

A fenian to me is your typical IRA supporting celtic fan or not so typical tri colour waving hibs fan. 

Apart from watching peaky blinders I've never heard this word other than refering to hibs or Celtic.

I think if we get a good collection of songs and chants to replace the old non PC songs this would fade out.  We literally have no songbook, majority of chants are shit

Think that's a ridiculous argument given all the songs which have a sectarian element to them are adapted from football songs which don't have the sectarian words. 

3 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Think that's a ridiculous argument given all the songs which have a sectarian element to them are adapted from football songs which don't have the sectarian words. 

Billy boys was a sectarian song that was adapted to be non sectarian for most clubs

1 minute ago, jb66 said:

Billy boys was a sectarian song that was adapted to be non sectarian for most clubs

Yes but that's basically the point I'm making. The songs that are sung all have non offensive versions whuch create the exact same amount of noise and atmosphere 

2 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Yes but that's basically the point I'm making. The songs that are sung all have non offensive versions whuch create the exact same amount of noise and atmosphere 

If we had ultras like hibs making really catchy and original chants then they would be sung, I stand by my opinion.  The Djoum song was hilarious to be honest

4 minutes ago, jb66 said:

If we had ultras like hibs making really catchy and original chants then they would be sung, I stand by my opinion.  The Djoum song was hilarious to be honest

This is why we need a properly organised and behaved singing section.

Yes they can be annoying but there's no denying it creates atmosphere.

Any hearts fan who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. We are not "too good" for this.

A singing section will also, as you say create new songs and tunes which imo will ultimately erase a lot of sectarian bile being sang.

iwasthere1954
38 minutes ago, jb66 said:

I would understand FTP if we were playing Celtic, otherwise its FTH 4 me

Are you an imbecile ?

3 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

Any hearts fan who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. We are not "too good" for this.

A singing section will also, as you say create new songs and tunes which imo will ultimately erase a lot of sectarian bile being sang.

THIS

8 hours ago, jb66 said:

I've just started watching peaky blinders. Brilliant.  Bucket under the telly to catch the blood.  Some of the actors are superb although the accents are hard to follow.

Wife thinks it's a disgrace.

And on the subject.  Bitterly disappointing.  Low life OF behaviour.

Hope the club stop playing it to discourage people from singing it.

On a related matter Diamond has just cancelled a tour of NZ because he's got a dose of the John Knox.

Think that's what they said.

On 22/01/2018 at 19:41, sassenach said:

I couldn't make the game yesterday - just my luck :(

However, I have listened many times to the video in this thread, and I can't make out any chants of FTP.  The chant during the refrains of Sweet Caroline, to my ears, only has 2 syllables, so I'm really confused.

Am I missing something?

yes

Blackford Hearts
On 22/01/2018 at 17:45, Liamthejambo said:

I would say the majority of the ground joined in and sang we are the Billy Boys , to suggest we are a mini Rangers is a joke . I’m Protestant and proud , that’s how it is for me , no saying it’s right , but these occasions bring out the worst in all of us , 

I think I am one of the majority who didn't sing sectarian songs, and I don't understand what Protestant means?  I assume you are a believer in God? I assume you go to church? I am unsure what the Protestant faith is? Can you explain what you are proud of that makes you sing anti Catholic songs? 

Great song a few were singing HMFC instead of the words Sweet Caroline and that worked very well.

agree also that we replace sectarian extras with. Hearts extras you then have a song that all are happy to sing.

should be played after every home win .... Scott Wilson.

Sorry.  Poor taste comment about Neil Diamond.  I just heard earlier that he had a disease.  Now understand its parkinsons disease.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

5 hours ago, MacPhee said:

Agree with this , not a huge fan of them but think it has to be looked at in our case. Something to get the place going. It would hopefully pull away from the element we dont want at games

(Copied from Wiki)

Fenian (/ˈfniən/) was an umbrella term for the Fenian Brotherhood and Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB), fraternal organisations dedicated to the establishment of an independent Irish Republic in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Members were commonly known as "Fenians". O'Mahony, who was a Gaelic scholar, named his organisation after the Fianna, the legendary band of Irish warriors led by Fionn mac Cumhaill.

The term Fenian is still used today, in Northern Ireland and less so in Scotland, where its original meaning has widened to include all supporters of anything Irish and it can include an insult to regard people from the south of Ireland and tri-colours supporters. It has also been used as a demeaning term for Irish people of the Catholic faith.

So although not a bigoted word in it's true meaning...it is used today as a derogratory term.

I seem to remember Hearts issuing a 7" single of the Hearts Song a number of years back and Hello Hello was on the B side, but instead of "we're up to our knees" etc, it sung "You'll hear us on a Saturday from Gorgie to Dalry"

Hello, hello

We are the Gorgie boys,

Hello, hello

You'll know us by our noise, 

You'll hear us on a Saturday from Gorgie to Dalry

Cos we are the Gorgie boys

Last line doesn't fit quite so well without B**ly....but surely we could encourage people to use these words instead, so we keep a brilliant song but without the bigoted words.

This along with "Since I was young" and "Sweet Caroline" would generally get everyone singing.

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, MacPhee said:

A behaved singing section is anathema to what is required of a successful singing section.

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, sadj said:

It would hopefully pull away from the element we dont want at games

You mean the element that Kickback doesn't want at games, as indicated by the indifference of the majority of Hearts fans at the game and in the streets and pubs around the ground on Sunday.

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, Kaptin Kirk said:

Do we want to be known as mini Rangers. Don't know why the sectarian shite has started up again this season. 

This.  Absolute pondlife who i thought had disappeared for good. Embarrassing the club and ridiculous seeing grown men come out with this pish.

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You mean the element that Kickback doesn't want at games, as indicated by the indifference of the majority of Hearts fans at the game and in the streets and pubs around the ground on Sunday.

Im sure many who do not post on KB dont welcome this type of singing at games. 

IMO many sing these songs (especially younger, less educated) because there is no other new songs being sang at games. 

FTH over FTP all day long. Some absolute daftys in our support. 

Class tune though, if folk cut the sectarian crap out then it would be be perfect.

Thought Police
1 minute ago, boag1874 said:

FTH over FTP all day long. Some absolute daftys in our support. 

Class tune though, if folk cut the sectarian crap out then it would be be perfect.

Exactly, it’s a perfectly good tune with the potential to be ruined by people who haven’t educated themselves.

Governor Tarkin
48 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

IMO many sing these songs (especially younger, less educated) because there is no other new songs being sang at games. 

That's a fair point, but not sure about the less educated bit.

GorgieRulesApply
12 hours ago, yabadabadoo1874again said:

Have to agree.  Hearts need to show some organised mettle here...or count the cost of families who will simply go elsewhere...if they do not have gumption to root out these attention seeking mini THE Rangers fans...who care nothing for Hearts...

how can you possibly say that someone doesn't care for hearts because they sing FTP.. laughable :laugh::laugh:

29 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's a fair point, but not sure about the less educated bit.

What i mean mate is, the young team coming through will sing these songs because they may here a few older boys singing them on a train or in a pub at an away day. 

Im not convinced the young ones know the politics behind these songs and they just sing them for the "banter" 

A proper Singing section comittee should be organised by the club if they want to eradicate this. 

6 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

how can you possibly say that someone doesn't care for hearts because they sing FTP.. laughable :laugh::laugh:

No it isn't. They're an embarassment to the club and most of us find it cringey. They will be putting others off following the club for sure. Tossers of the highest order.

Archived