Sweet Caroline

Fandango

iwasthere1954
14 minutes ago, Liamthejambo said:

I would say the majority of the ground joined in and sang we are the Billy Boys , to suggest we are a mini Rangers is a joke . I’m Protestant and proud , that’s how it is for me , no saying it’s right , but these occasions bring out the worst in all of us , 

I too am a Protestant but it does'nt make me want to go on singing about being up to my knees in F---- blood. What a load of small minded shit.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baird, King and Michael
19 minutes ago, Liamthejambo said:

I would say the majority of the ground joined in and sang we are the Billy Boys , to suggest we are a mini Rangers is a joke . I’m Protestant and proud , that’s how it is for me , no saying it’s right , but these occasions bring out the worst in all of us , 

Again a genuine question... When you say that you are Protestant and proud what do you mean? Is it that you are a person of the Christian faith who is opposed to the structures and ceremonies of the Catholic Church? Are you a regular church goer? 

Doctor FinnBarr
12 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Sadly sectarianism seems to be firmly back in vogue at Tynecastle this season!!!

Hello hello was heard louder than for many years after the goal... And as someone there with 2 Catholic kids, the singing in the Wheatfield concourse was awful - I don't particularly appreciate being asked what a fenian is!!!

So sorry mate that you had to be asked a question like that although I'm sure that you know that the majority of Hearts fans aren't like that, I had 2 catholic nephews up from Southport for yesterdays game, they just hate Hibs (and Everton)

Doctor FinnBarr
28 minutes ago, Liamthejambo said:

You do know that Liam is the catholic version of William don't you?

10 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

So sorry mate that you had to be asked a question like that although I'm sure that you know that the majority of Hearts fans aren't like that, I had 2 catholic nephews up from Southport for yesterdays game, they just hate Hibs (and Everton)

The boys travel through with me on the Glasgow Hearts bus, so are aware that the sectarian element is very much a minority. 

But my concern is that the club's stance this season seems to have shifted from one of zero tolerance to zero interest. From the moment we signed Kyle Lafferty and fans started singing the ridiculous flute song, the bigots in our support seem to have been emboldened.  

The singing in the Wheatfield toilets at half time and the concourse at full time was disgraceful.

letsalllaughathobos

Hello hello was superb and tbf everyone around me was singing hibee blood not it makes it any better, 

If your easy offended you should just bin it honestly it's not right but it's going to happen like it or not, 

Not alot can be done it's down to the parents of the next generation

2 hours ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Unfortunately they are Hearts fans. They would say PHM. It's so disappointing that there are those who want to add in these sectarian extras. But let's be honest, at the end all 3 stands were singing Hello Hello, those round about me in the Main were enthusiasticly using the F word and even those who change it to Hibby blood join in with the "Gorgie Billy Boys" bit at the end. As long as those songs are sung then we will always quite rightly be accused of being a mini Rangers. 

I was singing away but changed the words - as was everyone round about me. No mention of the religious shite 

Baird, King and Michael
16 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I was singing away but changed the words - as was everyone round about me. No mention of the religious shite 

So what did you sing instead of "Gorgie Billy Boys"? 

Doctor FinnBarr
40 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

The boys travel through with me on the Glasgow Hearts bus, so are aware that the sectarian element is very much a minority. 

But my concern is that the club's stance this season seems to have shifted from one of zero tolerance to zero interest. From the moment we signed Kyle Lafferty and fans started singing the ridiculous flute song, the bigots in our support seem to have been emboldened.  

The singing in the Wheatfield toilets at half time and the concourse at full time was disgraceful.

I like the Glasgow bus, travelled on it a few times to Europe in the mid 80s, don't know about the bogs at HT but didn't mind the concourse at FT, no sectarian shit as far as I heard

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Just out of interest whose blood are you up to your knees in when you sing it? 

Also in your mind what does it mean to be a Gorgie Billy Boy? 

Genuine questions. 

Couldn't give a toss whose blood I'm up to my knees in.

I'm reasonably versatile in that respect.

I also have no affiliation to any Glasgow razor gang from the 1930's - but I'm perfectly happy to put that aside for the sake of an 'offensive' football chant.

Do you have any more genuine questions that you already know the answer to?

7 minutes ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

I've always sung gorgie rebel boys

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Gorgie red-hand defenders.

1 hour ago, Baird, King and Michael said:

Again a genuine question... When you say that you are Protestant and proud what do you mean? Is it that you are a person of the Christian faith who is opposed to the structures and ceremonies of the Catholic Church? Are you a regular church goer? 

Yes I attend Church on a regular basis , Church of Scotland , I’ve lived in Scotland all my life , the minute you say your proud to be Protestant you instantly become a bigot . I can remember the buckets for a bullet at Parkhead , funnily enough these guys are portaid as the victims . So please forgive my indiscretion yesterday for singing a song ! 

The White Cockade
1 hour ago, Liamthejambo said:

are you saying you sing bigoted songs because you are a Protestant?

Strange view of Christianity you have 

i'm a Protestant and have never chanted any of this sectarian crap at a football match

is that the kind of stuff you sing in Church?

Geoff the Mince

I've always quite enjoyed "King Billy's on the Wall"

I can see it catching on .

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

I couldn't make the game yesterday - just my luck :(

However, I have listened many times to the video in this thread, and I can't make out any chants of FTP.  The chant during the refrains of Sweet Caroline, to my ears, only has 2 syllables, so I'm really confused.

Am I missing something?

You are but it wasn't that many.

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

I couldn't make the game yesterday - just my luck :(

However, I have listened many times to the video in this thread, and I can't make out any chants of FTP.  The chant during the refrains of Sweet Caroline, to my ears, only has 2 syllables, so I'm really confused.

Am I missing something?

We were all singing **** The Hibs at the end of chorus and where I took this vid I never really heard any FTP.

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Sadly sectarianism seems to be firmly back in vogue at Tynecastle this season!!!

Hello hello was heard louder than for many years after the goal... And as someone there with 2 Catholic kids, the singing in the Wheatfield concourse was awful - I don't particularly appreciate being asked what a fenian is!!!

What do you think a fenian is?

I'm fully aware of both what fenian actually means and also the context and intent of what is meant by those singing it.

3 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I'm fully aware of both what fenian actually means and also the context and intent of what is meant by those singing it.

Ive honestly never heard the word used other than to insult celtic or hibs supporters, my both kids are also catholic but I dont feel the insult is aimed at me or the catholic religion or my kids.

15 minutes ago, jb66 said:

Ive honestly never heard the word used other than to insult celtic or hibs supporters, my both kids are also catholic but I dont feel the insult is aimed at me or the catholic religion or my kids.

Then your not the brightest bulb in your own house.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Then your not the brightest bulb in your own house.

Harsh.

Not everyone gives a toss about 19th century Irish politics. 

Why would they?

6 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Harsh.

Not everyone gives a toss about 19th century Irish politics. 

Why would they?

Away. They are at it. In the way that when someone calls someone am Orange/Hun bassa. They are using Orange/Hunter as a substitute for protestant and it's the other side of the same coin when someone is called a fenian/taiga bassa. They are using fenian/taig as a substitute for catholic. Denying this is one of the main reasons why we still have problems in this country.

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Away. They are at it. In the way that when someone calls someone am Orange/Hun bassa. They are using Orange/Hunter as a substitute for protestant and it's the other side of the same coin when someone is called a fenian/taiga bassa. They are using fenian/taig as a substitute for catholic. Denying this is one of the main reasons why we still have problems in this country.

And yet most of the posters on this site will tell you Hun , in particular, is a perfectly acceptable insult. 

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Spot on John.

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Unless, of course, you're happy to let the whole lot wash by you.

Some people find no great hardship in treating the issue with the indifference that the whole contemptuous charade deserves.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Unless, of course, you're happy to let the whole lot wash by you.

Some people find no great hardship in treating the issue with the indifference that the whole contemptuous charade deserves.

That poster was at it.

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

And yet most of the posters on this site will tell you Hun , in particular, is a perfectly acceptable insult. 

It is, to be fair, insofar as any insult can be deemed acceptable.

Can't say it's ever rustled my jimmys.

MacDonald Jardine
9 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It is, to be fair, insofar as any insult can be deemed acceptable.

Can't say it's ever rustled my jimmys.

Nor mine but the same people foam at the mouth at the use of fenian.

32 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Nor mine but the same people foam at the mouth at the use of fenian.

Hun doesn't remotely equate to fenian!!

12 hours ago, Liamthejambo said:

Yes I attend Church on a regular basis , Church of Scotland , I’ve lived in Scotland all my life , the minute you say your proud to be Protestant you instantly become a bigot . I can remember the buckets for a bullet at Parkhead , funnily enough these guys are portaid as the victims . So please forgive my indiscretion yesterday for singing a song ! 

A good Christian would turn the other cheek, forgive them, and pray for peace. 

MacDonald Jardine
38 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Hun doesn't remotely equate to fenian!!

Doesn't it?

It depends on this context.

Sadly Neil Diamond wont be singing this live again after announcing his retirement from touring due to being diagnosed with Parkinsons. Absolutely top performer and total legend. Very best wishes to him 

Captain America

I never heard any sectarian signing in Wheatfield concourse at FT.

Heard ( and sang) "Hearts are having a party"

Can't comment on HT as i was in my seat listening to Paulo :love:

I actually think it was a terrible song to play right at the end, kinda killed the buzz a bit because you have to wait so long for the chorus and it’s obvious add ons. Should’ve went straight to the Hearts song after “it’s magic” to get everyone belting it out and singing! We’ve had to walk off the park at Easter road with them belting out sunshine on leith and it would’ve been good for Scotty boy to return the favour with our own anthem. Caroline is just a general awful song anyway. 

19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I actually think it was a terrible song to play right at the end, kinda killed the buzz a bit because you have to wait so long for the chorus and it’s obvious add ons. Should’ve went straight to the Hearts song after “it’s magic” to get everyone belting it out and singing! We’ve had to walk off the park at Easter road with them belting out sunshine on leith and it would’ve been good for Scotty boy to return the favour with our own anthem. Caroline is just a general awful song anyway. 

I agree. Hearts song should have been played

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

I absolutely loved Sweet Caroline at the end. It's always had Hearts connotations for me anyway as I remember the whole ferry dancing and singing it on the way back from Bordeaux. Superb!

With regard to the sectarian stuff - I find it utterly humiliating. Religion has nothing to do with football, just keep it away from the match. It brings shame on the club and the supporters, the majority of whom don't agree with it.

It's getting worse and worse at away games now. At Pittodrie on the 30th there were songs sang that were absolutely nothing to do with Hearts or football.

Personally, I hate it.

49 minutes ago, jb66 said:

Hearts song 100%

Defo.

Scott Wilson needs to realise this.

A quick play of "beautiful day" then Hector nicola hearts song.

Perfect opportunity on Sunday there.

Having the whole ground bouncing to it was amazing. Scott Wilson really knows how to pick em eh :D 

R.e the billy boys, I hate to say it but since we've signed Lafferty its got progressively worse*. Theres nothing really that can be done though. If 70% of the ground refuses to join in and instead belts out the Hearts song at the top of their lungs every time eventually it might help stop it but away games are a completely different kettle of fish. I don't want the fans that sing these songs banned though. We've spent the last 2 years talking about the 'Tynecastle Library', as hypocritical as it is Tynecastle is back to being a fortress. Perhaps now that folk are back into the swing of singing some new songs might get made up on the fly that stick - the Arnaud Djoum song is pretty catchy for example. 

I know its really celticy but the twist and shout song motherwell sing sounds amazing, would not be against that being 'borrowed' :P 

* To be crystal clear, I'm not blaming Lafferty, what I'm saying is a small minority of fans have latched onto having an Ulsterman in our team and now think they're some kind of UVF choir. 

Let's get this Sweet Caroline changed to be our song, here's a start!

Sweet Ann Budge, Craig Lev-ein

and Christophe Berra are so good (so good, so good, so good)

Just now, jambokev said:

.".Gorgie Rules" fits good as well !

Yes.

Ridiculous how many where signing FTP. I could vaguely here it live when I watched it back last night. Was very cringeworthy.

That's not what the players want to here.

Needs to be cut out.

As I said, I'd personally prefer Scott Wilson to the hearts song instead of random tunes.

I

For what it is worth.

In my part of the Wheatfield, quite a few joined in the Billy Boys song. A small, but noisy, proportion kept going into the third line. Of those that did, every one sang 'Fenian'.

Long time since I encountered this near me.

Nice guy who sits near me with two young children, was at this game without the kids (primary school age or younger). He's a grown man in his forties, but happy to sing about Fenian blood. I'd like to think that if his kids had been present he would have desisted. "What's that you're singing, dad?" 

Not a single one of you who defend this nonsense have EVER explained why Hearts fans, of all people, should sing these words. So, please explain the words and the meaning.

Words mean something. What on earth does being up to your knees in Fenian blood mean to a Hearts fan? And why Billy boys? As far as I know, both are references to 1930s Glasgow gangs. It really couldn't be clearer.

THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE. PUT A STOP TO THIS FILTH.

Rant over for now.

Archived