Sweet Caroline

Fandango

Just now, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Given the fact that Poles are entirely Catholic and Edinburgh has a large influx, I'd say 5 percent is............ pish.

I’d say it was a figure plucked out his arse. Surprised he was able to get his hand in there to grab it when it goes like the clappers.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Given the fact that Poles are entirely Catholic and Edinburgh has a large influx, I'd say 5 percent is............ pish.

Are they?

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

Are they?

Quick check on Wikipedia suggests a figure of 88 percent. Almost entirely.

1 minute ago, bikerjambo said:

Are they?

Not far off it! Less than 2% of poles identify as being of a non Catholic religion in their 2011 census

No idea how this thread has gone to where it currently is! Just to say, I really missed singing sweet Caroline at the end of the Motherwell game 

Bridge of Djoum

Can we just agree that songs about the Pope, Huns, Catholics, Protestants Bobby Sands and King Billy have absolutely **** all to do with football, historically or otherwise?

Can we just agree that songs about the Pope, Huns, Catholics, Protestants Bobby Sands and King Billy have absolutely **** all to do with football, historically or otherwise?

I’d say they are about 5% relevant. 

2 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Yes. They should be outlawed everywhere. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Yes. I can't believe this is still a debate in 2018.

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Quick check on Wikipedia suggests a figure of 88 percent. Almost entirely.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not far off it! Less than 2% of poles identify as being of a non Catholic religion in their 2011 census

I pretty much knew most were Catholics but had no idea how many......every days a schoolday on KB

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yes. I can't believe this is still a debate in 2018.

Indeed. Scotland used to be a country with outstanding thinkers, world class engineers, inventors, modernised banking systems and artists. Stunning architecture, the finest medical research and innovations on earth. The land of Scott, Burns, Carnegie, Adam, Fleming, Baird and Hume. 

Roll on to 2018..... ''Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands''

****** embarrassing.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
29 minutes ago, Ryder said:

What do you dislike about families?

? apologies if I wasn't clear. 

We are not a family, as you pointed out we are all strangers that support the same team. That's where it starts and ends. 

I don't support someone or like them simply because they are a hearts fan nor dislike someone because they are not. 

13 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

Are they?

They certainly are . I’ve been visiting the country for over 20 years and They’re right into it, particularly in rural areas. They’re a lot more detached and westward looking  in the big cities though. I have a good few Polish friends and they don’t mind at all that I’m an ex Protestant atheist ? 

Given that there are now lots of Scots born Children to Polish parents in and around Gorgie, it it would be utterly stupid to sing stupid old songs and put them off Hearts. The Poles are also huge football fans and it’s a market we need to tap into.

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

They certainly are . I’ve been visiting the country for over 20 years and They’re right into it, particularly in rural areas. They’re a lot more detached and westward looking  in the big cities though. I have a good few Polish friends and they don’t mind at all that I’m an ex Protestant atheist ? 

Given that there are now lots of Scots born Children to Polish parents in and around Gorgie, it it would be utterly stupid to sing stupid old songs and put them off Hearts. The Poles are also huge football fans and it’s a market we need to tap into.

Aye but, aye but how does that damage Hearts?

2 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

? apologies if I wasn't clear. 

We are not a family, as you pointed out we are all strangers that support the same team. That's where it starts and ends. 

I don't support someone or like them simply because they are a hearts fan nor dislike someone because they are not. 

:spoton:

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, bikerjambo said:

Time to get back to Beautiful Day...........which is a song about blowing up parliament

:laugh:

:huh: ?? 

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:huh: ?? 

''It was the fifth of November, when time it went back'

''Some say that's impossible, but you and I never looked back
And wasn't it incredible, so beautiful and above all
Just to see the fuse get lit this time
To light the real bonfire, for all time''

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

YAAASSSS

28 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

How can you disagree.

zoltan socrates

http://www.research.ed.ac.uk/portal/files/15242619/Is_football_bigotry_confined_to_the_west_of_Scotland.pdf

McCrae’s Battalion itself had footballing and ‘sectarian’ antecedents, being formed out of the remnants of the Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers (3rd ERV) whose football team, established in 1874, became the first Edinburgh club. Led by John Hope, a Protestant who campaigned in favour of temperance and anti-Catholicism, the instantly successful 3rd ERV club’s membership was confined to members of the corps who were ‘specially selected Protestants, chosen on the basis of their “good character”, as defined by dual commitment to No-Popery and abstension’ (Finn 1994: 98)....

...Hibs were the first prominent “Irish club” in Scotland, and initially, their players had to be practising Catholics (Lugton, 1999). The club’s first secretary Mal Byrne drew up the rules of the new club on a document carrying the Harp and motto ‘Erin-go-bragh’, (Irish Gaelic for ‘Ireland forever’, Mackay, 1986). Lugton (1999) records that Hibernian was chosen in honour of the ‘Ancient Order of the Hibernians’ which had been absorbed into the CYMS.

like it or not, historically, weve always been embroiled in it

Doctor FinnBarr
4 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

LOL, there was a thread 2/3 years ago about my daughter being banned from singing Zombie by the Cranberries at a school concert because it was too political, but Beautiful Day was fine

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, zoltan socrates said:

http://www.research.ed.ac.uk/portal/files/15242619/Is_football_bigotry_confined_to_the_west_of_Scotland.pdf

McCrae’s Battalion itself had footballing and ‘sectarian’ antecedents, being formed out of the remnants of the Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers (3rd ERV) whose football team, established in 1874, became the first Edinburgh club. Led by John Hope, a Protestant who campaigned in favour of temperance and anti-Catholicism, the instantly successful 3rd ERV club’s membership was confined to members of the corps who were ‘specially selected Protestants, chosen on the basis of their “good character”, as defined by dual commitment to No-Popery and abstension’ (Finn 1994: 98)....

...Hibs were the first prominent “Irish club” in Scotland, and initially, their players had to be practising Catholics (Lugton, 1999). The club’s first secretary Mal Byrne drew up the rules of the new club on a document carrying the Harp and motto ‘Erin-go-bragh’, (Irish Gaelic for ‘Ireland forever’, Mackay, 1986). Lugton (1999) records that Hibernian was chosen in honour of the ‘Ancient Order of the Hibernians’ which had been absorbed into the CYMS.

''Formed out of the remnants''.

Are you trying to make the point the Battalion or it's commander were actually sectarian?

Don't see a single mention of Hearts there, but who cares, let's have nothing to do with it now, it's an embarrassment to our club.

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Don't see a single mention of Hearts there, but who cares, let's have nothing to do with it now, it's an embarrassment to our club.

Nah, ''embroiled''. apparently.

Lets not forget that for many years, Hearts were the only club to play matches against Hibs because the proddie SFA refused to let them in. So if anything, Hearts are the vanguards of anti-sectarianism.

This makes me proud to this day.

zoltan socrates
11 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

''Formed out of the remnants''.

Are you trying to make the point the Battalion or it's commander were actually sectarian?

No thats a research paper from edinburgh uni not my wrds, the point im making is there is no point running away from our 'proud' Scottish history and its old traditions, no point in insisting its not part of our history when clearly it is

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Macraes bit is taken from the part about us in the link if you care to read it, and my point again would be thats its not for hearts to be embarrassed about it, its scottish scoiety

Nah, ''embroiled''. apparently.

It's ridiculous that it's even a conversation, keep that shit away from Hearts

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, zoltan socrates said:

No thats a research paper from edinburgh uni not my wrds, the point im making is there is no point running away from our 'proud' Scottish history and its old traditions, no point in insisting its not part of our history when clearly it is

Macraes bit is taken from the part about us in the link if you care to read it, and my point again would be thats its not for hearts to be embarrassed about it, its scottish scoiety

Still no mention of the FOOTBALL CLUB in that paper though.

Doctor FinnBarr
21 minutes ago, zoltan socrates said:

Whats CYMS then?

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It's ridiculous that it's even a conversation, keep that shit away from Hearts

Lots to be fantastically proud about at this club. Having brain dead bigots associating themselves with us isn't one of them. I really wish they would **** off.

Bridge of Djoum

Whats CYMS then?

Catholic Young Men's Society.

**** me Biker! It really is a school night for you!;)

1 minute ago, zoltan socrates said:

While I agree Scottish society needs to have a word, it is entirely for hearts to be embarrassed about no matter what history books say. 

Hearts is not a Protestant organisation or an anti Catholic organisation, it's a football club and the sooner this shit is chased out, the better for all of us, Scottish society included

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Catholic Young Men's Society.

**** me Biker! It really is a school night for you!;)

It is mate, thinking about applying for the "Chase" now

Hope you get the thick bird

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, bikerjambo said:

Easy, now. 

zoltan socrates
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

While I agree Scottish society needs to have a word, it is entirely for hearts to be embarrassed about no matter what history books say. 

Hearts is not a Protestant organisation or an anti Catholic organisation, it's a football club and the sooner this shit is chased out, the better for all of us, Scottish society included

Agree but it pokes its head above the surface at football, clubs cant be blamed unless the actively embrace and encourage it, hearts dont but members of society do and given historical routes youll ztill find that well ne associated with proddies and hibs naturally with catholics

its ****ing nonsense but it isnt for hearts to be policing half of edinburgh

11 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

Go ahead Mr Wendell.

10 minutes ago, zoltan socrates said:

Agree but it pokes its head above the surface at football, clubs cant be blamed unless the actively embrace and encourage it, hearts dont but members of society do and given historical routes youll ztill find that well ne associated with proddies and hibs naturally with catholics

its ****ing nonsense but it isnt for hearts to be policing half of edinburgh

Nope, just tynecastle. I think we largely agree, it's a much bigger problem than the manifestation relevant to us on a Hearts forum, but that doesn't mean it should be accepted or even just ignored at Hearts. 

If proddies want to associate with Hearts and catholics with hibs, then fine, that's their business, but that doesn't make it ok to bring it to the football. Go to church. 

zoltan socrates
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Nope, just tynecastle. I think we largely agree, it's a much bigger problem than the manifestation relevant to us on a Hearts forum, but that doesn't mean it should be accepted or even just ignored at Hearts. 

If proddies want to associate with Hearts and catholics with hibs, then fine, that's their business, but that doesn't make it ok to bring it to the football. Go to church. 

I think if you are that way inclined you are as likely to bring it to the football as you are being on a bus, or at a supermarket

Tak a few agent provocatuers bevvy rivalry and a crowd and its easy for a stand to start belting it out just like it did against the hobbits, tae get at thum!

it shouldnt be accepted or ignored you are right but what are you foing to do against a tidal wave of history and habit, ive sad before, itll take another couple fo generations at least but wven then im not holding out much hope

I think if you are that way inclined you are as likely to bring it to the football as you are being on a bus, or at a supermarket

Tak a few agent provocatuers bevvy rivalry and a crowd and its easy for a stand to start belting it out just like it did against the hobbits, tae get at thum!

it shouldnt be accepted or ignored you are right but what are you foing to do against a tidal wave of history and habit, ive sad before, itll take another couple fo generations at least but wven then im not holding out much hope

Habits and attitudes change, you just have to keep standing up to it. It's not that long since bananas were getting launched at mark walters, but now although racism is still alive, blatant racism at tynecastle isn't accepted in the same way. 

Get proddy pride to church, keep it away from Hearts. 

Doctor FinnBarr
16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Habits and attitudes change, you just have to keep standing up to it. It's not that long since bananas were getting launched at mark walters, but now although racism is still alive, blatant racism at tynecastle isn't accepted in the same way. 

Well said the Smithster

Mental how the self righteous song police don't have a problem turning their hand to misogyny. 

I wonder if one day they might find themselves on the end of a female Hearts fans fist? I wonder if I'd like to be there to witness it?

Probably not...on both counts.

2 hours ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

Aye but, aye but how does that damage Hearts?

It denies us potential new fans and therefore income. Bin these moronic songs and we might actually attract more supporters. Not too hard to work out , is it?

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

It denies us potential new fans and therefore income. Bin these moronic songs and we might actually attract more supporters. Not too hard to work out , is it?

You do realize I was being sarcastic?

Bridge of Djoum
8 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Mental how the self righteous song police don't have a problem turning their hand to misogyny. 

I wonder if one day they might find themselves on the end of a female Hearts fans fist? I wonder if I'd like to be there to witness it?

Probably not...on both counts.

To whom are you referring?

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Good post sir. I was at the game you refer to and in the shed. 30 years ago this month and the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever seen at a Hearts game. I honestly hoped back then that all the Sectarian crap around Hearts would be long long gone by now.

Archived