The January Window ( merged )

Bauld

1 hour ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Window closed, we are not done yet though.

So now I will put my neck on the line....Names I was told we at least enquired about which obviously haven't happened, but we either tried or at least asked which I will now say...

Mcgeogh, Gray, Murray (yes Hibs), May (Aberdeen).

Cadden, Sow, Steven Fletcher, Charlie Adam, Scott Allan.

A couple of youngsters from Newcastle one foreign, one English...both strikers. Someone Hollander, I think from West Ham.

Even a cheeky enquiry about Adam King not that that was likely.

We tried, things changed over last few days.

As said at start, we are not finished just yet...

i await the the backlash from this post, I also hope a couple of the ITK'er folk back me up.

We tried to sign an injured RB from Hibs ?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

This isn't true.

I'm rarely in the know but my friend works for Forrest and talked to him regularly when he was there.

Everyone of those bar Gray was told to me by different people I speak to both on and off here. We at the very least enquired about everyone of those players and a few others that arent mentioned of at least as good quality. yes an enquiry can be are they available , how much and that can be the end of it but the ambition we are showing as a club is amazing to see

29 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We tried to sign an injured RB from Hibs ?

Gray is the only one not been mentioned to me so Ill stick my neck out for TFM.

17 minutes ago, sadj said:

Everyone of those bar Gray was told to me by different people I speak to both on and off here. We at the very least enquired about everyone of those players and a few others that arent mentioned of at least as good quality. yes an enquiry can be are they available , how much and that can be the end of it but the ambition we are showing as a club is amazing to see

Gray is the only one not been mentioned to me so Ill stick my neck out for TFM.

If we enquired about JC, either his club didn't tell him or he lied and denied it. 

Well done Craig Levein .

A very busy time of the year with transfer window and games back to back , also a winter break / training camp in Spain with friendlies to be played and arranged. 

Some exciting players brought in and some money brought in from Walker and Isma , released a few not good enough or surplus players ..

kept a hold off big kyle , looking forward to see him and naisy on the pitch together. 

A lot positives to take us forward and let’s  not forget knocking Hibs out of the cup . 

So well done Craig Levein . Take a bow. 

And this thread made it to page 51 ..... ?

2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

This isn't true.

I'm rarely in the know but my friend works for Forest and talked to him regularly when he was there.

Ftfy

Howdy Doody Jambo
3 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Window closed, we are not done yet though.

So now I will put my neck on the line....Names I was told we at least enquired about which obviously haven't happened, but we either tried or at least asked which I will now say...

Mcgeogh, Gray, Murray (yes Hibs), May (Aberdeen).

Cadden, Sow, Steven Fletcher, Charlie Adam, Scott Allan.

A couple of youngsters from Newcastle one foreign, one English...both strikers. Someone Hollander, I think from West Ham.

Even a cheeky enquiry about Adam King not that that was likely.

We tried, things changed over last few days.

As said at start, we are not finished just yet...

i await the the backlash from this post, I also hope a couple of the ITK'er folk back me up.

Gray, a right back who is injured? 

went to bed.. excited about waking up and reading about the new striker what clearly hasn't happened ... dose this mean times up to get one ?  

Thought Police
7 minutes ago, wejamabojohn said:

went to bed.. excited about waking up and reading about the new striker what clearly hasn't happened ... dose this mean times up to get one ?  

Not if they’re a free agent

Got a feeling we will have a new striker in before very long.  There will be quite a few now sitting without a club and now willing to lower their wage expectations.

3 hours ago, sadj said:

He is however the one player in their team i wouldn't mind in ours. He would be a quality player if he was to stay injury free. 

Exactly, probably the only one I’d want. Still time to make it happen in the summer. 

Maroonblood22
10 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Got a feeling we will have a new striker in before very long.  There will be quite a few now sitting without a club and now willing to lower their wage expectations.

Exactly this. Craig knows what he's doing :thumbsup:

Clark Griswold
2 hours ago, novoman said:

Well done Craig Levein .

A very busy time of the year with transfer window and games back to back , also a winter break / training camp in Spain with friendlies to be played and arranged. 

Some exciting players brought in and some money brought in from Walker and Isma , released a few not good enough or surplus players ..

kept a hold off big kyle , looking forward to see him and naisy on the pitch together. 

A lot positives to take us forward and let’s  not forget knocking Hibs out of the cup . 

So well done Craig Levein . Take a bow. 

And this thread made it to page 51 ..... ?

Well said Mr N

37 minutes ago, Maroonblood22 said:

Exactly this. Craig knows what he's doing :thumbsup:

Will many players have contracts that ran to mid season? I hope there is as we are very short up top.

4 hours ago, sadj said:

Brave ?? I’ll back you up with the people who’ve passed info to me mentioning these names also and others of similar ilk. 

The level of ambition is amazing and the more we try and bring this level of player , whilst we build an infrastructure to continually improve funding the more they will start to come. Bigger , better , stronger and keeping the hobos forever in our shadow

Not taking the p*** but ambition only counts if you actually sign the player, no? We could enquire about De Bruyne, if we felt like it.

But we shall see what happens going forward and then the summer will be interesting.

kingantti1874

All in all a good window.. 

Significantly stronger at left back

Naismith > Isma by a long way

A defensive midfielder of good pedigree 

Amankwaa replacing walker.. Now whether he's as good as walker time will tell but Walker wasn't really here this season anyway.. 

We are however down a Stockton which isn't really a loss. Just a bit thin on numbers in that area.. 

3 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

We should not have sent Zanatta back out on loan

That was strange, to say the least.

Gimme an H...
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

All in all a good window.. 

Significantly stronger at left back

Naismith > Isma by a long way

A defensive midfielder of good pedigree 

Amankwaa replacing walker.. Now whether he's as good as walker time will tell but Walker wasn't really here this season anyway.. 

We are however down a Stockton which isn't really a loss. Just a bit thin on numbers in that area.. 

Spot on here.

At the start of the window CL told us what he wanted to bring in and he's done exactly what he said he would.

Folk getting their knickers in a twist because they were 'promised' a striker signing based on rumours from those ITK.

2 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Spot on here.

At the start of the window CL told us what he wanted to bring in and he's done exactly what he said he would.

Folk getting their knickers in a twist because they were 'promised' a striker signing based on rumours from those ITK.

To be fair levein said himself on Tuesday night we where very short of strikers. I still think we will bring one in that’s out of contract. 

Gimme an H...
Just now, Russ1977 said:

To be fair levein said himself on Tuesday night we where very short of strikers. I still think we will bring one in that’s out of contract. 

I think we will too.

It's clear that we've went in for some and for whatever reason the deal's not happened.

SaughtonJambo
5 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I know, that's what's scary, Jason C was another but we were never going to get him.

Nonsense, rangers only team who came in for him. That's from the man himself 

44 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

We should not have sent Zanatta back out on loan

Yeah agree with this. Would have been worth having him around for the rest of the season. 

Big zee is on those list of strikers. If it’s just for back up and for 6 months he’d Surely be worth a shout. 

Given all the turmoil during the last 2 seasons I am pleased with the recruitment and the squad til the end of the season especially the signing of Naismith.

At some stage we need to be recruiting good above average SPFL quality players who want to stick around with our club and form the basis of the team.From there young prospects can come in and the "special" players like Lafferty or Naismith can do their thing.As i recall this was the way forward advocated by Craig Levein when he became DOF.

We have a long way to go but at least the ground is now being cleared for next season.

Maroonblood22
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Will many players have contracts that ran to mid season? I hope there is as we are very short up top.

Obviously far less than those who expire at the end of the season but there will definitely be guys who have been released or had there contracts end in the January window that would be an upgrade on Stockton, to get us to the end of the season anyway.

57 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Think we must have a free agent lined up. We were close to a loan deal for Joe Mason from Wolves last night but it didn’t happen. Either he didn’t want to come or we have better options amongst the free agents. Think it’s likely the latter. Time will tell. 

Can the ITK people let us know of any of the names that were looked at but we never got across the line for whatever reason.

As I said before. We face a massive upheaval again in the summer. We will not have had a settled squad now for over 3 years. Really is holding us back. We must be more skint because of the stand than we are letting on.

4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

As I said before. We face a massive upheaval again in the summer. We will not have had a settled squad now for over 3 years. Really is holding us back. We must be more skint because of the stand than we are letting on.

Do we have more loan players than the the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen? Those two teams are probably our best benchmark. 

8 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Having been in and out of admin a settled squad was always unlikely. In that intervening 3 years we’ve saved the club, built a stand and stabilised in the top half of the table. A bit of perspective would suggest that a few loan signings is probably not the end of the world short term. I for one am happy the way things are going. 

11 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I’ve said it before I would much rather have loan players of quality than none at all. We can’t afford to pay huge transfer fees and the club have probably refused to pay the asking price that teams have been looking for. You get more for your money in the summer window

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Do we have more loan players than the the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen? Those two teams are probably our best benchmark. 

They have had a solid core for 2-3 year's . 

14 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We have managed to get rid of some deadwood in the window just passed which will make things a bit easier in the summer.

You have a point regarding bringing players in though as we have quite a few players on loan to us at the moment.

However sometimes when you are offered quality players like Naismith and Mitchell then you just need to take them even if you know its not long term.

I do understand we need some loans. But summer is going to massive for us. We cannot get it wrong again. Will take time for new players to bed in. Just hoping we saved the money for some pre contracts. Do that, then I will understand. 

23 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

The 'solid core' at Hibs couldn't get out the second division though.

All roads lead to Gorgie

There will be free transfer options out there but in the striking department they could be without club because they are not scoring enough! 

Free scoring strikers are in demand and are unlikely to be available outwith the windows!

45 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

So it’s not the loan players that are the issue. 

I suspect other clubs/agents will be making it harder for us in the knowledge that we have picked up a few quid for Walker, Isma, young Leonard and likes of Rossi in the not too distant past. That and the stabilising off field might lead them to believe we have a few more quid and as a result hold out for more in any negotiations. Not at all ITK but would like to imagine CL and AB are not gonna be held to ransom or stretched to pay top dollar unless a particular player is worth it - Berra and Naismith as examples 

1 hour ago, cocobeab said:

Having been in and out of admin a settled squad was always unlikely. In that intervening 3 years we’ve saved the club, built a stand and stabilised in the top half of the table. A bit of perspective would suggest that a few loan signings is probably not the end of the world short term. I for one am happy the way things are going. 

Admin isn't the reason for the unsettled squad, it was the poor recruitment and squad management that led us to where we are now.

Fortunately, Levein can see what we need and is fixing it, but it will be the summer before we see 'his' team.

The Future's Maroon

As I said those are names I was told but I don't know how far the enquiries got, they might not all be accurate and some will have been duff info (Steven Fletcher for example I laughed at when told).

Those are only the ones I had heard of, there were loads more but foreign guys....The French, Greek and Swiss leagues are were we must have good contacts as a good few were from there.

I would not be surprised if some of those are linked with us in the Summer.

There is absolutely no point in me, or who told me, making names up for the sake of it.

I was just really encouraged by the standard of player we were supposedly asking about.

January is window that is notoriously hard to get quality in and we are not the only ones bringing in 6 months loans(our loans are of a higher standard) There will be a bigger picture at play additional scouting  of players out of contract players that we will be looking  CL has been round the block and knows what is going on there will be plans in place just chill and relax and enjoy a cup run hopefully and having the likes of Naismith and Mitchell. 

People forget so soon the legacy of the last couple of transfer windows.

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not taking the p*** but ambition only counts if you actually sign the player, no? We could enquire about De Bruyne, if we felt like it.

But we shall see what happens going forward and then the summer will be interesting.

I get where you are coming from but we are enquiring about players we want to bring in and we think we can work a deal. Many had a chance to get over the line but things changed. 

Hopefully we can continue this upward trajectory of targets and keep the club moving forward to where we want. If anything supporting Hearts is never boring 

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Exactly, probably the only one I’d want. Still time to make it happen in the summer. 

Hes out of contract and I know some Hibees are concerned he hasnt signed a new contract yet. Hopefully we have a good chance if he remains a target.

3 hours ago, dumpson said:

Some interesting players on there. Nasri has no club? That seems mad. I think we should sign Lenny just for the banter

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Some interesting players on there. Nasri has no club? That seems mad. I think we should sign Lenny just for the banter

Nasri has been a trouble-maker everywhere he has gone 

2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Unlikely we will have a settled squad for any length of time ever again. Clubs dont nowadays. Even Celtic chop and change every  season. Hibs and Rangers significant turnover this January. 

Archived