Potential signings in January

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Bazzas right boot

I'd take Allan but would prefer o'halloran or a Christie type. More pacey and direct, also score goals.

The midfield needs balance, we are missing goals and pace from it just now.

Walker and Djoum are tidy players as is prince, just not as good.

Cowie runs about.

Ross, looks like he could provide goals, he gets in the box and at least gets chances, but we might not see the best of him until next season.

Skinny is the pace, but imo very limited.

Allan is like like Martin, good on the ball, has vision but what slack he puts on the rest of the team in terms of work rate, maybe too much. Even Martin scored a few goals for us.

We need width, pace and drive as a priority, Allan doesn't fit that. Maybe if we re jig the whole midfield we could get a good balance and include Allan in that. In January we'll likely add two max with walker maybe leaving, we need pace and drive. Allan isn't he answer in January.

By the summer, a midfield choice of Djoum, Ross, cadden, o'halloran, mcginn, Allan as well as Moore, MacDonald  and Harry would be good. I'd guess no chance of Christie. We'd need to shift a few and wholesale changes are unlikely in January.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Facts or opinion? You're all over the shop Pep.

Allan was humpty on Tuesday night and that is a fact.

First half he was very tidy and played a couple of pass's. His flick on was very clever.

Him and Thier number 8 stood out as good players, Allan did fall away second half- quiet badly tbf, but 3/4 times he played good balls. Something our midfield just don't do enough.

Seen him do it v rangers a few weeks ago as well, he's a clever player.

1 minute ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

First half he was very tidy and played a couple of pass's. His flick on was very clever.

Him and Thier number 8 stood out as good players, Allan did fall away second half- quiet badly tbf, but 3/4 times he played good balls. Something our midfield just don't do enough.

Seen him do it v rangers a few weeks ago as well, he's a clever player.

I thought he was shite on Tuesday didn't affect the game like their No.8 did.

53 minutes ago, DennisH2005 said:

Been a Hearts fan my whole life , Followed them and their progress for many years before I moved down south. Based on that / as I didn't see a lot of hearts I didn't have lot to say that I could back up and these forums are full of people like you that slate someone's opinion?

I now go to the games every week and i watch , I pay my ST money , I pay into

the foundation therefore I fee equipped to have an opinion and an opinion is all it is.

i will only make comment if I have an opinion based on fact. 

And here is the facts !...... ( in my opinion) - I thought everything dundee did that was positive came through allan ( and their number 8 ) - the lad is an excellent footballer ( in my opinion) and looking at that squad we have with Callaghan , cowie , Bauben, Cochrane , Milkovic and Walker ( who's leaving ) - he would by a long way be the best midfielder in our team. He can pass, good on set pieces , always wants to go forward and generally my kind of player who is within our budget and wage structure? 

Its just an opinion based on what I saw - you may see different and I respect that but your immature comment is pretty typical of what I see on this page. 

Football is a game of opinions - I played it for a long time ( at a pretty high level ) , I've coached it and I have a view on things from a style of football perspective  based on what I see in players having spent considerable time scouting players. 

The lad was signed by Celtic and although it hasn't worked out - looking at celtics multi national squad , the way they play and how they express themselves , it seems the scouting system at Celtic can spot a player and they believed Allan was a decent acquisition at the time. 

I think in a team with a few decent players he would do well.

if your telling me the lad is not a good footballer then it's one of two things 

1. You have the tinted Hibs glasses on due to him playing for Hibs 

2. You don't know a player when you see one 

again I make they points with no fact purely an opinion based on your ridiculous post 

but I'll tell you what PEP - you tell me who you think is a decent midfield player ( that we can afford ) who would

improve our team and why ? 

GO......... let's get your mate involved too. 

Oh and I have no idea what WuM means so that's wasted on me I'm afraid 

You have done a heck of a lot for someone who appears quite young (the way you write, style etc gives that impression ?)

I think based on your exploits in life, you are more deserving of the Pep mantle than me!! ?

Not one for fully entertaining a good old fashioned WuM so ill let others potentially do that!! ?

Oh btw, fire your CV into Miss B, we are in need of a talent spotter now more than ever ?!!

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I thought he was shite on Tuesday didn't affect the game like their No.8 did.

He didn't play as well as the number 8

But having seen Allan a few times, he's a good player and would improve us, but as above not what we need in January unless we re jig the whole midfield.

I tend not to write players off or hail them as the greatest thing on one Game.

Allan still done some very clever things in the first half. The number 8 played better, I agree. I liked him too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I thought 21 Deacon was the Dundee standout, the caveat, he has scored only 1 goal for them, so no finish to his work,. Dundee look a team of flatterers to me.

2 hours ago, DennisH2005 said:

Been a Hearts fan my whole life , Followed them and their progress for many years before I moved down south. Based on that / as I didn't see a lot of hearts I didn't have lot to say that I could back up and these forums are full of people like you that slate someone's opinion?

I now go to the games every week and i watch , I pay my ST money , I pay into

the foundation therefore I fee equipped to have an opinion and an opinion is all it is.

i will only make comment if I have an opinion based on fact. 

And here is the facts !...... ( in my opinion) - I thought everything dundee did that was positive came through allan ( and their number 8 ) - the lad is an excellent footballer ( in my opinion) and looking at that squad we have with Callaghan , cowie , Bauben, Cochrane , Milkovic and Walker ( who's leaving ) - he would by a long way be the best midfielder in our team. He can pass, good on set pieces , always wants to go forward and generally my kind of player who is within our budget and wage structure? 

Its just an opinion based on what I saw - you may see different and I respect that but your immature comment is pretty typical of what I see on this page. 

Football is a game of opinions - I played it for a long time ( at a pretty high level ) , I've coached it and I have a view on things from a style of football perspective  based on what I see in players having spent considerable time scouting players. 

The lad was signed by Celtic and although it hasn't worked out - looking at celtics multi national squad , the way they play and how they express themselves , it seems the scouting system at Celtic can spot a player and they believed Allan was a decent acquisition at the time. 

I think in a team with a few decent players he would do well.

if your telling me the lad is not a good footballer then it's one of two things 

1. You have the tinted Hibs glasses on due to him playing for Hibs 

2. You don't know a player when you see one 

again I make they points with no fact purely an opinion based on your ridiculous post 

but I'll tell you what PEP - you tell me who you think is a decent midfield player ( that we can afford ) who would

improve our team and why ? 

GO......... let's get your mate involved too. 

Oh and I have no idea what WuM means so that's wasted on me I'm afraid 

What i've found with KB is, many folk find it easier to sit back and criticise others whilst offering nothing others could ridicule back.

Fair play for putting your opinion out there. I think factually Wilson and Allan are good enough to play for us but I would rather we go after players with a different mentality. Particularly with Allan, He seems to have this indignation about having a right to play for a 'big' club, he forced himself down south (probably his agent) before he was ready, failed miserably, Hibs gave him a shot - he was pretty decent, Again he felt his current club weren't good enough for him and forced another move which he has failed miserably with. To me, that says 1 good season with us and he'll be forcing his move west (again). I'd rather we signed someone who we could build a team around long term. 

I would rather we signed Ali Crawford. I think he is far more influential than Allan, I think it could also be argued he should have a hunger to play at a higher level than Allan (who has already tried twice and failed, both times without earning the 'right' to).  From what I've saw of Crawford he doesn't hide and is one of those players who drags Hamilton through games they have no right to win. 

We do need players with better mentality. Bit of grit a determination to see us through tough times. But we need a good bit of flair to and pace. Both Wilson and Allan are not the correct players to go for. Both are 1 in every 5 games players. We have enough of them.

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

What i've found with KB is, many folk find it easier to sit back and criticise others whilst offering nothing others could ridicule back.

Fair play for putting your opinion out there. I think factually Wilson and Allan are good enough to play for us but I would rather we go after players with a different mentality. Particularly with Allan, He seems to have this indignation about having a right to play for a 'big' club, he forced himself down south (probably his agent) before he was ready, failed miserably, Hibs gave him a shot - he was pretty decent, Again he felt his current club weren't good enough for him and forced another move which he has failed miserably with. To me, that says 1 good season with us and he'll be forcing his move west (again). I'd rather we signed someone who we could build a team around long term. 

I would rather we signed Ali Crawford. I think he is far more influential than Allan, I think it could also be argued he should have a hunger to play at a higher level than Allan (who has already tried twice and failed, both times without earning the 'right' to).  From what I've saw of Crawford he doesn't hide and is one of those players who drags Hamilton through games they have no right to win. 

Not convinced re Crawford. Interesting that he has missed last two and a half months through injury and Hamilton have a pretty good run of results. For them, that is. 

I am continually bemused by the number of shouts for Ali Crawford. He is extremely limited, has a good game once in a while, doesn't seem to be particularly highly rated even by Hamilton fans and despite being in his prime with lots of SPFL experience, has been chased by absolutely nobody higher than Hamilton. Within weeks of signing for Hearts the majority would be calling him pish and demanding Levein's head for his signing policy.

Coburg Hearts
1 hour ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

Literally the only reason Celtic signed Scott Allan was to bam Rangers up into the stratosphere.

Ain't that the truth.

29 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

I am continually bemused by the number of shouts for Ali Crawford. He is extremely limited, has a good game once in a while, doesn't seem to be particularly highly rated even by Hamilton fans and despite being in his prime with lots of SPFL experience, has been chased by absolutely nobody higher than Hamilton. Within weeks of signing for Hearts the majority would be calling him pish and demanding Levein's head for his signing policy.

I have a feeling you're right,

God like creature

Cadden from Motherwell is the player I think we should take a punt at from the spl,

the names we have been linked with to fill in the LB slot look like we're trying to get bargain "unknown " from the EU prior to brexit.

Cadden may cost us a bit £400K ?,realistic ?.

New contracts for keeper and a decent offer to keep Walker and I think we shall be hunky-dory,filling in gaps and weaknesses with academy players who in my opinion haven't let us down.

lets have a good off-load of the deadwood .

11 minutes ago, God like creature said:

Cadden from Motherwell is the player I think we should take a punt at from the spl,

the names we have been linked with to fill in the LB slot look like we're trying to get bargain "unknown " from the EU prior to brexit.

New contracts for keeper and a decent offer to keep Walker and I think we shall be hunky-dory,filling in gaps and weaknesses with academy players who in my opinion haven't let us down.

I dont disagree with most of that but we still need a proper PROPER Left Back and a goal scoring, 'run yer heed aff' midfield machine. I'm all for giving academy lads their chances.

35 minutes ago, God like creature said:

Tbh never noticed Cadden in games v us.

Some of the names mentioned earlier are virtually impossible unfortunately. The thing is though, 15-20 years ago guys like James Morrison at his stage in his career would be a feesible signing. The money difference between the third biggest club in Scotland and the top of League 1 in England now means its highly unlikely that we can tempt them. Pisses me off actually.

Folk living in dreamland if they think we are spending 400k on a player in Jan. A few out the door and replaced with some free agents or loan deals until the end of the season.

14 minutes ago, Mort said:

Folk living in dreamland if they think we are spending 400k on a player in Jan. A few out the door and replaced with some free agents or loan deals until the end of the season.

Bang on the (lack of) cash.

Malcolm Tucker

Cadden is way out of our price range now. Cracking player, our chance to buy was the summer and that is now gone.

Definitely think O'Hara (development fee possibly) or Kamara (both Dundee) should be top of the list for midfielders then maybe Cadden (Well).

Malcolm Tucker
Just now, RENE said:

Definitely think O'Hara (development fee possibly) or Kamara (both Dundee) should be top of the list for midfielders then maybe Cadden (Well).

O'Hara was signed from Kilmarnock so no development fee, think his contract is up in the summer. Kamara only recently signed so would cost money and Cadden (as mentioned above) is now an unrealistic target.

Thanks Malcolm. Just read somewhere OHara was development fee but believe you are right and if so we should go for him.   Really liked Kamara couple of times ive seen him.  But do think we will make move for Cadden.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
5 minutes ago, RENE said:

Thanks Malcolm. Just read somewhere OHara was development fee but believe you are right and if so we should go for him.   Really liked Kamara couple of times ive seen him.  But do think we will make move for Cadden.

I think with O’Hara there would still be small development fee because he’s had effectively 2 years training at Dundee, but it would be considerably smaller than the likes of Paterson’s or Cadden’s fees.

5 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I think with O’Hara there would still be small development fee because he’s had effectively 2 years training at Dundee, but it would be considerably smaller than the likes of Paterson’s or Cadden’s fees.

Needs to be there 5 years for development fee. 

Our transfer budget will be who ever goes out the door. All it takes is a silly bid Cochrane or McDonald. Could still get £400 thousand or more for Walker. English clubs love to pick up a prospect. Couple of million is nothing to them. But to us..

I was more impressed with Kamara for Dundee and Hendry at right back - he reminded me a lot of Paterson and is probably out of our range already.

Scott Allan doesn't score, doesn't seem to create huge amounts and can't last 90 minutes. Not for me

I'd take Wilson back but not as a starter in a back two.

Either as a left back or the lcb in a 3. Otherwise I feel he'd be no better than Souttar and stunt his development.

HillmanHearts

While I like Crawford based on his performances against us and bits & bobs on TV, I don't think he is a top priority type signing for this window.

He would be a handy player to have around mind as he scores a good few from midfield and can link things up in tight spaces.  

But we need a Left back, a powerhouse in midfield and some pace in the flanks more.

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I dont disagree with most of that but we still need a proper PROPER Left Back and a goal scoring, 'run yer heed aff' midfield machine. I'm all for giving academy lads their chances.

Callum Booth has always impressed me when i have seen him

Defends well and gets up and down 

Templeton would be worth another shot, as would Wilson, but he would be cover for the back 2 and LB positions. 

1 hour ago, Glottis said:

I was more impressed with Kamara for Dundee and Hendry at right back - he reminded me a lot of Paterson and is probably out of our range already.

Scott Allan doesn't score, doesn't seem to create huge amounts and can't last 90 minutes. Not for me

Completely agree. Allan is constantly looking for the killer pass but pretty much never manages to execute it.

he plays with his head up and is tidy on the ball which I believe makes him look a player but the end product is rarely there. 

15 minutes ago, RENE said:

Templeton should never play for us..... until he tidies himself up.  He looks a mess. ???

Haha, I thought that when I seen him in the Hamilton game. Needs a proper haircut and a shave, sure we can get that done at one of the many fine establishments in our fair city prior to him signing on the dotted line!! ?

1 hour ago, Glottis said:

Scott Allan is an absolute enigma of a player (as you rightly highlighted above). How he won Player of the Year that season we romped the Championship I will never know. 

28 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Scott Allan is an absolute enigma of a player (as you rightly highlighted above). How he won Player of the Year that season we romped the Championship I will never know. 

This. I still find it hard to believe that he won that award ahead of Morgaro Gomis, who (IMO) was head and shoulders above anyone else in the division that season.

20 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Moult will be going to English Championship, no chance we can afford him.

Wilson, left us to go to Rangers, where he is now playing most weeks. Why would he come back?

Mr positive! We won't sign anyone with that attitude.

6 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Mr positive! We won't sign anyone with that attitude.

Sorry for giving you facts. If you want to live in fantasy land go on FIFA.

55 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Sorry for giving you facts. If you want to live in fantasy land go on FIFA.

Danny Wilson and Louis Moult??? It's hardly Messi and Ronaldo!! If Moult went to Motherwell, why would he not come to us???

11 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Should hopefully get the same thing for Walker

You think? For a player that is free to go in the summer? For a player that hasn't really set the Heather on fire this season?

We will be lucky to get ten bob for Walker.

Moult was free to go in the summer as well. If Walker goes south in Jan I’d expect us to get £300-400k. Peanuts to clubs down south 

2 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Danny Wilson and Louis Moult??? It's hardly Messi and Ronaldo!! If Moult went to Motherwell, why would he not come to us???

As others have pointed out Moult is away to Preston.

Wilson left us for Rangers. So I’ll ask again why would he come back?

Accept it you’re talking pish.

6 hours ago, Musemic said:

This. I still find it hard to believe that he won that award ahead of Morgaro Gomis, who (IMO) was head and shoulders above anyone else in the division that season.

The only reasoning I had of that was Allan was a stand out in an average team without him Hibs wouldn’t of even been in the playoff places. Whereas we had so many standouts it was harder to see the contribution to our position

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

What if we find another Skacel.  Or what if we already have him in McDonald?

Think big.

Something I have pondered all week. Encouraging the younger players is going to be important. Declogging the squad of ordinary squad players is going to be the secret, the youngsters will then become the squad men (boys)

Archived