Our fans are pretty shite

fabienleclerq

torino calcio
9 hours ago, redm said:

Nobody was ever against a singing section, although some people were against drums. I'm not mad keen on them myself but if one appears, so be it.

Ann Budge hasn't done anything to affect the 'atmosphere' and I think it's a lame and awfy flaky excuse to suggest she has. People even seem to believe this "can't even swear anymore" nonsense. The atmosphere is in our hands, it's not her fault if we don't create any and removing a tiny handful of teens (wasn't it temporarily?) didn't affect the other 14,000 season ticket holders plus walk ups from doing their thing.  It's easier to just try and pin it on her though, of course. That's the part I find pretty pathetic.

I know the young ones prefer it when they're rebelling against something or whatever, but I don't see anything to rebel against. People would love a song or ten, they just have to not be songs that aren't sectarian or bigoted. Then they'd have buy in. It's not rocket science. They'd also maybe need to watch their social media activity more carefully.

People sing when they're happy. If they're not singing, there's probably a reason. I don't think the singing is one of our major issues tbh.

"People sing when they're happy" - I would suggest that the happiness on display yesterday was due to the massive amounts of alcohol that they consumed prior to the game - 15 minutes to kick off and there's guys walking around Roseburn with 4 cans of cider, bottles Buckfast etc

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, vintage1874 said:

When we get back to Tynecastle,  Hearts should try and sort out a singing section. The "ultra" style with a drum seems to appeal to the younger fans of other clubs and seems the modern way. It might be worth trying it again as the atmosphere has been poor at home in recent seasons. 

I agree with this.Lets face It,as a teenager/early 20s what would you rather go to on a Saturday afternoon ? A moaning,quiet Library or having a bit of fun with other lads your own age group,singing,bouncing and having a good couple of hours fun ? May explain why there seems to be a lot more of this age group at Fester Road than Tynecastle.

Scott Wilsons don't be naughty speech seemed to go on longer than the risk warning on a car finance ad on radio froth. A real boner kill.

Voice of reason

I am not sure calling people "shite" because they are not minded or comfortable singing football songs in public is helpful. The non-singing fans put money into the club  year-after- year and deserve the same respect as any others. 

10 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Not singing goes back years. I think doing away with standing was the real trigger as sitting is just rubbish. 

So how do other clubs in the league generate atmosphere? 

Some amount of excuses on this thread for the fact our atmosphere and songbook are abysmal.

IMO the club need to make a bit of an effort here to get it started. They had a chance to create a singing section & didn’t bother. 

It would be easier for the club to start an ‘ultras’ group & manage it to start with until it is up & running. At least they could organise things because individual fans will find it much harder to get off the ground.

12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

So how do other clubs in the league generate atmosphere? 

Some amount of excuses on this thread for the fact our atmosphere and songbook are abysmal.

We should set up a working group to explore this matter.  Maybe we just have too many po-faced supporters?

i agree that spreading out our fans at Murrayfield doesn't help, but we've all sat at Tynecastle in a similar lack of atmosphere.  Okay, maybe not all, but you get the point.

The football is dire, but as an earlier poster asaid, the atmosphere at Ross County a couple of weeks back was really good.  The football wasn't exactly great in the game.

Have to say that I'm a joiner-in-er rather than a starter up-er, but we have too many that are neither.  

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

I am not sure calling people "shite" because they are not minded or comfortable singing football songs in public is helpful. The non-singing fans put money into the club  year-after- year and deserve the same respect as any others. 

Thats not what's being said. It's been noted we back the club in numbers and financially but when it comes to vocally we don't.

Theres barely a team in the league that doesn't outsing us. And if folk think that it's because the football is shite, we ain't gonna start playing like Brazil anytime soon. We were in a winning position yesterday and we had to be goaded by the huns into singing.

A_A wehatethehibs

We have a major problem of fans turning up on a Saturday just to shout abuse at hearts players and manager - the fans who do that are the ones who have killed the atmosphere at tynecastle

Other teams have singing sections maybe we should consider a “shout abuse at your own players” section.

Be interesting to see the effort that the Hearts fans make at the first home Derby in our revamped stadium.

Hibs fans put on an impressive show the other night. I hate getting beat by them at anything. We should really get organised and get behind the team.

Too many fans think that because they pay their ST/FOH that entitles them to shout abuse at players. Surely it would be just as easy to shout encouragement. 

1 hour ago, Haken said:

We should set up a working group to explore this matter.

Club takes the lead

identifies relevant stakeholders for group representation

and see what they come up with

Yours in 'it's not that hard'

TW

Bringing back ‘hullo hullo’ would be a good place to start.

Use Hibee blood instead of the alternative and you’ve got a great song. Quite agressive. Used to be a classic.

Now it’s met with boos by our own support. 

Half of our fans seem to spend large portions of the game staring at their phones or texting. Not exactly conducive to a good atmosphere.

maroonlegions
11 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Half of our fans seem to spend large portions of the game staring at their phones or texting. Not exactly conducive to a good atmosphere.

Because they are bored watching the shite on offer.

been here before
33 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Because they are bored watching the shite on offer.

I have been known to send a text along the lines of 'this is brutal, whats for the tea?'

Perhaps tired of being taken for granted?

Perhaps tired of the poor poor football that has been on show for the last year?

Perhaps tired of being lied to?

1 hour ago, TheMaganator said:

Bringing back ‘hullo hullo’ would be a good place to start.

Use Hibee blood instead of the alternative and you’ve got a great song. Quite agressive. Used to be a classic.

Now it’s met with boos by our own support. 

I've posted that a few times and one of the replies was "why on earth would we want to be upto our knees in anyone's blood" and "but folk will still sing fenian blood", since we stopped singing that song it's gradually been wilted down to that pathetic "since I was young" the Hearts song and the dirth that is the European song, our support is crap and because of the sweetie wife's who follow Hearts it'll never change, christ just look at the constant moaning in here to give you the reason why it's mince!, oh and that song is sung by Killie and Ayr fans about each other, no fenians involved yet we aren't allowed because we have a shitty support. 

Thank god, I have only been to one game this season. Sadly, I have a friend who has become so disillusioned that he would rather indulge in retail therapy with his other half on a Saturday afternoon. I can hardly blame him with the brutal football on offer and the lack of atmosphere. 

Gavsy Van Gaverson
3 minutes ago, Hearts lad said:

I've posted that a few times and one of the replies was "why on earth would we want to be upto our knees in anyone's blood" and "but folk will still sing fenian blood", since we stopped singing that song it's gradually been wilted down to that pathetic "since I was young" the Hearts song and the dirth that is the European song, our support is crap and because of the sweetie wife's who follow Hearts it'll never change, christ just look at the constant moaning in here to give you the reason why it's mince!, oh and that song is sung by Killie and Ayr fans about each other, no fenians involved yet we aren't allowed because we have a shitty support. 

Used to be a great song for getting the support going. Other teams seem to be ok singing alternative lyrics (not including Rangers) so why shouldn’t we?

Hullo, hullo :ninja:

Nelly Terraces

Gotta be honest, yesterday was 1 of the worst days I've experienced watching the Hearts in my 41 years of doing so.

Our support has changed massively from what it used to be like. For most games the atmosphere is morgue like & it feels, got whatever reason, like people don't want to get songs or chants going. I remember when we had a pretty passionate support, and in some cases it was also pretty volatile (not saying that's a good thing), but it had guts & humour, gone are the days of making up a chant on the day to take the piss out of oppo players or fans, & every on just sits (even at away games, where most clubs have a sizeable section who stand) & barely utters a peep.

Yesterday sums it up, a coupla half hearted attempts at the Hearts song & a 'you're not Rangers any more' (hardly original, but if enough people give it some welly can be pretty good) & that was it, all while 15k bigots had a field day in the away end - I just found it all a total embarrassment if I'm honest. There's no point coming on here whinging about it, we should've matched them with songs of our own to drown their sectarian pish

Personally 1 of the main reasons I started following Hearts was the support & I really wonder if a young me would do so now? I have to say the answer to that is probably No.

1 hour ago, Tommy Walker said:

Club takes the lead

identifies relevant stakeholders for group representation

and see what they come up with

Yours in 'it's not that hard'

TW

Why do fans need the clubs permission to make an atmosphere?

Stand up, sing, do something.  

5 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Gotta be honest, yesterday was 1 of the worst days I've experienced watching the Hearts in my 41 years of doing so.

Our support has changed massively from what it used to be like. For most games the atmosphere is morgue like & it feels, got whatever reason, like people don't want to get songs or chants going. I remember when we had a pretty passionate support, and in some cases it was also pretty volatile (not saying that's a good thing), but it had guts & humour, gone are the days of making up a chant on the day to take the piss out of oppo players or fans, & every on just sits (even at away games, where most clubs have a sizeable section who stand) & barely utters a peep.

Yesterday sums it up, a coupla half hearted attempts at the Hearts song & a 'you're not Rangers any more' (hardly original, but if enough people give it some welly can be pretty good) & that was it, all while 15k bigots had a field day in the away end - I just found it all a total embarrassment if I'm honest. There's no point coming on here whinging about it, we should've matched them with songs of our own to drown their sectarian pish

Personally 1 of the main reasons I started following Hearts was the support & I really wonder if a young me would do so now? I have to say the answer to that is probably No.

The fact that our hospitality section is often the most rowdy/enthusiastic probably gives one explanation on how to improve atmosphere: a wee bit more drink.

Hopefully with all the bar/hospitality options, people might start making more of a day of the football, rather than turning up at 14:55 like it’s a dentist appointment.

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I tried standing up AND singing at a couple of away games last season.

Told to sit down and nobody was for joining in the singing both times.

It wasn't stewards that said "Sit doon" either.

Governor Tarkin

I've said it before. Football for the younger chaps is about passion, tribalism, and hatred as much as it is the actual football. Every club needs an angry, boisterous, young team. Those lads are tomorrows' diehards. 

Why any highly strung teenagers would want to come to Tynecastle to be ostrasized else wallow in this current malaise is utterly beyond me.

Our loss is Hibs gain. It really is that simple. 

12 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

I tried standing up AND singing at a couple of away games last season.

Told to sit down and nobody was for joining in the singing both times.

It wasn't stewards that said "Sit doon" either.

Mental. 

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Mental. 

Increasingly typical though.

19 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Can't fault Hearts fans in terms of buying tickets and financial backing but we are ****ing woeful at getting behind the team.

Aye it's poor viewing but even when it's not we barely sing. We will be the only team without the ultra style section soon, I know they acted like wee dicks but I'd rather that than silence or a roar of moans. I'm not having its just because the teams shite.

Our fans are pretty much the same as any other teams, you'll see a difference when we're back at Tynie and we're winning.

If I've said it once I have said it a million times: We need tunes and songs that we can all join in. 

Unfortunately for whatever reason a lot of our, ahem, more vocal support would rather sing songs that are more akin to the Ibrox attending hordes from the west - then moan like hell when other folk don't join in these particular ditties.

See the last few derbies, we've been out played on the pitch and out sung in the stands.  Hibs' songs are bloody awaful, BUT at least they can be sung by everyone.

It’s a combo of

- folk sitting 

- the fans that do want to generate atmosphere being spread around the ground rather than in one area

changing that would get it kick started and gradually the culture might change where others would join in. 

The atmosphere yesterday was dreadful. The stuff on the pitch was poor but I wish we had more of an atmosphere to help raise the player’s energy levels / confidence when things get like that. 

buckhind jambo

Tynecastle for ages has had poor vocal backing from the fans, this idea of our ground being intimidating is an idea of a long time ago, many away fans come to hearts now and get behind their team vocally more than our supporters, when we score we get a rendition of the hearts song that never gets to the end before it tapers out and dies going back to our happy clapping until another goal comes along( not often we score more than one these days). Watching hearts away is a little better but not as good as it could be, we defo get shown up by fans of other teams by their singing sections, id love to see Tynie bouncing with none stop songs and an intimidating atmosphere  once again but i think the club has missed the chance to try and help out with this, to be honest i don't think they really care, maybe bums on seats clapping like a tennis match is more to the current boards liking.

1 minute ago, Sarah O said:

If I've said it once I have said it a million times: We need tunes and songs that we can all join in. 

Unfortunately for whatever reason a lot of our, ahem, more vocal support would rather sing songs that are more akin to the Ibrox attending hordes from the west - then moan like hell when other folk don't join in these particular ditties.

See the last few derbies, we've been out played on the pitch and out sung in the stands.  Hibs' songs are bloody awaful, BUT at least they can be sung by everyone.

Spot on. 

1 minute ago, buckhind jambo said:

to be honest i don't think they really care, maybe bums on seats clapping like a tennis match is more to the current boards liking.

In a nutshell 

30 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I didn't say anything about seeking the club's permission.

Given the range of views, I'm suggesting the club could take the lead and see if something generally agreeable could be found.

Yours in 'or people can just argue on here and achieve nothing positive'

TW

letsmakesomenoise
3 hours ago, Baxfee said:

They stand! Huns stood for the whole game. Hibs fans stood all of theirs. 

I stood throughout the whole derby on Tuesday, as did everyone I could see in the upper section. Would have been delighted to get ripped into a few songs, the football in general and the early goal in particular kept us quiet.

Hibs winning the cup in 2016 has also robbed us of half our songbook at least!

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Exactly, spot on post.

rudi must stay
20 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Can't fault Hearts fans in terms of buying tickets and financial backing but we are ****ing woeful at getting behind the team.

Aye it's poor viewing but even when it's not we barely sing. We will be the only team without the ultra style section soon, I know they acted like wee dicks but I'd rather that than silence or a roar of moans. I'm not having its just because the teams shite.

3-1 down and the game was lost. We are not great at sticking with the team

48 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Don't need the club's permission to sing but if we want to do displays such as the Hibs one the other night we would need the club onside. We would also need the club's cooperation to create a section for our more vocally inclined fans to express themselves.

The lack if atmosphere problem has happened at all grounds since stadiums became all seated. The difference is that some supports woke up to the problem and became organised. 

We have been left behind in this regard but better late than never.

In all my years supporting Hearts I can't remember when we had a vociferous support.  Generally it has been a couple of choruses of the usual anthems then we all sit down to watch the game.  Yesterday was woeful due to the support being spread out.

Much as I dislike them, clubs that have drums + brass do add to the atmosphere.  I am follower of Leeds Rhinos and the atmosphere at Headingly is always buzzing due to their Supporters Band leading the singing, regardless of what is going on on the pitch.

https://youtu.be/ciR31P0nBMw

Maybe we need the club to sponsor a 'band' to lead the singing.

We’ve got the least youthful support in Scottish Football imo, rarely see a decent sized group of young people at the games, and the current board will do nothing to encourage more to come either. 

Thought Police
8 minutes ago, Texia said:

We’ve got the least youthful support in Scottish Football imo, rarely see a decent sized group of young people at the games, and the current board will do nothing to encourage more to come either. 

Yup. I shy away from bringing neutral mates because if you don’t care about the result, where is the fun?

I’m glad this thread has some really good points about scaring away youngsters. This is something that would get the attention of the board. Tynecastle is a bit like a golf club where the senior members don’t like change.

I don’t ever remember a time when Tynecastle was some mental cauldron of 90 minute singalongs but I do remember us singing a few more than we generally do at the moment. I don’t really remember the singalongs themselves though, I don’t look back and think “oh that was a right good selection of tunes that day” - I remember the occasion. There’s usually a pretty appealing (and way more important) football/result related memory to go with it. 

More good or exciting things on the pitch = more people making noise. 

1 hour ago, Jasonauskas said:

Perhaps tired of being taken for granted?

Perhaps tired of the poor poor football that has been on show for the last year?

Perhaps tired of being lied to?

Hearts supporters are being treated with contempt,we have invested heavily through FOH and season tickets,yet have to watch a poor footballing side badly managed!

bringbakterracing
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've said it before. Football for the younger chaps is about passion, tribalism, and hatred as much as it is the actual football. Every club needs an angry, boisterous, young team. Those lads are tomorrows' diehards. 

Why any highly strung teenagers would want to come to Tynecastle to be ostrasized else wallow in this current malaise is utterly beyond me.

Our loss is Hibs gain. It really is that simple. 

Bang on! 

Think the club also manage the support wrong, what’s the point in a family stand if you can buy kids tickets anywhere? 

Horrendous for the atmosphere to have kids wanting to sit mixed with adults wanting to stand and it creates tension amongst supporters. 

53 minutes ago, Texia said:

Think the club also manage the support wrong, what’s the point in a family stand if you can buy kids tickets anywhere? 

Horrendous for the atmosphere to have kids wanting to sit mixed with adults wanting to stand and it creates tension amongst supporters. 

Doesn’t it work that way at most clubs? I haven’t purchased many home end tickets (or kids tickets) for other clubs so genuinely wouldn’t know. 

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn.

Yeah those good old family fun packed hibees what with their paedo songs and jolly jape refugee songs.

Or celtic with their classy stuff.

Even St Johnstone have a wee song about hearts are paedos.

You are obsessed with your agenda.

Even going so far as calling people unionists.

I voted indy but you really are an embarrassment.

Why dont you trot along to the clubs you perceive to be inclusive and spare us football supporters your moral compass.

Oh and read up the definition of bigotry.

18 minutes ago, jake said:

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn.

Yeah those good old family fun packed hibees what with their paedo songs and jolly jape refugee songs.

Or celtic with their classy stuff.

Even St Johnstone have a wee song about hearts are paedos.

You are obsessed with your agenda.

Even going so far as calling people unionists.

I voted indy but you really are an embarrassment.

Why dont you trot along to the clubs you perceive to be inclusive and spare us football supporters your moral compass.

Oh and read up the definition of bigotry.

Do Hibs have more songs that ALL their fans can sing than Hearts?  To me it sounds like they do.  Yes I've heard their other songs about paedos and rufugees however these songs are not sung as often, as loudly or as prolonged as their others and they don't seem to be used to rouse the whole crowd. 

I didn't mention Celtic and I don't think I've ever heard St Johnstone fans sing anything...ever - so I'm not sure why that's relevant.

I'm obsessed with not wanting to sing about being knee deep in fenian blood, this is true.  Much sorry.  I must try harder.

3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

East Stirling at home, Airdrie in a semi, Montrose, Celtic in the drop the ball semi, Hibs away in the cup last season, Rangers in the cup final, The Hibs 6-2 game, 3 nil at home to St Johnstone. Off the top of my head and with no real effort I can think of these and many many more games that have been worse than yesterday. Dens Park!!!  Its naff all to do with fans singing or not singing. The team is struggling. There are lots of reasons for that and lots of people culpable for it (one being Levein) but it'll take time to sort and I really wish fans would grow up. Some of the stuff spouted on here is a disgrace. I am no apologist for Levein but jeez, if we still had Cathro we would have a damn sight less points than we have and not a promising youngster in sight. This season is about finding some stability and hopefully moving a few players out and starting to add to the decent core we have.  I think some of you need to get a grip. Not least you

Nelly Terraces
2 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

East Stirling at home, Airdrie in a semi, Montrose, Celtic in the drop the ball semi, Hibs away in the cup last season, Rangers in the cup final, The Hibs 6-2 game, 3 nil at home to St Johnstone. Off the top of my head and with no real effort I can think of these and many many more games that have been worse than yesterday. Dens Park!!!  Its naff all to do with fans singing or not singing. The team is struggling. There are lots of reasons for that and lots of people culpable for it (one being Levein) but it'll take time to sort and I really wish fans would grow up. Some of the stuff spouted on here is a disgrace. I am no apologist for Levein but jeez, if we still had Cathro we would have a damn sight less points than we have and not a promising youngster in sight. This season is about finding some stability and hopefully moving a few players out and starting to add to the decent core we have.  I think some of you need to get a grip. Not least you

Dont worry old chum, the only thing I'm concerned about losing a grip of is my rather nice glass of Gran Reserva Rioja I'm quaffing right now.

You sound a passionate sort but judging by the anger eminating from your post I suggest you put whatever device it is you use to connect to this message board & go for a long walk in today's fresh, but bright; weather. It may clear your thoughts somewhat.

Fingers crossed the atmosphere at games improves on the club's return to Tynecastle - along with performances on the park.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

Archived