Levein is not the answer ( merged )

Hood09

I wonder why that is? I certainly don't class myself as a Leven lover, or hater, as another poster said, I want every Hearts manager to succeed. But on reviewing the candidates who applied, it surprises me that Stevie Clarke didn't apply. Surely our budgets are larger than that of Kilmarnock! It begs the question, is CL an unpopular figure in football circles, or is working under a DOF  a no-no for a lot of managers?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

• Hendricks

• Escobar PHM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Its a recorded fact that he was asked to take the job. 

I was at a plot ceremony recently and AB was asked if CL had been asked to take the job and she said no he said he wanted to do it.

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I was at a plot ceremony recently and AB was asked if CL had been asked to take the job and she said no he said he wanted to do it.

He was asked and after thinking about it said he wanted to do it. 

3 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

He was asked and after thinking about it said he wanted to do it. 

Ok have it your way but I wish he hadn't.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
3 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Okay. My belief is he was told he was taking the job.

Do you have an opinion or would you rather stick to asking others to provide proof of theirs?

Yes it's obvious he was told to take it. Ann Budge is probably privately fuming at the guy for the predicament we're currently in.

I feel Levein got the team wrong on Tuesday and wrong again today. Putting a pretty much untried 16 year old in midfield for his first start v rangers, when he is clearly not ready, was madness. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He needs to be sent on loan for the rest of the season and told to spend some time in the gym. He is too light weight for the spl.

That team is so poor, particularly in midfield. can't wait for djoum and Cowie to return. 

Gordon Ramsay

Levein has no clue.

Spent 3 years signing awful players and now it's all coming to fruition.

28 years old and this is the the worst Hearts team I've ever seen.

I think he'll sort it out given time. He'll know what we need and hopefully he'll get some bodies in. 

That said, also culpable for recruitment and the appointment of cathro, so this mess is partly his doin, probably 50% his at least, although I do believe he was only trying to back the manager at the time.

Was never sure where Leveins role started and finished as DOF with his involvement in the Cathro appointment in signing a shite manager. I  let it rest and avoided a JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning.  Wondered where his involvement in sourcing players started and finished and who was ultimately responsible for signing shite . I let it rest and avoided a JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning.  Never accepted that an untried manager would have authority over a DOF in signing shite but maybe I was wrong. l let it rest and avoided a JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning. Was never sure why someone could be in part Director, DOF, and Manager and if that was a good thing but thought I was thinking shite. I let it rest and avoided  JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning. Maybe I was not thinking shite as much as I  thought.

Edited by Jambo Jim

5 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Just back from the game and I am disgusted with that performance. The fact levein didn’t change it in the second half for ages when it was clearly going one way tells me he has lost it. Cochrane had a mare and these games are too big for him. We need to manage him carefully and it’s unfair throwing him in like this.  Callachan was shocking and the jury is well and truly out on him, his second touch is a tackle on most cases. 

Gonacalves and lafferty just don’t seem to work for me. We need someone with pace upfront to compliment lafferty I would bench goncalves for a good couple of weeks to get his hunger back.  

As for the back I think soutter needs to move into midfield just now as he is the only one who can put his foot on the ball and find a pass.  Get Hughes back and if not stick Novak in. 

At the back the real problem is the fullbacks firstly at left back we don’t have one... someone needs their jotters for that alone. On the right I am sorry to say but Smith is too powder puff. The amount of times he shit a challenge today was enough to get him binned.  

Levein and his cronies are the issue here for me they are hopeless.  They have over saw a recruitment period which is the worse in my 20 odd years of going to games time to man up and get someone properly in. I hope budge inserted a try before you buy close in that contract as it’s time to return....

Here here!

The problem we have had is the murkiness over the role of DOF. The role description was responsible for all footballing matters. That to me includes recruitment. 

When Cathro went there was a lot of argument over what CLs role actually was and whether he should also have gone.

The problem I had when he got the job was that it seemed clear that there had been a lot of interest in the job yet the shortlist seemed to consist of yes men with the exception of Billy Davies (not that I wanted him). This list would have been drawn up with CL being part of the decision making process. The question I had at the time was out of all these top quality candidates supposedly interested, why were candidates who were more qualified rejected. Could it be because they couldn’t work with the DOF. 

I have no idea if Clarke applied but Coyle allegedly did and would have been my choice for the job. 

Because the role of DOF wasn’t clear, we can only guess about who was responsible for wanting to sign the players. Since promotion to the SPL there seems to have been no structure to the players brought in. Looking at video reels only tells half a story. What due diligence other than looking at the players highlights was done. 

Unfortunately our our lack of recruitment plan has left us in a position where we have a completely imbalanced squad and are relying on kids who are still developing to try and compete with seasoned pros. 

I don’t expect much from the January window and at present I’ll be happy if we can finish 10th. 

The squad needs a complete overhaul and rebuild to bring in more pace and bite to the middle of the park and up front. 

Am I convinced CL is the man to do this. No im not. I don’t think he has the drive or will to do it. When it was obvious at end of last season that his experiment with Cathro was going wrong, he should have got rid. Instead he took the back seat option. It was only after a lot of disgruntlement in the fans after the shambles of a LC qualifying campaign that someone had the stones to get rid of Cathro. CL is a great figurehead and believer for youth development. He should have made his position clear that he was going to focus on this and have nothing to do with first team matters. It would have allowed us to get an experienced manager in who wasn’t scared of interference from board level.

The fact that some very experienced managers were just "overlooked" recently may suggest that possible interference from above was a factor in who got the job.

portobellojambo1
5 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Why ? Are you suggesting that every player we chose was his ?

Perhaps understanding the role of a DOF is a good place to start.

if we are blaming him then blame him for Cathro.

What does that role require, in terms of Heart of Midlothian. If the basis is similar as at other clubs, said person retains responsibility for the appointment of persons on the non playing football side, and has the final say on which players can be considered for appointment then to suggest that Craig Levein played no part in that, as the DoF, is naive in the extreme, unblameable. It might also help explain why he didn't want to be the head coach, still doesn't want to be the head coach, but for the first time was backed into a corner where he had to accept it. Every business has an appointment in place where the buck has to stop, presumably as a business we also fall into that category. One person was involved in the sourcing and appointment of the two coaches we've had, and made the decisions on which players the coaches could bring in. It wasn't Scott Wilson nor the young lad that works in the ticket office. Responsibility lies with the director reponsible for the football side, which is maybe why the role is entitled Director of Football.

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Music to your ears threads like this Gambo eh?

No, because it means we have played poorly AGAIN & got beat.

I'd rather be revelling in our play and our successes, but they are very few and far between.

Let Levein be DOF running the training complex, youths, scouting youngsters ect. but working for a quality manager who has their own first team staff. 

Interviews that are real and not fixed. I believe because Daly wasn't ready or good enough Budge buckled to keeping all the coaching staff which a new manager might not trust or approve. Top managers come with their own staff and Budge is saddleing us with first team coaching staff because of Craig Levein. Our team is faced with these people in charge for9ever. 

Edited by mitch41

17 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I'd rather be revelling in our play and our successes, but they are very few and far between.

37 competitive 1st team matches in 2017 Gambo. 

4 in the Scottish Cup (2 v Raith, took ET in the replay and 2 v Hibs, we all know what happened there)

4 in the League Cup (wins v Elgin and East Fife, defeat to Peterhead and a draw at home to Dunfermline)

29 in the SPL  (won 8 / drew 6 / lost 15) / (goals for 28 / goals against 41)

How many could you honestly say we were good in and could be enjoyed as a supporter. Out of the 37............?

Edited by Hendricks

1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

37 competitive 1st team matches in 2017 Gambo. 

4 in the Scottish Cup (2 v Raith, took ET in the replay and 2 v Hibs, we all know what happened there)

4 in the League Cup (wins v Elgin and East Fife, defeat to Peterhead and a draw at home to Dunfermline)

29 in the SPL  (won 8 / drew 3 / lost 15) / (goals for 28 / goals against 41)

How many could you honestly say we were good in and could be enjoyed as a supporter. Out of the 37............?

Home to Rangers last season, 1hr v Aberdeen this season and I'm struggling after that tbh. 

We have ha 3 managers in last 2 years, we have played poorly for the majority of these 2 years, we have had a huge turnover of players, we still play the same slow not to get beat game......as I have said, 3 different managers, loads of different players and one constant through that time......Levein.

7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Let Levein be DOF running the training complex, youths, scouting youngsters ect. but working for a quality manager who has their own first team staff. 

Interviews that are real and not fixed. I believe because Daly wasn't ready or good enough Budge buckled to keeping all the coaching staff which a new manager might not trust or approve. Top managers come with their own staff and Budge is saddleing us with first team coaching staff because of Craig Levein. Our team is faced with these people in charge for ever. 

Won't happen unfortunately until Levein goes.

We desperately need someone with a different outlook on the game.

Seymour M Hersh
34 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I'm sorry but with your history of extreme dislike of Levein I find that hard to believe. 

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm sorry but with your history of extreme dislike of Levein I find that hard to believe. 

Did we play well today?

Did we play well on Tuesday?

Did we even play well when beating St.Johnstone?

Is Levein doing a great job?

Is Levein having fans loving the fare on show?

2 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I feel Levein got the team wrong on Tuesday and wrong again today. Putting a pretty much untried 16 year old in midfield for his first start v rangers, when he is clearly not ready, was madness. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights. He needs to be sent on loan for the rest of the season and told to spend some time in the gym. He is too light weight for the spl.

That team is so poor, particularly in midfield. can't wait for djoum and Cowie to return. 

Utter nonsense. Cochrane is miles ahead of Cowie and Djoum in terms of ability.

Edited by U.S Maroon

2 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Levein has no clue.

I'm of a similar age and I can't think of a worse hearts team either. Horrible to watch. Worst team in terms of technical ability? Maybe, but definitely the worst in terms of heart and fight. 

Bunch of jessies.

33 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Hopefully Levein will give us a chance for me to prove you wrong.......we may have a wait though.

2 hours ago, Jambo Jim said:

Was never sure where Leveins role started and finished as DOF with his involvement in the Cathro appointment in signing a shite manager. I  let it rest and avoided a JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning.  Wondered where his involvement in sourcing players started and finished and who was ultimately responsible for signing shite . I let it rest and avoided a JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning.  Never accepted that an untried manager would have authority over a DOF in signing shite but maybe I was wrong. l let it rest and avoided a JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning. Was never sure why someone could be in part Director, DOF, and Manager and if that was a good thing but thought I was thinking shite. I let it rest and avoided  JKB moment as I could not be bothered moaning. Maybe I was not thinking shite as much as I  thought.

Almost a Billy Davies type post, attracts the response of nah you were thinking shite

Captain America

Levein's body language and interviews make me think he doesn't want the job.

He is clearly not the same man who managed us in 2000s. The 'committee' decision on who to bring on when Walker got injured suggested to me that the coaching staff have a lot of say in team selection. 

In his interview on BBC sportsound he didn't even sound angry but more happy with the fact we competed with a poor Rangers side for 60mins. 

Seeing Killie & Ross County employ high calibre managers/coaches in the past few weeks makes me think our football structure ( DOF & McPhee being kept on as AM) is going to hold us back.

Captain America
56 minutes ago, U.S Maroon said:

Utter nonsense. Cochrane is miles ahead of Cowie and Djoum in terms of ability.

Djoum is arguably the most talented player we have. Application and focus on Hearts are what is lacking his game.

Cochrane has real potential but he is not better than Djoum ability wise yet.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Still no one on telling us why C.L. IS the answer.

Who would have got better results with the same players?

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Who would have got better results with the same players?

He sanctioned the signing of these players.

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

I'll take a shot at it. 

Continuity. In theory that should mean when there is change over the consistency in management means that upset is minimal. Obviously that hasn't been the case  however, unlike McInnes at Aberdeen -Who is chomping at the bit for the hun job... like almost drowning in his own saliva, Levein wants to make a difference here and effect real long term change. So instead of jumping ship to a better paying gig leaving us high and dry (and nicking all our decent players in the process) he'll stay and continue trying to build. 

The problem with youth development is that it is a slow process that requires continuity. If we suddenly change manager (I.e remove Levein) and bring in Owen Coyle (for example) he may have a completely different footballing philosophy to Levein and that transmits to rapid change across the academy, or even worse a guy like Stubbs, who I believe wanted to reduce the funds allocated for the Hibs Academy to focus more on the first team (which would again effect youth development - quality of coaching?). For youngsters learning rapid change surely must be up there with really poor things to happen to them because it will hinder their development - One week they're being taught a high pressing 433 and then the following week its suddenly kick and chase down the channels. Not good. 

Once we see the fruits of his labour come into the first team I think he'll be justified but things (i don't think) are going to plan currently. The Cathro experiment failed, hard. Which has left us in a total mess. I think that came down to press scrutiny and Levein giving Cathro too much autonomy in who he wanted to sign. However, Levein has as much experience as a DoF as Neilson does as a manager so mistakes are going to be made. It is a learning curve. Virtually every player in the first team is a Cathro signing and the player that Levein has brought in (Callachan) has done pretty well considering the step up. Hopefully Levein will find a couple more gems in the next window which will help settle things down a bit and get more effective players in to fix the mess he's been left with.

Set up defensive minded team which isn't great defensively. Sat off. Didn't press. Didn't expose them to enough cross balls and high balls over the top which had Wilson and McCrorie struggling at times.

Picked the wrong team also. Nowak in the middle with Callachan Would've given Miller and Jack and Holt more of a game in the middle. Cochrane ahead of them or Walker. 

But he totally conceded the second half by his lack of changing the game and allowing Rangers into the game.

Walter Bishop

Of course Levein isn’t the answer, deep down we all know that but for fear of being called anything but a Hearts fan most wont say it! 

Finances dictated his appointment. He’s here for the long haul sadly. 

To finish top of the bottom 6 must be about our target now?

Soft as shite, mediocre football club, that’s what we have become. 

5 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

He sanctioned the signing of these players.

Was it not Cathro and McPhee who requested we sign them?

The point is that no manager will get anything out of these gutless, talentless losers.

I believe Craig Levein will turn this round and it may take til the January Window

He openly admits the midfield area is weak just now and you can't just magic something when senior players are injured

i sat and chatted with CL at the plot ceremony and I was in no doubt how committed to Hearts he is. 

A lot of hurting from the last two games and I get that

Callaghan slots that chance soon after Lafferty's goal and Rangers would have crumbled 

small margins swing games

HHGH 

4 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Of course Levein isn’t the answer, deep down we all know that but for fear of being called anything but a Hearts fan most wont say it! 

Finances dictated his appointment. He’s here for the long haul sadly. 

To finish top of the bottom 6 must be about our target now?

Soft as shite, mediocre football club, that’s what we have become. 

I seriously hope that you weren't manning the phones at the samaritans last night

16 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

How many midfield players are out just now, who the back four player missing with long term injury, add in no real left back as Grezlak is a huddy? 

So there 5 for a start. It’s Leivens fault these guys are injured and he should jailed for pulling Walkers Hamstring as that’s just exacerbated the selection problem.

Now I'm off to Specsavers.  

Agreed. We have five experienced midfield players, Buaben,Walker,Djoum,Cowie Martin. After 50 mins today all five are injured. What chance does any manager have when that happens?If Hibs had been without McGinn,McGeoch and Bartley on Tuesday they would have struggled. Take Brown,Armstrong,Rogic,McGregor,Briton out of Celtics squad and does anyone believe they would still be unbeaten. I’d even go as far as to say had Jack missed out today, as he should have, we would have beaten them. He bossed the middle of the park. 

Disappointing that many of the posters on here can’t  see what’s right in front of their eyes. 

12 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Who would you have selected today?

12 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Levein has no clue.

Not been following Hearts for long then. 

9 hours ago, Gambo said:

Wouldn’t waste my time trying to debate the issue with you. Your mind is a closed book re CL unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, OTT said:

I'll take a shot at it. 

Continuity. In theory that should mean when there is change over the consistency in management means that upset is minimal. Obviously that hasn't been the case  however, unlike McInnes at Aberdeen -Who is chomping at the bit for the hun job... like almost drowning in his own saliva, Levein wants to make a difference here and effect real long term change. So instead of jumping ship to a better paying gig leaving us high and dry (and nicking all our decent players in the process) he'll stay and continue trying to build. 

The problem with youth development is that it is a slow process that requires continuity. If we suddenly change manager (I.e remove Levein) and bring in Owen Coyle (for example) he may have a completely different footballing philosophy to Levein and that transmits to rapid change across the academy, or even worse a guy like Stubbs, who I believe wanted to reduce the funds allocated for the Hibs Academy to focus more on the first team (which would again effect youth development - quality of coaching?). For youngsters learning rapid change surely must be up there with really poor things to happen to them because it will hinder their development - One week they're being taught a high pressing 433 and then the following week its suddenly kick and chase down the channels. Not good. 

Once we see the fruits of his labour come into the first team I think he'll be justified but things (i don't think) are going to plan currently. The Cathro experiment failed, hard. Which has left us in a total mess. I think that came down to press scrutiny and Levein giving Cathro too much autonomy in who he wanted to sign. However, Levein has as much experience as a DoF as Neilson does as a manager so mistakes are going to be made. It is a learning curve. Virtually every player in the first team is a Cathro signing and the player that Levein has brought in (Callachan) has done pretty well considering the step up. Hopefully Levein will find a couple more gems in the next window which will help settle things down a bit and get more effective players in to fix the mess he's been left with.

Fair play OTT.  You have a lot of 'hope' in there, i hope it comes off too but can't see a lot of it happening under Leveins guidance.

6 hours ago, OTT said:

I'll take a shot at it. 

Good post. Continual change is always damaging. Just look at the damage done by the Nielson to Cathro change. We need to stick with it for a year or two until the academy is either producing players or not. Jury is still out on that though looking more favourable. I’d prefer Levein back as DoF but any new head coach needs to buy in to what we are trying  to do. 

Levein has a track record, as a coach, of unearthing players and making them better. He typical gets the best out of players. I’m expecting him to do it again. Unrealistic to think this can be done in two months with an injury-ridden midfield though. 

6 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Set up defensive minded team which isn't great defensively. Sat off. Didn't press. Didn't expose them to enough cross balls and high balls over the top which had Wilson and McCrorie struggling at times.

Picked the wrong team also. Nowak in the middle with Callachan Would've given Miller and Jack and Holt more of a game in the middle. Cochrane ahead of them or Walker. 

But he totally conceded the second half by his lack of changing the game and allowing Rangers into the game.

It’s all about opinion. I think there’s been far too many high balls over the top, and out the park, in recent games. 

17 hours ago, Gambo said:

Good luck with this one.

Levein can do NO WRONG for some on here. They will find any excuse not to put any blame on Levein.

It’s embarrassing how much your hatred of Levein takes over. You are clearly bitter about him and he can do no right. In fairness he got his team wrong Tuesday and again today but it happens. Our biggest issue has been our transfer strategy, it’s been awful. That for me is the root cause of how poor we have been. 

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

I believe Craig Levein will turn this round and it may take til the January Window

He openly admits the midfield area is weak just now and you can't just magic something when senior players are injured

i sat and chatted with CL at the plot ceremony and I was in no doubt how committed to Hearts he is. 

A lot of hurting from the last two games and I get that

Callaghan slots that chance soon after Lafferty's goal and Rangers would have crumbled 

small margins swing games

HHGH 

Agreed. Callachan miss was game changer yesterday. Rangers were all over the place at that time and wouldn’t have come back from  0-2. 

i wish jj was my dad
16 hours ago, Hendricks said:

He was a great player. One of my heroes actually. Hs playing career ended ended (jeez makes me feel old) 30 years ago. He also did a good job first time around but again he left 13 years ago and has been binned from every job since!  So regardless of his past he is not the manager to take Hearts forward in 2017. Personally I think he can see the job far enough and it was self preservation taking on the role. For the job he has done overseeing the first team, his choice of his protege and the shambles that ensued and specifically for the truly horrendous recruitment he has, as DoF, been party to he should have been relieved of his duties. The pressure is going to mount on him that much is certain.

You have slipped in two statements in there that are total shite and you know it. 

He was never sacked from Utd. He left to manage his country. And he was asked not forced to replace Cathro. He accepted after sorting out the infrastructure which was his main focus from 2014.  You keep telling if it makes you feel better though. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

It’s embarrassing how much your hatred of Levein takes over. You are clearly bitter about him and he can do no right. In fairness he got his team wrong Tuesday and again today but it happens. Our biggest issue has been our transfer strategy, it’s been awful. That for me is the root cause of how poor we have been. 

Who overseen that transfer strategy?

I think he got it wrong on Tuesday and Yesterday, so do you, so you must have a hatred of Levein as well?

16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed. We have five experienced midfield players, Buaben,Walker,Djoum,Cowie Martin. After 50 mins today all five are injured. What chance does any manager have when that happens?If Hibs had been without McGinn,McGeoch and Bartley on Tuesday they would have struggled. Take Brown,Armstrong,Rogic,McGregor,Briton out of Celtics squad and does anyone believe they would still be unbeaten. I’d even go as far as to say had Jack missed out today, as he should have, we would have beaten them. He bossed the middle of the park. 

Disappointing that many of the posters on here can’t  see what’s right in front of their eyes. 

Agree with this. The injury situation, along with the poor quality of a significant number of those who are fit, is making things tough right now. I think Levein could have replaced Moore with either Malinkovic or Nowak in yesterday’s starting line up. Beyond that I don’t see many other options.

• cosanostra locked this topic