****HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN vs HIBERNIAN****

Pennywise

6 hours ago, Tommy Walker said:

Having read the article below, what's your local Doug and what's a pint there ?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/the-wellingtonian/7621775/Is-a-pint-really-a-pint-in-Wellington

Yours in "it's only beer"

TW

It's called the Still Room in a village called Eastbourne.  Great wee pub 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
letsalldothebeattie
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I'm amazed to say the least. Looks like they are doing their usual and turning up in large numbers because they expect an easy victory. 

And we know how often that backfires.

Yeah that’s probably it exactly and I can’t wait to see it backfire on them

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:56, jambo1975 said:

Are we at home like? 

Yes, you are!

10 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

We need the 2 strikers to play closer to each other rather than 40 yards apart. Lafferty left centre & ismal right centre and switching from time to time. They both love through balls to run on to and i can't see why these 2 can't cause havic in the Hibs defence with the midfield and defenders playing the right balls into the channels.

This in spades mitch!

At times Isma was holding up the ball on Saturday and Lafferty was 50 yards away.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Thomaso said:

The reality is we are going to have to improve massively from our performance on Saturday if we are to get anything out of this game.

Hopefully Levein has learned his lesson and plays Lafferty through the middle, and Isma out wide.  I rarely agree with Michael Stewart but he was spot on last night.

The reality is we beat a better team at the weekend than hibs.

Hibs aren't that good.

Folk are really over rating hibs, match Thier desire, we can win.

Imo we are better than last time we met, without Cummings they are less of a threat.

I agree last part, although Lafferty was also put there to nullify Thier threat, it worked.

13 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Stokes and Swanson doubts for tomorrow's game according to the Daily Ranger...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-pair-anthony-stokes-danny-11394874

Also McGregor and Fontaine are out for a while so they'll be forced into playing Ambrose and Hanlon as the pairing, we've all seen far worse strikers than Lafferty dominating Hanlon

18Jambo_dave74

Between injuries and the lack of quality in certain areas of the team, I think any team selection is going to have to include a gamble or two. For me the best midfield pairing would be Randall and Callachan which in itself is concerning. As poor as Djoum has been we need him back as soon as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Maroon 1874 said:

Mind games ... it would'nt surprise me if they play

Correct. Paper doinget their pal Lennon a favour at his request.

11 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Hibs now odds on for this game at 19/20.  Hearts 3/1. Extraordinary 

I would definitely take a wee bit of that.

59 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Hibs now odds on for this game at 19/20.  Hearts 3/1. Extraordinary 

Have to admit I'm surprised that you think we are anything but big underdogs for this one mate. How do you forsee us setting up? Approaching the game? 

Whilst I'm definitely of the opinion they are no great shakes, as indicated by their very mediocre results my take is that our recent record and performance level down there gives them a big advantage. They have far more continuity and experience in big games as a group than we do and a much more settled side. I think Hearts need the vast majority to step up and compete in a manner we haven't see in recent derbies and by far my biggest concern is in midfield.  What formation do we play? Who do we use? If we pack the midfield does that simply invite them on to us and mean we have no outlet to go forward ourselves meaning we can't retain possession. I have every confidence our attitude will be better than the recent calamitous performances we have witnessed on their patch but personally I need to be proven wrong that this group of players are good enough individually or indeed capable of doing it as a team when it really matters. Here's hoping we are celebrating the biggest 3pts in a long time and you are enjoying a nice win fall to boot!

Alwayssunnyingorgie
17 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Have to admit I'm surprised that you think we are anything but big underdogs for this one mate. How do you forsee us setting up? Approaching the game? 

Whilst I'm definitely of the opinion they are no great shakes, as indicated by their very mediocre results my take is that our recent record and performance level down there gives them a big advantage. They have far more continuity and experience in big games as a group than we do and a much more settled side. I think Hearts need the vast majority to step up and compete in a manner we haven't see in recent derbies and by far my biggest concern is in midfield.  What formation do we play? Who do we use? If we pack the midfield does that simply invite them on to us and mean we have no outlet to go forward ourselves meaning we can't retain possession. I have every confidence our attitude will be better than the recent calamitous performances we have witnessed on their patch but personally I need to be proven wrong that this group of players are good enough individually or indeed capable of doing it as a team when it really matters. Here's hoping we are celebrating the biggest 3pts in a long time and you are enjoying a nice win fall to boot!

Our recent results down there are irrelevant. Different manager and different team going in to this one. 

21 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

It's a very difficult one mate. I'm particularly concerned about our midfield.  We've no real quality regardless of personnel deployed and that's a big disadvantage against them as we've seen in recent times.

I think Isma and Lafferty up front as a pairing is probably on balance the best approach. If we play some variation of 5 in the middle of the park we'll simply bring them on to us. 

Left back situation continues to be nothing short of a farce. Buaben has been crucified on here after Saturday, and whilst he was certainly poor, he took one for the team after Brandon had been roasted for the umpteenth time.  I'd play Grzelak at left back due to being experienced and naturally left sided. I'm very far from convinced by him but I worry Brandon will get a torrid time from Boyle. We could also go with Smith and Randall in the full back areas but I'd be more inclined to play Randall further forward as he has some legs and energy

I wouldn't play Cochrane from the start and fear it will be a big mistake of Levein puts him in. The game would completely overwhelm him imo. 

I think I'd be inclined to go with 

McLaughlin 

Smith 

Souttar 

Berra 

Grzelak 

Randall

Cowie 

Callachan 

Walker 

Isma 

Lafferty 

I'd probably look to play Randall, Cowie (if fit) and Callachan narrow as Walker won't play wide.  Lafferty and Isma will concern them and I feel we need to try and play to our strengths rather than be on the back foot.  Given the limited options we have, I feel Randall, Cowie and Callachan have the most energy to try and combat their midfield.

I'm not convinced they'll go with 2 up top and that could see them even more dominant in the middle of the park.

I don't think Levein will start Grzelak. I think he could play Randall and Smith at full back and play Brandon ahead of one of them.  

Goes without saying that Berra is absolutely massive for us alongside Souttar.  

How do you see it going bud? 

Levein has made us hard to beat, its what he does. I think we'll win 1-0 and Hibs will feel cheated.

1 minute ago, hydeparkhearts said:

Levein has made us hard to beat, its what he does. I think we'll win 1-0 and Hibs will feel cheated.

It will be a truly superb achievement to keep a clean sheet in this one. Probably one of our best defensive displays in a long time. Hobs have scored 7 in 3 games against the Old Firm this season so I think we will need to score ourselves to get anything from it. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Spencer said:

It's a very difficult one mate. I'm particularly concerned about our midfield.  We've no real quality regardless of personnel deployed and that's a big disadvantage against them as we've seen in recent times.

I think Isma and Lafferty up front as a pairing is probably on balance the best approach. If we play some variation of 5 in the middle of the park we'll simply bring them on to us. 

Left back situation continues to be nothing short of a farce. Buaben has been crucified on here after Saturday, and whilst he was certainly poor, he took one for the team after Brandon had been roasted for the umpteenth time.  I'd play Grzelak at left back due to being experienced and naturally left sided. I'm very far from convinced by him but I worry Brandon will get a torrid time from Boyle. We could also go with Smith and Randall in the full back areas but I'd be more inclined to play Randall further forward as he has some legs and energy

I wouldn't play Cochrane from the start and fear it will be a big mistake of Levein puts him in. The game would completely overwhelm him imo. 

McLaughlin 

Smith 

Souttar 

Berra 

Grzelak 

Randall

Cowie 

Callachan 

Walker 

Isma 

Lafferty 

I'd probably look to play Randall, Cowie (if fit) and Callachan narrow as Walker won't play wide.  Lafferty and Isma will concern them and I feel we need to try and play to our strengths rather than be on the back foot.  Given the limited options we have, I feel Randall, Cowie and Callachan have the most energy to try and combat their midfield.

I'm not convinced they'll go with 2 up top and that could see them even more dominant in the middle of the park.

I don't think Levein will start Grzelak. I think he could play Randall and Smith at full back and play Brandon ahead of one of them.  

It's already been confirmed by Levein that Cowie is out. 

Nelly Terraces

If our midfield stand less than 10 yards off theirs & full backs actually bother attempting to prevent crosses into our box then it'll be 100% more effort to win the game than we've shown down there the past 2 visits.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

It will be a truly superb achievement to keep a clean sheet in this one. Probably one of our best defensive displays in a long time. Hobs have scored 7 in 3 games against the Old Firm this season so I think we will need to score ourselves to get anything from it. 

They also got skelped of Hamilton and lost to nil v Aberdeen at home!

Have faith.

Milinkovic MUST play Imo , and right up against that wee arsehole Stevenson.

Sick of seeing him get no pressure put on him over the last few derbies. Lafferty right up against Hanlon too.

Both they players are bottlers and their weak links at the back when put under pressure.

In fact, our varied game and playing longer intermittently to Lafferty may be a key tactic tomorrow. But we need Walker and Milinkovic to be looking for the scraps.

3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

McLaughlin 

Smith 

Souttar 

Berra 

Grzelak 

Randall

Cowie 

Callachan 

Walker 

Isma 

Lafferty 

I think you make some very valid points both in terms of what you would like to see the team given the personnel available and also in what you actually think Levein will choose to do. The main areas of concern are undoubtably at left back and in the middle of the park.

I tend to agree that Grzelak may be the answer for this particular game at left back. I have no idea how they found this guy and frankly think he's pretty pish but he has shown himself to be physical and he could be asked to sit and compete and do the basics. He's definitely a red card waiting to happen so you would need to have him on a short leash if he got booked early doors. This would allow Smith to play in his natural position with Berra and Souttar and give us a solid looking back line.

The midfield is complicated by not knowing who is available but I firmly believe Randall will come back into the side. I would also presume Walker and Callachan are certain starters. My impression is that Cowie may be out (but that could be completely wrong) and like you on balance I would pick him over any of the youngsters for this game. I think it would be easier to throw Cochrane in for a home derby but just feel its a huge risk so early on and when we need a result in this one given previous fiasco's. If Cowie is out there is a real dilemma as Bauben whilst experienced and capable of putting to one side the fans angst towards him simply looks overwhelmed these days in fast paced games. The Serb hasn't really had nearly enough game time up to this point and I'd be astonished if he starts unless one of Isma or Lafferty are on the bench. And for me leaving one of them out would signal we are handing all initiative over to Hibs. We don't have many goals in the side and they are our biggest threats. I would be using Lafferty to work back a bit when they have possession but I think when you see the midfield options they are 2 of our better players and it would be a mistake to leave either out. 

In terms of a prediction I am so torn. My heart wants to say that we will produce a stirring, resilient, determined performance and that we will cause them problems when we get into the final 3rd. That the big keeper will command our box and Berra and Souttar will show the quality they both possess. That Walker will produce some of the moments we know he is capable of but see far to rarely and that Lafferty will score a derby goal we will all remember for years to come. My head however thinks we are going to struggle mightily, not because there is much between the teams or that Hibs are this great side but because at this moment I think they may have a team that is more prepared for this game. I think recent evidence would suggest we can certainly finish above them this season but tomorrow, I just don't know. I just feel we are short in key areas and that unless everyone is at it and mistakes are kept to a premium we will be under the cosh a lot. Our options are limited and our bench will again be weak. I'd take a draw and move on in the hope that when they come to Tynie in December after our run of home matches our confidence will be high, we may have a more settled side and have the likes of Hughes, Smith-Brown, Djoum etc available. The young lads may also have a fair bit more game time by then.

12 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

They also got skelped of Hamilton and lost to nil v Aberdeen at home!

Have faith.

A fair point but you know the atmosphere and intensity tomorrow will be such that both teams will create opportunities and mistakes will happen. 

I'm feeling a bit more confident about tomorrow after the last few games and us having a bit more dig and resilience about us. I'd go 442 with lafferty and isma up front and have a right good go at them. 

If  Hearts get through the  first 25 to 30 mins without conceding I'd fancy us to go on and get a result , that being said if we do concede early I wouldnt rule us out with a Levein in charge. 

It really comes down to small margins and which team turns up or not. I'm not convinced that Hibs are as good as their fans or some on here think they are , although they are capable on their day , no doubt about it . 

Got a feeling we won't lose this one . 

28 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I think you make some very valid points both in terms of what you would like to see the team given the personnel available and also in what you actually think Levein will choose to do. The main areas of concern are undoubtably at left back and in the middle of the park.

I tend to agree that Grzelak may be the answer for this particular game at left back. I have no idea how they found this guy and frankly think he's pretty pish but he has shown himself to be physical and he could be asked to sit and compete and do the basics. He's definitely a red card waiting to happen so you would need to have him on a short leash if he got booked early doors. This would allow Smith to play in his natural position with Berra and Souttar and give us a solid looking back line.

The midfield is complicated by not knowing who is available but I firmly believe Randall will come back into the side. I would also presume Walker and Callachan are certain starters. My impression is that Cowie may be out (but that could be completely wrong) and like you on balance I would pick him over any of the youngsters for this game. I think it would be easier to throw Cochrane in for a home derby but just feel its a huge risk so early on and when we need a result in this one given previous fiasco's. If Cowie is out there is a real dilemma as Bauben whilst experienced and capable of putting to one side the fans angst towards him simply looks overwhelmed these days in fast paced games. The Serb hasn't really had nearly enough game time up to this point and I'd be astonished if he starts unless one of Isma or Lafferty are on the bench. And for me leaving one of them out would signal we are handing all initiative over to Hibs. We don't have many goals in the side and they are our biggest threats. I would be using Lafferty to work back a bit when they have possession but I think when you see the midfield options they are 2 of our better players and it would be a mistake to leave either out. 

In terms of a prediction I am so torn. My heart wants to say that we will produce a stirring, resilient, determined performance and that we will cause them problems when we get into the final 3rd. That the big keeper will command our box and Berra and Souttar will show the quality they both possess. That Walker will produce some of the moments we know he is capable of but see far to rarely and that Lafferty will score a derby goal we will all remember for years to come. My head however thinks we are going to struggle mightily, not because there is much between the teams or that Hibs are this great side but because at this moment I think they may have a team that is more prepared for this game. I think recent evidence would suggest we can certainly finish above them this season but tomorrow, I just don't know. I just feel we are short in key areas and that unless everyone is at it and mistakes are kept to a premium we will be under the cosh a lot. Our options are limited and our bench will again be weak. I'd take a draw and move on in the hope that when they come to Tynie in December after our run of home matches our confidence will be high, we may have a more settled side and have the likes of Hughes, Smith-Brown, Djoum etc available. The young lads may also have a fair bit more game time by then.

Grzelak is a red card waiting to happen for sure. He's also not technically proficient to play in the SPL nor is he fit enough. Another recruitment fiasco. Being naturally left sided and the chance that he could play as a defensive left back are the only reasons I'd consider him.

Neilson made Morgaro Gomis surplus to requirements 2 years ago.  If he were still here he'd start tomorrow night. That's no slight on the wee man (best post Administration signing imo) but that imo shows how much of a disaster our transfer business has been in the intervening two years. 

I'm ever the pessimist ahead of these games, but for some odd reason I think we'll sneak it tomorrow night by a goal. 

10 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Grzelak is a red card waiting to happen for sure. He's also not technically proficient to play in the SPL nor is he fit enough. Another recruitment fiasco. Being naturally left sided and the chance that he could play as a defensive left back are the only reasons I'd consider him.

Neilson made Morgaro Gomis surplus to requirements 2 years ago.  If he were still here he'd start tomorrow night. That's no slight on the wee man (best post Administration signing imo) but that imo shows how much of a disaster our transfer business has been in the intervening two years. 

I'm ever the pessimist ahead of these games, but for some odd reason I think we'll sneak it tomorrow night by a goal. 

Its a interesting point you make about Gomis. When you look at the squad we had in the Championship season and what we have now you can only shake your head at the complete lack of overall improvement. Yes, we now have a couple of experienced internationals but the squad as a whole is lacking quality in numerous areas.

I really hope you are right man, I'll be the first to hold my hands up if the team produces.

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Convincing win = 40,000 plus for the Rangers game?

Is the correct answer!

We need a big performance from lafferty tomorrow, I think if we can be direct and get the ball into the big man's feet, he'll feed walker and Isma either side. Bypass the midfield and play our football where it matters, the final third. Lafferty needs to knock that clown Hanlon about and walker/Isma need to expose Stevenson. Two sitting midfielders to suppress hibs charge from midfield. They're not as good as they think in the final third. This will be close.

What we do need is to keep 11 on the park. The ref was ridiculous on sat - booked anyone that farted. I think tomorrow will be a bit tasty 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's already been confirmed by Levein that Cowie is out. 

On that basis I could see something out of left field like Grzelak or Nowak in the middle of the park if he fancies a right sort out 

Master stroke by Levein at weekend.  Hibs spies at the game on Saturday won't have a ****ing clue what is coming tomorrow night

0-3 :pleased:

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Hendricks said:

Its a interesting point you make about Gomis. When you look at the squad we had in the Championship season and what we have now you can only shake your head at the complete lack of overall improvement. Yes, we now have a couple of experienced internationals but the squad as a whole is lacking quality in numerous areas.

I really hope you are right man, I'll be the first to hold my hands up if the team produces.

It's more likely you will attempt grudging praise while deflecting to another subject or area of the club you have issue with.

7 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

So is this the match thread then ?

If it isn’t , it should be.

Bridge of Djoum

I can't see Hibs scoring 2 against us, and I reckon we will register. A horrible draw or an equally horrible 1-0 for Hearts. 

Absolutely correct in that the game will be won in midfield and who wants it more. At least we have leaders on the park now.

3 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

It's more likely you will attempt grudging praise while deflecting to another subject or area of the club you have issue with.

He's laying the groundwork for an I told you so post.

Its rather sad. It seems many on social media agree with me as well.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

He's laying the groundwork for an I told you so post.

Its rather sad. It seems many on social media agree with me as well.

:isee:

1 hour ago, Hendricks said:

Personally, I’m a Hearts fan.

Archived