Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

henrysmithsgloves
On 06/02/2024 at 09:13, periodictabledancer said:

A reminder of waiting times at Ashford for lorries accessing Dover.

This is the new "normal" so the UK media doesn't bother to report it, unless it's affecting English school holidays, obviously, in which case it's all the fault of the French.

Lorries held up routinley for lengthy spells , all of which has to be paid for by the consumer.

The snack vans must be making a fortune 😀

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Onwards and upwards, comrades. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
12 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Is that that the Fast Show's Rowley Birkin, QC?

Bindy Badgy
12 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Yx5T8IR.gif

I know it's already been posted but I think we need to see it from another angle.

jack D and coke
On 06/02/2024 at 17:14, Lone Striker said:

You do realise that membership of the EU isn't required  in order to join the European Economic Area  ?      A government that is willing to explore the economic benefits of joining the EEA is needed.

What exactly is so great about continuing to support your right-wing nutjob hard Brexit posh boys ? They've fecked the economy for millions of people - apart from their own ilk who've lined their pockets 

By the way,  are you ri Alban  on here too ?   Its just that you seem to be doing a fine job of advancing the case for  independence.    Better than ri Alban does actually.

He voted yes don’t you know…

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7nklw6wecgc562st7c2

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

😭😂

Love that gif man. 

Keep it handy Jack. It'll be getting some mileage in the next 6 months

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Keep it handy Jack. It'll be getting some mileage in the next 6 months

Aw it’s saved :lol: 

• 4 weeks later...
The Mighty Thor

India signs a trade deal with EFTA.

Still no such deal with Global Britain. 

We hold all the cards 👍

Gundermann
27 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Almost as if we were lied to and Boris and friends just wanted to line their pockets...

JudyJudyJudy

Still oot ? Just checking . The will of the people and all . Like .

manaliveits105

Yes vote 8 years ago left 4 years ago and still droning on - it keeps them off the streets though . 

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Yes vote 8 years ago left 4 years ago and still droning on - it keeps them off the streets though . 

Chez Manbarelyalive, where democracy stopped in 2014 and 2016. 

Lone Striker

There musht be shum mishtake, Shirley ?  

How can experts like Mogg, Johnson, Farage, Truss, Raab,  Badenoch, Leadsom,  Widdecombe, etc   be wrong ?   They all said Brexit would be good for the economy, jobs, food prices,  etc.    Brexit Britain would lead the way in economic growth, unshackled by  Brussels bureaucracy, to trade with a world just waiting with open arms to sign FTAs.  

Most of them were hangers-on of course...... led up the garden path by the unelected Farage and the incoherent  gobbledy-**** nonsense spouted by the fat  serial-shagging  imposter Johnson.    

Anyone who saw the film Being There (Peter Sellers final film) will remember  the  comedic situation where a series of fluke events lead a simple uneducated man (Sellers) with no relevant knowledge  of anything except gardening can be  mistaken by  powerful people for an clever, insightful and beguiling future political leader.     Ach, that could never happen, I hear you say.       Err.....umm.... George W Bush ...... Donald Trump.... Boris Johnson ..... the new Argentinian guy.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

There musht be shum mishtake, Shirley ?  

How can experts like Mogg, Johnson, Farage, Truss, Raab,  Badenoch, Leadsom,  Widdecombe, etc   be wrong ?   They all said Brexit would be good for the economy, jobs, food prices,  etc.    Brexit Britain would lead the way in economic growth, unshackled by  Brussels bureaucracy, to trade with a world just waiting with open arms to sign FTAs.  

Most of them were hangers-on of course...... led up the garden path by the unelected Farage and the incoherent  gobbledy-**** nonsense spouted by the fat  serial-shagging  imposter Johnson.    

Anyone who saw the film Being There (Peter Sellers final film) will remember  the  comedic situation where a series of fluke events lead a simple uneducated man (Sellers) with no relevant knowledge  of anything except gardening can be  mistaken by  powerful people for an clever, insightful and beguiling future political leader.     Ach, that could never happen, I hear you say.       Err.....umm.... George W Bush ...... Donald Trump.... Boris Johnson ..... the new Argentinian guy.

Yes I’ve seen that film . It’s re markedly prescient . Peter Sellers was superb . And also the great Melvyn Douglas as the ailing president 

manaliveits105
On 13/03/2024 at 03:48, JudyJudyJudy said:

Still oot ? Just checking . The will of the people and all . Like .

We are indeed James it was a bad decision but we have no plans to go back in - the younger generations just  seem to be getting on with it - we are where we are whereas some auld duffers on here have it living rent free in their heids and it's destroying them.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

We are indeed James it was a bad decision but we have no plans to go back in - the younger generations just  seem to be getting on with it - we are where we are whereas some auld duffers on here have it living rent free in their heids and it's destroying them.

I get that people are angry about us leaving but there’s fevk all we can do about it now so may as well try and make best we can . Which is basically nowt . As stated numerous times I voted to stay . I don’t know anyone who voted to leave . So like a poster said earlier I do think that a party will campaign to on a return to the EU but not for a few years . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

That the same young people that have been denied the ability to live and travel freely across 27 countries because raciatbold ***** don't want brown people taking wur joabs likesy.

Meanwhile the UK circles the plughole before its inevitable fragmentation into racist right wing little England and everyone else 

:greggy:

Mikey1874
On 16/03/2024 at 07:25, manaliveits105 said:

Britain summed up

manaliveits105

If they want to come they will still come 

we have always needed passports - it's never stopped us flooding abroad 

What part of we are not in the EU is hard to understand Simon ? 

Ulysses
40 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

If they want to come they will still come 

we have always needed passports - it's never stopped us flooding abroad 

What part of we are not in the EU is hard to understand Simon ? 

If ever you want to quote a perfect example of the little Englander "fog in Channel" mentality of some people, just bookmark that post.

I'm sure most readers will have noticed already that (i) telling Johnny Foreigner slowly and loudly to just be more English probably won't work, (ii) the real reason the British all have passports is because otherwise they'd have to holiday in Britain and ****ing Ireland, and (iii) those 200 million plus Europeans have loads and loads of places they can go using their ID cards, so a percentage of them won't bother their arses and their pockets getting passports just so they can visit Britain. Why throw away tourism income?

Ireland is also outside Schengen, but EU citizens can use their national ID cards to enter the country.

Nucky Thompson

I've been on holiday in Europe 7 times in the last 14 months.

I was absolutely gutted that I had to take my passport with me instead of having a wee plastic ID card :lol:

SectionDJambo
14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I was absolutely gutted that I had to take my passport with me instead of having a wee plastic ID card :lol:

More Europeans will have passports than not. Many will have been wanting to travel outwith Europe during their lives, I would imagine. They'd have required a passport do that, you would think.

Meanwhile, we've got people in this country who are overjoyed that their new passports are not burgundy anymore. A massive Brexit benefit for some to hold their traditional dark blue passport, made in Holland I believe, again.

Nucky Thompson
29 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

More Europeans will have passports than not. Many will have been wanting to travel outwith Europe during their lives, I would imagine. They'd have required a passport do that, you would think.

Meanwhile, we've got people in this country who are overjoyed that their new passports are not burgundy anymore. A massive Brexit benefit for some to hold their traditional dark blue passport, made in Holland I believe, again.

I would rather have a maroon passport any day :D

Ulysses
46 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Indeed, but apparently a couple of hundred million don't have passports, and one of the reasons for that is that they already can travel to most countries in Europe without them.  So the next time they're thinking about a trip to the UK, they'll have to apply for a passport, and waste both time and money getting it.  Some will do that, but some percentage of that couple of hundred million just won't bother, which means some lost tourism revenues for the UK.  That's what raises the question "why make the change?".  If the other system works, what's the problem?  And of course that points to the "fog in Channel" mentality behind the whole Brexit project.  The problems being caused for traders, transport workers and people generally aren't caused by Brexit.  They're caused by the careless attitude that the UK government took to the departure talks - probably because the person who was nominally head of the UK government at the time of the negotiations was too busy figuring out where to get his hole next instead of doing his job. :laugh: 

Ulysses
24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Indeed. :verysmug:

SectionDJambo
39 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Absolutely 

SectionDJambo
15 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Indeed, but apparently a couple of hundred million don't have passports, and one of the reasons for that is that they already can travel to most countries in Europe without them.  So the next time they're thinking about a trip to the UK, they'll have to apply for a passport, and waste both time and money getting it.  Some will do that, but some percentage of that couple of hundred million just won't bother, which means some lost tourism revenues for the UK.  That's what raises the question "why make the change?".  If the other system works, what's the problem?  And of course that points to the "fog in Channel" mentality behind the whole Brexit project.  The problems being caused for traders, transport workers and people generally aren't caused by Brexit.  They're caused by the careless attitude that the UK government took to the departure talks - probably because the person who was nominally head of the UK government at the time of the negotiations was too busy figuring out where to get his hole next instead of doing his job. :laugh: 

There’s been quite a number of decisions made by the UK which made, in my opinion, a bad move worse. 
As you say, why create situations that will cost the UK ? We only need to look at British roads to see the state this country has been allowed to descend into relatively recently.

We’re skint.

joondalupjambo

Will I travel to the Austrian or Italian Alps for my walking holiday this summer or visit the Lomonds asks German living in Berlin?  Yep it is the Lomonds for me and a cheeky wee hotel in Leven High Street.  Just need to get passports for my wife and I and we are sorted.  Canny wait.  

periodictabledancer
6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

If ever you want to quote a perfect example of the little Englander "fog in Channel" mentality of some people, just bookmark that post.

I'm sure most readers will have noticed already that (i) telling Johnny Foreigner slowly and loudly to just be more English probably won't work, (ii) the real reason the British all have passports is because otherwise they'd have to holiday in Britain and ****ing Ireland, and (iii) those 200 million plus Europeans have loads and loads of places they can go using their ID cards, so a percentage of them won't bother their arses and their pockets getting passports just so they can visit Britain. Why throw away tourism income?

Ireland is also outside Schengen, but EU citizens can use their national ID cards to enter the country.

And there's more : I know a few Romanians who lived here for over a decade pre Brexit and never had/needed a passport as they could travel freely on an ID card.

Clearly that has all changed but what the Little Englanders refuse to acknowledge is that this has crippled the movement of E Europeans into the UK who previously came en famille for the summer to pick crops - my locality used to have  many but there  are none now. And I mean none.

And they stopped coming because it wasn't worth the costs of having to buy passports just to come here for six weeks work. 

Many businesses that used to deal with school trips to the UK have gone bust : schools simply don't come here in the numbers they used to for the same reasons : the kids need passports. 

Got a passport and want to come to the UK on Eurostar ? -  just got much more difficult as the number of destinations have been cut because of fewer travellers and immigration red tape caused by  Brexit , to the point Eurostar has now  had to cut the capacity on trains because they can't physically get everyone through immigration now.

'If they want to come, they will come ' though....

:facepalm:

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

We're absolutely gutted that you bothered to come back.

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Scotlands colours will do though 

Nucky Thompson
10 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

We're absolutely gutted that you bothered to come back.

:sadrobbo:

Nucky Thompson
12 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Will I travel to the Austrian or Italian Alps for my walking holiday this summer or visit the Lomonds asks German living in Berlin?  Yep it is the Lomonds for me and a cheeky wee hotel in Leven High Street.  Just need to get passports for my wife and I and we are sorted.  Canny wait.  

:cornette_dog:

I'm sure if the German was a keen golfer and was desperate to visit Scotland, getting a passport wouldn't be a problem.

He could even use it the following year to visit the USA or even Mauritius 

joondalupjambo
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

:cornette_dog:

I'm sure if the German was a keen golfer and was desperate to visit Scotland, getting a passport wouldn't be a problem.

He could even use it the following year to visit the USA or even Mauritius 

Funny you should say that.  As a member of a decent golf club in the East Neck of Fife I can honestly say the bulk of visitors to our course are English, Americans and Swedes.  Anyway of course they could but the serious issue here is any barrier to travel or trade is not sensible.

il Duce McTarkin

Just to clarify, golf is for wankers.

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

:clyay:

Up ye!

Ulysses

Funny how the fog in Channel lads always repeat the same catchphrases, and when you explain how and why they're missing the point they just do a Beavis & Butthead snigger and repeat the same nonsense.

"Heh.  Hehe, heh. Duuurrr." is an OK strategy for posting on a message board if you want a laugh and have the sense of humour of a 13-year old.  But it's a silly way to manage the international relations of a sovereign nation state.

With a bit of old-fashioned cop on, the British government could have done a Brexit deal that would have been effective for the UK and that would have minimised any damage to trade with the EU while opening up opportunities elsewhere in the world.  But they didn't, because the governing party couldn't agree among its own members, and because it was led by an incompetent and lazy fool.

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

With a bit of old-fashioned cop on, the British government could have done a Brexit deal that would have been effective for the UK and that would have minimised any damage to trade with the EU while opening up opportunities elsewhere in the world.  But they didn't, because the governing party couldn't agree among its own members, and because it's made up of self serving minor aristocrats and landed gentry, competing corporate interests, and was led by an incompetent and lazy Russian asset whose handlers sought to weaken both the EU and UK as much as possible before they went all-in on Ukraine.

I hope that you don't mind the edit.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

Ulysses
39 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I hope that you don't mind the edit.

I don't (though I wouldn't have posted it myself).

Brexit is what it is, and to be honest I've long held the view that whatever decision a country makes about its international relations is its own business, however much people like me might disagree with it.

But governments are supposed to make some kind of effort to look after the interests of the country they serve.  For the hard of ****ing thinking, that means that the British government is supposed to make some kind of effort to look after British interests.  And in the Brexit negotiations they 100% absolutely did no such thing.  If it was even a case of looking after the narrow vested interests that had the government in their pockets you could at least see why they did it.  But they didn't even do that.  The Johnson-led Tories screwed over everyone’s interests, probably including their mates. 

The problem isn't Brexit.  The problem is mostly the Conservative government - but some of it is conservatism itself.  It is more and more apparent that it is a failing ideology. Today's conservative political thinking might be good for "getting it up the oppo", or for promoting vested interests, but it is **** all use for running competent government or for making people's lives better.  You might as well vote for Beavis and Butthead.

• 2 weeks later...
manaliveits105

FTEU 

A Russian-backed "propaganda" network has been broken up for spreading anti-Ukraine stories and paying unnamed European politicians, according to authorities in several countries.

Investigators claimed it used the popular Voice of Europe website as a vehicle to pay politicians.

The Czech Republic and Poland said the network aimed to influence European politics. 

Voice of Europe did not respond to the BBC's request for comment.

Czech media, citing intelligence sources, reported that politicians from Germany, France, Poland, Belgium, the Netherlands and Hungary were paid by Voice of Europe in order to influence upcoming elections for the European Parliament.

Gundermann
On 20/03/2024 at 08:13, il Duce McTarkin said:

That's a but opinionated.

But otherwise spot on.