Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Keep in mind that this is STILL the transition period.

April and July are the two thresholds when all the transitions run out and the ERG Hard Brexit wet dream becomes reality.

That's when the shite is really going to hit the fan.

At which point, the Brexit deniers will trot out more BS about it being the fault of the EU and the media in this country will refocus by dredging up some earth-shattering revelation about COVID-19 to continue distracting the great unwashed. Nothing to see here.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Odds on the Boris cult members reaching the same conclusion? Or of a moment of self-reflection resulting in them suddenly realising the irony of them calling anyone else a cult member? On the board at 1000/1.

Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of your own actions.

Brexit-backing Sunderland says it is not receiving same level of funding outside EU

"I don’t think the Government has any intention to give us pound for pound what we had,” Council leader Graeme Miller said.

Which should come as a surprise to no one, but we see a microcosm of it even on this forum: mocking the idea that Scotland (and the entire UK) could do much better with the "toaries bad" refrain. As if the position that their decade of rule and austerity hasn't led to the worsening of existing problems and the creation of all new ones, with Brexit at the top of the list, isn't a sensible one.

No, that's an entirely rational. And based on the evidence. It ought to be repeated at every opportunity for its plain truth value. Meanwhile, the Rule Brittania types, enraptured, go on making post after post directly at odds with the available data—that's if they even engage with the evidence at all—whilst claiming it is SNP, pro-EU, and independence supporters who are the members of a cult.

Utterly bizarre.

jack D and coke

I seen a bit about the city losing between £25-£75 trillion of exchanges of the euro. Every euro traded used to go through the city and would you believe it’s not going to anymore.

Whodathunkit. 

Brexit seems pretty bad, but then I was always staunchly against it so I'm not really objective.

Are those who voted for it happy with it? What benefits to it am I missing?

19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Brexit seems pretty bad, but then I was always staunchly against it so I'm not really objective.

Are those who voted for it happy with it? What benefits to it am I missing?

The English seen it as voting for independence and they did. Good on them. Pity we couldn't take the same  chance when we had it back in 2014. This time it's gonnae be an ugly divorce, rather than a handshake. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The English seen it as voting for independence and they did. Good on them. Pity we couldn't take the same  chance when we had it back in 2014. This time it's gonnae be an ugly divorce, rather than a handshake. 

:pleasing:

23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's not a viewpoint I've heard often that it was an English vote for independence, interesting perspective but I'd rather hear about that from someone who voted that way.

This isn't about Scotland and whether they will or won't sh*t the bed again though, there's plenty of threads for that. I'm curious as to whether those who did vote Brexit feel it's delivered what they wanted, and if so what are those things? What about the Scots, Welsh and NI who voted it for it?

The negotiations still rumble on. 

DUBLIN (Reuters) - The European Union would be prepared to look at a bilateral veterinary agreement with the UK as a way around many of the barriers associated with the Northern Ireland Protocol, European Commission Vice President Maros Sefcovic was quoted as saying.

“We would be ready to discuss (the issue) with our UK partners,” Irish national broadcaster quoted Sefcovic as saying in an interview and added that Sefcovic raised the issue with his UK counterpart Michael Gove on Wednesday.

RTE also reported that Sefcovic would not rule out extending two grace periods providing Northern Ireland firms with derogations to a number of EU food safety requirements.

Malinga the Swinga
22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's not a viewpoint I've heard often that it was an English vote for independence, interesting perspective but I'd rather hear about that from someone who voted that way.

This isn't about Scotland and whether they will or won't sh*t the bed again though, there's plenty of threads for that. I'm curious as to whether those who did vote Brexit feel it's delivered what they wanted, and if so what are those things? What about the Scots, Welsh and NI who voted it for it?

Think I know 1 Scot who voted for Brexit and a couple of folk down South. 

Scot did it because he likes voting for controversy, and more people went on about it being wrong decision, more he wanted it. 

Couple down in Halifax voted for it because EU were telling UK what to do and they didn't like it. Of course, they had no examples of what EU were making us do, but there you go. 

Don't believe any of them, or myself for that matter, has seen any difference in day to day life. Mind, could be because we are in lockdown. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Think I know 1 Scot who voted for Brexit and a couple of folk down South. 

Scot did it because he likes voting for controversy, and more people went on about it being wrong decision, more he wanted it. 

Couple down in Halifax voted for it because EU were telling UK what to do and they didn't like it. Of course, they had no examples of what EU were making us do, but there you go. 

Don't believe any of them, or myself for that matter, has seen any difference in day to day life. Mind, could be because we are in lockdown. 

Cheers.

The bit in bold reminds me of all the phone ins at the time. People had difficulty articulating why they wanted it so I guess that will still stand and as such they'll have difficulty highlighting whether it's delivered what they wanted seeing as I'm not sure some of them knew in the first place 😂

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

George Street gonna be great 

I love how they always put blue skies in those artists impressions.

In other news a land border pops up.

A new customs checkpoint in Dumfries and Galloway is to be established as a consequence of Brexit.

Under phased stages from April 1, goods entering the UK from the EU will be subject to the same border entry requirements and controls as goods from the rest of the world.

The border control post at Cairnryan will be used to inspect goods that arrive in Scotland from the Republic of Ireland and the wider EU via Northern Ireland. Checks on animals, fish, plants, food and feed are required to ensure products entering the market do not present a risk to public health. These checks are the responsibility of Scottish ministers.

A Special Development Order (SDO) -— a statutory instrument which will help to ensure that planning permission is in place for the infrastructure — has been laid in the Scottish parliament.

Mike Russell, Scotland’s constitution secretary, said: “This move is a direct consequence of a Brexit that people in Scotland overwhelmingly rejected. In these circumstances it is a practical, common-sense and timely action to provide additional planning certainty while detailed proposals are developed and a site for this post is selected.

He added: “Time is of the essence. I have twice written to the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster [Michael Gove] to press for a decision on the need for this post, but it was only in January that the UK government confirmed checks would be required on non-qualifying Northern Ireland goods at Cairnryan.

“We are also still waiting to hear whether HM Revenue & Customs would like to use the site for their responsibilities, but by laying this SDO, the Scottish government, for its own part, is preparing to move as speedily and effectively as it can.”

The UK government requires the border post to be established in the second half of this year. Once an appropriate site has been selected, a site-specific planning consent will have to be obtained before construction can get under way, and the SDO requires engagement to be carried out with various parties before this approval can be sought.

The Scottish government said that 2.59 million tonnes of freight entered the ports at Cairnryan and Lochryan in 2019, which equates to approximately 400,000 goods vehicles. An alternative route for these goods would need to be found if a border control post is not provided at Cairnryan.

The port also handles about 400,000 cars on its routes to Larne and Belfast.

9 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

The negotiations still rumble on. 

DUBLIN (Reuters) - The European Union would be prepared to look at a bilateral veterinary agreement with the UK as a way around many of the barriers associated with the Northern Ireland Protocol, European Commission Vice President Maros Sefcovic was quoted as saying.

“We would be ready to discuss (the issue) with our UK partners,” Irish national broadcaster quoted Sefcovic as saying in an interview and added that Sefcovic raised the issue with his UK counterpart Michael Gove on Wednesday.

Surely not even the British Prime Minister would be so careless as to fall for this?   It's a ****ing scam.  :laugh:

12 hours ago, Taffin said:

It is about Scotland. I voted remain and the big remain vote in Scotland, (not necessarily in support of the EU) and the fact England voted for leaving and there for,  have taken everyone out, has delivered what I voted for. 

Indyref2. 

Edited by ri Alban

WorldChampions1902
On 25/02/2021 at 13:51, Justin Z said:

Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of your own actions.

Brexit-backing Sunderland says it is not receiving same level of funding outside EU

"I don’t think the Government has any intention to give us pound for pound what we had,” Council leader Graeme Miller said.

Which should come as a surprise to no one, but we see a microcosm of it even on this forum: mocking the idea that Scotland (and the entire UK) could do much better with the "toaries bad" refrain. As if the position that their decade of rule and austerity hasn't led to the worsening of existing problems and the creation of all new ones, with Brexit at the top of the list, isn't a sensible one.

No, that's an entirely rational. And based on the evidence. It ought to be repeated at every opportunity for its plain truth value. Meanwhile, the Rule Brittania types, enraptured, go on making post after post directly at odds with the available data—that's if they even engage with the evidence at all—whilst claiming it is SNP, pro-EU, and independence supporters who are the members of a cult.

Utterly bizarre.

No different from Wales and Cornwall getting the same reality check a few weeks ago. Both regions received a disproportionate share of the UK’s EU grants/funding and demanded (and were given) assurances from the U.K. government that they would maintain those level of subsidies post-Brexit.

Fast forward to 2021 and all bets are off. Tory Grandee Nicholas Soames (Grandson of Winston Churchill) even told Cornwall to quote, “F **k Off” recently, when they protested about the fact that the government are now going to go back on their pledge.

Given the post-Brexit hit on Cornish fishing, poor old Cornwall needs to rethink its economic strategy. Maybe it can reopen its tin mines and increase pasty production?

But they knew what they voted for.

15 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

No different from Wales and Cornwall getting the same reality check a few weeks ago. Both regions received a disproportionate share of the UK’s EU grants/funding and demanded (and were given) assurances from the U.K. government that they would maintain those level of subsidies post-Brexit.

Fast forward to 2021 and all bets are off. Tory Grandee Nicholas Soames (Grandson of Winston Churchill) even told Cornwall to quote, “F **k Off” recently, when they protested about the fact that the government are now going to go back on their pledge.

Given the post-Brexit hit on Cornish fishing, poor old Cornwall needs to rethink its economic strategy. Maybe it can reopen its tin mines and increase pasty production?

But they knew what they voted for.

Thing is, it really didn't take a genius to know exactly what they were voting for. If there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that the Tories are going to mug "the little people" off 100% of the time.

WorldChampions1902
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Thing is, it really didn't take a genius to know exactly what they were voting for. If there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that the Tories are going to mug "the little people" off 100% of the time.

Sadly, the tactic of shouting down data/facts with phrases such as, “we are all fed up listening to experts”, “scaremonger!”, “Project Fear!” et al, all worked a treat. 

As Project Reality kicks in, the tactic now is to deny, lie and conflate with COVID to maintain the Unicornucopia of Brexit.

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

As Project Reality kicks in, the tactic now is to deny, lie and conflate with COVID to maintain the Unicornucopia of Brexit

3UEPo4gx6Yz57wMHeXyy8uZ9gXUfObDF-1BWigqF

Do people genuinely want areas of the UK to crash and burn because they voted for Brexit. Give it a break. Ffs. You might disagree with the decision, but come on. 

WorldChampions1902
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do people genuinely want areas of the UK to crash and burn because they voted for Brexit. Give it a break. Ffs. You might disagree with the decision, but come on. 

It’s what they voted for.  

Leavers constantly declared they “knew what they voted for”. Remainers predicted all of this, time and time again. One concludes that faced with the facts presented by Leavers, Remainers indeed “knew what they voted for”, and therefore, in a democracy, it’s only right they get it.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Of course they want crash and burn. Prosperity post brexit would prove them all wrong and diminish snp pro Brussels propaganda.  

WorldChampions1902
4 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Of course they want crash and burn. Prosperity post brexit would prove them all wrong and diminish snp pro Brussels propaganda.  

You DO know that there is not a SINGLE credible Brexit assessment that supported or supports an overall positive benefit to the U.K. economy? And the feared impact to our financial services sector is about to get a whole lot worse than anything we have seen so far. 

What “Prosperity”??

19 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You DO know that there is not a SINGLE credible Brexit assessment that supported or supports an overall positive benefit to the U.K. economy? And the feared impact to our financial services sector is about to get a whole lot worse than anything we have seen so far. 

What “Prosperity”??

If all you have is scare mongering about financial services then it's not a lot. We get to control our island's own political destiny and borders, save billions, but... financial services.  I work in financial services and so far so good. If some of the jobs outsourced to Poland and India over the past decade and more came back to Edinburgh you'd be sad no doubt. 

WorldChampions1902
25 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

If all you have is scare mongering about financial services then it's not a lot. We get to control our island's own political destiny and borders, save billions, but... financial services.  I work in financial services and so far so good. If some of the jobs outsourced to Poland and India over the past decade and more came back to Edinburgh you'd be sad no doubt. 

Well done. Only 6 words into your post and the Brexit Bingo cliches commence.

There is so much wrong with what you say,  I won’t bother attempting to respond, other than to suggest you have a read here. 200 excerpts from MSM on everything that’s wrong with Brexit since January. 

4 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Well done. Only 6 words into your post and the Brexit Bingo cliches commence.

There is so much wrong with what you say,  I won’t bother attempting to respond, other than to suggest you have a read here. 200 excerpts from MSM on everything that’s wrong with Brexit since January. 

So aside from one tear stained Europhile's ramblings...? I assume you'd be happy to have a hard border with England for 'benefits'. No onion peeling required to suss out that ones disastrous effects on Scotland.  We know how much Sturgeon loves Scotland's fishing industry since the trade deal. Couldn't have gave a monkey's bum about them beforehand. 

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I quite liked the increase in living standards brought about by membership of the EU

But I don't see why my taxes should be used to prop up uneconomic areas. 

49 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

This is a myth. 

What was the UK prevented from doing. What Germany has done doesn't bear that out. UK still bound by all EU rules still created its own vaccine programme. 

But maybe we'll soon see. 

WorldChampions1902
22 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

So aside from one tear stained Europhile's ramblings...? I assume you'd be happy to have a hard border with England for 'benefits'. No onion peeling required to suss out that ones disastrous effects on Scotland.  We know how much Sturgeon loves Scotland's fishing industry since the trade deal. Couldn't have gave a monkey's bum about them beforehand. 

Which means you didn’t read it. Too many uncomfortable realities to digest. Sadly, you are not alone. But at least you are consistent.

1 hour ago, JackLadd said:

What a load of cliched nonsense .

Political control/destiny : always in the hands of Parliament & the UK electorate . Always. 

Borders - always in the hands of Parliament but brexiters wanted you to think otherwise and ERG led Tories were happy to join in the lie . And then it was pointed out the UK had ALWAYS had the control to refuse entry to ANYONE from the EU. In fact ANY EU nation could refuse entry to any other EU national that didn't have the means to support themselves. That control always existed but the Tories refused to implement it.

In the meantime they lied about trying to get net immigration under 100K - but wait !  The biggest number of immigrants came from non EU countries - the countries that are even harder to enter from, where you need a visa. But they all blamed the EU and  brexiters won through a blatant lie. 

FS jobs - plenty have been lost to Ireland & NL. Amsterdam now the largest share trading centre in Europe ? Announced just this week ? Thousands of jobs have been lost from London in the last 4 years. 

2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Which means you didn’t read it. Too many uncomfortable realities to digest. Sadly, you are not alone. But at least you are consistent.

The reality I suggest you digest is the island voted to leave a failing bloc and Johnson secured a trade deal despite French opposition. The political benefits of Brexit are clear to me and if there is some economic pain then it will be well worth it, as said nothing compared to dissolving the UK which hypocrites espouse with a straight face.    

WorldChampions1902
1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

The reality I suggest you digest is the island voted to leave a failing bloc and Johnson secured a trade deal despite French opposition. The political benefits of Brexit are clear to me and if there is some economic pain then it will be well worth it, as said nothing compared to dissolving the UK which hypocrites espouse with a straight face.    

Your vote for Brexit clearly had consequences beyond economic then. I said it at the time that any Scottish vote for Brexit was a vote for Scottish Independence. It didn’t go down too well with some friends and family at the time. It’s beginning to look increasingly likely. Project Fear becoming Project Reality on that score too? It’s all just too much for Leavers to accept, I understand that.

Just now, JackLadd said:

The island was lied to.

I just gave you one of them : a great big ***g lie about immigration and "taking back control of our borders". 

That's what people voted for : they didn't give a toss about a "failing bloc". 

What are the political benefits ? The new , changed, super-improved benefits ?

The UK is an independent nation - it was so when it was an EU member and this was confirmed by the UK parliament itself in a written statement . 

What are the economic benefits ?

What are the benefits arising from "our own trade deals" - given that the UKs chief negotiator publicly said the UK can't get a better deal with the EU (our largest trading partner) than the one it already had and trade deals we sign with other nations (eg Japan, which had ALREADY signed a deal with the EU before the UK left) cannot be better than we had as an EU member  - because the EU writes that into its trade deals. So, economic benefits ? 

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Your vote for Brexit clearly had consequences beyond economic then. I said it at the time that any Scottish vote for Brexit was a vote for Scottish Independence. It didn’t go down too well with some friends and family at the time. It’s beginning to look increasingly likely. Project Fear becoming Project Reality on that score too? It’s all just too much for Leavers to accept, I understand that.

Well there is going to be no new referendum whatever lying  troublemaker Sturgeon demands so we will see how we go outside the EU bloc. Why don't you give it a few years to get going and then settle down? As said, any negative impact is minimal compared to the hardship, uncertainty and chaos that leaving the UK and switching to life on the Euro with Scotland as a Brussel's fiefdom with a hard English border, not just a customs border which would be catastrophic on it's own.  

Just now, JackLadd said:

Well there is going to be no new referendum whatever lying  troublemaker Sturgeon demands so we will see how we go outside the EU bloc. Why don't you give it a few years to get going and then settle down? As said, any negative impact is minimal compared to the hardship, uncertainty and chaos that leaving the UK and switching to life on the Euro with Scotland as a Brussel's fiefdom with a hard English border, not just a customs border which would be catastrophic on it's own.  

There will be - you know it. It's just a matter of how long : of  how long a "generation" is for the straw clutchers (as if a throw away remark is somehow a legally binding contract eg your hero still hasn't died in his ditch and the country is still waiting). 

PS Any thoughts on what the legal definition of a "generation" is in political matters ?

Someone told me it's defined in the GFA as 8 years - is that correct ? Do you agree ? 

WorldChampions1902

You are conflating two issues. I wanted the U.K. to Remain in the EU and to remain the U.K. Brexit has changed that for not just myself but for many fellow Scots.

It tickles me that Brexiteers who confess to an economic downside to their vote for the U.K. then suggest that Scotland shouldn’t have Independence because of the economic downsides! 

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You are conflating two issues. I wanted the U.K. to Remain in the EU and to remain the U.K. Brexit has changed that for not just myself but for many fellow Scots.

It tickles me that Brexiteers who confess to an economic downside to their vote for the U.K. then suggest that Scotland shouldn’t have Independence because of the economic downsides

Yup. 

UK businesses warned the UK public : leaving the EU is a bad decision , its bad for business and its bad for jobs (as has been proven).

In the meantime some of the same people who advocated leaving the EU (regardless of the warnings) now caution against leaving the UK cos its bad for jobs and you don't want unnecessary trading barriers with your biggest trading partner. 

19 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The island was lied to.

I just gave you one of them : a great big ***g lie about immigration and "taking back control of our borders". 

That's what people voted for : they didn't give a toss about a "failing bloc". 

What are the political benefits ? The new , changed, super-improved benefits ?

The UK is an independent nation - it was so when it was an EU member and this was confirmed by the UK parliament itself in a written statement . 

What are the economic benefits ?

What are the benefits arising from "our own trade deals" - given that the UKs chief negotiator publicly said the UK can't get a better deal with the EU (our largest trading partner) than the one it already had and trade deals we sign with other nations (eg Japan, which had ALREADY signed a deal with the EU before the UK left) cannot be better than we had as an EU member  - because the EU writes that into its trade deals. So, economic benefits ? 

Save me your Remoaner-ganda. We are free from the chaos, corruption and abject failures of the EU, it's diktats and undemocratic unaccountable institutions. 

I get you're sad that EU ID card holders won't be able to get into the UK after October this year and access our welfare and health service for free. Must be a tough swallow for you.    

Konrad von Carstein

Save me your Remoaner-ganda. We are free from the chaos, corruption and abject failures of the EU, it's diktats and undemocratic unaccountable institutions. 

I get you're sad that EU ID card holders won't be able to get into the UK after October this year and access our welfare and health service for free. Must be a tough swallow for you.    

You cannot be this ill informed, surely to ****? 

Not a remoaner - I pointed out some facts but you don't like it so resort to puerile insults. 

You can't back up your position with any data/facts. 

You resort to more cliched nonsense - "diktats and undemocratic unaccountable institutions".

Give us some examples ?

No one accesses the NHS for free (another cliche) - even immigrants pay NIC. In fact , EU immigrants make less demands on the NHS than most people think because they come here to work (usually for a fairly short period) to make some money and go home (you know, like fruit  pickers ). But that doesn't fit the narrative. And now that the EU spongers aren't coming to the UK in sufficient numbers , Boris has announced a special relaxation of immigration laws to allow them back in ! SO much for EU spongers "taking our jobs". 

It's not a "tough swallow" for me but it seems to be for you : you "won" and you know it's all based on unicorns & rainbows, the hackneyed claims don't bear scrutiny. We all know it. It's simply a political idealogy with no ( immediate )  benefits (even  Rees-Mogg said "it might take 50 years"). 

You don't have any answers on political benefits/ economic benefits : because brexit was never really about any of that. 

32 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

That's wrong too - you have no clue about the welfare reforms brought in by Cameron before the 2016 referendum do you ? 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

If some of the jobs outsourced to Poland and India over the past decade and more came back to Edinburgh you'd be sad no doubt. 

:cornette:

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but India isn't in the EU.

Although to be fair if you don't like outsourcing of jobs to India there's good news, as more Indians will be allowed to do their new jobs in the UK, while getting all the benefits of the NHS and the welfare state. 😉

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/senior-indian-diplomat-britain-must-accept-more-immigration-if-it-wants-a-free-trade-deal

40 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

We are free from the chaos, corruption and abject failures of the EU,

More good news, as the UK has been able to repatriate corruption.

Makes you proud to be British when you know the scale of good old fashioned British corruption.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/13/my-little-crony-map-shows-deals-between-government-mps-and-tory-donors-13587900/

"The EU is corrupt and undemocratic!" un-ironically scream the staunch supporters of a nation with an unelected head of state, unelected 2nd House, a first-past-the-post voting system of government and which has a long and well-documented history of corruption.

:rofl: