Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

I quite liked the increase in living standards brought about by membership of the EU

But I don't see why my taxes should be used to prop up uneconomic areas. 

Hey, I have no qualms at all about be a member of the EU post brexit. I just don't wish any bad on Brexit voters in England. 

I would hope people would not wish ill on Scotland post independence either. 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't give a feck if there was a hard border between Scotland and England either. Its just another border, there are many others Scotland has, and 3 more would not be anymore or less of a problem. 27 more or less with the EU wasn't a problem either, until Boris and Co made it one. 

7 hours ago, Cade said:

"The EU is corrupt and undemocratic!" un-ironically scream the staunch supporters of a nation with an unelected head of state, unelected 2nd House, a first-past-the-post voting system of government and which has a long and well-documented history of corruption.

:rofl:

That will include the Lanour party too.

11 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

There will be - you know it. It's just a matter of how long : of  how long a "generation" is for the straw clutchers (as if a throw away remark is somehow a legally binding contract eg your hero still hasn't died in his ditch and the country is still waiting). 

PS Any thoughts on what the legal definition of a "generation" is in political matters ?

Someone told me it's defined in the GFA as 8 years - is that correct ? Do you agree ? 

Actually, what I'd like anyone repeating that tired, old, anti-democratic line, to do, is to point out where in the Edinburgh Agreement, the phrase "once in a generation" appears.

Answers on a postcard, etc., etc.

1844640984_OnceinaGeneration.jpg.434221581bd2c95da4bb7b729af9bdb5.jpg

Edited by Justin Z

manaliveits105

Stopped reading at - Have a clear legal base - UK says naw - game over .

but but .... Scots law blah blah blah ...... - no happening in the forseeable after Camerons debacle in allowing a referendum .

:greggy:

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Cade said:

"The EU is corrupt and undemocratic!" un-ironically scream the staunch supporters of a nation with an unelected head of state, unelected 2nd House, a first-past-the-post voting system of government and which has a long and well-documented history of corruption.

I don't know how anyone even vaguely informed (like most of us) can be blind to this.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I couldn't give a feck if there was a hard border between Scotland and England either. Its just another border, there are many others Scotland has, and 3 more would not be anymore or less of a problem.

:cornette:

I'd vote for a West Bank style hard border with Paisley tbh.

image.png.fcd614000bc8817ec268333521cfa3e6.png

Edited by Governor Tarkin

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't know how anyone even vaguely informed (like most of us) can be blind to this.

:cornette:

I'd vote for a West Bank style hard border with Paisley tbh.

image.png.fcd614000bc8817ec268333521cfa3e6.png

Not voting for but if it happens, what's the big deal. Passport, thanks very much and through you go. 

As for Paisley, that's your problem, I prefer the attitude through here to the uppity delusional lack of self awareness in other parts of Scotland. 

Opinions who'd have them? 👍

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

As for Paisley, that's your problem, I prefer the attitude through here to the uppity delusional lack of self awareness in other parts of Scotland.

Which shows how out of touch you actually are with the civilised world.

On a serious note though, did you manage to get yourself sorted out with that hospital carry on?

5 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Actually, what I'd like anyone repeating that tired, old, anti-democratic line, to do, is to point out where in the Edinburgh Agreement, the phrase "once in a generation" appears.

Answers on a postcard, etc., etc.

1844640984_OnceinaGeneration.jpg.434221581bd2c95da4bb7b729af9bdb5.jpg

Quite.

But it makes me laugh that Jack lectures us on the future of Scotland based on a  mere comment from a retired politician when his beloved brexiters painted a bus red , drove it round the country, had their pics taken in front of it  and told everyone the NHS was going to get <insert number of choice> millions for the NHS - and then pretend it never happened. And even if it did, politicians shouldn't be held accountable for the lie (just one of many in brexitland).  

Scotland, on the other hand must be held to a MUCH higher standard than brexit.

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

But it makes me laugh that Jack lectures us on the future of Scotland based on a  mere comment from a retired politician when his beloved brexiters painted a bus red , drove it round the country, had their pics taken in front of it  and told everyone the NHS was going to get <insert number of choice> millions for the NHS - and then pretend it never happened. And even if it did, politicians shouldn't be held accountable for the lie (just one of many in brexitland).  

It really should.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It really should.

I'm fine with brexit and the outcome. Let it be the benchmark.

Sauce for the goose & all that. 

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'm fine with brexit and the outcome. Let it be the benchmark.

Sauce for the goose & all that. 

The benchmark for what? How to vote yourself into worse economic and social position?

It's far too early to tell whether Brexit will ultimately prove to be a shrewd move for the betterment of ordinary folk (both here and abroad), but like everything else in life there will be winners and losers.

If the SNP drove a red bus about with 'Vote Aye and we'll spend the <insert number of choice> millions of oil and whisky revenues that those pesky English currently steal from us on the NHS', they'd deserve the same ridicule that their Brexit counterparts did.

UK national debt is now £2.13t. 

With brexit still to kick in. 

GDP for 2020 was £1.97t

Must be close to going bust. Or does that only happen to Scotland. 

This low tax haven post brexit isn't going happen. 

Edited by ri Alban

WorldChampions1902
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

UK national debt is now £2.13t. 

With brexit still to kick in. 

GDP for 2020 was £1.97t

Must be close to going bust. Or does that only happen to Scotland. 

This low tax haven post brexit isn't going happen. 

If the MSM are to believed, the imminent Budget will announce a massive hike in Corporation Tax. Looks like the U.K. becoming, “Singapore on Thames” is going on hold for a few years at least. Every cloud........

Footballfirst

UK breaking international law once again?  Unilaterally extended transition period for food and other products coming into NI by six months.

All the Loyalist paramilitaries withdraw their support for the Good Friday Agreement.

EU prepares legal options to the UK's unilateral extension of the Northern Ireland Protocol implementation period.

Here we go.

Despite the tolies getting the bunting and champerz out when they announced this "special deal" with Japan that's much better than the one they have with the EU (it really isn't), my work just told me today that any equipment we buy from Japan will now be subject to a large shipping charge (from around £1800 to around £12000 per unit).

Ahh well, another day to wait on the Brexit Benefit...I am sure the "bounce" will be along shortly.

On 28/02/2021 at 14:05, NANOJAMBO said:

Quite.

It could have been bullshit but I did see figures showing that the NHS did have increased spending along those lines. Granted, I'm skeptical that would have been the case if not for Covid but technically, at least according to the numbers I saw, they haven't actually broken that claim. 

I think the Tories will get their collective erses skelpt at the next election. I also strongly believe those MPs like the ERG Johnson and all the others who lied to us about Brexit will get emptied. 
Those that are left will have to sort out this sorry mess that is Brexit. The chickens are coming home to roost big style. 

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

It could have been bullshit but I did see figures showing that the NHS did have increased spending along those lines. Granted, I'm skeptical that would have been the case if not for Covid but technically, at least according to the numbers I saw, they haven't actually broken that claim. 

Indeed. Boris promised us 50 new hospitals last year, for starters. 

Seymour M Hersh

Article in the Telegraph.

America has agreed to suspend punitive tariffs on a host of UK goods including Scotch whisky, cashmere clothes and clotted cream in a victory for post-Brexit Britain, after a truce was agreed over illegal state aid for aircraft makers.

The deal means that levies of 25pc will be lifted on £550m of exports to the US. The duties were imposed two years ago as part of a long-running row about subsidies and tax breaks offered to Airbus and Boeing.

One of the biggest beneficiaries is the Scottish whisky industry, which supports 50,000 jobs and counts the US as its largest market.

17 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I think the Tories will get their collective erses skelpt at the next election. I also strongly believe those MPs like the ERG Johnson and all the others who lied to us about Brexit will get emptied. 
Those that are left will have to sort out this sorry mess that is Brexit. The chickens are coming home to roost big style. 

Sadly not.

The English have collective Stockholm Syndrome.

They actually believe that the tories have their best interests at heart.

20 seat Majority for the Eton mess.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Sadly not.

The English have collective Stockholm Syndrome.

They actually believe that the tories have their best interests at heart.

20 seat Majority for the Eton mess.

I think once the pocket get hit people will change their mind.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Do those include hospitals which aren’t now going to be shutdown? Similar to his claim of, I think, 50,000 new nurses which included thousands who he said wouldn’t now leave their jobs with the NHS?

5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Do those include hospitals which aren’t now going to be shutdown? Similar to his claim of, I think, 50,000 new nurses which included thousands who he said wouldn’t now leave their jobs with the NHS?

I've no idea - I genuinely no longer listen to any UK news (apart from C4 , occasionally). 

Much better for my mental health. 

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

I think once the pocket get hit people will change their mind.

The Tories raised VAT from 8% to 20% and people still continued to vote for them over that time. 

As brexiters proudly told us, "you can't put a price on freedom" !!

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

The Tories raised VAT from 8% to 20% and people still continued to vote for them over that time. 

As brexiters proudly told us, "you can't put a price on freedom" !!

The people are nuts for putting up with them. 
 "you can't put a price on freedom" !! that’s what the Independence voters shout as well by the way. There’s a few on here that have trumpeted that over the years.

Just now, Boy Daniel said:

"you can't put a price on freedom" !! that’s what the Independence voters shout as well by the way. There’s a few on here that have trumpeted that over the years.

They may well be nuts but huge great tax hikes didn't put them off - so hardly endorsing your point ( as you are well aware).

What price freedom : well, we know yours. So long as you don't have to pay for it, you're OK with it. 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

They may well be nuts but huge great tax hikes didn't put them off - so hardly endorsing your point ( as you are well aware).

What price freedom : well, we know yours. So long as you don't have to pay for it, you're OK with it. 

What is mine? Obviously if I’m in Scotland I would have to pay for it I’ve no problem with that. 

11 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

What is mine? Obviously if I’m in Scotland I would have to pay for it I’ve no problem with that. 

You've no problem with independence ?

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You've no problem with independence ?

No as it suits me especially if we get back into the EU.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Norm said:

I heard that, too, but didn't the increased spending start last year, before the UK left the EU?

WorldChampions1902
3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Aye....., Dolls Hospitals no doubt. And we can’t even afford those now!

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Aye....., Dolls Hospitals no doubt. And we can’t even afford those now!

I'm sure it will be a resigning issue though - like "once in a generation". 

3 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I heard that, too, but didn't the increased spending start last year, before the UK left the EU?

Probably, and most likely only because of Covid, but you can be damn sure the greasy *******s will point to it as only being possible due to Brexit. 

7 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

An independent Scotland will be a hugely attractive country for new investment come independence. The natural resources of this we place are off the charts. And with a full government elected and ousted by the people of Scotland, we can decide who gets to use these resources to the benefit of us. And who we buy and sell to on this planet. Like Saudi and other dubious states. 

Anyway, there's plenty of information out there that shows exactly how well an independent Scotland can do. 

But going back to this 'Freedom' bollox. It's about democracy, England seen the EU as something that was trampling over their democracy (Funnily enough they don't mind doing it to Scotland, NI and Wales). So when you look at what has happened lately with Brexit and now Covid, it's time to take control of what we do from here. 

COMMENT

Ignore the myths: a return to the EU is not to be feared

March 5 2021, The Times

I am prompted by Peter Mackay’s Thunderer (March 2) to offer an alternative perspective on Scotland and the European Union. Mackay complains about European Commission bureaucracy. Of course there is a civil service in Brussels, but in fact the commission acts for some 450 million inhabitants, speaking 23 languages, with staff numbers not much larger than those required to administer a British city.

Leaving the EU has shown just how much bureaucracy the EU has eliminated in the movement of goods, services and people for work and play. Ask Scottish seafood exporters. Ask sheep farmers. Ask haulage contractors, artists and musicians, students and teachers and many, many others.

Much of the “bureaucratic” regulation that has been legislated democratically at EU level for the health and welfare of citizens, covering a huge range of sectors, from food and pesticides to banking to water and air quality, is now the subject of ardent preservation campaigns by those affected.

Speaking as a Scottish Conservative and Unionist, it’s true those advocating an independent Scotland rejoining the EU do have to answer questions on currency and the English border, among much else. But committing to the euro does not imply joining with any haste — just ask the Swedes or Poles — while the alternatives of a tie to sterling or a completely free Scottish merk raise their own problems.

And how “nasty” at the border would a rump UK be to its former spouse of 300 years? Divorces are never easy. We can learn from Brexit. What would not be the case is Scotland being “subject to the whim of an unelected European Commission”.

In repeating this mantra, Mackay ignores the fact that all EU legislation is decided jointly by elected MEPs and by the Council of Ministers (government ministers of member states), with both institutions weighted to favour smaller countries. The commissioners, confirmed in post and monitored by MEPs, have the role of implementing that legislation. It makes no more sense to bemoan the unelected commission than it does to complain that Mackay was an unelected civil servant.

Ignore the myths peddled for years by Eurosceptic politicians and media. As part of the largest and freest single trading bloc and force for peace in the world, Scots would have the same democratic voting rights as all their fellow Europeans in setting the rules and standards by which they live. Perhaps, given recent events and the UK’s outdated constitution, they would have more.

John Purvis is a former Scottish Conservative MEP

i like it!

WorldChampions1902
8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Nicola Sturgeon has become a profoundly compromised politician.

In contrast to the following damning list, her alleged ‘shortcomings’ almost pale into insignificance.

Priti Patel sacked for breaching the ministerial code by holding treasonous secret meetings with foreign state officials, aimed at siphoning off the UK aid budget into their illegally occupied territories.
Tories: Let's bring her back into government, and put her in charge of the Home Office, that'll be good for a laugh.
🔵 Tory Housing Minister Robert Jenrick breaches the ministerial code (and the law) by colluding with a property developer to diddle £40 million off one of Britain's most deprived local councils.
Tories: This is all a fuss over nothing. £40 million is mere pocket change to people like us. He can stay in his job.
🔵 Tory Prime Minister Boris Johnson unlawfully suspends parliament to evade democratic scrutiny of his shambolic Brexit bodge job, then bare-faced lies to the entire nation that he's not creating a regulatory border between Northern Ireland and mainland Britain, when that's precisely what he did do.
Tories: This is all above board, and Boris is doing a fantastic job
🔵 Priti Patel is found to have breached the ministerial code again, this time by savagely bullying her subordinates to such an extent that one of them was reduced to contemplating suicide, and another highly respected civil servant quit his job claiming constructive dismissal.
Tories: We must "form a square" around Priti. She will not be held to account over this.
🔵 Tory government ministers repeatedly and egregiously breach the ministerial code by briefing major policy announcements to their chums in the corporate media, instead of announcing them in parliament, as stipulated in section 9.1 ("the most important
announcements of Government policy should be made in
the first instance, in Parliament").
Tories: Why on earth would we announce things in parliament, where opposition politicians could potentially hold us to account, when we're guaranteed the easiest possible ride whenever we leak the plans to friendly hacks in the right-wing propaganda rags?
🔵 Tory Health Secretary Matt Hancock uses the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse to launch an absolute orgy of corruption, handing out £billions in untendered contracts to his spivvy mates, tax-dodgers, scammers, empty shell companies with no employees and no experience of medical procurement, and even his former pub landlord. Furthermore he's found to have acted unlawfully by keeping the details of these ridiculously dodgy untendered contracts secret.
Tories: This is so unfair, all the corruption and lawlessness we engaged in was necessary, because our policy of deliberately allowing the virus to spread in the crucial early stages ended up creating absolute pandemonium!
🟠 SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon is accused of breaching the ministerial code over her handling of the false accusations against former SNP leader Alex Salmond.
Tories: This is an absolute disgrace, Sturgeon must resign!

Ron Burgundy
27 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

In contrast to the following damning list, her alleged ‘shortcomings’ almost pale into insignificance.

Priti Patel sacked for breaching the ministerial code by holding treasonous secret meetings with foreign state officials, aimed at siphoning off the UK aid budget into their illegally occupied territories.
Tories: Let's bring her back into government, and put her in charge of the Home Office, that'll be good for a laugh.
🔵 Tory Housing Minister Robert Jenrick breaches the ministerial code (and the law) by colluding with a property developer to diddle £40 million off one of Britain's most deprived local councils.
Tories: This is all a fuss over nothing. £40 million is mere pocket change to people like us. He can stay in his job.
🔵 Tory Prime Minister Boris Johnson unlawfully suspends parliament to evade democratic scrutiny of his shambolic Brexit bodge job, then bare-faced lies to the entire nation that he's not creating a regulatory border between Northern Ireland and mainland Britain, when that's precisely what he did do.
🔵 Priti Patel is found to have breached the ministerial code again, this time by savagely bullying her subordinates to such an extent that one of them was reduced to contemplating suicide, and another highly respected civil servant quit his job claiming constructive dismissal.
Tories: We must "form a square" around Priti. She will not be held to account over this.
🔵 Tory government ministers repeatedly and egregiously breach the ministerial code by briefing major policy announcements to their chums in the corporate media, instead of announcing them in parliament, as stipulated in section 9.1 ("the most important
Tories: Why on earth would we announce things in parliament, where opposition politicians could potentially hold us to account, when we're guaranteed the easiest possible ride whenever we leak the plans to friendly hacks in the right-wing propaganda rags?
🔵 Tory Health Secretary Matt Hancock uses the coronavirus pandemic as an excuse to launch an absolute orgy of corruption, handing out £billions in untendered contracts to his spivvy mates, tax-dodgers, scammers, empty shell companies with no employees and no experience of medical procurement, and even his former pub landlord. Furthermore he's found to have acted unlawfully by keeping the details of these ridiculously dodgy untendered contracts secret.
Tories: This is so unfair, all the corruption and lawlessness we engaged in was necessary, because our policy of deliberately allowing the virus to spread in the crucial early stages ended up creating absolute pandemonium!
🟠 SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon is accused of breaching the ministerial code over her handling of the false accusations against former SNP leader Alex Salmond.

They should all be walking up the steps to the guillotine, Sturgeon included.

9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

They should all be walking up the steps to the guillotine, Sturgeon included.

Comrade. ✊🏻 SalutingEmoji.jpg

Ron Burgundy
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Comrade. ✊🏻 SalutingEmoji.jpg

I'm not tribal or partisan about politics. I've changed my party of choice many times at elections. If someone is a lying deceitful snake then it matters not a jot which party they are aligned to. Shoot the lot of them.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm not tribal or partisan about politics. I've changed my party of choice many times at elections. If someone is a lying deceitful snake then it matters not a jot which party they are aligned to. Shoot the lot of them.

Honestly, if people would simply hold their politicians to account to even a tenth of this degree, regardless of everyone's individual political opinions, we'd be so much better off.

41 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

And don't forget "Scotland has become a banana republic".:rofl:

Maybe the Tories could get their big red Brexit bus out again and drive it around Scotland as part of a  "Get Nichola Oot" campaign. Ruth the Mooth would be perfect for it. 

Jesus wept : the sheer brass neck. 

jack D and coke
48 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

A blow torch couldn’t mark their neck. 

Oh dear, Brexit. What have you done ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56283199

The 45 towns in England that will share just over £1bn from the Towns Fund were announced in Wednesday's Budget.

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) officials took a ranking of English towns by an Office for National Statistics (ONS) index of deprivation and then further ranked the 541 most deprived, about half of the total, using a formula based on:

• income deprivation
  • skills deprivation
  • productivity (the amount produced per hour of work)
  • exposure to Brexit

What happened to the unicorns & rainbows ? 

Spare a thought (and some change Guvnor) for poor old Nige, with the Brexit grift no longer yielding the kind of money it used to he's reduced to flogging video messages at £63.75 a pop. That superannuated EU pension can't kick in quickly enough.

:sob:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-08/nigel-farage-charging-6375-for-video-messages-after-joining-cameo-in-first-venture-since-quitting-politics