Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

56 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I havent got an agenda. All I am saying is that my life hasnt changed one iota due to brexit, just like millions of people's lives didnt change much when we joined the then EEC on the first of January nineteen seventy three

Fair enough but then has you're life improved any? Have you enjoyed the "Brexit bounce" yet?

Freedom of movement only applies if you actually move somewhere I suppose.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Fair enough but then has you're life improved any? Have you enjoyed the "Brexit bounce" yet?

Freedom of movement only applies if you actually move somewhere I suppose.

We are in the middle of a pandemic and you seriously expect peoples lives to have improved in lockdown?

:jj_facepalm:

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic and you seriously expect peoples lives to have improved in lockdown?

:jj_facepalm:

OK.

How will it change for the better AFTER the lockdown (not including the £350 Million a week for the NHS and the full control of our seas)?

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Ah post brexit. The sun still rose in the east yesterday and then set in the west.

I went grocery shopping yesterday and got everything I needed. There was no panicking buying, and there was no rioting.

What a big disappointment for a fair few folk.

And the price you paid was just that bit higher than before......but that hardly matters does it ?

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

OK.

How will it change for the better AFTER the lockdown (not including the £350 Million a week for the NHS and the full control of our seas)?

After lockdown there will be a recession as furloughed people lose their jobs as businesses close as they can't cover the debts incurred during lockdown.

6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

And the price you paid was just that bit higher than before......but that hardly matters does it ?

Nope, not at all.

Biggest price rises overnight in my lifetime. When we decided to change to the decimal currency.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Nope, not at all.

Biggest price rises overnight in my lifetime. When we decided to change to the decimal currency.

Scotland would have voted against decimalisation. It was forced upon us. 🥴

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

After lockdown there will be a recession as furloughed people lose their jobs as businesses close as they can't cover the debts incurred during lockdown.

Grim

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I havent got an agenda. All I am saying is that my life hasnt changed one iota due to brexit, just like millions of people's lives didnt change much when we joined the then EEC on the first of January nineteen seventy three. 

Cultists behave yourself.

We would be interested to know which cult I belong to?

My life hasn't changed throughout anything. Mainly from my own attitude mostly. 

The biggest trauma from outside events was missing the last episode of Dr Who from the 1973 blackout. 

I would say life has got better. Covid actually reminds me of the 70s when things were shit in general.

But who knows why. Thatcher's economic revolution? Being in the EU? Supermarket mass buying power? 

And while against I'll probably benefit through my business from Independence. 

I've also not been affected by other people being homeless or dying of cancer. 

20 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Scotland would have voted against decimalisation. It was forced upon us. 🥴

Same as the Trans debate.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Same as the Trans debate.

I'm not really up to speed on that whole issue/debate.

Not woke enough :oldsad:

4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm not really up to speed on that whole issue/debate.

Not woke enough :oldsad:

Good position. Staying out of that debate seems to be advisable.

WorldChampions1902
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Ah post brexit. The sun still rose in the east yesterday and then set in the west.

I went grocery shopping yesterday and got everything I needed. There was no panicking buying, and there was no rioting.

What a big disappointment for a fair few folk.

Oh dear. Ignorance is bliss!

New build shortage as lack of workers kicks in with EU citizens having gone home and left the sector in the shite. 

Edited by ri Alban

Any up side of leaving the EU yet? 

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has asked for an extension until 2023 of a grace period on checks that would be conducted on trade moving between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom to soften the Brexit impact on the province, the BBC reported.

Political editor Laura Kuenssberg said Cabinet Office Secretary Michael Gove had written to the European Commission’s vice president, Maros Sefcovic, to ask for urgent political solutions.

As part of the Brexit divorce deal, the two sides agreed a three-month grace period on checks on food goods being moved by supermarkets and some wholesale groups from Britain to Northern Ireland, to ease the impact of the post-Brexit new rules.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

Any up side of leaving the EU yet?

Apparently we've all to be patient, as the super, positive result of Brexit won't be truly felt for years. But when those positive happenings happen we'll all be happy people.

In the meantime, there will be "teething problems". We must believe Farage, Gove, Rees Mogg and their flag waving chums, because they always tell the truth, unlike Johnny Foreigner.

Just now, SectionDJambo said:

Apparently we've all to be patient, as the super, positive result of Brexit won't be truly felt for years. But when those positive happenings happen we'll all be happy people.

In the meantime, there will be "teething problems". We must believe Farage, Gove, Rees Mogg and their flag waving chums, because they always tell the truth, unlike Johnny Foreigner.

Exactly. I can see no upside from this. Farage, Gove, Rees Mogg will all sale of into the sunset leaving us to suffer with the shit show. 

2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Exactly. I can see no upside from this. Farage, Gove, Rees Mogg will all sale of into the sunset leaving us to suffer with the shit show. 

If Farage, Gove and Rees Mogg DO **** off out of here I guess that could be considered an upside. Maybe not quite worth the pain and suffering they'll leave behind but if I never heard one syllable uttered by any of them ever again I wouldn't miss it for a picosecond.

6 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Tensions beginning to rise in NI. The only fix IMO was to stay in the EU.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9218479/The-Brexit-disputes-sending-Northern-Ireland-tensions-soaring.html

Hopefully the general public will fight against these pricks on both sides starting this shite again. 

15 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Tensions beginning to rise in NI. The only fix IMO was to stay in the EU.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9218479/The-Brexit-disputes-sending-Northern-Ireland-tensions-soaring.html

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully the general public will fight against these pricks on both sides starting this shite again. 

A nice summary of the N.Ireland arrangements to cut out and keep.

But it's too early to say the graffiti and 'threatening behaviour' are serious. Local intelligence is good and article says it isn't paramilitary involvement. 

The checks should resume safely. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A nice summary of the N.Ireland arrangements to cut out and keep.

But it's too early to say the graffiti and 'threatening behaviour' are serious. Local intelligence is good and article says it isn't paramilitary involvement. 

I feel sorry for the people of NI. They can't win with these psychopaths. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I hope you are right. The way it is now re checks will never change as far as I’m aware they are here to stay. Unless they change the agreement or (which is I want) we rejoin the EU. 

3 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

That’s what all politicians do unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

It seems a ludicrous set up to have NI operating to a different customs system than the rest of the UK 🤷🏻‍♂️

It was the only way.

Because (here we go yet again) the Good Friday Agreement makes a hard brexit illegal/impossible.

But we're in an almost hard brexit situation, with a semi-border running down the irish sea and another semi-border running along the irish border.

It's a fudge but it was the only way around it unless NI got to stay in the customs union fully.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

It was the only way.

Because (here we go yet again) the Good Friday Agreement makes a hard brexit illegal/impossible.

But we're in an almost hard brexit situation, with a semi-border running down the irish sea and another semi-border running along the irish border.

It's a fudge but it was the only way around it unless NI got to stay in the customs union fully.

You mean Kickback's resident meddler hadn't managed to suss out a secret geopolitical solution to the problem created by Brexit and they were absolutely forced to go through with all this other mess instead—and it's still causing innumerable problems?

:interehjrling:

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

It was the only way.

I know why it's there. It's still ludicrous, as are the reasons it's there.

12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

You mean Kickback's resident meddler hadn't managed to suss out a secret geopolitical solution to the problem created by Brexit and they were absolutely forced to go through with all this other mess instead—and it's still causing innumerable problems?

:interehjrling:

It's hardly meddling to think that having part of your sovereign landmass with half a foot in the EU and having the rest completely out as a bit bizarre.

Edited by Taffin

Just now, Taffin said:

It's hardly meddling to think that having part of your sovereign landmass with half a foot in the EU and having the rest completely out as a bit bizarre.

Oh I completely agree—the bizarreness necessitated by all this is kind of the point. My post was in reference to a particular poster who went on for literal years about there being no problem whatsoever created by Brexit as regards the Good Friday Agreement and the North/Republic border.

Yet here we are.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Oh I completely agree—the bizarreness necessitated by all this is kind of the point. My post was in reference to a particular poster who went on for literal years about there being no problem whatsoever created by Brexit as regards the Good Friday Agreement and the North/Republic border.

Yet here we are.

Ah okay, sorry, I'm getting ideas above my station...thought I'd won the crown of resident meddler 😂 

Its mind-blowing we've got ourselves into a situation where it's seen as the least bad option. It's totally dysfunctional but as you say...it's where we are

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Ah okay, sorry, I'm getting ideas above my station...thought I'd won the crown of resident meddler 😂

Resident sound guy, sure :thumbsup: But know your place! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Resident sound guy, sure :thumbsup: But know your place! :lol:

Aw shucks...I'll need to work on my meddling in that case 😂👍

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Cade said:

If Ireland was to be unified, then all of the customs and border stuff goes away.

:whistling:

Bring it on.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

It was the only way.

And yet it was the DUP, with their confidence and supply agreement, followed by their votes, which meant that Northern Ireland was brought closer to Ireland than Great Britain. If Carlsberg did irony...

10 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Yet here we are.

That would be @Francis Albert

10 hours ago, Cade said:

If Ireland was to be unified, then all of the customs and border stuff goes away.

:whistling:

No, but it would be Ireland's/The EU's problem. 

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s not popular with the Protestants but they get better off if they unified Ireland. 
ROI is a great economy and NI one of the poorest in Europe. 
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brendan-boyle-work-on-irish-unity-referendum-must-start-now-1.4472396?mode=amp

Do these people even go to church. It really makes me laugh that they believe God can create the Heavens and the Earth, but can't get a woman pregnant. :rofl:

Edited by ri Alban

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do these people even go to church. It really makes me laugh that they believe God can create the Heavens and the Earth, but can't get a woman pregnant. :rofl:

How did you take that from the article lol genuinely wondering?!