• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Exports down by 68%

Even more red tape due to hit in July after this grace period ends.

:turmoil:

Won't matter to the braindead pondlife who voted us into this mess. 

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

There's this guy though. 

FB_IMG_1612644886179.jpg

Have you hacked my Twitter account WO?? That’s a new low.😂

Weakened Offender
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Our National Intellect?

:wtfvlad:

I wouldn't bother asking him about intellect. He's dafter than a wet hen. 😁

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Our National Intellect?

:wtfvlad:

I'm not sure you could always ask Mr or Mrs Murrell. They seem to have dragged the national benchmark to a new nadir.

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm not sure you could always ask Mr or Mrs Murrell. They seem to have dragged the national benchmark to a new nadir.

Using words you don't know the meaning of does you no favours "National Intellect"  Mup!

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Using words you don't know the meaning of does you no favours "National Intellect"  Mup!

I'll resort to your vernacular....as a nation we've too many brain-dead bigoted zoomers like the guy in the photo.

Weakened Offender

I'll resort to your vernacular....as a nation we've too many brain-dead bigoted zoomers like the guy in the photo.

The guy in the photo is on the march and in the photo because he is a fat, gormless looking, loveless loser. 

And that's a fact. 😊

Konrad von Carstein

My vernacular? 

MyIQis10minus5 posted that erses photo after I jokingly posted a picture of a "unionist banging a drum"  in response to you responding to GT..You then used words you clearly don't understand whilst tying to be funny...Clown

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The guy in the photo is on the march and in the photo because he is a fat, gormless looking, loveless loser. 

And that's a fact. 😊

That's a good enough explanation WO👍

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

My vernacular? 

MyIQis10minus5 posted that erses photo after I jokingly posted a picture of a "unionist banging a drum"  in response to you responding to GT..You then used words you clearly don't understand whilst tying to be funny...Clown

Don't take yourself too seriously KVC, this is an irreverent board👍. I can assure you that I know the meaning of every word I post.. and I thought I was being funny tbh.😄 

Konrad von Carstein

Don't take yourself too seriously KVC, this is an irreverent board👍. I can assure you that I know the meaning of every word I post.. and I thought I was being funny tbh.😄 

Sorry.. but this thread and some of the contributors can be exhausting ...

:hartley:

On 02/02/2021 at 20:54, ri Alban said:

Why does everyone pander to the scum terrorist filth on both sides in NI. Just go in and do them. 

On 03/02/2021 at 16:43, ri Alban said:

Hopefully the general public will fight against these pricks on both sides starting this shite again. 

Both sides?

There aren't two sides.

There doesn't even seem to be one side.

BBC News NI: Trade unions dispute Larne port threats claim

4 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

There's this guy though. 

FB_IMG_1612644886179.jpg

****ing hell!!!! He seems a nice blokey....Wonder how he’d cope bumping into any of us Jock ***** doon a wee laney in the dark....ya know us kilt wearing , Claymore wielding psychos....THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.....

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Have you hacked my Twitter account WO?? That’s a new low.😂

🤣

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Our Verna...Vern....V....Oor good auld Scottish wordies ken...bigoted zoom....bigoted z....big....peoples wi a different opinionay to you Enzo 😏😝

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

There's this guy though. 

FB_IMG_1612644886179.jpg

He makes a fair point. 

9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's pretty much how I imagine Barking Tarken. 😀

If it's a photo of me you're after just check your Mrs phone. 👍

The Mighty Thor
14 hours ago, Cade said:

Exports down by 68%

Even more red tape due to hit in July after this grace period ends.

:turmoil:

Easiest trade deal in human history. 

We hold all the cards.

But wee Jimmy krankie though.....

Well aye......Theresa May had a deal.

Boris said it was pish, re-wrote it, fought and won an election on the back of it and kept promising Unicorns and rainbows.

It's 100% his.

6 hours ago, Cade said:

DUP: "We don't want the sea border coz it's like we're different to the UK"

DUP: "We don't want a border on the island of Ireland coz GFA"

:kirk:

One or the other. Or give Scotland the same deal. I'll take a border with the UK, no problem. 

On 02/02/2021 at 20:54, ri Alban said:

Why does everyone pander to the scum terrorist filth on both sides in NI. Just go in and do them. 

Fairly sure they may have tried that already.

Various road haulage and port associations: "Exports are down 68%"

Government: "Naw they urnae, we've counted the trucks going out"

Road haulers and ports: "Yes but they're mostly empty because of red tape and delays ya loons. It's cheaper and faster to send back an empty lorry than pick up an export load leaving the UK. Exports are down 68%."

Government: "Aye but no but aye but no but we've counted the lorries"

Edited by Cade

39 minutes ago, Cade said:

Road haulers and ports: "Yes but they're mostly empty because of red tape and delays ya loons. It's cheaper and faster to send back an empty lorry than pick up an export load leaving the UK. Exports are down 68%."

Blaming the pandemic as well. Apparently the world average export deficit is 16%; EU average is 14%.

Fine, we'll be generous and say only 50% of the export loss is down to the terrible deal the Tories negotiated. Much better :rolleyes4:

1 hour ago, Cade said:

I've seen this 68% figure on Exports in a lot of places but haven't seen any report of the % difference in Imports. Anyone?

DUP threatening to bring down the NI Executive.

They're all about the sea border.

Well tough titty ya feckin dinosaurs.

There had to be a border somewhere and the GFA made a land one illegal.

Suck it up.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

DUP threatening to bring down the NI Executive.

They're all about the sea border.

Well tough titty ya feckin dinosaurs.

There had to be a border somewhere and the GFA made a land one illegal.

Suck it up.

This latest storm in a Northern Ireland teacup isn't really about Brexit.  During the week, social media (and in some cases the mainstream media) have been full of the "wrong" kind of stories from a DUP point of view - all about smooth transactions and deliveries getting across the Irish Sea without hitches.  It also turns out that there were never any threats made against workers at the port in Larne.  But just before all this broke the latest opinion poll in the North saw a continued trend of a drop in support for the DUP, a smaller fall in support for Sinn Féin, and an increase for the Alliance party, with votes on the right of the DUP shifting further right to the TUV.  Based on the poll, the next Assembly elections would see Michelle O'Neill as NI First Minister.  The DUP needs to stoke up the old divisions to make itself relevant again, and collapsing the Executive is the next logical step.

Raab: "Yes, businesses are losing millions and either closing or moving to Europe, but if you take a 10-year view then maybe there will be new opportunities in emerging global markets"

:rofl:

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Raab: "Yes, businesses are losing millions and either closing or moving to Europe, but if you take a 10-year view then maybe there will be new opportunities in emerging global markets"

:rofl:

Jacob Grease-Mogg was a bit more pessimistic about the U.K. timescale for reaping Brexit benefits. He said, “the overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years'.”

The Tories are not even consistent on this.

37 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Jacob Grease-Mogg was a bit more pessimistic about the U.K. timescale for reaping Brexit benefits. He said, “the overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years'.”

They kept talking about the long term because they daren't talk about short term gains* - there were never going to be any. 

*Apart from the £300M per day for the NHS, obviously. And that should be a big help in wiping out the Covid related debt. As if. 

41 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

They kept talking about the long term because they daren't talk about short term gains* - there were never going to be any. 

*Apart from the £300M per day for the NHS, obviously. And that should be a big help in wiping out the Covid related debt. As if. 

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So we've to wait until many of us won't be around to see the benefit of something we were told would benefit us immediately during the referendum campaign. They're surely not going to have the brass neck to now tell us it could take 50 years for any benefits, after saying this would be the easiest free trade deal in history to achieve, and even WTO terms would be better than being in the EU. 

And the slogan on that bus wasn't put there by any of Farage, Johnston and their mob either. They just got their photos taken with it.

There's not much doubt that people like Rees Mogg have an hidden agenda for all their cheer leading and Rule Britannia stuff. 

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

So we've to wait until many of us won't be around to see the benefit of something we were told would benefit us immediately during the referendum campaign. They're surely not going to have the brass neck to now tell us it could take 50 years for any benefits, 

That's exactly what Rees-Mogg said, long before Johnson's "oven ready" "dying in a ditch" deal was signed off. 

TBF to Rees-Mogg, he genuinely believes in brexit (unlike Johnson) - his old man was a nutter and has written some wacky stuff beloved of US conservative right wingers that chimes with Brexit. R-M jnr has been linked with nutters like Steve Bannon. 

Impact on an Edinburgh business and others... I notice our brexiteers are very quiet as the truth hurts

Scotland's food and drink industry is warning of price rises and potential shortages when new Brexit rules on imports come into force in April.

The UK's departure from the European Union has already led to a forest of new paperwork for firms exporting to the continent.

According to James Withers, of trade body Scotland Food and Drink, the impact has been "horrendous".

He says the seafood sector alone was losing "about a million pounds a day".

"There's no sign of any improvement soon," Mr Withers says. "In fact [there are] many signs things could get worse."

The UK government said it was working closely with businesses to make sure they could "take advantage of the opportunities" that leaving the European Union brings.

It said businesses were adjusting well to the new trade rules, which are being phased in over the next few months, and it was offering extensive advice and support.

When Great Britain finally left the single market on Hogmanay the EU insisted on the immediate introduction of controls on exports to the continent but the UK government opted to wait until 1 April to introduce similar checks on imports.

Mr Withers says: "Those checks, when they're put in place, could also make things slow, more expensive and a lot more complex for EU businesses who need to sell products into businesses here.

"And that's a big issue for supermarkets and will be a big issue for many food companies who get ingredients from Europe."

One of those companies is Charles Stamper Fruit and Veg in Edinburgh which sources much of its produce from Spain and the Netherlands.

Managing director Louise Stamper says: "One thing for certain is prices will go up.

"It's going to just become very expensive to go out for a meal."

Ms Stamper founded the firm 32 years ago with her husband, Charles. They normally supply fresh fruit, vegetables and other produce to the hospitality industry, schools and nursing homes.

Like many businesses they saw a heavy impact last year due to the Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns.

Ms Stamper says the first lockdown in March last year saw them lose all but a handful of their customers.

Switching to home deliveries helped but they didn't come close to making up for the lost trade. A year ago the firm employed 30 people. Now it has 15 staff.

Making matters worse, Ms Stamper says imports are 20% more expensive than they were last winter, a rise which she attributes in part to Brexit-related border disruption.

Mr Withers reckons that the enforced closure of hospitality, entertainment and tourism due to Covid cost food and drink firms £3bn in lost sales in 2020, in a sector worth £15bn annually to the country's economy, including £6bn of exports.

That's nothing like enough to offset the farm's ice cream and tourism losses but if Scotland were still in the EU, says Ms Finlay, she would now be taking the cheese enterprise to the next stage by ramping up exports to the continent.

The additional costs of Brexit have put paid to that ambition. They amount, she calculates, to £45 in time and paperwork on every £35 order. That's before she has even considered the cost of production or postage.

"It's just a non-starter," says Ms Finlay who describes the impact of Brexit as an "annoyance" and the pandemic as "devastating".

What really surprised the Finlays though was the realisation that the EU-mandated checks and paperwork would also apply to trade with Northern Ireland where they had developed a number of loyal customers.

The reason lies in the deal formalising the UK's exit from the EU which allowed Northern Ireland to remain in the single market to prevent the potentially incendiary return of an Irish land border.

Instead there is now an Irish Sea border: dividing the UK, outraging unionists and leading to shortages of some goods in Northern Ireland.

"We hadn't seen that [Brexit] would also close the route to Northern Ireland because we're actually physically nearer to Belfast than we are to Glasgow and Edinburgh," says Ms Finlay who says she was deeply disappointed to be forced to stop supplying her Northern Irish customers.

The disruption of commerce is also have an effect on the constitutional debate.

Edited by CJGJ

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Impact on an Edinburgh business and others...

Scotland's food and drink industry is warning of price rises and potential shortages when new Brexit rules on imports come into force in April.

The UK's departure from the European Union has already led to a forest of new paperwork for firms exporting to the continent.

According to James Withers, of trade body Scotland Food and Drink, the impact has been "horrendous".

"There's no sign of any improvement soon," Mr Withers says. "In fact [there are] many signs things could get worse."

The UK government said it was working closely with businesses to make sure they could "take advantage of the opportunities" that leaving the European Union brings.

It said businesses were adjusting well to the new trade rules, which are being phased in over the next few months, and it was offering extensive advice and support.

When Great Britain finally left the single market on Hogmanay the EU insisted on the immediate introduction of controls on exports to the continent but the UK government opted to wait until 1 April to introduce similar checks on imports.

Mr Withers says: "Those checks, when they're put in place, could also make things slow, more expensive and a lot more complex for EU businesses who need to sell products into businesses here.

"And that's a big issue for supermarkets and will be a big issue for many food companies who get ingredients from Europe."

One of those companies is Charles Stamper Fruit and Veg in Edinburgh which sources much of its produce from Spain and the Netherlands.

Managing director Louise Stamper says: "One thing for certain is prices will go up.

Ms Stamper founded the firm 32 years ago with her husband, Charles. They normally supply fresh fruit, vegetables and other produce to the hospitality industry, schools and nursing homes.

Like many businesses they saw a heavy impact last year due to the Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns.

Ms Stamper says the first lockdown in March last year saw them lose all but a handful of their customers.

Switching to home deliveries helped but they didn't come close to making up for the lost trade. A year ago the firm employed 30 people. Now it has 15 staff.

Making matters worse, Ms Stamper says imports are 20% more expensive than they were last winter, a rise which she attributes in part to Brexit-related border disruption.

Mr Withers reckons that the enforced closure of hospitality, entertainment and tourism due to Covid cost food and drink firms £3bn in lost sales in 2020, in a sector worth £15bn annually to the country's economy, including £6bn of exports.

What really surprised the Finlays though was the realisation that the EU-mandated checks and paperwork would also apply to trade with Northern Ireland where they had developed a number of loyal customers.

The reason lies in the deal formalising the UK's exit from the EU which allowed Northern Ireland to remain in the single market to prevent the potentially incendiary return of an Irish land border.

Instead there is now an Irish Sea border: dividing the UK, outraging unionists and leading to shortages of some goods in Northern Ireland.

"We hadn't seen that [Brexit] would also close the route to Northern Ireland because we're actually physically nearer to Belfast than we are to Glasgow and Edinburgh," says Ms Finlay who says she was deeply disappointed to be forced to stop supplying her Northern Irish customers.

Never mind,

350 million per week to the NHS,

Blue passports, 

Sunlit uplands,

Chances to display Union Jack behind ministers on TV,

etc, etc,

5 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Impact on an Edinburgh business and others...

But, but  "£<insert number of choice>M daily for the NHS !",  "German car manufacturers will still want to sell cars" and "they need us more than we need them".

The Road Haulage Assoc has been scathing about UK govt delays (hence the spin that things are being put off until April this year) and openly attacked Gove to the point he refused to meet them.

Anyone with half a brain knew what was coming and here we are : the consequences of brexit. 

Where I live is brexit central : rabid Tory MPs  who are all ERG cult members , surrounded by punters who have no care or interest in what they voted for (they voted to leave and that's the extent of their interest in the matter) . If it all goes badly they'll just blame it on the EU. 

Keep in mind that this is STILL the transition period.

April and July are the two thresholds when all the transitions run out and the ERG Hard Brexit wet dream becomes reality.

That's when the shite is really going to hit the fan.