Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Who would have imagined that doing business is a bit complicated?

Whether in the EU or out.

It was pretty straight-forward doing business with the EU yesterday, remember? But Leavers were promised “less red tape”.

We now know that Leaving translates to an extra 215 million Customs Declarations a year at an additional cost to UK businesses of £7 Billion.

None of which should require you to use your “imagination”, as presumably, you knew what you voted for.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

It was pretty straight-forward doing business with the EU yesterday, remember? But Leavers were promised “less red tape”.

We now know that Leaving translates to an extra 215 million Customs Declarations a year at an additional cost to UK businesses of £7 Billion.

None of which should require you to use your “imagination”, as presumably, you knew what you voted for.

I did not vote for Brexit. But having looked at the 70 pages exciting the remainers on here I see a few diagrams about what needs to be done of which no more than a few would apply to any single business. I doubt it would take more than 10 minutes for most businesses to read and digest the guidance given. Most of what needs to be done can be done on line. But time will tell and if chaos ensues in the next days or weeks I will be proved wrong.

How many pages would be needed to describe what is required to.meet EU regulations?

Source for the 7 billion cost of customs declarations?

Edited by Francis Albert

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I did not vote for Brexit. But having looked at the 70 pages exciting the remainers on here I see a few diagrams about what needs to be done of which more than a few would apply to any single business. I doubt it would take more than 10 minutes for most businesses to read and digest the guidance given. Most of what needs to be done can be done on line. But time will tell and if chaos ensues in the next days or weeks I will be proved wrong.

How many pages would be needed to describe what is required to.meet EU regulations?

But it has to be done for every item, for every transaction, for every consignment, every day, for ever.

It didn't yesterday.

Deal, oven ready.

Uplands, sunlit.

****, cluster. 

Konrad von Carstein
23 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

He didn't vote though, his wife was Leave/Remain he was the opposite so they cancelled each other out, apparently...He should keep his ****ing trap shut on this issue...

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

But it has to be done for every item, for every transaction, for every consignment, every day, for ever.

It didn't yesterday.

Deal, oven ready.

Uplands, sunlit.

****, cluster. 

We shall see. I have a bit of faith in UK businesses which have sustained a better trade balance with non-EU countries than they have with EU countries despite all the supposed advantages of being EU members. 

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

He didn't vote though, his wife was Leave/Remain he was the opposite so they cancelled each other out, apparently...He should keep his ****ing trap shut on this issue...

Why? If I had voted remain as was my inclination and my wife had voted leave which was her rather stronger inclination my views on this issue would be no different from which it is today.

Edited by Francis Albert

The costs of the free trade agreement will be borne by us the UK  buyer. We were lied to and duped by bigoted charlatans and chancers. Our current PM is one such liar and charlatan. The way he lives his personal life is reflected in his working life. 

There is a chance to rejoin the EU in the future (albeit in a weaker position) there is reportedly, MEPs willing to encourage future UK governments to reapply (The Sunday Times).

When the reality of the crap deal we, sorry Boris, has signed is realised the UK voting public will turn on the charlatans who brought this on us.
I suspect there will be a huge push to get this current government out in the not to distant future. 

WorldChampions1902
25 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I did not vote for Brexit. But having looked at the 70 pages exciting the remainers on here I see a few diagrams about what needs to be done of which no more than a few would apply to any single business. I doubt it would take more than 10 minutes for most businesses to read and digest the guidance given. Most of what needs to be done can be done on line. But time will tell and if chaos ensues in the next days or weeks I will be proved wrong.

Source for the 7 billion cost of customs declarations?

Widely reported at the time, except I suspect in the Daily Mail or Barclay Brothers Bugle. https://www.ft.com/content/fbc6f191-6d69-4dcb-b374-0fa6e48a9a1e

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why? If I had voted remain as was my inclination and my wife had voted leave which was her rather stronger inclination my views on this issue would be no different from which it is today.

You did not vote, therefore, you should shut your cakehole ...

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

So much for freedom of speech.

WorldChampions1902

The FT? Now remind me what side it was on.

If your point is that FT reporting is not impartial, you really are clutching at straws. That same article also quotes and extra 50,000 Customs staff required which is the government’s own figure. You might want to give this thread a miss for a wee while whilst you get up to speed.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The costs of the free trade agreement will be borne by us the UK  buyer. We were lied to and duped by bigoted charlatans and chancers. Our current PM is one such liar and charlatan. The way he lives his personal life is reflected in his working life. 

There is a chance to rejoin the EU in the future (albeit in a weaker position) there is reportedly, MEPs willing to encourage future UK governments to reapply (The Sunday Times).

When the reality of the crap deal we, sorry Boris, has signed is realised the UK voting public will turn on the charlatans who brought this on us.
I suspect there will be a huge push to get this current government out in the not to distant future. 

I suspect you may be disappointed. Even a huge push won't get this government out for 3 or 4 years. 

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Francis Albert said:

So much for freedom of speech.

No. You were given an opportunity to vote, you declined, therefore, shut the **** up...

Francis Albert
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

No. You were given an opportunity to vote, you declined, therefore, shut the **** up...

My wife and I agreed not to vote as our votes would cancel each other out. We were in California at the time of the vote and didn't see the point in arranging a postal vote. But if you can explain why we should have done ...

2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I suspect you may be disappointed. Even a huge push won't get this government out for 3 or 4 years. 

By all accounts Boris will be gone by spring. Once the real costs of Brexit are realised no government who voted this stupidity through will ever survive that. The Tory’s will turn on themselves as we witnessed only last year as they squabbled over which deal to go with. 
The sooner they are out the better for me.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

If your point is that FT reporting is not impartial, you really are clutching at straws. That same article also quotes and extra 50,000 Customs staff required which is the government’s own figure. You might want to give this thread a miss for a wee while whilst you get up to speed.

Was the 50000 based on deal or no deal?

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

My wife and I agreed not to vote as our votes would cancel each other out. We were in California at the time of the vote and didn't see the point in arranging a postal vote. But if you can explain why we should have done ...

And again, you could have voted, but did not...therefore you should zip it...your decision not to vote makes any of your utterances on the subject nil and void...

Francis Albert
Just now, Boy Daniel said:

By all accounts Boris will be gone by spring. Once the real costs of Brexit are realised no government who voted this stupidity through will ever survive that. The Tory’s will turn on themselves as we witnessed only last year as they squabbled over which deal to go with. 

Labour as well as Conservatives voted it through overwhelmingly so who are the succesors? 

Francis Albert
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

And again, you could have voted, but did not...therefore you should zip it...your decision not to vote makes any of your utterances on the subject nil and void...

Well try ignoring them.

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Well try ignoring them.

I normally do....however, your hypocrisy stuck in my craw tonight...you comment vociferously on something you DID NOT VOTE ON....*expletive^

WorldChampions1902
8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Was the 50000 based on deal or no deal?

Honestly, you really are tedious. You doubt the credibility of a widely reported story which appeared in the FT and ask me to provide my source, which I duly do. You then challenge me with the question above after I have suggested you do some homework before continuing commenting on here. A question that is already answered on the FT link I provided you!!  Well here you go, I am quoting from aforementioned article:-
“Mr Gove has not disputed industry estimates that some 50,000 new private sector customs agents will have to be hired by business to deal with formalities at the UK-EU border — regardless of whether the two sides reach a trade deal”.

Gie it a rest man!

Edited by WorldChampions1902

5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Boris Johnson has done what he was expected to do, and I think he'll be gone soon enough.  My guess is that the Tories won't be turning on themselves any time soon.  There's a deal in place.  It's a bit ropey in parts, but there's enough in it to keep most people on board.  The Conservatives will stay in power through to whenever the next election is due, and possibly to the one after as well.

Labour as well as Conservatives voted it through overwhelmingly so who are the succesors? 

Labour voted it through as the alternative was chaos. 
Successors? They are there amongst the Benches at the moment and anyone who declares they would rejoin the EU. 

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

but there's enough in it to keep most people on board. 

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Conservatives will stay in power through to whenever the next election is due, and possibly to the one after as well.

I hope you are wrong on both these things. 
There will no doubt be some bumpy times in the coming weeks and months which will be glossed over by the government but continued rough times will stir the public into action. 
They won’t be voting the Tories, or certainly this current lot, back in at the next election which is in about 4 years time. I suspect it will happen sooner than 4 years.

My suspicion is based on two things, the shambles we have had with Covid and the coming storm that will be the reality that Brexit was a big mistake as hit hits home in the pockets of the ordinary punter. 

WorldChampions1902
7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I wasn't expecting that.  Doggo border in the Irish Sea. 

sad%2Bdog.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This is a very sad situation indeed. Tonight, some retailers are refusing to deliver to NI as well. What this pattern is showing is that there are going to be many, many technicalities that require resolving and IMHO, this will go on for years. And that’s before we even get down to the real hard work required in EU negotiations for the 80% of business in the Services sector. Leavers think it’s done because that is what the media and government are telling them. How wrong they are!

Edited by WorldChampions1902

4 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I hope you are wrong on both these things. 
There will no doubt be some bumpy times in the coming weeks and months which will be glossed over by the government but continued rough times will stir the public into action. 
They won’t be voting the Tories, or certainly this current lot, back in at the next election which is in about 4 years time. I suspect it will happen sooner than 4 years.

My suspicion is based on two things, the shambles we have had with Covid and the coming storm that will be the reality that Brexit was a big mistake as hit hits home in the pockets of the ordinary punter. 

I'd like to be wrong on those things.  Not because Brexit, but because Tories.

But the Tories have until late '23 or early '24, and I think that this deal will settle things down, as it was meant to do.  Trade between the UK and the EU will be trickier than it has been, but it should (for the most part) be easier than no-deal would have been.  That should be enough to stabilise things and give certainty to businesses.  It should also be enough to take this issue off the political agenda.  It won't go away as an issue between the UK and the EU, but it will settle down and become a technical issue rather than a political one.  Once that happens, domestic politics should take centre stage again.  Then we'll see what the Conservatives are made of, politically speaking.

11 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

This is a very sad situation indeed. Tonight, some retailers are refusing to deliver to NI as well. What this pattern is showing is that there are going to be many, many technicalities that require resolving and IMHO, this will go on for years. And that’s before we even get down to the real hard work required in EU negotiations for the 80% of business in the Services sector. Leavers think it’s done because that is what the media and government are telling them. How wrong they are!

The financial services stuff is wrapped up in some negotiations that are supposed to be taking place at the WTO level across all the main trading blocks.  I think the UK is likely to hold its own in those negotiations.  They will lose a bit of business to the EU, mainly Germany, the Netherlands and Ireland, but not so much as to do any real damage to the British economy (all IMO, and I could be wrong).

I'd be a little more concerned about services other than finance.  The people I work for have handed a lot of business in the last few years to UK consultants and UK academics - and by that I generally mean English consultants and academics.  Why?  Because we share a language, they are good at their business and they compete well on price.  But if we have to pay more for their services - directly or indirectly - we will start giving that business to others.  Irish and NI consultants obviously have an advantage dealing with us, but we are now finding that consultants from Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands are able to compete effectively for English-language business.  And now the Canadians (via CETA) are getting in on the act.

Edited by Ulysses

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Good comment on the situation.    Some folk seemed to think that just seeing next to no lorry queues in Kent would indicate that  everything was fine.    Loopholes and missing/ambiguous detail will be bubbling up regularly in the coming weeks and months I reckon.  Anyone care to bet when the first dispute between the EU and the UK over an incident of non-compliance in some area of the Trade Agreement will crop up ? :whistling:

manaliveits105

The Conservatives will stay in power through to whenever the next election is due, and possibly to the one after as well.

I know and that’s brilliant

Sturgeon the liar however will suffer for the SG poor handling of the epidemic 

11 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I thought he voted remain and was just going by the democratic will of the people. Now he's saying he didn't vote. He's at it. 

I'll be honest, I voted remain only to kick-start Indyref2, nothing more, nothing less. EU membership could be good for Scotland, but it could also be bad. I think the good outweighs the bad.

The UK was a sovereign state member of the EU with alsorts of goodies, unlike Scotland, who are ruled by another, the same other who have just supposedly taking back the sovereignty they will now deny Scotland. And any Scot who sides with that, well...  Just look at Michael Gove for an example of that kind of Scot. A creepy, lying, backstabbing cretin, who had to go to England to be voted in and is now as we speak, hatching a plan to become PM of England and overlord of Scotland. 

Anyway, HNY and hopefully everyone will be over this virus, soon. 

32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I thought he voted remain and was just going by the democratic will of the people. Now he's saying he didn't vote. He's at it. 

I'll be honest, I voted remain only to kick-start Indyref2, nothing more, nothing less. EU membership could be good for Scotland, but it could also be bad. I think the good outweighs the bad.

The UK was a sovereign state member of the EU with alsorts of goodies, unlike Scotland, who are ruled by another, the same other who have just supposedly taking back the sovereignty they will now deny Scotland. And any Scot who sides with that, well...  Just look at Michael Gove for an example of that kind of Scot. A creepy, lying, backstabbing cretin, who had to go to England to be voted in and is now as we speak, hatching a plan to become PM of England and overlord of Scotland. 

Remember this story https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/boris-johnson-resign-spring-2020-3848608

Maybe Gove will get his chance in the Spring?

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Good comment on the situation.    Some folk seemed to think that just seeing next to no lorry queues in Kent would indicate that  everything was fine.    Loopholes and missing/ambiguous detail will be bubbling up regularly in the coming weeks and months I reckon.  Anyone care to bet when the first dispute between the EU and the UK over an incident of non-compliance in some area of the Trade Agreement will crop up ? :whistling:

Funnily enough, I said to a friend that I reckon we will be engaging in the new EU/UK disputes process by March. At which point the congenital liars will be playing the victim card, that the U.K. is being bullied accompanied with copious statements about “sovereignty”. How that will sit with Gobjob’s recent declaration that he had secured “our cake and eat it”, will matter not a jot to the hard of thinking. They will engage their “cakeholes” to swallow every word.

The lorry situation is yet another good example of how the media and Leavers try to portray the opposite to reality. They chose a major Bank Holiday shortly after a mad rush before to ship goods before the new arrangements arrived, to suggest that there are no problems (and will be no problems) at the ports. Yet again, many people will swallow that. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence however will realise that problems are inevitable for quite some time.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

An independent Scotland wouldn't meet the economic criteria for joining the EU for a long long time, so you'll not have to worry about it anytime soon.

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

The lack of lorry tail backs in Kent didn't stop the Guardian from publishing yesterday a week old photo of thousands of lorries parked at Marston airport as a foretaste of what was to come. The airport was cleared of lorries in less than 24 hours between Christmas day and Boxing Day, apart from half a dozen that had broken down . Of course the only connection between that disruption and Brexit was Macron's decision to use Coronavirus as a way to gain approval with French voters and perhaps influence the tail end of Brexit negotiations. 

Anyway there will certainly be disruptions and and inconveniences to come, certainly more than the threshold required for the Guardian and others to get their wish to cry "We told you so". Time will tell whether the disruption is worse than the not infrequent  parking of lorries and queues of cars on the M20 due to French fishermen blocking the French Channel ports in protest against something or other or French railway workers strikes. 

Sad day indeed. I am European/Scottish and proud of it and the day Scotland rejoin as a independent nation the better. If it means suffering the SNP for any period of time then so be it. 

Crazy thing to do at any stage but now in the midsts of a global pandemic and economic crisis it just makes this all the worse. 

Tory party are poison. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Sad day indeed. I am European/Scottish and proud of it and the day Scotland rejoin as a independent nation the better. If it means suffering the SNP for any period of time then so be it. 

Crazy thing to do at any stage but now in the midsts of a global pandemic and economic crisis it just makes this all the worse. 

Tory party are poison. 

If you have a current passport have a look at what is says under citizenship. It will not be either of the things you say you are. 

Ainsley Harriott
10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Tory party are poison. 

A European Scottish that's a new one. You realise we are still in Europe unless there has been some sort of ice age type event and the continental plates have moved?

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

If you have a current passport have a look at what is says under citizenship. It will not be either of the things you say you are. 

I really couldn’t care what the passport says. I consider myself Scottish/European. I have a Hebridean background with Nordic and Celtic genetics. I am about as European as it comes. 

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

A European Scottish that's a new one. You realise we are still in Europe unless there has been some sort of ice age type event and the continental plates have moved?

I get that. Just disappointed that freedom of movement has been ripped away. 

Seymour M Hersh
29 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I really couldn’t care what the passport says. I consider myself Scottish/European. I have a Hebridean background with Nordic and Celtic genetics. I am about as European as it comes. 

You tell em son. However legally you may not have a leg to stand on. :lol:

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, pablo said:

An independent Scotland wouldn't meet the economic criteria for joining the EU for a long long time, so you'll not have to worry about it anytime soon.

Exactly we haven’t a scooby of gaining EU membership due to economic reasons despite the cringey and embarrassing “ leave a light on fir Scotland “ message from Sturgeon thd other night on Twitter 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

My voting on Brexit would have been an utterly meaningless gesture for reasons I have explained more than once. I leave that sort of meaningless gesture to the SNP and Scottish Parliament.

JudyJudyJudy
32 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yes we will always and have always been European ! 

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, pablo said:

but what about Mike Russell’s dads war story surely that will help 

:ears:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes we will always and have always been European ! 

And British, even once we are independent.

Auld Reekin'
18 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

And British, even once we are independent.

Well, Brit-ish...   :ermm:

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

People seem to think we are leaving Europe. We're simply leaving a political union that is hellbent on becoming the United States of Europe.  Margaret Thatcher saw the early signs of this 30 years ago and it's been bubbling over ever since with the Maastricht and Lisbon treaties. We've never been more than a peripheral member anyway, as we have never had any intention of joining the Euro nor becoming involved in any further integration It's worth pointing out to Sturgeon and her fellow fantasists that "independence in Europe" simply isn't possible. The EU 27 are not independent as they cannot control their laws, money or borders. The aim of the EU is for borders to disappear not to indulge fanatical, inward looking Nationalists like Sturgeon, Mike Russell and their acolytes. The deal is not perfect but we'll thrive as members of a common market that frees us of the odious ECJ, repatriates our money and allows us to strike deals with other nations as we see fit. Anyone who considered themself a European citizen before, can still do so now