Stand by (a bit longer yet) for an announcement

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Point being made is that our recruitment sucks, slight improvement this window granted but we still have a lot of work to do to rectify the last 3 Windows. For what it's worth couldn't care less about Partick just an example of what's out there compared to the Martins, Oshiniwas of this world.

It's a slightly skewed picture due to Cathro and the army of mercenaries he was allowed to bring in during January. Like Thistle (as an example) the manager got the team together and got them playing. We were 2nd in the league when he left so recruitment wasn't that bad at that stage. Osh Sammon and Martin are the high profile flops that everyone having a go points too but in and around that there was some very good signings. Cathro has set us back both in terms of growth and with his ridiculous hiring and letting go of players that were better than what he brought in. Leveins biggest fault was trusting the guy.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingantti1874

It's a slightly skewed picture due to Cathro and the army of mercenaries he was allowed to bring in during January. Like Thistle (as an example) the manager got the team together and got them playing. We were 2nd in the league when he left so recruitment wasn't that bad at that stage. Osh Sammon and Martin are the high profile flops that everyone having a go points too but in and around that there was some very good signings. Cathro has set us back both in terms of growth and with his ridiculous hiring and letting go of players that were better than what he brought in. Leveins biggest fault was trusting the guy.

Still not convinced some of the January guys were that bad.. Struna and tziolis would have done well under a decent manager imo

Still not convinced some of the January guys were that bad.. Struna and tziolis would have done well under a decent manager imo

Possibly but it was clear as day Tziolis couldn't give two shits about Cathro and he was just using us to keep fit for a few months. Struna was ok a decent squad player.

The same people who constantly have a go at Levein and the recruitment tend to be the same ones who wanted Neilson out. Yet they can't have it both ways. If recruitment was that bad, surely 3rd and then 2nd by Christmas or so is great work from Neilson? 

Fact is it's the January window that was the terrible one and it was a disaster to change the squad so much, despite it being needed in some ways to cover for injuries and African Cup of Nations absences. The previous January was also poor in terms of failing to replace Sow, however Souttar did sign in Feb that year. The other windows ranged from great to meh. 

The same people who constantly have a go at Levein and the recruitment tend to be the same ones who wanted Neilson out. Yet they can't have it both ways. If recruitment was that bad, surely 3rd and then 2nd by Christmas or so is great work from Neilson?

Fact is it's the January window that was the terrible one and it was a disaster to change the squad so much, despite it being needed in some ways to cover for injuries and African Cup of Nations absences. The previous January was also poor in terms of failing to replace Sow, however Souttar did sign in Feb that year. The other windows ranged from great to meh.

Indeed. The football wasn't great under Neilson but it's now clear to see he was getting the best from what he had. Not replacing Sow was a crucial point in the progression. But then he wasn't easy too replace.

I still can't get my head round Ozturk and Muirhead leaving when they did. What really winds me up is Cathro was a coach yet he didn't coach one single player. Even as a shite manager/head coach he just simply failed at every level. The plane brigade must be so proud..won't be anything to do with them of course all Leveins fault no doubt!

Steady Colin... your boss ain't keen on all this false idols carry on.

Note the small "s".    :wings: 

No problem with trying something different, except the whole "continuity" angle has been proven to be bullshit.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Watt-Zeefuik

Someone in the "out of the box" ideas thread hinted at Martin Rennie who I think would be a fantastic pick who could work under Levein but has substantial experience.

It was already insinuated in one of the McLaughlin threads, but if I had to guess the next head coach and it was not someone already mentioned in the press, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink would be a realistic/intriguing option. Obviously he has the connection to McLaughlin due to the period of time they were both at Burton, so him signing would make a lot of sense (outside the fact that an experienced keeper is needed). Funnily enough, both he and McClaren were at the Burton match this past Friday, so they might have even had a chat about the job, as Levein and McClaren are supposedly fairly close via a mutual friend. Complete guesswork, but I think it could be a shrewd appointment. 

Daly winning this weekend and him not getting the job would be a great statement from the club.

Obviously whoever gets the job ahead of him is a different matter.

Bazzas right boot

Possibly, they had the pedigree.

We also made too many changes at once, the entire defence got wiped out for one reason or another. Imo that was the biggest issue.

Tziolos did have a touch of the pallardo's tho. Just too slow in possession.

Basically a diasaster all round.

The new Manager badly needs an injection of drive and pace we are still missing that.

Captain Canada

I think Struna was ok at times but his lack of fitness didn't help. He doesn't appear to have found a new club yet as far as I can see.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say the new man may not take up his post as head coach until the 11th September....plenty time for knicker soiling. We will see two new players before then....Who will provide a clue to his identity.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say the new man may not take up his post as head coach until the 11th September....plenty time for knicker soiling. We will see two new players before then....Who will provide a clue to his identity.

In other words, Michael O'Neill will take it after Northern Ireland's international games.

Nice thought but won't happen.

The Treasurer

Point being made is that our recruitment sucks, slight improvement this window granted but we still have a lot of work to do to rectify the last 3 Windows. For what it's worth couldn't care less about Partick just an example of what's out there compared to the Martins, Oshiniwas of this world.

Slight improvement ???

Can you tell me which players from the likes of Thistle, StJ & Ross Co would you have signed INSTEAD of the ones we have recruited during this transfer window.

In other words, Michael O'Neill will take it after Northern Ireland's international games.

Nice thought but won't happen.

No.

Liam Lindsay, kris doolan, chris erskine, ohalloran, davies, Boyce, wetherspoon, would all improve our team.

The day we sign Wotherspoon to improve our team is the day I start looking for my pitchfork.

WGS or one of his team ?

Bold prediction based on any real knowledge or just another of the thousands of "hunches" we've had on here in the past month? 

Bold prediction based on any real knowledge or just another of the thousands of "hunches" we've had on here in the past month? 

My hunch is that it is a hunch :2thumbsup:

It is actually astonishing how people just blindly believe all the shite in the Scottish media. Rangers and Celtic for example sign players every season that were not identified by the manager. It's mental. :lol:

I rarely read Scottish media, and I am quite capable of looking at the situation and coming to the conclusion that a DoF for a club our size just isn't required and is a waste of a salary (regardless of who fills the role).

It's not mental, it's JKB, what a place eh.........

Snipped for brevity.

I see this a lot but don't get it -- what the reason why it "simply won't work?"  What is so special about Scottish football that is different than North American and continental sport management, aside from there being a very large old guard with one idea of how it will work who grumble when that changes?

I think if there's a problem, it's Levein himself, and not the system he's arranged. No one knows for sure aside from Robbie why he left in the middle of a campaign to go to a League 1 side, but that threw a wrench in the works in a season that we probably otherwise would have challenged for second.  But with Ross having left in a dispute, Daly being green, we had to jump for longtime Levein favorite Cathro, and it was a disaster. Is Levein simply either making bad hires or running off the good ones with his personality? I have no idea but he's made enough enemies in Scotland one has to wonder a bit.

I still think Levein gets at least one more head coach appointment to prove his own worth.  But even if he needs to go, I don't think the DoF system is the problem.

I think you ended up answering your own question as to why its flawed.

scott herbertson

Tomorrow morning. Or Tuesday?

Doubt it

My guess is Wednesday there will be an announcement

Bank holiday on Monday. Bit of tidying up contracts and talking to coaches etc on Tuesday, New guy announced on Wednesday, couple of new signings announced on Thursday.

Walker signs new deal on Friday

New man out campaign begins on Saturday

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Doubt it

My guess is Wednesday there will be an announcement

Bank holiday on Monday. Bit of tidying up contracts and talking to coaches etc on Tuesday, New guy announced on Wednesday, couple of new signings announced on Thursday.

Walker signs new deal on Friday

New man out campaign begins on Saturday

Another ordinary week ahead then

:thumbsup:

At the plot cermony today the FOH chairman that's on the board said they had selected a new manager but was sworn to secrecy by Ann and there will be an announcement this week but didn't give a day

Lord Beni of Gorgie

At the plot cermony today the FOH chairman that's on the board said they had selected a new manager but was sworn to secrecy by Ann and there will be an announcement this week but didn't give a day

Did he look excited nervous or suicidal?

JennytheJambo

I have heard it is Levein to be announced tomorrow. The one person that has now put himself in the spotlight, hiding behind Budge when things were going wrong and allowing Cathro to to take the brunt of all the fault. So if results don't go Levein's way, does he sack himself, very interesting!

Did he look excited nervous or suicidal?

Didn't give any emotion about it at all .didn't give it all the you'll be really pleased routine.just it will be announced this week

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Didn't give any emotion about it at all .didn't give it all the you'll be really pleased routine.just it will be announced this week

Cheers Scabber. Not long to wait now

Pressley.

You and your friends should have grabbed him and done a chinese burn until he told you.

Hopefully our finance director is putting some cash down at all the bookies at the same time!  Get the stand completed.

MacDonald Jardine

I must applaud AB and CL on this new football model that we are embracing, no seats for our new stand and no manager for the football team

It saves money though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have heard it is Levein to be announced tomorrow. The one person that has now put himself in the spotlight, hiding behind Budge when things were going wrong and allowing Cathro to to take the brunt of all the fault. So if results don't go Levein's way, does he sack himself, very interesting!

Did ye aye? Heard it on here?

No problem with trying something different, except the whole "continuity" angle has been proven to be bullshit.

Could be argued we didn't actually go with the continuity angle

You and your friends should have grabbed him and done a chinese burn until he told you.

Hopefully our finance director is putting some cash down at all the bookies at the same time!  Get the stand completed.

Could have just got the wife to sit on him and you all would have known who the new manager was seven hours ago. lol

Jambof3tornado

Could have just got the wife to sit on him and you all would have known who the new manager was seven hours ago. lol

Haha a wife worse than a chinese burn....you have my sympathies!!! Lol

Just kidding Mrs Scabber (in case she monitors your jkb usage).

Independence

Give it a rest. Show some respect to one of Hearts greatest players, one of our best managers and a man who, like us (although I doubt your loyalty) is working hard to get Hearts back to where they belong. Its easy to bash such tripe out on a keyboard.

jambogirlglasgow

I was at the FOH plot ceremony today and the chat was that it'll be announced tomorrow or Tuesday morning. Those who know wouldn't say but from what I was told, I believe (like it or not,) that it'll be Elvis. That's what I concluded.

I was at the FOH plot ceremony today and the chat was that it'll be announced tomorrow or Tuesday morning. Those who know wouldn't say but from what I was told, I believe (like it or not,) that it'll be Elvis. That's what I concluded.

It will be Pressley. There will be no big surprises next week. Budge wanted him, Levein wanted Daly. Budge has decided.

Archived