The terrible thing that's happened in america

hueyview

You seem sympathetic to Trump and what he stands for?  Which is fair enough.

Personally I think the guy is a chump and swither between thinking he is simply a Patsy for someone or something that is the real power behind the throne, or that he is for real and if so is a complete loon.

Either way the statements he makes are extremely worrying.

Ditto.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't the 'Counter-protestors' have a legal right under the First Amendment to protest against whatever they want to protest against?

Well legally they were in the wrong as large protests and rallies need to be organised with the local authorities (hence the ridicule Trump got for saying they didn't have 'a permit' :lol: ).

But yes, they could stage a demo supporting the opposite views and values of that of the Nationalists. But that's not they were doing, they were trying to shut down and surpress the voices of the nationalists by blocking their routes, chucking rocks, etc.

To me it seems either you have to accept that as part of having freedom of speech then what you see as repugnant views also get to be voiced, printed and aired...

or, you oppose freedom of speech in favour of government regulating what people can/can't say, placing what does/doesn't constitute 'hate speech' in the hands of politicians & judges (or dictators and theocrats depending on where you live).

You seem sympathetic to Trump and what he stands for? Which is fair enough.

Personally I think the guy is a chump and swither between thinking he is simply a Patsy for someone or something that is the real power behind the throne, or that he is for real and if so is a complete loon.

Trump was a better candidate than Hillary, and the real reason he got elected imo was due to his campaign being left of her on economics.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I can't believe the vast majority of Republicans voting in the election really thought they were getting this unstable and dangerous buffoon as president. Hopefully he will be removed from within before a full term of crazy statements and actions ruin it for everyone in the states and further afield. 

doctor jambo

You seem sympathetic to Trump and what he stands for?  Which is fair enough.

No doubt the guy is a loon,

but he was a democratically elected loon, who his opponents are trying their best to remove using undemocratic means

He is going through what corbyn faced over here

In many ways what he is facing reinforces what the alt right believe

That the media and liberals hate them and will do whatever they can to remove their voice.

The similarities between USA 2017 and the inter war years in Germany are scary

and the dialogue is the same

An establishment not listening to a large movement with battered self esteem, going through hard times, who have seen "their" way of life, values and country being taken away from them by an arrogant and distant elite who seem bent on driving an agenda that they see as ruining "their" country

The visible white supremacist movement is only the tip of the iceberg, there will be many more who have sympathies for some of their message

Had mainstream USA accepted Trump, ridden it out for 4 years, instead of this constant attack on him then the more moderates would naturally gravitate back to the middle ground

The more you demonise the more likely people are to radicalise

You cannot attack peoples beliefs and expect them not to fight back

the UK govt ignored such noises re immigration, Islamisation and so on and were rewarded with UKIP and Brexit

A softer approach may have avoided this

They perceive "their" country is being taken away from them

An establishment that dismisses the fears of its people gets "this" problem- radicalisation, violence and discord

But unless I've misunderstood, your analogy meant that Obama was more similar to a notorious bandit, and Trump more similar to someone crucified by the crowds, despite having lived an entirely blameless life. :lol:

If you meant something else, tell me what you did mean.

Irrespective of Trumps word he is demonised by the chattering band waggoneers, that?s all.

Ignorance and a wilful adherence to follow the crowd is king.

But because of the cross my interest in the crowd died long ago.

There you go I did it again.

doctor jambo, do you think that we will soon see organised groups of radical homophobes and mens' rights groups 'fighting back' against gays and women being given equal rights?

Have the mainstream been too heavy-handed in dismantling institutional homophobia?

(Ok, there's still plenty rampant misogyny around, but even Trump has no interest in reducing women's pay, or their right to vote - heck, he probably wouldn't be where he is without them voting for him.)

doctor jambo

doctor jambo, do you think that we will soon see organised groups of radical homophobes and mens' rights groups 'fighting back' against gays and women being given equal rights?

Have the mainstream been too heavy-handed in dismantling institutional homophobia?

(Ok, there's still plenty rampant misogyny around, but even Trump has no interest in reducing women's pay, or their right to vote - heck, he probably wouldn't be where he is without them voting for him.)

As part of other groups then yes- its already happened

Islam has seen this already- groups perceived a threat to their religious beliefs and lifestyle and there rose ISIS- basically Islamic supremacists- a radical minority with a lot of sympathy amongst less radical Muslims for what they were standing for

UKIP the same

I wouldn't say the "mainstream" has been too heavy handed, because their aims are laudable, and not before time.

But you can do things in a subtler manner than

"anyone who disagrees is a racist/homophobic/misogynist ****"- which is how it has sort of been handled even here.

Well legally they were in the wrong as large protests and rallies need to be organised with the local authorities (hence the ridicule Trump got for saying they didn't have 'a permit' :lol: ).

But yes, they could stage a demo supporting the opposite views and values of that of the Nationalists. But that's not they were doing, they were trying to shut down and surpress the voices of the nationalists by blocking their routes, chucking rocks, etc.

To me it seems either you have to accept that as part of having freedom of speech then what you see as repugnant views also get to be voiced, printed and aired...

or, you oppose freedom of speech in favour of government regulating what people can/can't say, placing what does/doesn't constitute 'hate speech' in the hands of politicians & judges (or dictators and theocrats depending on where you live).

That's a choice America has been faced with for many many years now.

Irrespective of Trumps word he is demonised by the chattering band waggoneers, that?s all.

Ignorance and a wilful adherence to follow the crowd is king.

But because of the cross my interest in the crowd died long ago.

There you go I did it again.

Genuinely interested in how your evangelical Christianity leads you to support Trump, or at least condemn widespread criticism of him.

The Bible says "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Where is the evidence of the latter on the part of Trump?

Both the early church, and splinter groups which said that circumcision was still necessary, were movements which drew followers. I take it you think one crowd was better to follow than the other?

I doubt I have to spell out how far Trump's attitude to money, sex and power are from the evangelical interpretation of 'biblical'.

2016: Trump Disavows Racist Elements of so-called ?Alt-Right?

Not long after winning the presidency, Trump disavowed the racist elements of what the mainstream media termed the ?alt-right.?

From CNN on Nov. 23, 2016:

?I don?t want to energize the group, and I disavow the group,? Trump told a group of New York Times reporters and columnists during a meeting at the newspaper?s headquarters in New York.

?It?s not a group I want to energize, and if they are energized, I want to look into it and find out why,? he added, according to one of the Times reporters in the room, Michael Grynbaum.

Matthew 21:28-31a

"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ?Son, go and work today in the vineyard'.

"?I will not,? he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

"Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ?I will, sir,? but he did not go.

"Which of the two did what his father wanted?"

John Findlay

Genuinely interested in how your evangelical Christianity leads you to support Trump, or at least condemn widespread criticism of him.

The Bible says "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Where is the evidence of the latter on the part of Trump?

Both the spread of the gospel, and the emergence of splinter groups which said that circumcision was still necessary, were movements which drew followers. I take it you think one crowd was a better one to follow than the other?

I doubt I have to spell out how far Trump's attitude to money, sex and power are from the evangelical interpretation of 'biblical'.

"What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ?Son, go and work today in the vineyard'.

"Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ?I will, sir,? but he did not go.

Neither.

Exactly, but when has there ever been a right time?

Meanwhile the bigots and racists are free to spout their hate.

Never.  It's the one thing the States is more liberal about than the rest of the world, and I'm glad for it.

The solution to people who spout hate rising up because a government that supports and empowers them is in place is not to take away some of the rights of everyone and give that power to that same government.

No doubt the guy is a loon,

but he was a democratically elected loon, who his opponents are trying their best to remove using undemocratic means

He is going through what corbyn faced over here

In many ways what he is facing reinforces what the alt right believe

That the media and liberals hate them and will do whatever they can to remove their voice.

The similarities between USA 2017 and the inter war years in Germany are scary

and the dialogue is the same

An establishment not listening to a large movement with battered self esteem, going through hard times, who have seen "their" way of life, values and country being taken away from them by an arrogant and distant elite who seem bent on driving an agenda that they see as ruining "their" country

The visible white supremacist movement is only the tip of the iceberg, there will be many more who have sympathies for some of their message

Had mainstream USA accepted Trump, ridden it out for 4 years, instead of this constant attack on him then the more moderates would naturally gravitate back to the middle ground

The more you demonise the more likely people are to radicalise

You cannot attack peoples beliefs and expect them not to fight back

the UK govt ignored such noises re immigration, Islamisation and so on and were rewarded with UKIP and Brexit

A softer approach may have avoided this

They perceive "their" country is being taken away from them

An establishment that dismisses the fears of its people gets "this" problem- radicalisation, violence and discord

Good article from Simon Jenkins yesterday making similar points. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/16/donald-trump-supporters-liberals-sneer

Pieces like that always ignore that these people are coddled politically in the States by the GOP.  They are never challenged, never told to reexamine any of their views, their votes are simply vacuumed up by people willing to play to their ignorant bubble.  It's doubly ironic because there is nothing liberal about the Democratic Party's platform or politics, but because the Dems don't pander to them, they don't get any of their votes.  Obviously, labelling an entire class of voters as "deplorables" and the like is not helpful.  But this has hardly been a one-way street.  America's love affair with ignorance has been fuelled by the Republicans for 50+ years now.

Both the early church, and splinter groups which said that circumcision was still necessary, were movements which drew followers. I take it you think one crowd was better to follow than the other?

If one voted for politicians based on an earned righteousness points system, then no one would be elected as leaders.

As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; Romans 3:10.

Indeed it does.

However, the madness and hatred being stirred up by the media cabal is unprecedented and sometimes unwarranted and wrong.

Where have I painted Trump as a shining example of humanity?

Salvation through Christ alone, not through Christ and circumcision. Forget the crowd.

Are you in a position to judge? To know what?s true or untrue in the heart and mind of others.

Are you without sin? Full of righteousness.

Christ died and rose again for all.

But you have a choice.

maroonlegions

Trump is racist  by nature and a KKK sympathizer, he stinks of it and so does sections of his family tree.

He was spitting feathers when asked to denounce these neo nazis and KKK infiltrators. "Nice fellows" was one fecking phrase he used .

People banging  on about freedom of speech  for these neo nazis, and that they should have a  right to march too :facepalm: ,  freedom to openly display hateful racist banners and flags that is symbolic of denying others their right and freedom. :vrface: 

Fecking tragic, i mean feck off. 

These poor targeted fascists and neo nazis eh, they are  in the minority and trying secretly to play the victims here.

Pigs, utter vermin, they cry freedom to march and free speech, well tough, they attack the freedom of others by their racist hatred of others due to race, kin and colour.

That their values and CORE beliefs threaten the  freedom of others of the non white gene pool is the reality here, no matter how much spin is put on it by the likes of Trump and idiots like him.

And by that definition their rights to openly display such hatred towards others  should be removed.

How the feck can they even contemplate or expect that right of freedom of speech and  right to march, when they are trying to deny others their freedoms, fecking thick racist fekwits.

And again by that definition their rights to openly display and march in that name of denying others their freedoms  that right to do so should be removed, nothing more nothing less.

Tell me one fecking person in WW2 who hated the nazis, and all they stood for ,would  have allow such marches or an open display of support to go ahead, freedom of speech and marches??  feck off, they deserve neither. 

Racist  and fascist spin doctors out in force trying to defend such neanderthals is cringeworthy also.

Zero tolerance for neo nazis, racists  and fascists , that is how you stamp out such open displays of racist and fascist hatred. 

The U.S. was one of three countries to nix a resolution condemning glorification of Nazism, citing freedom of speech issues and concerns Russia was using it to carry out political attacks against its neighbors
CBSNEWS.COM

:vrface:

maroonlegions

Christ died and rose again for all.

But you have a choice.

Did all those blacks that have died at the hands of the KKK have a choice??

Did all those jews that died at the hand of the nazis have a choice.?? That their was swasta flags and salutes witnessed at this march makes it all more difficult to hide in religious scriptures. 

Did anyone that has died, suffered, or even took their own  life because of racists and fascists  have a choice??

Did they feck, and all those that hide from that reality in biblical or religious doctrines are simply avoiding that reality, why?? 

Zero tolerance for neo nazis, racists  and fascists , that is how you stamp out such open displays of racist and fascist hatred. 

The U.S. was one of three countries to nix a resolution condemning glorification of Nazism, citing freedom of speech issues and concerns Russia was using it to carry out political attacks against its neighbors
CBSNEWS.COM

:vrface:

I think you?ll find that regardless of the badge it wears, left or right, black or white, evil is evil.

Satanic in its origin.

Did all those blacks that have died at the hands of the KKK have a choice??

Did all those jews that died at the hand of the nazis have a choice.?? That their was swasta flags and salutes witnessed at this march makes it all more difficult to hide in religious scriptures. 

Did anyone that has died, suffered, or even took their own  life because of racists and fascists  have a choice??

Did they feck, and all those that hide from that reality in biblical or religious doctrines are simply avoiding that reality, why?? 

With respect, I don?t quite follow.

maroonlegions

A Charlottesville Nazi posted a video whilst wearing a Johnny Cash t-shirt. Johnny Cash's children have just responded in blistering fashion.

20842149_1885903228328282_24057721243340

:jjyay:

If one voted for politicians based on an earned righteousness points system, then no one would be elected as leaders.

As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; Romans 3:10.

See, I thought you might come back with something like this about all being equal in the sight of God.

Which begs the question, why comment on politics, politicians or media coverage thereof at all?

(I'm not sure I really want to know the answer, though.)

Theres always a feeling that when having reached the Golden years that you have seen wickedness, barbarity , to its extremes, and the actions such as war that were carried out to stop it.  From very tender years I witnessed on newsreels men in uniform with the same badge on their arms goose stepping proudly in front of their leader who stood straight despite his diminutive figure and gave a straight arm salute, this in front of hundreds of thousands adoring citizens.  I also a wee bit older saw this group of fanatics destroyed, apparently, their legacy never to allow it to happen again.

I also remember in those tender years the great hilarirty engendered by a fairly fat comedic character who was a dictator, and close ally of the formerly mentioned dictator.  This ones forte was his public speaking, his pursing and pouting of his lips, his body turns to the left and right to emphasise his points, and the holding of the pose for affect, all came to a stop with his hanging by his population from a street lampost, again never to be allowed to return.

I watch with horror the extreme resemblance of the marchers on Saturday carrying torches and shouting loudly denunciations of Jews and others, it was never supposed to happen again.

I watched the Presidential Campaigns, I saw a couple of candidates I could have lived with, and I saw one that I wondered why he would waste the money in his effort, I was so wrong he won the elction and became President.  What I still see from that candidate is his public speaking particularly in the campaign style which to me was so reminiscent of the lamp standard dweller Mussolini. It just all goes to prove that the more things change the more they stay the same.

See, I thought you might come back with something like this about all being equal in the sight of God.

I'm not sure all being equal in the sight of "God" makes it OK to be racist, but no doubt some of the right-wingers can justify explain.

alwaysthereinspirit

A Charlottesville Nazi posted a video whilst wearing a Johnny Cash t-shirt. Johnny Cash's children have just responded in blistering fashion.

20842149_1885903228328282_24057721243340

:jjyay:

Get it right up you ya dirty Nazi bar steward. He'll be outed now if he hasn't been already.

maroonlegions

Belter, loving this quote.

I mean human rage/emotions can influence so much in life.

20881870_498901417121917_285983309916922

:laugh4:

The idiot driving into the crowd.....on the news...

I studied american civil war at Edinburgh university as part of my degree, back in the day. Trying to destroy statues of General Robert E Lee, is like the Taliban destroying the great statues in Afghanistan.

He was a great general and soldier, distinguished at west point... And seen as a hero of the south....

I am naturally, predetermained to be a Yankee with my Irish american roots, but the cr?eping neo facist liberalism makes my skin crawl.

I am clearly opposed to Trump-ism...but why tear down an american generals statue, unless to cause division and hate...

Yeah.

Francis Albert

Having spent a fair bit of time in the States both before and after the election of Trump, that strikes me as exactly the sort of smug and trite "humour" (pouring every day out of the media on the coasts) that probably helped swing the election in favour of Trump and (as Simon Jenkins suggests) may yet help him to a second term.

deesidejambo

Having spent a fair bit of time in the States both before and after the election of Trump, that strikes me as exactly the sort of smug and trite "humour" (pouring every day out of the media on the coasts) that probably helped swing the election in favour of Trump and (as Simon Jenkins suggests) may yet help him to a second term.

Indeed the sad irony is that Trump was elected because of their efforts, not despite them.  Well done Hillary.

Meanwhile, lets keep prodding the far-right.  Lets keep niggling and aggravating them as much as possible.  Tear down their statues and make lots of silly memes about them.

But dont then greet when they bite back.

AlphonseCapone

Indeed the sad irony is that Trump was elected because of their efforts, not despite them. Well done Hillary.

Meanwhile, lets keep prodding the far-right. Lets keep niggling and aggravating them as much as possible. Tear down their statues and make lots of silly memes about them.

What do you mean exactly, they taking down statues or creating memes gives them justification for violence?

Or by biting back do you mean them making their own memes.

Indeed the sad irony is that Trump was elected because of their efforts, not despite them. Well done Hillary.

Meanwhile, lets keep prodding the far-right. Lets keep niggling and aggravating them as much as possible. Tear down their statues and make lots of silly memes about them.

If a council votes to take down a statue from a municipal park, or someone posts a piss-taking picture/message on the internet, I still think have a right to greet if someone then drives a car into a crowd of people.

What a ****ing bizarre post.

Which begs the question, why comment on politics, politicians or media coverage thereof at all?

(I'm not sure I really want to know the answer, though.)

You can ask all the questions you want or not.

But please don?t put your words in my mouth.

Thanks.

zoltan socrates

The weekend or Stalin? What an ignorant bitch, who is she?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Ach, chuck some misogyny into the mix too. Why not, eh?

doctor jambo

Handy how the left are excused the extremes of their beliefs , yet the right are not.

The left have killed many more than the right ever have .

Dialogue must be had with the alt right

Discourse

Consensus

Villification whilst earned will not solve the issues

Handy how the left are excused the extremes of their beliefs , yet the right are not.

The left have killed many more than the right ever have .

Dialogue must be had with the alt right

Discourse

Consensus

Villification whilst earned will not solve the issues

Appeasement?

That worked fine last time eh?

zoltan socrates

Ach, chuck some misogyny into the mix too. Why not, eh?

lol, thats misogyny? No wonder we are where we are, sorry precious, you want a cuddle?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

lol, thats misogyny? No wonder we are where we are, sorry precious, you want a cuddle?

It's definitely misogynistic to call a woman a 'bitch'.

zoltan socrates

It's definitely misogynistic to call a woman a 'bitch'.

im not getting into it with someone whos so fragile, enjoy the rest of the thread

Francis Albert

I have no idea and wouldn't go for the "bitch" bit. But the smug ignorance that the "weekend" may not mean so much to the core Trump voters who are unemployed or reliant on them or their spouses or family members working weekends to make ends meet is typical of the liberal/left/consensus media and right-on twitters. 

A bunch of grumpy middle-aged saddos defending the indefensible behaviour of right-wing louts.  The very definition of pale, male and stale.  :laugh:

Interestingly enough, an opinion poll taken by Marist in recent days suggests that a majority of people in the USA think the statues should be left where they are.  Even among African-Americans, more people felt the statues should stay put than felt they should be removed.

I watched probably for the 100th or so time that march and the cry of "You will not replace us" . How are they going to make sure replacement does not take place. Politically, legal isolationism, prison camps I am quite curious, generally when making an order or even if it is just a request you do have a solution, even Hitler and company had a solution, it became known as the Holocaust.

I watched probably for the 100th or so time that march and the cry of "You will not replace us" . How are they going to make sure replacement does not take place. Politically, legal isolationism, prison camps I am quite curious, generally when making an order or even if it is just a request you do have a solution, even Hitler and company had a solution, it became known as the Holocaust.

Bob, these groups also say that they are going to 'take back the streets' and that they are 'going to cleanse the streets'.

Just who are they going to take the streets back from and who are to be cleansed, is not hard to figure out when they openly express their hatred for Blacks, Jews, Gays and just about anybody else who is not like them, add in the fact that they are arming themselves to the teeth and you have the means to take the streets back.

They want a race war, this will enable them to achieve their aims.

deesidejambo

If a council votes to take down a statue from a municipal park, or someone posts a piss-taking picture/message on the internet, I still think have a right to greet if someone then drives a car into a crowd of people.

What a ******* bizarre post.

Nothing bizarre about it except your bias.

As I posted, these people are armed, dangerous, and stupid.

By provoking them, as you advocate, you make things worse.

They will respond, with violence I expect.

So I say stop provoking them. Stop it. Then, as I also posted, engage in consensus style politics to find peaceful solutions.

But you just want to keep on stabbing at them, keep on irritating them, in which case if they do respond, you take in some culpability for whatever they respond with.

Archived