Cooncil Elections

Gershwin

Genuinely believe that most of these new Tory voters would have voted Labour in a heartbeat had they been in a decent state.

I struggle to believe that so many in Scotland identify with the values they are currently pushing.

I would have much rather seen the Lib Dems gain a bigger foot hold, a party also opposed to a second independence referendum. Why did those wishing to "get it up" the SNP not vote for them instead?

Prepare for a very hard Brexit...

All a bit sad really.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pans Jambo

Genuinely believe that most of these new Tory voters would have voted Labour in a heartbeat had they been in a decent state.

I struggle to believe that so many in Scotland identify with the values they are currently pushing.

I would have much rather seen the Lib Dems gain a bigger foot hold, a party also opposed to a second independence referendum. Why did those wishing to "get it up" the SNP not vote for them instead?

All a bit sad really.

I was a Labour voter for years and years but just look at them now.

They are that bad that their support has went to the Tories. Like Rangers fans getting a season ticket at Parkhead  :rofl:

ToadKiller Dog

Hard core unionists came out to vote and have went from Labour to Tory seems to be the theme .

With the Snp holding where they are or slightly up in some .

In England Ukippers have moved to Tory no shock in that Ukippers were set up to move England to the right and it's worked .

Dawnrazor

All a bit sad really.

So why didn't people vote lib dem or green? Is it the indy2 protest?

There is alternatives to SNP and Tory but they went Tory, why?

Mars plastic

All a bit sad really.

I struggle to believe that in 2017 there are still so many bitter jocks who want to blame the shortcomings of our government on the C&U's.

Dawnrazor

I struggle to believe that in 2017 there are still so many bitter jocks who want to blame the shortcomings of our government on the C&U's.

I agree with this, the alternatives were there, but people voted Tory.

Wow, coming from a nationalist, that's a real surprise. I particularly liked fattie's honesty that we would be using the pound as our currency.

Well we could have had we wanted to, nothing to stop any country using anothers as its currency.  So not really a lie...

Ouch, that's got to smart a bit being so close to the site of the "car plant shut by the Tories".

So why didn't people vote lib dem or green? Is it the indy2 protest?

There is alternatives to SNP and Tory but they went Tory, why?

Because they successfully pushed their agenda in Scotland as a protest vote against Indyref2. Fair play to them, they have done very well in that regard.

However, the wider Tory party will now see this as a vindication of their recent exploits with regards to Brexit, and that is one that I doubt that many in Scotland identify with, seeing as the majority voted remain.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well we could have had we wanted to, nothing to stop any country using anothers as its currency.  So not really a lie...

Aye, provided you get lots of reserves at the central bank so that you don't run out of money and you pay higher interest rates on government debt more akin to commercial lending.

I agree with this, the alternatives were there, but people voted Tory.

Because the media narrative and in fairness to the Tory Party their own propaganda, has worked in their favour.

Labour are a shambles, the Lib Dems are somewhat of an irrelevance (as per...) but the Tories have played the independence card to their advantage.

Trouble is, those that have flocked to them on that single issue will now reap what they have sown on a whole lot of other things.  Same in rUK regards Brexit.

A very simple, one dimensional campaign on a single, emotive issue and people are handing over the levers of government to these sorts.

Once the true Tory policies kick in and people realise that they are responsible for giving them that mandate (because that's how it will be spun...the people voted Tory because ALL of our policies are great!) then perhaps there will be further movement politically.

If you're not a Tory but vote Tory to get it up the SNP and you end up with a Tory government and Tory policies then it's not really anyone elses fault but your own.

Westminster election in June will be interesting, that's the real Tory test in Scotland. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is nothing more than a vanity project for Corbyn and his mates. They are absolutely destroying the Labour Party. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Trouble is, those that have flocked to them on that single issue will now reap what they have sown on a whole lot of other things.  Same in rUK regards Brexit.

A very simple, one dimensional campaign on a single, emotive issue and people are handing over the levers of government to these sorts.

How exactly does that differ from the SNP?

Aye, provided you get lots of reserves at the central bank so that you don't run out of money and you pay higher interest rates on government debt more akin to commercial lending.

Not really interested about the mechanics Geoff, merely the supposition that Scotland couldn't use the pound.  Of course it could.  Whether that was a rational choice or a good choice is here nor there.

AlphonseCapone

Huge gains for Tories in England and Scotland predicted to be big Tory gains as well.

So much for the Indy campaigners when the main unionist party is making larger gains than the Nats.

Blows away their argument for an Indy Ref 2. Still there will be some deluded fuds clinging to the last thread of their tartan tat kilts in desperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easier to make big gains when you start from shit.

Thunderstruck

Apparently Fergisley Park has its first Tory counselor ever.

It is just a bit of a media spin on things to say Ferguslie has gone Tory. Paisley North West contains much more than the infamous scheme. Castlehead, for example, is at the other end of the spectrum.

Thunderstruck

Was the same true ten years ago today?

Fair point.  As I would see it, the SNP are more in line with Labour, Lib Dems sort of centre left social democratic type of party, so independence aside, a party with policies and values akin to those other parties I mentioned.

The Tories on the other hand are further to the right, again as I see it, and so someone with centre left ideals suddenly supporting the Tories seems rather bizarre.

It is just a bit of a media spin on things to say Ferguslie has gone Tory. Paisley North West contains much more than the infamous scheme. Castlehead, for example, is at the other end of the spectrum.

Ma big Sis stays in Castlehead. No Tory vote in ma brother in laws Hoose.

Because the media narrative and in fairness to the Tory Party their own propaganda, has worked in their favour.

Labour are a shambles, the Lib Dems are somewhat of an irrelevance (as per...) but the Tories have played the independence card to their advantage.

Trouble is, those that have flocked to them on that single issue will now reap what they have sown on a whole lot of other things. Same in rUK regards Brexit.

Once the true Tory policies kick in and people realise that they are responsible for giving them that mandate (because that's how it will be spun...the people voted Tory because ALL of our policies are great!) then perhaps there will be further movement politically.

If you're not a Tory but vote Tory to get it up the SNP and you end up with a Tory government and Tory policies then it's not really anyone elses fault but your own.

Westminster election in June will be interesting, that's the real Tory test in Scotland.

Folk cutting off their nose to spite their face mate. Oh so Typically Scottish

Folk cutting off their nose to spite their face mate. Oh so Typically Scottish

You may have a point there...

:-(

Speaks volumes regards Tory policy!

Not really. Brexit won. Why vote UKIP?

Similar would happen to the SNP up here with independence. Difference is the SNP do have policies beyond independence and are a bigger party so the effect would be slower.

Bowmans_Boot

Not really interested about the mechanics Geoff, merely the supposition that Scotland couldn't use the pound. Of course it could. Whether that was a rational choice or a good choice is here nor there.

Very true.

Mars Plastic's "fattie" "bitter jocks in tartan tat kilts" etc etc comments are why I rarely post about politics on here.

Quite pathetic that grown ups cannot debate in a grown uo manner.

Winning in Shettleston with a blue rosette is massive whatever you think.

Curtice on the BBC updates is saying the SNP are now facing the lower end of their predictions for this election and Tory gains in their areas are bigger than expected.

Don't belittle an emerging threat like this too soon.

Thunderstruck

It doesn't - the SNP support cares not a jot about effective government or placing on some half baked political grid. Their core support votes for them irrespective of performance in government.

Like their party, independence transcends all else to the Nats and what does it matter if poor and infirm or young and aged have to make sacrifices along the road.

David Torrance suggested recently that "peak SNP" and "peak Sturgeon" have passed. For the sake of the country, we can only hope he is right and we are seeing the first glimmer of realisation among the softer SNP vote.

Fair point.  As I would see it, the SNP are more in line with Labour, Lib Dems sort of centre left social democratic type of party, so independence aside, a party with policies and values akin to those other parties I mentioned.

The Tories on the other hand are further to the right, again as I see it, and so someone with centre left ideals suddenly supporting the Tories seems rather bizarre.

The thing is the SNP have been playing the vote for us to protect Scotland from the Tories hand for so long that it has made it a lot easier for the Tories to go with vote for us to stay in the Union (or even just to show the SNP you're not happy with them)..... & both parties have been quite successful in portraying Labour & the Lib Dems as a wasted vote.

Far too simplistic to say this Tory boost is simply unionism. I think the areas they're seeing major gains in (rurally) are traditionally Tory areas anyway. Like it or not Ruth has rehabilitated her party to a huge extent.

Labour's continued decline isn't just hard core "yoons" backing a better horse. It's also got a lot to do with a resurgent Liberal party and a growing Green movement. The SNP also sit on the centre hoovering their middle class support up.

Labour's issues go beyond the constitution. Equally a Tory revival does too. The SNP must surely reassess their positions ahead of the General Election. Wards in Perthshire are recording 12% swings to the Tories in some reports. I think that would put the fear onto the incumbebt MP there if replicated across the seat.

The thing is the SNP have been playing the vote for us to protect Scotland from the Tories hand for so long that it has made it a lot easier for the Tories to go with vote for us to stay in the Union (or even just to show the SNP you're not happy with them)..... & both parties have been quite successful in portraying Labour & the Lib Dems as a wasted vote.

:spoton:

Also chuck in the undertone of "Greens? Indy can only be delivered by a strong SNP stuff". Ie Tommy Shepherd calling on local pacts.

AlphonseCapone

Was the same true ten years ago today?

Of course it was. Do you think there was some sort of temporal dimension to my statement?

AlphonseCapone

Winning in Shettleston with a blue rosette is massive whatever you think.

Curtice on the BBC updates is saying the SNP are now facing the lower end of their predictions for this election and Tory gains in their areas are bigger than expected.

Don't belittle an emerging threat like this too soon.

Calm your jets. I'm not belittling anything. I made a mathematical truism. The SNP can't make enormous gains when they are almost at their maximum. The tories on the other hand can.

It was obvious to anyone with a brain cell that the Tories would be the big winners from this, the SNP levelling and Labour the big losers. It's been apparent for months.

There are multi-faceted reasons for it; brexit, independence, local issues, incumbent Government, political apathy etc. No one is down playing the Tory achievement, nor should anyone be surprised.

The Real Maroonblood

Very true.

Mars Plastic's "fattie" "bitter jocks in tartan tat kilts" etc etc comments are why I rarely post about politics on here.

Quite pathetic that grown ups cannot debate in a grown uo manner.

You are correct.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Not really interested about the mechanics Geoff, merely the supposition that Scotland couldn't use the pound.  Of course it could.  Whether that was a rational choice or a good choice is here nor there.

Sounds like a Corbyn style policy all round.

Sounds like a Corbyn style policy all round.

That's as maybe Geoff, but completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

jambo lodge

Absolutely delighted to see the Tories gaining ground in Scotland. Nicola and chums will need to be very careful going forward the SNP have reached their peak and are now being found out as simply a Party of whingers.

Calm your jets. I'm not belittling anything. I made a mathematical truism. The SNP can't make enormous gains when they are almost at their maximum. The tories on the other hand can.

It was obvious to anyone with a brain cell that the Tories would be the big winners from this, the SNP levelling and Labour the big losers. It's been apparent for months.

There are multi-faceted reasons for it; brexit, independence, local issues, incumbent Government, political apathy etc. No one is down playing the Tory achievement, nor should anyone be surprised.

Good post.

A nice win for Le Pen on Sunday and it will be a good few days politically

:verysmug:

John Findlay

When the Labour Party allow people of the calibre of Diane Abbot to speak for them on national television and basically deny it has been an absolute horrendous night for them. Then Labour are Donald Ducked before they have even started.

Labour are in for a hammering in England come June the 8th.

Absolutely delighted to see the Tories gaining ground in Scotland. Nicola and chums will need to be very careful going forward the SNP have reached their peak and are now being found out as simply a Party of whingers.

From what I see, it seems that in the main the Tories are winnings eats from Labour primarily.

Which is interesting.

SNP are also making gains from Labour.

All we are seeing is the final collapse of Scottish Labour and their votes being split 50/50 between SNP and Tory.

When the Labour Party allow people of the calibre of Diane Abbot to speak for them on national television and basically deny it has been an absolute horrendous night for them. Then Labour are Donald Ducked before they have even started.

Looking awfully like it!

Diane 'Everyone is a racist' Abbot you mean.

Horrendous woman.

Radio Ga Ga

Absolutely! Wee Nippy will be convening an emergency meeting to try and stop the momentum in the run up to the June election, as I write the Tory's are up 65 seats and the Snats down 3, repliacted at the GE and its going to be fantastic logging in here on the 9th June, the tears and snotters from our resident Snats is going to be delicious

doctor jambo

SNP suffering from appealing to the lower demographics thus isolating the middle classes who are, frankly, fed up with this- SNP are turning themselves into Labour, so these folks are returning to their old habits of voting Conservative

These folks cannot vote Labour Corbyn

They do not want independence

So its back to conservative

Radio Ga Ga

SNP are also making gains from Labour.

All we are seeing is the final collapse of Scottish Labour and their votes being split 50/50 between SNP and Tory.

Eh No! Have a look at the results already declared, no way has the vote been split 50/50, the SNP are DOWN 3 seats and the Tory's up 65

John Findlay

Diane 'Everyone is a racist' Abbot you mean.

Horrendous woman.

Actually the most horrendous female in UK politics is Harriet Harman.

Actually the most horrendous female in UK politics is Harriet Harman.

Fair few contenders.  Sturgeon by a landslide.  Mairi Black too.

Thunderstruck

John Nicholson coming across as a bit of a fool on BBC2 just now. No change there.

jambo lodge

From what I see, it seems that in the main the Tories are winnings eats from Labour primarily.

Which is interesting.

Correct, but what is interesting is the seats they are winning eg Aberdeenshire/ Perthshire are target seats in the General Election.

Radio Ga Ga

Tory's now up 80 seats, SNP down 11, interesting times ahead...

Ron Burgundy

Tory's now up 80 seats, SNP down 11, interesting times ahead...

Where's Cosmic Fish poster?

Crying into his wee dram?

Archived